Borderlands 2

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Borderlands 2

Post by Spooky »

Question: Do all characters have access to all gun types? Or do you have to play a specific character to get certain weapons?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

If it's anything like Borderlands 1, any character can use any gun type. it's just your abilities that you get with certain classes favor specific weapons. There's nothing to stop you from rolling an Assassin and leveling up assault rifles, though. Every kill you get with a weapon type makes you more proficient with it, and you do more damage and have better accuracy with that type of weapon.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I actually have it on pre-order, but have no idea when I can get over to my store to pick it up. Fingers crossed tomorrow night. My friends who have it now are having a blast with it though.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

TCrouch wrote:If it's anything like Borderlands 1, any character can use any gun type.
Yes it is. The major difference is the special skill for each characters. And the skill trees.

You can check out the skill trees for the 4 different characters here, http://www.borderlands2.com/us/#home

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I've purposely avoided anything and everything Borderlands 2 until I've played it :)

But thanks!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Not sure why I didn't warm up to the first one, but I'm liking this quite alot...even just messing with it solo. Gonna hopefully jump in a group this evening, and do some serious looting... :twisted:
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I enjoy solo just a little bit more, because sometimes I like to take my sweet time comparing the pick-ups. I am always up for co-op too.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

don't know why but it seems a lot harder than the first one.

Like it though
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Danimal wrote:don't know why but it seems a lot harder than the first one.

Like it though
That's my initial impression playing even on normal, but I assume once you level off a bit and get better weapons, it will be take less lead to kill those suckers.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

10spro wrote:That's my initial impression playing even on normal, but I assume once you level off a bit and get better weapons, it will be take less lead to kill those suckers.
don't count on it. The developer designed the sequel for co-op gameplay. (ie it's harder)

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

vinny-b wrote:
10spro wrote:That's my initial impression playing even on normal, but I assume once you level off a bit and get better weapons, it will be take less lead to kill those suckers.
don't count on it. The developer designed the sequel for co-op gameplay. (ie it's harder)
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying the first one had identical co-op gameplay and it scaled based on the number of humans in the party which this one seems to do. When I say it is harder it's the enemies I am fighting and their strategy that is making it harder.

I really love my sentry turret :)
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Interesting game...not sure if it's my cup of tea really (especially on a console), so I should have probably grabbed it for the PC instead. Oh well...we'll see how it goes. Looks cool and the mechanics seem fun, just don't think it'll stick with me that much.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Yeah - I'm not sure if I'm feeling this one that much as well. What really sucks is that something about the cel shaded graphics combined with the camera angle/movement makes me fairly motion sick. Ugh. Haven't had a FPS do that to me in a long, long time. Frustrating...

The graphics aren't nearly as sharp as I was anticipating either. It's very neat looking and colorful but it feels slightly blurry on my 360.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Started playing at 9 last night and the wife came in at 2am and asked if I knew what time it was. I thought it was around midnight - she wasnt pleased. And I saw a bunch of you guys still online when I got off.

I got to the Flynt battle and got destroyed! Only tried once before I turned it off, he is tough. Want to try out some coop now! Did anyone roll with the assassin build? I started with a commando, but was curious how the assassin played.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

After the Flynt battle when you get to Sanctuary things start to get tough IMO. There are all sorts of new baddies to deal with
Follow Me on:

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I'm not sure I understand how things work in this game. I started with the Zero character (Assassin I think) but have not yet learned any character specific specialties. Am I missing something?

Aslo - for every mission I get presented to me I have the option of accepting or declining. How do I know which are optional (side missions) vs. which I need to accomplish?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:Yeah - I'm not sure if I'm feeling this one that much as well. What really sucks is that something about the cel shaded graphics combined with the camera angle/movement makes me fairly motion sick. Ugh. Haven't had a FPS do that to me in a long, long time. Frustrating...

The graphics aren't nearly as sharp as I was anticipating either. It's very neat looking and colorful but it feels slightly blurry on my 360.
That's the other reason I should have gotten it on the PC. :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Spooky wrote:I'm not sure I understand how things work in this game. I started with the Zero character (Assassin I think) but have not yet learned any character specific specialties. Am I missing something?
I think your first skill point arrives at level 4 or 5. Not nearly as far away as it sounds, though.

Spooky, don't give up on this game until you level up some and play with a friend. It's dry at first, but as you improve there will be more and more absolutely hilarious and fun stuff.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

RobVarak wrote:
Spooky wrote:I'm not sure I understand how things work in this game. I started with the Zero character (Assassin I think) but have not yet learned any character specific specialties. Am I missing something?
I think your first skill point arrives at level 4 or 5. Not nearly as far away as it sounds, though.

Spooky, don't give up on this game until you level up some and play with a friend. It's dry at first, but as you improve there will be more and more absolutely hilarious and fun stuff.
Yeah - played a bit more and am definitely starting to see the greatness of it! Just jumped in a game with randoms and while fun, it was confusing as hell. I need a beginners guide to how the game works, especially in co-op!

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Saw you jump into my game, spook, but was just in there to check that my download code from amazon worked properly. Playing with mix and fshguy, so I don't want to jump ahead!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

re: "Jumping ahead" This game is essentially Diablo. The story is tertiary at best to the experience. Jumping in and out of the game at different points is not only acceptable, but encouraged. I wouldn't want to try to micromanage your way through the game or you'll be seriously limiting the people with whom you can play.

Similarly, it's possible and strongly suggested that you play with more than one toon. Try the other classes so that you can join any group without unbalancing the party.

Spooky, there are a few key mechanics to get hold of. First of all, the Second Wind/revive elements are important. When you're playing with teammates try to be cognizant of enemies with low health. Oftentimes a downed friend can easily pick off a weak mob and revive himself with SW rather than risking your life to revive.

The class skills are hugely important, hugely fun and generally have pretty quick cooldowns, so go crazy and have fun. Tough areas are often much less tough when you liberally use the class powers.

Obviously loot every damn thing you find. :)

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I agree with the very smart Mr. Varak. You're going to replay things a lot and if you really want the "story" which IMO is much better than 1. You should go through it solo or with one other guy. 4 player co-op people trigger cut scenes and finish quests that you are no where near.

I replayed the Flynt mission 3 times yesterday with different friends and ended up with a Blue kick ass shield on the 3rd play through thing has like 400 shield level or something.

I really like that you need to try guns out to see how they work for you. A lot of times more deadly weapons in stats aren't as good in game IMO. I hate that the PC version still doesn't support drag and drop in the inventory screens.
Follow Me on:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote: I really like that you need to try guns out to see how they work for you. A lot of times more deadly weapons in stats aren't as good in game IMO.
Gearbox are genius at making the player make tough decisions about gear. You often have to decide between a balanced weapon versus a super powerful weapon with poor accuracy versus a weak weapon with a sick ROF or environmental effects etc. all within the same weapon class.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Teal wrote:Saw you jump into my game, spook, but was just in there to check that my download code from amazon worked properly. Playing with mix and fshguy, so I don't want to jump ahead!
No worries at all. I was just messing around for a few minutes myself. What was the download code? I pre-ordered from Amazon as well.

I am still confused at what exactly I should be doing when I jump into a random game. Do I just follow the mission instructions on the screen? Are we all doing the same mission at the same time? Who triggers the missions?

To be abel to use the different classes, do I have to start a brand new game with each?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:What was the download code? I pre-ordered from Amazon as well.
Just gets you into some premier Borderlands 2 club. Not sure what that is even. lol I didn't get my code until late last night from Amazon.