Wii U - 11/18 @ $300/350

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Wii U - 11/18 @ $300/350

Post by Naples39 »

It's really hard to make myself care, but it's at least worthy of a mention.

Wii U coming in US on 11/18, $300 for 8GB HDD, $350 for 32GB. Both of those HD sizes seem a little small to me honestly.

Apparently the system only supports one controller? Wow, that is the opposite of a gathering around a Wii console.

I'm not sure of launch titles, but I think there's metroid, mario, Black Ops 2....

EDIT:
A range of launch titles have also been announced: ZombiU, Game & Wario, Project P-100, Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3. So far as we can gather, the price points for these haven't yet been disclosed.

The biggest talking point from the announcement, though, is the revelation that a replacement GamePad (the Wii-U’s new controller, which looks like an iPad crossed with an Etch-A-Sketch) will cost the equivalent of £107, or roughly $172. Although this sounds like an eye-watering price, it’s worth noting that none of the games announced for the Wii U so far use more than one GamePad in any case; additional players simply use the old Wii remote and nunchucks for multiplayer games.
http://www.denofgeek.com/games/22653/wi ... g-unveiled
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Wii U - 11/18 @ $300/350

Post by vader29 »

This is probably the first Nintendo console ever that I have no interest at all in playing.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

vader29 wrote:This is probably the first Nintendo console ever that I have no interest at all in playing.
Agree. Part of that is due to all the crapware they shoveled out for the Wii. When all was said and done, they had maybe a dozen games that were decent. If that.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

That's about what I thought it would launch at, and is a reasonable price for a new console. I won't be getting one any time soon, though, because I am more than happy with my PS3, Vita, and 3DS XL. The 3DS more than makes up for my Nintendo Jonesing since it has or will be getting the major Nintendo franchises. Other than the potential of that iPad-looking controller thingy and some first-party titles, I really don't see how the WiiU is an upgrade over the PS3/360. It will probably still be a huge seller and all the rage for holiday shoppers.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

toonarmy wrote:That's about what I thought it would launch at, and is a reasonable price for a new console. I won't be getting one any time soon, though, because I am more than happy with my PS3, Vita, and 3DS XL. The 3DS more than makes up for my Nintendo Jonesing since it has or will be getting the major Nintendo franchises. Other than the potential of that iPad-looking controller thingy and some first-party titles, I really don't see how the WiiU is an upgrade over the PS3/360. It will probably still be a huge seller and all the rage for holiday shoppers.
Right, Nintendo just hasn't convincingly sold the benefits of this setup. Why pay another $300 for the same games you already get on XBOX/PS3? The only thing differentiating it is the screen/controller and a few exclusives.

It's just not enough.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

This thing has the chance to be a bigger flop than the Vita (blows dust off Vita case)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I'm really surprised at how small the hard drive space is. Especially when you consider that when Sony and Microsoft eventually unveil their new consoles, I don't expect either console to have less than 100 GB.

Isn't this a first for Nintendo to not include a game with their console?

Nintendo moreso than Sony or Microsoft really tries to sell you on the extra accessories. They'll give you just enough to get started, but then you find that you need more and more add-ons. That's a big turn off for me.

Hard to tell obviously at this point if it's going to be a flop. The one thing it seems to have going for it is that it finally has better overall third party gaming support. But again, most people have a PS3 or 360 in their household.

No word on online network and how it's going to be set up this time around? Friends codes will not cut it.

The one positive thing is that you can use your sensor bar and Wii controllers so you're not obligated to go out and purchase a new controller. The price for an extra game pad is insane!

Glad my kids are not big Nintendo gamers. My son is strictly in to the PS3 and his friend's 360. My daughter is just fine gaming on the iPad.

This is a pass for me.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wait, Nintendo has another console coming out? :roll:

It's got turd written all over it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It should do better than the Vita. Mario, Metroid and even Pimkin should guarantee that.

Not likely to sell at the pace of the Wii.

But honestly, I'm not sure the other next gen consoles will take off either. Indications are that the jump in graphics won't be as great as in previous transitions and at best, the graphics will be something that was available on the PC several years ago.

They'll each end up having sold tens of millions 5-6 years from now. But probably not as many as they've sold this generation.

At the margins, people who bought consoles in the past will get a lot of their entertainment from smart phones and tablets and then question whether they still want a dedicated gaming device.

There will be enough core gamers to sell tens of millions but the numbers will be dwarfed by sales of mobile devices. At Christmas every year, parents who might have bought consoles as presents for their children will look at tablets instead.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I still think we're a ways away from being able to play A-level console games on tablets. I just don't see something like Call of Duty being enjoyable on a tablet (insert "when has Call of Duty been enjoyable?" joke). Same with Madden. Look at the big, big console sellers and the translation to tablet isn't there yet. I think we get one more moderately successful generation of consoles and then we'll see where we line up.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

what a stupid console.

That is all.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

vader29 wrote:This is probably the first Nintendo console ever that I have no interest at all in playing.
Ditto......

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

DivotMaker wrote:
Ditto......
Double ditto...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Will be interesting what game prices will be. As a consumer, I'm hoping to see between 40 and 50 dollars. Less of course would be welcome.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zero interest.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

sportdan30 wrote:Will be interesting what game prices will be. As a consumer, I'm hoping to see between 40 and 50 dollars. Less of course would be welcome.
What kills me is that even if they are priced at $40-$50, you're not going to see price drops for at least a few years on these titles, unlike with Sony/Microsoft, where game prices drop 4-6 months (?) after their release. Maybe with more 3rd party games, we'll see higher turnover for retailers, and thus more price drops?

That said, I'm not even close to being sold on buying a Wii U. I'm happy with my PS3/Vita, along with the Wii, which can give me my Nintendo fix (as you stated toonarmy).

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

pk500 wrote:Zero interest.
Just by clicking on the thread, you are at least in the 0.0001-0.1 interest range.

fsquid
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fsquid »

didn't even know it was coming out.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:This thing has the chance to be a bigger flop than the Vita (blows dust off Vita case)
That's a tall order. I think Sony has learned to take a decent design and just totally make their products irrelevant. Slapping a high price tag on their proprietary memory cards, little to no marketing and no price drop on the console. Yup can't see how you could possibly make that a winning formula. :lol:

That said I have some interest in the Wii U but will wait until a nice price drop of about $100 before I consider it.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Nintendo's first-party games are very fun. The thing about them, though, is that the vast majority of them do not require exactly massive specs. The greatness of the games has almost nothing to do with cutting edge graphics, but mostly has to do with excellent design. Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Mario Bros, Animal Crossing, etc. look about as good on Gamecube or DS as they do on a Wii or 3DS. The WiiU with specs more like a 360/PS3 is not going to bring anything much new to the table when it comes to the first-party franchises that I want to play. And if I want to play the big third-party titles then I will most certainly stick with the PS3, not to mention you get the exclusive Sony and MS games on their respective consoles. I also don't understand why the hdd on the WiiU is so small. I thought Nintendo was going to try to encourage more downloadable content on the WiiU. 32 GB in this day and age is a flipping joke. I know that you can connect an external hdd to the WiiU, but it is crap to have yet another piece of hardware in the entertainment center when a large internal hdd makes more sense. Judging by the responses on this forum thus far Nintendo is not going to sell many consoles to this type of demographic. Maybe they are banking on families, kids, and the most diehard of Nintendo fans to get a WiiU. And, who knows, maybe that is enough to make the console a success.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Games confirmed to be $59.99...sweet.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Yeah I was going to post that, higher game prices than the Wii.

So is MS and Sony going to try to push $65 or $70 games prices for their next gen consoles?

Not that mobile games are comparable but when a lot of people can get good entertainment from $5 games or even freemium games or real free games, the logic for raising console game prices is baffling.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Well to be fair, these games will be equivalent or literally the same exact game as on Xbox or ps3 games. Of course those games are going to be $60, regardless of console, and a 2-tier pricing scheme would be strange.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Just got through perusing the preorder pages of the games coming out for WiiU. Apparently the shovelware for WiiU is now going to be 49.99.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

fsquid wrote:didn't even know it was coming out.
Didnt know and dont care. I havent been 16 in 30 years.