Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: I also recognize that I probably won the panel lottery with this set, .
That's the thing, for every post like yours where people have no issues, there are 4-5 of people with issues. The ratio reminds me of the Xbox 360 problems.

Returning stuff to Best Buy is not as easy as it sounds.
It does seem like a high concentration of people reporting issues, yet the overall rating is four out of five starts at Amazon and 4.3 out or 5 at Best Buy. I can't reconcile that, but it is an enigma. Also, I've never had an issue returning anything at my Best Buy here in Rock Hill, SC, but I can't speak for your experience there.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

DivotMaker wrote:
Danimal wrote:I've waited for the new TCL 6 series to come out and the 55 inch 55R615 model is getting mixed reviews. Seems to be a pretty high rate of vertical banding issues and also dimming in the corners. Almost every negative review says the TV, colors, 4K are fantastic but these issues kill it.

So now I'm not sure what to do, the older 55P605 has higher reviews but it is the same price and I'm honestly not sure of the differences between the 2 TV's.

Anyone have experience with the new model?
JC has the new TCL 55R617 from Amazon and has none of those issues. He seems to be in love with the set.

Seems to be hit and miss.

I am also interested in the model you are and seeing mixed reviews. I'm waiting for my birthday in August and hoping a firmware update may address some of the issues described by other users. Seeing TCL CS reps responding to dissatisfied users at BB and Amazon.
That's why i passed on the TCL....too much hit and miss but i was close to pulling the trigger on one.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

FWIW - I have the TCL 55R617.

Definitely notice some vertical banding when watching the Cubs games. Not a deal breaker for me at this price point. Rest of the TV's great qualities way outweigh it's shortcomings.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Spooky wrote:FWIW - I have the TCL 55R617.

Definitely notice some vertical banding when watching the Cubs games. Not a deal breaker for me at this price point. Rest of the TV's great qualities way outweigh it's shortcomings.
It's a damn shame they can't seem to get a better handle on the quality control with this series. I feel very fortunate to have one that's flawless, and I'd like for everyone else who's purchased one to have the same experience I've had with it. I did read a post in the AVS Forum last night from someone who said their banding issues slowly disappeared over time. I can't imagine that's going to be the case with everyone. I've had my set for three weeks now, and I'm still in awe of it!

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Definitely a case of the people with issues being more vocal. Most people don't go to a site and review something that works. However there are so many people complaining it is hard to filter out the noise and give this a percentage. If TCL just came out an acknowledged the problem or said something like this is affecting 5% of our sets etc. Their silence compiled with complaints is what is keeping me away.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Disregard I am an idiot.
Follow Me on:

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

This TV linked below is on sale today during the Amazon Prime Day sale for $584.99 ($215 off). Is this the model everyone is going for? I am looking to upgrade from a very old Samsung 58 inch plasma that I love, but it is well past it's prime and not 4K, UHD, etc. I was hoping to go with a 65 inch, but the TCL 65-inch is more than $500 more than the 55 inch of the same model from what I can tell. Not sure that is worth that much extra money, but would love the larger TV. Navigating the reviews it is quite a wide range of people very happy, to people very unhappy. This TV will be used for gaming, sports, and movies, in that order, using a Xbox One X. I am not a setup/tweaking guy and would prefer something that will work well out of the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TCL 55-inch 4K Roku Smart TV - $584.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079N ... e-deals-20

TCL 65-inch 4k Roku Smart TV - $1,149.99
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079N ... ls-20&th=1

PS - Anyone had any good/bad experience with soundbars? Looking for a relatively easy and inexpensive way to improve the sound in basement to be used for gaming, sports, movies, and kids listening to music. Have been looking at the new Sonos Beam which releases tomorrow.

Sonos Beam:
https://www.amazon.com/All-new-Sonos-Be ... sonos+beam

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

DChaps wrote:This TV linked below is on sale today during the Amazon Prime Day sale for $584.99 ($215 off). Is this the model everyone is going for? I am looking to upgrade from a very old Samsung 58 inch plasma that I love, but it is well past it's prime and not 4K, UHD, etc. I was hoping to go with a 65 inch, but the TCL 65-inch is more than $500 more than the 55 inch of the same model from what I can tell. Not sure that is worth that much extra money, but would love the larger TV. Navigating the reviews it is quite a wide range of people very happy, to people very unhappy. This TV will be used for gaming, sports, and movies, in that order, using a Xbox One X. I am not a setup/tweaking guy and would prefer something that will work well out of the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS - Anyone had any good/bad experience with soundbars? Looking for a relatively easy and inexpensive way to improve the sound in basement to be used for gaming, sports, movies, and kids listening to music. Have been looking at the new Sonos Beam which releases tomorrow.

Sonos Beam:
John Cauthen has the exact same 55". I have the Best Buy version which is $50 cheaper since it does not have the voice remote.

I have read all of the positives and negative reports from users both at Amazon and BB. I love my set. For $600, you canNOT go wrong. If you want the bigger set, whether it is worth almost double the price is up to you. I have a 65" Samsung 8000 Series and my TCL has as good or better picture. Keep in mind MS is bringing Dolbyvision support to the Xbox One and X.

Can't comment on the Sonos piece, but any soundbar by Klipsch is a great investment as well and their wireless speaker hub and technology are supposed to be impressive, yet not cheap.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

DChaps wrote:This TV linked below is on sale today during the Amazon Prime Day sale for $584.99 ($215 off). Is this the model everyone is going for? I am looking to upgrade from a very old Samsung 58 inch plasma that I love, but it is well past it's prime and not 4K, UHD, etc. I was hoping to go with a 65 inch, but the TCL 65-inch is more than $500 more than the 55 inch of the same model from what I can tell. Not sure that is worth that much extra money, but would love the larger TV. Navigating the reviews it is quite a wide range of people very happy, to people very unhappy. This TV will be used for gaming, sports, and movies, in that order, using a Xbox One X. I am not a setup/tweaking guy and would prefer something that will work well out of the box. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sonos Beam:
I'm still loving my 55R617, that I paid $650 for. I've used the voice command on the remote twice, but I do like the fact that it's an RF remote, so I don't have to point it at the TV to use the remote commands.

I bought this set for the primary purpose of using it as a gaming monitor. Yesterday, I was watching the Deere Run Classic on it and found myself stunned yet again at how well this set performs across the board. It's a first rage gaming monitor though, with only 17ms of input lag when in Game mode... and IMO, it looks just as good in Game mode as any of the others.

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Best Buy's 65-inch version of the TCL set is under $1,000.

I decided to go with the Vizio P-65 after reading the reviews on RTings and catching it on sale. Have only had it for about a week, the Xbox One X looks fantastic on it. There are some issues with uniformity (not as bad as some online) and FALD causing some banding, but that seems to be pretty common on most sets in this price range.

I have another month+ to decide whether it is a keeper or if I should give the TCL a shot.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Just got the TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) along with an Xbox One X. Any recommendations on best 4K games and movies/streaming services to verify it is working and show it off? Thanks!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Don, aren't both Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 able to run 4K at 60fps on the X?

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Rodster wrote:Don, aren't both Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 able to run 4K at 60fps on the X?
Both of those and if you have EA Access check out Madden 18 and Star Wars Battlefront 2 has some amazing looking maps.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

DChaps wrote:Just got the TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) along with an Xbox One X. Any recommendations on best 4K games and movies/streaming services to verify it is working and show it off? Thanks!
Some of the tracks in Forza 7 were clearly designed to show off HDR graphics. At least one of the Sonoma layouts has the sun popping through clouds as you round turn 4 and head downhill (I think).
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Don:

Congrats on the new gear. I'm still rocking the OG Xbox One and a 720p Panasonic plasma from 2009, but Diablo (Bill) and Teal both have 4K TVs and say theHunter: Call of the Wild perhaps is the best-looking game on the system with an X and a TV with 4K and HDR.

It's available on Xbox GamePass. A fantastic game. Worth a download and a try if you have GamePass, even if hunting games aren't your thing, just to see the insane graphics.

The game is astonishingly gorgeous even on my prehistoric rig. It must be jizz-inducing on modern equipment.
Last edited by pk500 on Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

DChaps wrote:Just got the TCL 65R617 65-Inch 4K Ultra HD Roku Smart LED TV (2018 Model) along with an Xbox One X. Any recommendations on best 4K games and movies/streaming services to verify it is working and show it off? Thanks!
TheHunter, Star Wars BF 2 (single player), Madden, LOR Shadow of War, Forza. You'll know it when you see it!!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Rodster wrote:Don, aren't both Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 able to run 4K at 60fps on the X?
FH3 is 30fps, but FH4 is supposed to hit 60fps. That open world stuff is harder to nail down than Forza proper's set tracks.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

I bought at 65" TCL Series 6 4K UHD HDTV from Best Buy, to compliment my new XBox One X in the living room. I've got a 55" version of the Series 6 in my rec room with the X I have there and my wife noticed how much better her HGTV, Hallmark, and Netflix material looked on it and was usurping my gaming time in the rec room.

I delivery on my 65" set last Saturday, and here's what I saw, much to my horror, when I powered it up:

The screen had been damaged by a blow apparently before it was packaged, as the outside and inside packaging of the box had no damage. There as a circular depression in the screen at the lower left corner and a crack that ran 3/4 of the way across the bottom.

Yesterday, I got my replacement and it is flawless and delivering the goods to the same expectation shattering degree as my 55" model has in the rec room. This Series 6 from TCL delivers an incredibly good picture for its price... I'm tickled to death with it and that 17.5 ms input lag in "Game" mode is a huge plus for gaming!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Nice purchase John, 65’ looks great. TGC19 will look awesome on that big screen, I have a 65’ monitor too but by Sammy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Sweet set. Sucks the original was damaged. TGC19 looks immaculate Im sure :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So I got my first TCL. It's a 5 series 45 inch model (maybe 43) but I've put it in my board gaming room. I'm going to be stream and recording board gaming videos, also allows play over skype etc. Anyway so the only thing hooked up to it is a computer but man what an incredible picture. I played some 4k Netflixs and grabbed some other stuff.

Now here comes my idiot question but where are the picture options, or are there any for stream 4k?

Like on my other set I obviously have DTV or other boxes hooked to them and I can adjust a lot of the HDR settings but I don't see where the is in the TCL menu which is massive when you start adding apps.
Follow Me on:

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote: Now here comes my idiot question but where are the picture options, or are there any for stream 4k?
I don't know for sure about the 5 Series, but on my 6 Series there's a function near the top of the Settings menu, accessed by pressing the "*" button on the Roku, and I think it's called 'Picture". It defaults to normal or standard, but you can cycle it through Movie, Sports, Vivid, Low Power and several other types. I'll check this out more thoroughly here in a bit and get you some more specific information. So far, I've stuck with normal/standard, or whatever the default setting happens to be.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Okay Dan, I just went through the process of changing the base picture options on my Series 6 TCL.

1.) Press the "*" button on the Roku
2.) This brings up a list of options, the second one down is "Picture Mode"
3.) Highlight Picture mode and then you can scroll from the available options using the left and right arrow buttons.
4.) Your choices are: Normal, Low Power, Vivid, Sports, Movie.

After selecting "Normal", I've gone into the Advanced Picture Settings and set the Backlight to 62, Brightness to 49, Contrast to 82, Sharpness to 16, and left everything else at default. I've also set the local contrast to high, but that's their name for local dimming zones. With it on "high" all 128 of the local dimming zones are on. I don't think the Series 5 has local dimming zone's so this setting won't be there, but they might have another setting along these lines.

The wife and I watched a couple of episodes of Jack Ryan last night on our new 65" Series 6 in the Living Room and it looks spectacular. She commented several times that she couldn't get over the difference picture quality between this set and our 2014 vintage Sharp Aquos it replaced. I'm totally satisfied with this set!

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

There are additional settings in the Roku app which goes into more detail i believe.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/s ... 5/settings

I have the s405 but i havnt gone that deep yet , only did the xbox setup and on my tv and i believe same with your tv Dan is the closed eye cant be seen at all on it. I guess its a common issue and more to do with xbox as it sounds like several tv brands have the same issue.

you may have to switch your HDMI setting on the input your using to 2.0 or above.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks guys, here is another stupid question. I don't have fast start enabled or anything like that but when I power off the TV the led light under the screen is on, like it is always on. Just seems weird to me, like it should be off.
Follow Me on: