Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by greggsand »

The 55" C7 LG OLED is $1,600 on Amazon right now. For what it's worth, the various studios (Paramount, Disney, etc) use the LG OLED's for all their post prod work & picture tests (replacing plasmas). Like others said, I was a careful plasma user (though the longer I owned the set, the less I cared about it). Same rules apply for the LG.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Zeppo wrote:What you say is true, WCO, and it’s a big part of the reason I have been able to resist the pull to buy a new tv. Right now, it’s really just games that seem to benefit the most from 4K and HDR. I’m sure I’d be all about watching movies in 4K and HDR and Dolby Vision from time to time, but we just don’t watch movies all that often, and TV, especially sports, just isn’t there. So I’m waiting for the tech and the feature sets to mature and the prices to go down. As a certified image quality obsessive for movies and to a degree the better shows on tv (some of the hbo stuff can look great, for example), I just can’t get past what OLED can do versus even the best local dimming LCD screens.
WAs at a store over the weekend and they were showing the demo reel, things like time-lapse shot on cinema-quality cameras, at much higher bitrates than you'd get anywhere else.

But part of the demo was a Champions League game clips from a couple of years ago, Juventus vs. Barcelona. Pirlo was still playing for Juve and Neymar for Barca. Again the clips were edited and optimized. They had crystal-clear slow-mo replays and real close up shots. Looked more cinematic than the kind of visuals you get in a typical sports broadcast.

I think NFL especially would probably demand more money for 4K HDR broadcasts, as they tried to get more money for streaming rights. They stream Raptors and Mapleleafs games in Toronto to homes which have fiber service. We can only hope they get the deals worked out and they have more sports in 4K by this time next year.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Zeppo wrote:
Spooky wrote:Got me an LG C7 65" OLED last week. Perfection.
I’m very curious to hear your reports regarding image retention on that thing. Being a plasma guy from the beginning, I would lean heavily towards the OLED panel for a new TV. For me, movie image quality is paramount and gaming is secondary. The IR on my newer Panny Plasma (forget what model but it’s about 5 years old, went to 1080p from an old 42”) is just as bad if not worse than my old
Panny. But I’m never worried about burn-in.

I’ve read that everything about those LG OLEDs is amazing, obviously for movies and especially for gaming response, but the IR / potential for burn in would worry me a lot. I’d love to hear about your experiences, Spooky.
I have owned two plasma sets. A 9th (and last) gen Pioneer Elite Kuro and probably the same Panny plasma you have. I never had ANY issues with either burn in or IR on the Pioneer Kuro. The Panny was another story. IR like crazy! And at one point I thought I had burn in of the goddam Xbox logo from the old XB1 dashboard. I think it's finally gone after a year or two of viewing other content. So I guess it was just stubborn IR. So - IMO it's borderline impossible to actually burn in a set now a days - but the Panny did suffer from very bad and evident IR.

With the LG C7 OLED - I have noticed the very slightest IR very briefly (I think). It's gone within seconds and very, very minor - if in fact I am really even seeing anything at all or just a placebo effect. BUT - I am heavily considering getting the BB Magnolia extended care for an extra $350 to NEVER have to worry about it again. They cover burn-in and dead pixels, etc...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I owned two Panny plasmas and still use my set I bought in 2009 as my gaming TV. Never much issue with IR, even with static logos, but I also broke it in pretty carefully and until the last couple years used it for TV and gaming. I've never had any issue with IR when viewing content, only with the input off and the TV still on. I was worried and watchful the first couple years I had it but then didn't have any reason to worry.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

I've had my LG B6 OLED since early in the year and haven't even thought about burn-in as a possibility. Maybe it's a careless approach, but haven't noticed a single issue and have just been enjoying the stunning picture quality - obviously 4K gaming on the Pro/X have been great, but 4K Netflix content and 4K Blue Jay and Raptor broadcasts are also might impressive.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Let me rephrase my Panasonic Plasma IR rant slightly...

I still use and love the TV. The OLED BLOWS it away but it's still a great set. The IR thing was irritating because it was noticeable, but never permanent and not a true hinderance of any kind. Just...annoying...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Anyone have experience with the Vizio P-series? Some good deals out there, but wondering if I should either wait for the 2018 models to hit the floor or spend the extra money for a Sony 900 series.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Dave wrote:Anyone have experience with the Vizio P-series? Some good deals out there, but wondering if I should either wait for the 2018 models to hit the floor or spend the extra money for a Sony 900 series.
They get decent reviews. It rates as very solid (8.4-8.6) for HDR Gaming and Movies I have had several Vizio TVs and havent had any issues.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Spooky wrote:Let me rephrase my Panasonic Plasma IR rant slightly...

I still use and love the TV. The OLED BLOWS it away but it's still a great set. The IR thing was irritating because it was noticeable, but never permanent and not a true hinderance of any kind. Just...annoying...
I still love my Panny plasma picture, but its making a pretty loud buzzing noise now.

TCL announced their successor to the P series will be coming this year with a 65" and 55" size.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

AcemanPR
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AcemanPR »

The 2018 TCLs look sweet!

fletcher21
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fletcher21 »

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-70-clas ... rVEALw_wcB

70" LG on sale from 1500-1000. Is this a decent tv? The price and size are right for me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Looking for suggestions for a 4k HDR TV for gaming, I want to wall mount it in my den / Pc gaming area and move my XB1X and PS4 Pro in there. I will be sitting really close, like 4-6 feet from it so it doesn't need to be a really large screen.

Since I've lost all access to my KS in the family room, I need to make a change of location for my 4k consoles.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

When I moved, I ended up killing my KS8000 (I had a black bar going down the right edge of the screen, about 50 pixels in), so I did all new TV evaluating.

Did a bunch of page searches and in-store views, and ended getting a Sony XBR55X930E.

I haven't been disappointed at all...loved it, but I've only had it about a month and a half at this point. TI has a brighter display than my old Samsung, but (especially with TVs), it's likely all eye-of-the-beholder stuff. I didn't even want to mess with POSSIBLE image-retention stuff with an OLED, and I didn't care about viewing angles, as it's mounted to a stand in my gaming room.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:Looking for suggestions for a 4k HDR TV for gaming, I want to wall mount it in my den / Pc gaming area and move my XB1X and PS4 Pro in there. I will be sitting really close, like 4-6 feet from it so it doesn't need to be a really large screen.

Since I've lost all access to my KS in the family room, I need to make a change of location for my 4k consoles.
Might want to give this a look.....

https://www.tclusa.com/blog/6-series-coming-may

Serious local dimming and HDR10/Dolby Vision support.

Thinking about a 55" for my office to replace my 32" desktop monitor and put my X1X in the office as my gaming hub.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The 55-inch TCL P605/607 gets insanely good reviews, has 4K, HDR, Dolby Vision and 72-area local dimming with built-in Roku for $599 at Best Buy. Best of all, the gaming lag is described as EXCELLENT in most reviews.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-cla ... Id=5878705

Price is a bit higher at Amazon because it includes a more robust remote. But exact same TV:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y6 ... AAAAWZxKVw

Seriously consider it. TCL is the second-largest TV screen manufacturer in the world behind Samsung, I believe. The company only started branding and selling its own stuff in the last few years.

The Wirecutter calls it the best TV on the market, period:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-4k-tv/

I'm almost certainly buying the successor to this set when it's released later this year if reviews are good, and it will be my first dip into the 4K pool. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks, never heard of TCL before.

I'm confused the blog says the 6 series is out in May but those product numbers at Best Buy make me think it is the 6 series.
Follow Me on:

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

They are changing up the names, everyone called them P-, C-, or S-series this year but TCL is now referring by their model # instead. The P becomes 6, and I think the 5 is the old S...while C might stay around as the C?

I'm definitely interested in hearing if the 6 gets great reviews like the P. In addition to more local dimming zones, they are offering a 65" model this year.

All of the research I did for a 65" replacement kept bringing me back to the Sony 900e models. Local dimming, 120hz screens, great motion processing, and great reviews...but out of my price range after getting hit with a few unexpected costs. Vizio's P-series is comparable and cheaper, but the AVSForum thread scared me off with all of the issues owners have been experiencing.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Dave wrote:All of the research I did for a 65" replacement kept bringing me back to the Sony 900e models.
That is exactly where I kept coming back to, except for 55" models. And then decided that the extra brightness and deeper blacks on the 930E was worth it in the end.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Never mind. Dave answered Dan's question better than I did before reading his post! :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

So my 4 year old 55in Vizio bit the dust last weekend.....really loved that tv but was hoping to get a good 6 years out of it. Anyway..,spent the entire week researching tv's and it came down to Samsung, TCL, and LG for me. I went with this 2018 model Samsung....4K is amazing! Glad to be onboard!

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions- ... u7100fxza/
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I've waited for the new TCL 6 series to come out and the 55 inch 55R615 model is getting mixed reviews. Seems to be a pretty high rate of vertical banding issues and also dimming in the corners. Almost every negative review says the TV, colors, 4K are fantastic but these issues kill it.

So now I'm not sure what to do, the older 55P605 has higher reviews but it is the same price and I'm honestly not sure of the differences between the 2 TV's.

Anyone have experience with the new model?
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:I've waited for the new TCL 6 series to come out and the 55 inch 55R615 model is getting mixed reviews. Seems to be a pretty high rate of vertical banding issues and also dimming in the corners. Almost every negative review says the TV, colors, 4K are fantastic but these issues kill it.

So now I'm not sure what to do, the older 55P605 has higher reviews but it is the same price and I'm honestly not sure of the differences between the 2 TV's.

JC has the new TCL 55R617 from Amazon and has none of those issues. He seems to be in love with the set.

Seems to be hit and miss.

I am also interested in the model you are and seeing mixed reviews. I'm waiting for my birthday in August and hoping a firmware update may address some of the issues described by other users. Seeing TCL CS reps responding to dissatisfied users at BB and Amazon.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:I've waited for the new TCL 6 series to come out and the 55 inch 55R615 model is getting mixed reviews. Seems to be a pretty high rate of vertical banding issues and also dimming in the corners. Almost every negative review says the TV, colors, 4K are fantastic but these issues kill it.

I ordered the 55R617 from Amazon the first day they listed it. While it took me 10 days to get the set (from the initially indicated 6 days), once I got it set up and running, it was flawless. I have no vertical banding, no dead pixels, no corner dimming, no uniformity issues, and I've run every performance test I can find on it looking for problems.

I also recognize that I probably won the panel lottery with this set, but all I can say is that I'm totally elated with the 6-Series, as it has totally surpassed every expectation I had for it as a computer and video game monitor, a streaming media playback monitor, a Blu-ray playback monitor, and an HDTV. It is a perfect match with my XBox One X.

I'd recommend buying it at Best Buy, if you don't absolutely have to have the RF remote, which is the only difference in the 617 over the 615, and take it back if it has any of the performance deficiencies some are reporting. The picture quality on this compares to other more "premium" brands I've seen costing four and five hundred dollars more, IMO.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

J_Cauthen wrote: I also recognize that I probably won the panel lottery with this set, .
That's the thing, for every post like yours where people have no issues, there are 4-5 of people with issues. The ratio reminds me of the Xbox 360 problems.

Returning stuff to Best Buy is not as easy as it sounds.
Follow Me on:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Danimal wrote:
J_Cauthen wrote: I also recognize that I probably won the panel lottery with this set, .
That's the thing, for every post like yours where people have no issues, there are 4-5 of people with issues. The ratio reminds me of the Xbox 360 problems.

Returning stuff to Best Buy is not as easy as it sounds.
Interesting....I have had ZERO issues returning / exchanging anything at BB.....