Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by Spooky »

was all set to save up for the 65" version until I read this morning that that size was scrapped. Will just be avavilible in 55". Bummer.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

greggsand wrote:So I bought the LG C7 about a week ago and it's AMAZING. What is everyone's take on extended warranties? I generally turn them down, but this tech seems so fragile (emphasis on 'seems' - I have no data to back this up). I'm considering at least a 2 year with Best Buy.
A TV from Best Buy is the only thing I'd get the extended warranty on. If in 1.8 years you happen to accidentally have burn in or something else wrong you can basccilly get a brand new tv (Doesn't even need to be the same brand).

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Spooky wrote:
greggsand wrote:So I bought the LG C7 about a week ago and it's AMAZING. What is everyone's take on extended warranties? I generally turn them down, but this tech seems so fragile (emphasis on 'seems' - I have no data to back this up). I'm considering at least a 2 year with Best Buy.
A TV from Best Buy is the only thing I'd get the extended warranty on. If in 1.8 years you happen to accidentally have burn in or something else wrong you can basccilly get a brand new tv (Doesn't even need to be the same brand).
Ditto....

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I have never in my life bought an extended warranty and I've never even needed it. And I buy a lot of damn electronics.

Edit: scratch that. After two red ring of deaths on my first two 360s I did buy and ended up needing it to replace the third one that died. So I have in fact gotten one. Other than that...hell no. No bigger ripoff in consumer spending.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I have never in my life bought an extended warranty and I've never even needed it. And I buy a lot of damn electronics.

Edit: scratch that. After two red ring of deaths on my first two 360s I did buy and ended up needing it to replace the third one that died. So I have in fact gotten one. Other than that...hell no. No bigger ripoff in consumer spending.
I agree with you on all accounts except for the BB TV thing. I have a nice Panasonic Plasma that eventually got a bit of burn in from the goddam Xbox One logo. If I had opted for the BB warranty I could have basically exchanged it for the latest and greatest TV of comparable value 2 years later.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I have never in my life bought an extended warranty and I've never even needed it. And I buy a lot of damn electronics.

I have purchased a number of Best Buy extended warranties.

Some paid off, some did not. Depends on the product.

I have had warranties pay off in spades with TV's and computer monitors.

When it doesn't pay off, it is a rip off from a money spent perspective. However, I buy the extended warranties with newer bleeding edge technology and it gives me peace of mind that if something goes wrong, I am not out a grand or more....

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They cover burn in?

Most manufacturers do not and I thought extended warranties adopted the same terms as the manufacturers warranty.

Yeah I've never done extended warranties either but always use a credit card that extends it by a year.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Finally getting a 4K TV to pair with Xbox Onx X next month. I ordered a 55" TCL P605 from BestBuy. Figured I'd go budget for my first one and its well reviewed.

http://www.avsforum.com/tcl-55-p-series ... or-gaming/
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Pete1210 wrote:Finally getting a 4K TV to pair with Xbox Onx X next month. I ordered a 55" TCL P605 from BestBuy. Figured I'd go budget for my first one and its well reviewed.

Good call. Universally praised. In fact, The Wirecutter calls it the best set available, regardless of price.

One of these months -- maybe early next year -- I'm going to replace my 2009 Panasonic plasma with a 4K HDR set. I'm taking a LONG look at the unit you're buying, Pete. Eager for your feedback. Enjoy the new toy!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Pete1210 wrote:Finally getting a 4K TV to pair with Xbox Onx X next month. I ordered a 55" TCL P605 from BestBuy. Figured I'd go budget for my first one and its well reviewed.

Good call. Universally praised. In fact, The Wirecutter calls it the best set available, regardless of price.

One of these months -- maybe early next year -- I'm going to replace my 2009 Panasonic plasma with a 4K HDR set. I'm taking a LONG look at the unit you're buying, Pete. Eager for your feedback. Enjoy the new toy!
I researched that one too. It was reviewed well. Congrats Pete. Now lets get the XB1X released!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I would own that exact TV right now if it was available in a 65”. Such a shame that got scrapped.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just saw this TV for $399 at Amazon. Hope thats what you got it for.

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-55-In ... 4100f668cf
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:

That's a slightly different, cheaper set than the P605. Not sure it has the zonal contrast control of the P605.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:

That's a slightly different, cheaper set than the P605. Not sure it has the zonal contrast control of the P605.
Ahhhh :oops:
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I was looking over the Costco holiday ads, and saw a tv that looked nice.

65" Samsung class 4k ultra HD led lcd TV. Motion rate 120. Price is only $799. Not sure if this is a good deal or not. I'm a huge Samsung phone rube, but I have no idea if their TV are class leading like their phones are. Samsung makes the best amoled phone display and it's not even close. I could have sworn LG was considered the best TV, but it's been a while.

Im not dead set on any brand. I want to get a 65-70" TV and spend $800-$1k. No curved TV though. Thanks.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Samsung doesn't make OLED TVs. LG does.

But OLEDs are way out of your price range.

Main thing is look into getting a TV with HDR. That will be as important if not more important than resolution.

Samsung is trying to compete in the premium TV segment with QLED but they're losing badly to OLED in TVs over $2500 and $3000.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

fletcher21 wrote:I was looking over the Costco holiday ads, and saw a tv that looked nice.

65" Samsung class 4k ultra HD led lcd TV. Motion rate 120. Price is only $799. Not sure if this is a good deal or not. I'm a huge Samsung phone rube, but I have no idea if their TV are class leading like their phones are. Samsung makes the best amoled phone display and it's not even close. I could have sworn LG was considered the best TV, but it's been a while.

Im not dead set on any brand. I want to get a 65-70" TV and spend $800-$1k. No curved TV though. Thanks.
If you can find a 2016 or 2017 Samsung 8000 series, it will be worth your while. Anything less you would be best served saving until you can afford a better one. Don't skimp when you get to this level.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

DivotMaker wrote:If you can find a 2016 or 2017 Samsung 8000 series, it will be worth your while. Anything less you would be best served saving until you can afford a better one. Don't skimp when you get to this level.
^^^ This. For the price, I still think the KS8000 is the best TV I've ever owned (and I'm somewhat of a collector of gaming TVs. I actually gave away a 55" 3DTV and a 50 inch curved 4K TV when I moved because I didn't want to move the damned things with the other bazillion screens I have, and I had friends who didn't even own a flat screen). You probably can't even get that anymore, since it was replaced by the KS9000, and likely THAT's obsolete by now, as well...but I'd look hard at that line.

I've never gone "big" on a TV and gone with a $3,000 or $8,000 model, but I've bought a lot of $800 to $1,500 models, and I've been absolutely in love with that KS8000 since day 1.

Fletch...what you need to be careful of with Samsung's "motion rate 120Hz" or 240Hz, etc., claims is that they're usually referring to their "Auto Motion Plus", where they take a single 60Hz image and multiply it to predict the other frames. It's useless for gaming, and actually makes it worse as it introduces latency. So don't get caught up in the motion Hz when looking at Samsungs.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I’ve got no complaints about my Samsung MU8000. Great TV for the price. Can’t wait to see ACO, SWBF2, etc. on the 65” 4K HDR screen next Tuesday.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

TCrouch wrote:
DivotMaker wrote:If you can find a 2016 or 2017 Samsung 8000 series, it will be worth your while. Anything less you would be best served saving until you can afford a better one. Don't skimp when you get to this level.
^^^ This. For the price, I still think the KS8000 is the best TV I've ever owned (and I'm somewhat of a collector of gaming TVs. I actually gave away a 55" 3DTV and a 50 inch curved 4K TV when I moved because I didn't want to move the damned things with the other bazillion screens I have, and I had friends who didn't even own a flat screen). You probably can't even get that anymore, since it was replaced by the KS9000, and likely THAT's obsolete by now, as well...but I'd look hard at that line.

I've never gone "big" on a TV and gone with a $3,000 or $8,000 model, but I've bought a lot of $800 to $1,500 models, and I've been absolutely in love with that KS8000 since day 1.

Fletch...what you need to be careful of with Samsung's "motion rate 120Hz" or 240Hz, etc., claims is that they're usually referring to their "Auto Motion Plus", where they take a single 60Hz image and multiply it to predict the other frames. It's useless for gaming, and actually makes it worse as it introduces latency. So don't get caught up in the motion Hz when looking at Samsungs.
^^^^^This^^^^^

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

Well, pulled the trigger this morning and ordered the Sony X900E 65" 4K TV. Dropped down to $1500 and from all the research I've done, for the price this is the best bang for your buck regarding PQ and features. People said the games on the Xbox One X look fabulous on this TV. This will be the first 4K TV I've bought and ironically, this is the cheapest TV 60"+ that I have ever bought.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

It's in Best Buy's Black Friday ad, but this morning it went from $1799 to $1499 so why wait? :D

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Nice choice! You should be thrilled with that set.....

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

Targwt has A 65" LG for $728 today after some discounts. Decent deal, or should I wait til after super bowl to save even more??

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

fletcher21 wrote:Targwt has A 65" LG for $728 today after some discounts. Decent deal, or should I wait til after super bowl to save even more??
This TCL 65” is a $100 cheaper and pretty good.
https://www.target.com/p/tcl-65-4k-hdr- ... lnk=newtab

I’m guessing this is the LG you are talking about??
https://www.target.com/p/lg-174-65-4k-u ... nk=sametab
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Diablo25 wrote:
fletcher21 wrote:Targwt has A 65" LG for $728 today after some discounts. Decent deal, or should I wait til after super bowl to save even more??
This TCL 65” is a $100 cheaper and pretty good.
https://www.target.com/p/tcl-65-4k-hdr- ... lnk=newtab

I’m guessing this is the LG you are talking about??
https://www.target.com/p/lg-174-65-4k-u ... nk=sametab
Looks like that TCL is $630 with the 15% discount they are running today.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25