Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by MizzouRah »

Just my opinion but even normal HD content looks fantastic on my LG SK9000. In fact, we all argue over who gets to watch that TV, something I haven't had to worry about before.

Gaming is fantastic, all the streaming stuff looks great and Disney+ has Dolby Vision content which looks incredible, not to mention Netflix 4k.

I can't believe how cheap 4k sets are getting.

Now if I could only talk my wife into the 77" LG OLED. :twisted:

PK, re: gaming mode - thanks, MW and Madden look great, NHL 20 just popped a bit more on standard, I did mess with the gaming mode settings a bit though and figured out how to match the color. There was definitely noticeable lag out of gaming mode.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:Yes, 90 is ample for a 55-incher. My Vizio M558-G1 has 90. Which model number are you considering, Rod?
I don't remember, i'll have to try and find it again PK.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

I’m looking for a 75” tv for under $1000. Best Buy has several in that price range. Is there any real difference between tv in this “budget” price range? They will all be 4K smart tv and of course non oled. I see options from LG, Samsung and TCL. I currently have a 70” LG in my living room and have had zero issues with it.

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

The 75” tcl 4 series is on sale (ending today) at Target for $749, which is down from $999. Any good? I want something decent, not top of the line or oled.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

fletcher21 wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:26 pm
The 75” tcl 4 series is on sale (ending today) at Target for $749, which is down from $999. Any good? I want something decent, not top of the line or oled.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/4-series-2019
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I THINK I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Samsung Q90T. Anyone have one, looked at one, etc...? Thoughts?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

greggsand wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:27 pm
I THINK I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Samsung Q90T. Anyone have one, looked at one, etc...? Thoughts?
Strong ratings from RTINGS.com, which does pretty damn exhaustive testing of new TVs: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90t-qled
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:14 pm
greggsand wrote:
Strong ratings from RTINGS.com, which does pretty damn exhaustive testing of new TVs: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/q90t-qled
Looks like a sweet ass TV :D
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

greggsand wrote:
Only thing about Samsung is they don't support Dolby Vision, which is widely supported in film and TV.

The other thing is they're going away from QLED with backlight towards QLED OLED TVs as their medium-term strategy for higher-end TVs

If you can get a great price, go for it but I wouldn't spend too much over $2000 for a 65-inch.

LG OLED TVs are in that price range.

But many people prefer Samsungs because they're much brighter.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I currently have a LG C7 OLED and the burn-in BLOWS. Amazing picture, but burn-in is real. Hence, looking for the next best thing (without having to worry about game HUD's & Network Logos).

The lack of Dolby Vision is a bummer, but IF they ever decide to add it, it could be as simple as a firmware update (but who knows?).

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It doesn't sound like Samsung is interested in DV at all.

In fact they created a rival standard, HDR+, to try to beat DV in the market

I believe DV has way greater market share.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Speak of the devil, Gregg: TechHive just released a glowing review of the set you're considering.

https://www.techhive.com/article/354624 ... 0618170958
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

pk500 wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:10 pm
Speak of the devil, Gregg: TechHive just released a glowing review of the set you're considering.

https://www.techhive.com/article/354624 ... 0618170958
Now that’s news I can use! Thanks!

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I just order the 65” Sony X900H. I had $50 on Morikawa to win the PGA this week ($500 win), sold my current TV to a friend, and I’m currently selling one of my Xbox One X’s. All that covers the price of the new Tv. It is “Ready for the PS5”. 4K, 120hz refresh, Variable refresh rate, HDMI 2.1, etc. it reviewed very well so I pulled the trigger. Yes I am a tech whore.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televi ... ls_default
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Ok so my kid killed my launch day Xb1X by watching some much NetFlix and Hulu. This was the machine hooked up in my theatre room and I'm looking for an alternate way to now stream without buying another system.

Any suggestions like a Roku box or something?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:37 pm
Ok so my kid killed my launch day Xb1X by watching some much NetFlix and Hulu. This was the machine hooked up in my theatre room and I'm looking for an alternate way to now stream without buying another system.

Nvidia Shield TV - best streaming box you can buy because of the 4k upscaling. Yes, more expensive than the cheaper Fire TV and Roku boxes, but worth every penny. And you can game and hack and have fun with it other than streaming if you so desire.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-shi ... Id=6370422

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:07 pm
Danimal wrote:

Nvidia Shield TV - best streaming box you can buy because of the 4k upscaling. Yes, more expensive than the cheaper Fire TV and Roku boxes, but worth every penny. And you can game and hack and have fun with it other than streaming if you so desire.

Stupid question but what is the storage for, I see a 16 gig one as well.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:54 pm
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:07 pm
Danimal wrote:

Stupid question but what is the storage for, I see a 16 gig one as well.
For apps and games legally. For hacked stuff illegally. Plus they are expandable with SD cards.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

We have a Nvidia Shield in our family. I love the remote for YouTube TV. It's much better than the Firestick and Roku imo. And gaming isn't that bad actually. Played some Bioshock and Sleeping Dogs and the frame rate was as good as you would get on a 360 or PS3 for sure.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Another vote here for the Nvidia Shield. I have the TV (cigar tube) version. Now that the Pro has AI upscaling of 60 FPS content, which isn't available on the TV, I may upgrade to the Pro. It's $50 more.

The AI upscaling on both the TV and Pro is LEGIT as hell. It takes non-4K content and tries to upscale to 4K. It doesn't get quite there, but I would say it gets to "2K" or slightly better. Incredible feature that's not marketing gobbledygook. Only works with 30 fps content, which limits me to Netflix, Amazon Prime and VOD versions of YouTube TV programs, as all live and DVR YTTV content is 60 fps. But it's still damn impressive enough to make me want a Pro for AI upscaling of all my content. It's that good.

Last year I bought and tried the Roku Streaming Stick Plus, Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Apple TV 4K and the Shield TV, and the Shield was a clear winner. Best upscaling, right there with Apple as the snappiest processor and OS, a far better remote than Apple TV, and Android TV is really underrated as an OS.

Get a Shield Pro. It's expensive, but you get what you pay for. You won't regret it.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Diablo25 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:56 pm
I just order the 65” Sony X900H. I had $50 on Morikawa to win the PGA this week ($500 win), sold my current TV to a friend, and I’m currently selling one of my Xbox One X’s. All that covers the price of the new Tv. It is “Ready for the PS5”. 4K, 120hz refresh, Variable refresh rate, HDMI 2.1, etc. it reviewed very well so I pulled the trigger. Yes I am a tech whore.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televi ... ls_default
I've been super happy with my x900e, which is essentially just the same TV a few versions ago. I might have bought about a year or so too soon, as the new HDR and 120hz won't be added to it. So I would LOVE the x900h, but I will wait for awhile. Games and media still seem to look and play pretty amazing at just 60hz and HDR 10.

I would lean heavily towards Sony because I have been so happy with this TV, but that Samsung Q90 also has me looking at ways to rationalize spending money.

I had moved away from Sony TVs because their cost never matched their performance. But I think the x900e was a turning point. Their prices have been more in line, and they still have great features. I ended up picking it over the Samsung KS8000 at the time, which I think was the more popular TV.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Screw you Diablo. :twisted: With all your talk about VRR and 120HZ, HDMI 2.1 what not, I couldn’t wait anymore and bought the Sammy Q90. I am still very happy with the 65’ KS 8000 in my living room but that will have to pave way for the new shinier model over the weekend.

Can’t wait to see my wife’s reaction then, I still don’t have the balls to tell her, I mean after all it’s been only 4 years since I bought the KS 8000?

Anyone else bought the Q90? Your impressions please. Was really tempted to get the LG CX Oled but my overall fears of eventual burning just tipped me back with Samsung.

Now, I just learnt that there’s different quality also in the 2.1 HDMI cables. Or was that another selling feature? In fact the TV guy was telling me that the Xbox series X HDMI may not even be a 2.1 version.

Whatever look forward to the new toy on Saturday.

Happy thanksgiving..

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm
Screw you Diablo. :twisted: With all your talk about VRR and 120HZ, HDMI 2.1 what not, I couldn’t wait anymore and bought the Sammy Q90. I am still very happy with the 65’ KS 8000 in my living room but that will have to pave way for the new shinier model over the weekend.

Can’t wait to see my wife’s reaction then, I still don’t have the balls to tell her, I mean after all it’s been only 4 years since I bought the KS 8000?

Anyone else bought the Q90? Your impressions please. Was really tempted to get the LG CX Oled but my overall fears of eventual burning just tipped me back with Samsung.

Now, I just learnt that there’s different quality also in the 2.1 HDMI cables. Or was that another selling feature? In fact the TV guy was telling me that the Xbox series X HDMI may not even be a 2.1 version.

Whatever look forward to the new toy on Saturday.

Happy thanksgiving..
Love it! Good hustle 10s! You will love it. The wife already knows how Dragons roll!
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:

You must have missed it when your headphones were not working but after reading the gaming reviews on Rtings.com I bought an Q80 right before the XSX came out. They had it listed 2nd behind the LGCX for gaming. Yes The Q90 is the better tv but for the man cave I didnt want to spend the extra cash as they are almost identical for gaming.

You don't need new HDMI cables. The one that came with the XSX is fine.

You will notice a difference and the TV will make you happy.

As for your wife? You are a dead man walking. Wont be seeing you around for a while.
10spro wrote:
Screw you Diablo. :twisted:
I believe the correct phrase is f*** you Diablo!
Diablo25 wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:34 pm
The wife already knows how Dragons roll!
His head will roll.

Now Vader, Seven, Jimmy?