Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

wco81 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 am
Maybe buy some drapes so you don't have to get a TV to run in torch mode?
I agree, and of course we do have shades, we just don’t like having to turn the living room in to a dark movie theater at 2pm in the afternoon on a Saturday to watch TV.

Anyways, size was also an issue too. I “settled” on the CX because I know it was an amazing TV and I got it at a good price, but my preference was always a 75” unit. LG 77” even at discounted prices is way out of budget for me.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:14 am
wco81 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:14 am
Maybe buy some drapes so you don't have to get a TV to run in torch mode?
I agree, and of course we do have shades, we just don’t like having to turn the living room in to a dark movie theater at 2pm in the afternoon on a Saturday to watch TV.

Anyways, size was also an issue too. I “settled” on the CX because I know it was an amazing TV and I got it at a good price, but my preference was always a 75” unit. LG 77” even at discounted prices is way out of budget for me.
That's valid. I don't know about the Samsung but the LG is suppose to have low input lag.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I bought a TCL 55 inch 4K tv from Costco last year for like $280. It is the best tv i have ever owned in my life. It's great to watch movies/shows and also game on.

I went out today to buy another one for my bedroom but costco no longer sells TCL. Really bummed out - if I had known this I would have bought 2 of these.

I am very happy w/ TCL and will look to best buy and other shops to see if they offer this tv around the same price. But are TV's like Hisense good as well?

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

Lancer wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:07 am
I bought a TCL 55 inch 4K tv from Costco last year for like $280. It is the best tv i have ever owned in my life. It's great to watch movies/shows and also game on.

I went out today to buy another one for my bedroom but costco no longer sells TCL. Really bummed out - if I had known this I would have bought 2 of these.

I am very happy w/ TCL and will look to best buy and other shops to see if they offer this tv around the same price. But are TV's like Hisense good as well?
The Hisense H9G received a lot of praise from reviewers this past year.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

greggsand wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:35 pm
The Samsung Q90T has 2.1, VRR etc… Looks amazing with the series x.
Gregg,

Have you had any issues with the Series X and the Q90t?

Xbox should arrive next week and I've been reading of some issues with VRR and local dimming?

Anyways, let me know.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I’ve seen those comments on Reddit, too. It’s not been an issue for me at all. When I got the set last summer, there was ghosting going on with VRR, but it was quickly addressed in firmware update a few weeks later. Since then, it’s just been awesome. You’ll love it.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Picked up a Sony OLED today at Best Buy and the piece of junk won't power on. :x
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vader29 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:31 pm
Picked up a Sony OLED today at Best Buy and the piece of junk won't power on. :x
That blows. Open box?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:44 pm
vader29 wrote:
That blows. Open box?
Brand new, been debating between a few different tvs for the last 6 months and finally decided on the Sony OLED and now looks like I have to pack it back up and return it.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

vader29 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:48 pm
Diablo25 wrote:
vader29 wrote:
That blows. Open box?
Brand new, been debating between a few different tvs for the last 6 months and finally decided on the Sony OLED and now looks like I have to pack it back up and return it.
I know this sounds stupid, but is the power cord plugged all the way in in the back of the TV? A lot of TVs “feel like” that plug is in but it needs to be pushed in well.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:52 pm
vader29 wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:48 pm
Diablo25 wrote:

That blows. Open box?
I know this sounds stupid, but is the power cord plugged all the way in in the back of the TV? A lot of TVs “feel like” that plug is in but it needs to be pushed in well.
It's in, tried multiple times unplugging and replugging, won't turn on with remote or power button on tv, no lights, nothing just dead. f*** Sony.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Go Q90 Vader.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

10spro wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:52 am
Go Q90 Vader.
Yeah the QN90A was was my original choice, should have went with it in the first place when it was on sale a couple weeks ago, might as well wait for a black Friday deal now. Spent most of yesterday and part of this morning trying to get the Sony to work and finally gave up and returned it for a refund.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I think I finally want to cut the cord and end DirectTV but I am frankly overwhelmed and confused by the multiple streaming options out there. Here are my must haves:

1. Local stations for news and local sports coverage
2. NFL Network
3. Golf Channel
4. Ability to record with cloud storage live events or shows.

I currently have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max and Apple TV so I have all that covered, although not positive what my HBO Max subscription is through.

Anyone have advice on what to use? I see DirecTV has a new streaming service but seems pricey. Only thing that sucks is I will lose my Sunday ticket.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:25 pm
I think I finally want to cut the cord and end DirectTV but I am frankly overwhelmed and confused by the multiple streaming options out there. Here are my must haves:

2. NFL Network
3. Golf Channel

I currently have subscriptions to Netflix, Hulu, Disney Plus, HBO Max and Apple TV so I have all that covered, although not positive what my HBO Max subscription is through.

Anyone have advice on what to use? I see DirecTV has a new streaming service but seems pricey. Only thing that sucks is I will lose my Sunday ticket.
I cut the cord with Xfinity (still have their internet) and went with YoutubeTV. Pete and PK gave me all the info and endorsement I needed.I love it. It has all of what your listed in your post. Just go to the YoutubeTV website and put in your zip code. It will tell you what channels are available…including local ones. It is $64.99/month ($54.99/month the first 3 months). You can actually get it for a week for free to test it. It has been great since I got it. UNLIMITED recordings for anything you want. I added the extra sports package for like $10. Adds NFL RedZone and numerous other sports channels.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:53 pm
Danimal wrote:

2. NFL Network
3. Golf Channel

I cut the cord with Xfinity (still have their internet) and went with YoutubeTV. Pete and PK gave me all the info and endorsement I needed.I love it. It has all of what your listed in your post. Just go to the YoutubeTV website and put in your zip code. It will tell you what channels are available…including local ones. It is $64.99/month ($54.99/month the first 3 months). You can actually get it for a week for free to test it. It has been great since I got it. UNLIMITED recordings for anything you want. I added the extra sports package for like $10. Adds NFL RedZone and numerous other sports channels.

https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/
I agree about YoutubeTV. I cut the cable three months ago and I think that it is the streaming goods. Covers all you need covered.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

YouTubeTV here as well.

Them adding BeIn to the sports package recently has me giddy. All of the French and Spanish soccer you can handle!

Biggest downside I’ve found is the lack of regional sports networks and Dolby digital 5.1 on a lot of devices (like the nvidia shield pro). The latter is rolling out slowly but surely…the former, well, it won’t be happening anytime soon.

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

I signed up for YouTube TV over the weekend and dropped off all my cable equipment on Monday. It's run great and has all the channels I need. They have all the great sports channels and if you want RedZone and a few other sports channels, they sell a Sports Deluxe package for $11/mo. From what people have told me, YouTube TV seems to be the most satisfactory option for most.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Speculation is that DirecTV will give up the Sunday Ticket package and Amazon is considered a contender for it.

As for RSN, you hope someone will turn them into streaming, though the NBA is dependent on RSN revenues.

The NBA of course is trying to get a new huge TV deal. They want over 3X as much as the current contract, which when it was signed 5-10 years ago raised a lot of eyebrows.

I think they're going to have to hook in a big tech company or streamer to get that kind of money.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

wco81 wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 2:27 pm
Speculation is that DirecTV will give up the Sunday Ticket package and Amazon is considered a contender for it.

As for RSN, you hope someone will turn them into streaming, though the NBA is dependent on RSN revenues.

The NBA of course is trying to get a new huge TV deal. They want over 3X as much as the current contract, which when it was signed 5-10 years ago raised a lot of eyebrows.

I think they're going to have to hook in a big tech company or streamer to get that kind of money.
I would guess that if Amazon gets rights to NFL Sunday Ticket they would still charge you for it even if you're a Prime subscriber right?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:10 am
I would guess that if Amazon gets rights to NFL Sunday Ticket they would still charge you for it even if you're a Prime subscriber right?
I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon includes it in their Prime subscription. It's another way to increase their Prime subscriptions but if it does happen I can also see them raising the price too. So I can see it going from $119 to maybe $149-159.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:

2. NFL Network
3. Golf Channel

YouTube TV has everything you need except for possibly regional RSNs. Its deal with the former FOX RSNs, now owned by Sinclair and labeled as Bally Sports, ended because Sinclair wanted a ridiculous carriage fee for those channels. Google told Sinclair to get f*cked, which was a good call.

YTTV also has RedZone as part of a sports pack that's an extra $11 per month. RedZone is WAYYYYYYY better than Sunday Ticket unless there's an out-of-market team for which you must see their entire games.

I've been on YTTV for two years and NEVER will return to cable.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:28 pm
YTTV also has RedZone as part of a sports pack that's an extra $11 per month. RedZone is WAYYYYYYY better than Sunday Ticket unless there's an out-of-market team for which you must see their entire games.
The DirecTV Red Zone channel is significantly more enjoyable than the NFL Network one they stick on YTTV. So I disagree there...but I'm good w/ the rest of your post. LOL.

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

Rodster wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:24 am
jLp_VaKer0 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:10 am
I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon includes it in their Prime subscription. It's another way to increase their Prime subscriptions but if it does happen I can also see them raising the price too. So I can see it going from $119 to maybe $149-159.
Makes sense.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks I had it narrowed down to YTTV and fuboTV but with so many endorsements for YTTV I guess that is the one. I already paid for Sunday ticket for the season so I am not sure I can get that money back.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation