Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by RobVarak »

Thanks, guys. Everybody's experience is useful, so I appreciate the input.

My local Costco literally has these side-by-side, which would be good news if either of them were set up worth a damn. In the stadium lighting of the store the plasma looks impossibly washed out and they have the Vizio set up to blind anyone within 30' and so oversaturated it's not even funny.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I would go a little smaller if it meant going plasma. LCDs have really closed the gaps but all things being equal I still think plasmas look better, especially when you're watching movies.

I have two Panasonic plasmas. My main gaming one is a Viera from 2005 that was inaugurated with the Bears last Super Bowl season. The other is a 2009 unit. Both going strong, and only issue I ever had was needing to replace the power cord for the 2009 unit, which I think was more an an issue with my surge protector.

Either way, you will have a gianormous TV in your house, so it's a win-win.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I absolutely love the Panny plasma I bought last year from Costco. Used for plenty of gaming and no burn in or lag issues.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'm always going to say plasma. I've been a plasma guy from the beginning. I've yet to see any LCD display demonstrate the kinds of blacks and contrast you can get from plasma. Of course, I haven't really seen the best examples of full array, local dimming LED LCDs, but those would be in a different level of price range. Maybe for gaming and most normal watching, I wouldn't mind LCD, but when it's time to put in the BluRay and watch a good movie, plasma wins.

The few examples I've seen of UHDTV have blown me away, but my question is where would one get UHDTV content? Actually, after seeing even just a few minutes of the demo on a UHDTV at best buy, my new 60" ST60 looked blurry for a week :D And then the couple of OLED TVs I've seen have allowed me to accept the eventual end of plasma. The OLED technology should have no problem at all being even better than plasma in terms of contrast, black levels, and color depth and accuracy, use less power, and with none of the motion blurring effects of many LCDs. It may be five or more years, but by then I would hope to see OLED UHDTVs at about he price range you are looking at, Rob.

So for now, go with the S60 if you are concerned input lag will truly hinder your quick reflex online gaming. Otherwise step it up to the better quality panel of the ST60. Even if you don't care about 3D it's a bit better display. Or to get the best of both worlds, pay the price for the VT60 - better panel, and S60 level lag. Ive decided to live with the lag and save the money I'd have spent on the VT60. I couldn't deal with knowing the S60 isn't quite as good looking for BluRay etc as the ST60, and frankly I wanted 3D.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wait...3d is still a thing? Didn't everyone just scrap that finally? They should have if they haven't.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

No, it's definitely still a thing. If you don't see Gravity in 3D than you are not seeing the movie, for example. Fantastic motion picture, conceived and brilliantly executed in 3D.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Zeppo wrote:No, it's definitely still a thing. If you don't see Gravity in 3D than you are not seeing the movie, for example. Fantastic motion picture, conceived and brilliantly executed in 3D.
Well I know theaters push the hell out of it and its pretty successful. I was talking about the in home stuff. You just don't see it advertised or pushed anymore.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Zeppo wrote:No, it's definitely still a thing. If you don't see Gravity in 3D than you are not seeing the movie, for example. Fantastic motion picture, conceived and brilliantly executed in 3D.
Well I know theaters push the hell out of it and its pretty successful. I was talking about the in home stuff. You just don't see it advertised or pushed anymore.
It's just that after you get above a certain level of quality tv, they all have 3D. But there's no doubt the 3D tech for TV's is worse than in theaters. Unfortunately. due to crap bandwidth over cable or satellite, broadcast 3D cuts your resolution in half, usually on the horizontal axis. And content is hard to come by. I thinks that's a big part of why the manufacturers aren't pushing it as a feature: broadcast content is too scarce. 3D BluRays do give you full 1808p in each eye for every field and can look pretty fantastic.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

There are rumors Panasonic is getting out of plasmas while trying to ramp up OLED production.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Zeppo wrote: So for now, go with the S60 if you are concerned input lag will truly hinder your quick reflex online gaming. Otherwise step it up to the better quality panel of the ST60. Even if you don't care about 3D it's a bit better display. Or to get the best of both worlds, pay the price for the VT60 - better panel, and S60 level lag. Ive decided to live with the lag and save the money I'd have spent on the VT60. I couldn't deal with knowing the S60 isn't quite as good looking for BluRay etc as the ST60, and frankly I wanted 3D.
Thanks, Zep. Didn't want the 3D at all, so I went with the S60. Loving, absolutely loving it right now. I appreciate everyone's input.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion/advice on dead/stuck pixels if they are common and unavoidable on LED TV's? I tried two 32" Vizio's from Amazon that had dead pixels. I switched to a 40" Samsung LED and it has a tiny area of stuck green pixels. I ran a pixel check and they only show up on a black background.

Should I get a replacement or is this common? Awesome TV aside from that.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Rodster wrote:Hey guys I just wanted to get your opinion/advice on dead/stuck pixels if they are common and unavoidable on LED TV's? I tried two 32" Vizio's from Amazon that had dead pixels. I switched to a 40" Samsung LED and it has a tiny area of stuck green pixels. I ran a pixel check and they only show up on a black background.

Should I get a replacement or is this common? Awesome TV aside from that.
Judging from my recent expedition upriver to the heart of darkness at the core of AVS forums, it is incredibly common. Those anorak bastards have many tales of returning multiple sets before finding one that was dead pixel-free.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Thanks Rob, I tried a program called stuck pixel sweep and it didn't get rid of the problem so I got Amazon to ship me a replacement.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

With today's news, Panasonic shutting down all plasma production, apparently this was Rob with his TV purchase;

XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

:)

My shopping experience was illustrative of one of plasma's biggest problems. I didn't use any speciality retailers. Took my wife around to Sears, Costco, Best Buy, H.H. Gregg etc. She was stunned that I would even consider a plasma. They uniformly looked terrible in the showrooms next to the LED competition. She understood when I explained the difference in conditions, but it's a pretty small % of consumers who are going to do much more research beyond looking at them side-by-side.

It's a damn shame though, because it's clearly a better picture in almost all cases IMO.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Is Samsung the only brand left selling plasmas? Or does LG still produce a few?

Looks like I'll be a Samsung customer next. With all apologies to Wendy O. Williams, I'm a Plasmatic.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

pk500 wrote:Is Samsung the only brand left selling plasmas? Or does LG still produce a few?

Looks like I'll be a Samsung customer next. With all apologies to Wendy O. Williams, I'm a Plasmatic.
Nip Strips and all ?:D

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

pk500 wrote:Is Samsung the only brand left selling plasmas? Or does LG still produce a few?

Nip Strips and all ? :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Hell, yes!

"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Wow, A NSFW warning would have been nice.....
Currently Playing: Battlefield V, American Fugitive, Madden NFL 19, Golf Club 2019

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

bulls23 wrote:Wow, A NSFW warning would have been nice.....
She was wearing clothes. All parts are covered. Miley Cyrus shows just as much on national TV. :)

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Wendy O. Williams definitely looked better in standard definition. :D

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas.

Will start my TV search this weekend. Can anyone recommend anything in the 40-50 inch size?

Thanks.

Dave
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

FifaInspected wrote:Fellas.

Will start my TV search this weekend. Can anyone recommend anything in the 40-50 inch size?

Thanks.

Dave
I just picked up a 2014 Vizio 55in E series model....$679 at Costco and I'm extremely happy with it about 1 month in or so. My only reqret at this point is that I didn't get the 60in model instead. They have 48in($549)and 50in($569) models as well in the E series. Their 2014 M series is coming out soon as well if you want a little better quality.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Thanks! Will check that out!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected