X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Post by TCrouch »

I tried a search and found no posts on this whatsoever, either with X-COM or XCOM, which floored me.

This thing comes out on Tuesday (October 9th) and I don't think I've been so hyped to play a game since Skyrim. For those that don't know, X-Com is on the short list of "Best PC Games of All Time" almost everywhere. It's turn-based, so that will turn off a lot of people right there. But when I heard that they were going to remake X-Com on current consoles with current technology, I was sold. When I heard it was being done by Firaxis (Civilization developer), I was amazed. They did a hell of a job with Civilization Revolution on the consoles, so I wondered what they could do with the X-Com license.

Reviews are starting to pop up, and I know most people don't think much of Game Informer, but they gave it a 9.5.

For people who don't want to read a long-winded explanation, it boils down to this:

An alien force is invading.
You are commander of X-COM, created to defend the Earth.
When a UFO is spotted, you send out an interceptor team to take it down.
When it hits ground, you launch a ground team to investigate and wipe out aliens.
When you finish the mission, you can bring back tech to analyze and perform R&D on, building stronger defenses/weapons against them.
You choose which projects to work on, which take time, and have to make choices on compromises constantly...who to defend, whether you save China's factories or the US' resource distribution as both are being invaded at the same time, etc.

Knowing that the graphics look like Gears of War, but the gameplay is classic turn-based X-COM is a huge boost to me.

Anybody else planning on picking it up next week?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: X-COM: Enemy Unknown

Post by webdanzer »

I'm there with you. Hope it's most like the original X-Com out of those games in the original series, as the sequels didn't do as much for me. X-Com and Jagged Alliance are some of my all time favorite games, though, so I have to at least give this one a look.

I admit to having doubts that they will make a game as hard-core as the original in this day and age, though, despite developers who have the ability.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Pre-order via Steam.

Which reminds me I have a free copy of Civ V on steam.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

X-COM is right there with Pirates! as one of my unimpeachable objects of unending devotion. I will buy anything with either of those brands on it. The amount of happiness I derived from the original is worth at least a lifetime of buying mediocre follow-ups.

If they came out with X-COM branded insulin injections I'd probably buy them, and I'm not even diabetic.

So yeah, I'm a little psyched. One of the GWJ Conference Call guys got hold of a code and he was raving about it a couple weeks ago.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those are the types of responses I think any one of us who played X-COM, or even Terror from the Deep, has...which is why it amazed me to see we didn't have a SINGLE THREAD on this baby that's releasing in 4 days.

We're slacking!!!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Those are the types of responses I think any one of us who played X-COM, or even Terror from the Deep, has...which is why it amazed me to see we didn't have a SINGLE THREAD on this baby that's releasing in 4 days.

We're slacking!!!
In fairness this kind of came out of no where, for me anyway. I was confused as i thought the X-com they announced way back when was a shooter. Also there are only a handful of us PC gamers in here and when we start gushing Teal gets his panties in a wad :D

Just joking Teal don't kill me.
Follow Me on:

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Danimal wrote:Pre-order via Steam.
Ditto. Can't wait.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Danimal wrote:Also there are only a handful of us PC gamers in here and when we start gushing Teal gets his panties in a wad :D
This is also out for the consoles, which is where I'm buying it in a quixotic attempt to demonstrate that there is at least a little market for this style of game on consoles.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

webdanzer wrote:
Danimal wrote:Also there are only a handful of us PC gamers in here and when we start gushing Teal gets his panties in a wad :D
This is also out for the consoles, which is where I'm buying it in a quixotic attempt to demonstrate that there is at least a little market for this style of game on consoles.
My bad. I had no idea a game like this could be put on a console. Actually this scares me off a bit. Maybe I should try the demo.
Follow Me on:

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

I'm all on this as well. Console vesion though. I never played on PC, only the PS1 version back in the day. Looking forward to it.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Same reason I got the console version, Web. And Dan, that's something I thought at first. But after seeing some videos of it in action, it's not as different as you'd think. Whereas on the PC you'd click at a point and select the action, on the console you aim the camera at the point and hit a button. We're not talking about them turning it into a shooter (that's a different X-COM game that's been delayed a dozen times).

And if there's anybody I trust to do it, it's Firaxis. They did a fantastic job making Civilization Revolution a viable console strategy game. It's not the PC Civilization, naturally, but X-COM was never as crazy as Civ. It had its depth but the core of the game was the turn-based mission structure. And from what I've seen, that's completely intact. It's like playing a turn-based game with insane graphics, which I'll scoop up in a heartbeat.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

It looks like this'll be worth a look from me as well.

Funny, I remember early buzz giving way to this being some action shooter and only loosely tied to the original source material, but your description sounds pretty great for someone who enjoyed the original many moons ago.

I'll have to read up on some of those reviews now.

Thanks for the heads up!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The early description was for a completely different game.

This was a second game announced much later.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote:
My bad. I had no idea a game like this could be put on a console. Actually this scares me off a bit. Maybe I should try the demo.
Whichever GWJ guy who has played reacted strongly when the rest of the crew said it probably wasn't console-friendly. He said the interface was perfect for a 360 controller. Worth a listen to the first 20min of the show last week if you're interested. He drops a couple anecdotes that got me pretty fired up. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Trying to figure out if I'd like this. Being strategy is this more like Ruse, Lord of the rings, Halo Wars?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I saw a big sign in Gamestop when I was picking up NBA 2k -- I had no idea this was coming out.

I never played the original because I didn't have a PC that could run it. I am definitely interested in checking it out now.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:
TCrouch wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We're slacking!!!
In fairness this kind of came out of no where, for me anyway. I was confused as i thought the X-com they announced way back when was a shooter. Also there are only a handful of us PC gamers in here and when we start gushing Teal gets his panties in a wad :D

Just joking Teal don't kill me.

G'damn PC pussies... :D
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Have to admit: The demo was kinda fun; didn't expect to get drawn into it like I did. That said, I'm not sure it's a 60 dollar fun. How much micromanagement is in this type of game? I don't want to fool with managing resources, all that. I did like the strategy, though. Makes me miss Full Spectrum Warrior all the more. Not a huge fan of sci-fi games, but again, the strategy is hella cool.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

The whole thing is micromanagement and managing resources. What to build, what to R&D, what to defend and prioritize. The strategy mission part is the last part.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Game is legit.

Love all the modernization they did to it.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

TCrouch wrote:The whole thing is micromanagement and managing resources. What to build, what to R&D, what to defend and prioritize. The strategy mission part is the last part.

Ah. Thanks. No dice. Loved doing the missions; couldn't care less about the rest of it.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I try not to give into the hype too much, but between this and Dishonored, this could be the best release day of the year for me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I know most of you are playing on the console but if you find a way to turn off the pop up that appears every time I choose an option like overwatch, or fire etc than let me know. It's bugging the crap out of me.
Follow Me on:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

webdanzer wrote:I try not to give into the hype too much, but between this and Dishonored, this could be the best release day of the year for me.
Just watched the trailer to Dishonored and holy s*** balls...that was badass. Intense.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Danimal wrote:I know most of you are playing on the console but if you find a way to turn off the pop up that appears every time I choose an option like overwatch, or fire etc than let me know. It's bugging the crap out of me.
Yeah - saw that too - not sure how to turn it off either.

Really enjoying this game - the perfect modern update to X-COM.