Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by FifaInspected »

Fellas.

I went with the 42 inch M Series Vizio from Costco. 4 HDMI with 240 refresh. I'm very happy with the image but came accross a few odd things last night streaming nextflix and HBO go via my 360.

1. A slow motion scene where the entire picture seemed to stutter.
2. A scene where the main character was speaking and the people walking across the scene in the background seemed to be stuttering. Only the people in the background experience the problem.. the character front center was fine.
3. Vignetting in all four corners. (slightly darker) than the rest of the screen.

I'm not an AV guy so I have no idea what is normal and what is not. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dave
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

FifaInspected wrote:Fellas.

I went with the 42 inch M Series Vizio from Costco. 4 HDMI with 240 refresh. I'm very happy with the image but came accross a few odd things last night streaming nextflix and HBO go via my 360.

1. A slow motion scene where the entire picture seemed to stutter.
2. A scene where the main character was speaking and the people walking across the scene in the background seemed to be stuttering. Only the people in the background experience the problem.. the character front center was fine.
3. Vignetting in all four corners. (slightly darker) than the rest of the screen.

I'm not an AV guy so I have no idea what is normal and what is not. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dave
None of that seems normal at all, but all those issues could easily be due to the streaming rather than the TV. If you have a BluRay player, that would be the best way to test the display, because that way you will know the input signal is solid.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Thanks Zep. I'll give that a try.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

FifaInspected wrote:Thanks Zep. I'll give that a try.
Hey Dave! Long time no speak :) Hope u are liking that new TV.
Were those issues only when streaming via the 360?

p.s. you still a video game soccer nut? I haven't had much time for any gaming lately...
just now and then when the wifey does a weekend trip with her gf's. If you are,
what is your game of choice these days? I remember when I first told you about
Pro Evo soccer on the PC and you were blown away by it. EA caught up with
Konami since then, but not sure they ever captured that magical "organic" feel
that Evo had?

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

My 9-year-old Panny plasma just gave up the ghost. It fried in the middle of a game of The Show -- there was an electrical noise and an electrical smell, the screen went black, and the power light started blinking. I unplugged it, waited, turned it on again and the screen was all messed up -- a random pattern of lines shoved over to the left, plus the electrical smell started again. My guess is that it's not worth repairing given today's prices (and to think what I paid in 2005! )

Anyway, I am both excited and afraid to step back into the TV-buying madness. I have to figure out if I want to grab a plasma while I still can, go nuts and go high end with something stupid like a UHD set, or in between. And so it begins....

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Good luck, Brando.

There should be some sort of saint whose statue one could bury in the backyard prior to embarking on this frustrating and perilous journey, a la St. Joseph when selling a house.

St. Dorkifus of Resolution, Patron Saint of the AVS Forums.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

RobVarak wrote:Good luck, Brando.

There should be some sort of saint whose statue one could bury in the backyard prior to embarking on this frustrating and perilous journey, a la St. Joseph when selling a house.

St. Dorkifus of Resolution, Patron Saint of the AVS Forums.
Ha, no doubt. I am probably off for a pilgrimage to Abt this weekend. It is a sad note, too, as I christened this television set with the start of the Bears last Super Bowl season.

The internal debate has already started, as the AVS folks talked up a Samsung plasma that is a great value, while CNET has a different and more expensive Samsung plasma as their best picture candidate. I need to see if I can tell $1500 worth of difference between the two.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Brando70 wrote:The internal debate has already started, as the AVS folks talked up a Samsung plasma that is a great value, while CNET has a different and more expensive Samsung plasma as their best picture candidate. I need to see if I can tell $1500 worth of difference between the two.
Wow, that would need to be one helluva leap.....I am not sure even the leap from 1080p to 4K/UHD would be enough for me to spend that much more, but kudos to you if it is valuable to you.....

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Well, I went past a little nuts into full-blown crazy and bought a new 55-inch Sony 4k set, the XBR-900B. Got in the store and couldn't get over how great the picture looked, both with 1080p and 4k content. I know 4k offerings are slim, but the 1080p looked so good, even a bit better than plasma IMHO. I liked it better than the Samsung and also than last year's Sony 4k sets. My wife and a friend with me agreed that it had the best picture.

It actually has a pair of pretty kicking speakers on it, too. I may wind up just using those and moving my surround system downstairs with the gaming stuff.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Stopped in to Best Buy at lunch to make a return and also check out the new 4K HDTVs. Wow, they look impressive and the pricing is coming down fairly rapidly. I saw a sweet 55" Samsung (don't recall the model) for $1600. More than I want to spend, but I imagine purchasing a new tv sometime in 2015 possibly. There was also a gorgeous 55" LG that was OLED.

The sales rep was telling me that Amazon and Netflix are now streaming in 4k and supposedly Directv is implementing it in to their programming starting in October. To what extent, I don't know.

I think I'll finally take the plunge when sports broadcast in higher definition (like I'm saying it's bad right now... 8O) It still looks great in 1080p.

Curious if any of you guys have become early adopters or are thinking about it in the near future.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Not an early adopter but the last time I went into Best Buy a couple months ago I couldn't take my eyes off the high end Sony 4K TV. I think it was listing for like $7k.

I did not expect 4K to be that much of a noticeable difference but, wow! The content ad the quality of the TV itself made me very excited for my next TV upgrade in a few years.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

It's not just the 4k, it's the picture quality. I'll be honest, I doubt I could tell the difference between 1080p and 2160p streaming on Netflix unless I was really close to the TV. But the sharpness, black levels, and color representation on 4K LED TVs also have taken a very nice leap.

Also, after some initial hiccups, I have not had any issues streaming Breaking Bad on Netflix in 4k using a 25M wireless connection, even during prime time hours. I'm curious to see what happens with the DTV rollout, if it actually happens.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

tjung0831 wrote:
FifaInspected wrote: I just picked up a 2014 Vizio 55in E series model....$679 at Costco and I'm extremely happy with it about 1 month in or so. My only reqret at this point is that I didn't get the 60in model instead. They have 48in($549)and 50in($569) models as well in the E series. Their 2014 M series is coming out soon as well if you want a little better quality.

Hey, how has this panel worked out for you?

My 50" LG died and Best Buy is offering the E series model as replacement.

Let me know!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
tjung0831 wrote:
FifaInspected wrote: I just picked up a 2014 Vizio 55in E series model....$679 at Costco and I'm extremely happy with it about 1 month in or so. My only reqret at this point is that I didn't get the 60in model instead. They have 48in($549)and 50in($569) models as well in the E series. Their 2014 M series is coming out soon as well if you want a little better quality.

Hey, how has this panel worked out for you?

My 50" LG died and Best Buy is offering the E series model as replacement.

Let me know!
7 months in or so and still extremely happy with it. Vizio's are hit and miss from what I read before purchasing but I've got no complaints with mine. The M series wasn't out when I bought my E and my thought was that I would take it back and get the M, but I just decided to hold onto my 55E instead because I didn't have any issues. Make sure you read avsforums and tune the picture to the recommended settings...it really made a difference for me.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Last year Amazon had a sale on Vizio smart TV's. I found them to have a grainy look to the screen. I tried two and the last one had dead and stuck pixels. I sent them both back and got a Sammy instead.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

I'm leaning towards a Samsung UN50H6203 but it only has 2 HDMI.

Need at least 3, preferably 4 for my living room.

Do any of you use a HDMI switch? Recomendations?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:I'm leaning towards a Samsung UN50H6203 but it only has 2 HDMI.

Need at least 3, preferably 4 for my living room.

Do any of you use a HDMI switch? Recomendations?
So you don't have an audio system? Who uses more the one input on a tv these days? Lol.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

For the last couple of days my trusty 2 1/2 years old 55' Samsung LED is not so trusty all of the sudden just in time for SB on Sunday. :evil:

I've been experiencing vertical lines all over the screen. Yesterday after tweaking a couple of HDMI's and adjusting the cable box the issue went away.

But after turning the TV back again, we experience the lines again. Searched the AVR forums where some mention that it could be a loose connection at the back of the TV. Thing is, we have it stored against the wall and before I pull it out, I'd like to know if any of you have any suggestions as to what may be going wrong here.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Anyone buy a HDTV at Target? Would you advise it or not? I have like $400 in gift cards saved up from xmas for Target. Looking to get a 55-60 inch tv. Target Tv's just as good as the ones @ best buy?

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Inuyasha wrote:Anyone buy a HDTV at Target? Would you advise it or not? I have like $400 in gift cards saved up from xmas for Target. Looking to get a 55-60 inch tv. Target Tv's just as good as the ones @ best buy?
Compare the specs of the ones you like from both, then decide.....Target typically carries lower spec TV's, but not by much. all depends on what's important to you.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Inuyasha wrote:Anyone buy a HDTV at Target? Would you advise it or not? I have like $400 in gift cards saved up from xmas for Target. Looking to get a 55-60 inch tv. Target Tv's just as good as the ones @ best buy?
I purchased a Visio 39" HDTV for my father-in-law at Target a couple years ago and it's still running. However, I normally purchase my electronics from Best Buy due to the 12-24 month interest free credit on my Best Buy credit card.

Also, Best Buy seems to have all the latest models and greatest models.

-MERACE
Last edited by MERACE on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Why on earth would a target tv be different than a best buy tv? LOL...find the model you want and buy it. They are the same.

As for the whole "where to buy a tv thing"...If they have the TV you want at Costco, buy it there with an American Express. 1 year warranty w/ Costco and a 2nd year tacked on by Amex. Can't beat the security in that...plus you can use the thing for a year and just return it if you're not completely satisfied.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:...If they have the TV you want at Costco, buy it there with an American Express. 1 year warranty w/ Costco and a 2nd year tacked on by Amex. Can't beat the security in that...plus you can use the thing for a year and just return it if you're not completely satisfied.
While Costco is my favorite store (buy my gasoline, bulk food, clothing items) their return policy for TV's and most electronics is 90 days (https://customerservice.costco.com/syst ... urn-Policy).

-MERACE

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MERACE wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:...If they have the TV you want at Costco, buy it there with an American Express. 1 year warranty w/ Costco and a 2nd year tacked on by Amex. Can't beat the security in that...plus you can use the thing for a year and just return it if you're not completely satisfied.
While Costco is my favorite store (buy my gasoline, bulk food, clothing items) their return policy for TV's and most electronics is 90 days (https://customerservice.costco.com/syst ... urn-Policy).

-MERACE
That's what they CLAIM. Buy I know guys who buy computers and other electronics YEARLY and return them at all different stores, so it's not even a local thing. So their "policy" isn't adhered to very closely. Costco is VERY lenient.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
MERACE wrote:

-MERACE
That's what they CLAIM. Buy I know guys who buy computers and other electronics YEARLY and return them at all different stores, so it's not even a local thing. So their "policy" isn't adhered to very closely. Costco is VERY lenient.
Wow, no wonder my membership dues have gone up. :wink:

-MERACE