Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Kicking The Tires On A New TV...Advice Needed

Post by Lancer »

pigpen81 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:57 am
My bill last week for Cox internet was $130 (they added $10 because we barely went over the data cap). F'n BS!

I checked and we finally have fiber available from ATT.

3 days later I have ATT installed and our new bill is $65 with no data cap. ($5 off for paperless bill)

congrats.

did they drill any new holes in your home? or just use the paths that cox used?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I have Xfinity Gigabit (1200 MBPS) service with my own router and I pay like $105/month. Only other option is the TMobile 5G service which gets like 150 MBPS around here.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:27 am
pigpen81 wrote:
My bill last week for Cox internet was $130 (they added $10 because we barely went over the data cap). F'n BS!

3 days later I have ATT installed and our new bill is $65 with no data cap. ($5 off for paperless bill)

congrats.

They had to drill during my install. I upgraded to Fiber and they had to run an entire new line and input area. Was pretty easy. They even had to go through brick. The tech was solid though. She had been out a few times when we had issues with the original non-fiber service.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Sudz wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:57 am
Lancer wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:27 am
pigpen81 wrote:

congrats.

They had to drill during my install. I upgraded to Fiber and they had to run an entire new line and input area. Was pretty easy. They even had to go through brick. The tech was solid though. She had been out a few times when we had issues with the original non-fiber service.
the guy is coming out on Saturday for me. Hopefully it'll be nice and easy

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

For those who have YOUTUBE TV - is there a delay between real time vs telecast? Like for example, right now with comcast, I think there is a 5-10 second delay between a live event to telecast.

Is it the same for Youtube TV or longer delay? Like say when the superbowl happens, a team scores a TD in real time at 3:00. How long does youtube tv take to show that tv? Like 30 seconds after live? less or more?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

There is a delay of about 30 seconds, however, they have added a feature recently to reduce that delay (down to about 10 seconds) on a temporary basis (48hr) for watching sports. Then for normal tv it's recommended you just turn it back to default.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... ast-delay/

I've never been a scroll twitter in real time while watching sports, so the 30 second delay doesn't bother me.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I need to buy an 85 inch TV for our house in Florida. I don't feel like spending 3-5k on one because we're already spending a s*** ton on some renovations.

Anyone have any recommendations for one under 2k?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Danimal wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:34 pm
I need to buy an 85 inch TV for our house in Florida. I don't feel like spending 3-5k on one because we're already spending a s*** ton on some renovations.

Anyone have any recommendations for one under 2k?
Try costco. I went to the one near me and they had a 85 inch for $1850. It isn't online so probably something you can only get by going to the store.

Target has 75 inch tv's usually under $1000 mainly Vizio and LG brands.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

just got fiber installed. it was very easy for the tech. he just drilled 2 holes to the back of home where the wires comes in and so far it's faster than my xfinty.

im going to sign up for youtube tv tomorrow and then cancel xfintity on Monday.

for those who cancelled is it a pain in the ass? I know I got to physically drive to the comcast shop to give away my equipment. I hate going there because all the workers there suck and there's always a line out the door.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:43 pm
There is a delay of about 30 seconds, however, they have added a feature recently to reduce that delay (down to about 10 seconds) on a temporary basis (48hr) for watching sports. Then for normal tv it's recommended you just turn it back to default.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-thea ... ast-delay/

I've never been a scroll twitter in real time while watching sports, so the 30 second delay doesn't bother me.
so i got youtube tv today and still have comcast until i cancel tomorrow. i compared some of the channels and YOUTUBE TV is faster on the feed than xfinity. this is on my roku tv.

College basketball game - youtube tv was like 5 seconds more live than xfinity.
CNN - youtube tv was 2-3 seconds faster than xfinity
Local channels - some were a few seconds behind and some were a few seconds ahead

Not sure if it's the newness factor but seems like the picture clarity is better thru youtube tv than xfinity. I think the feed is still 720 but i think that was the same feed on xfinity or maybe xfinity was 1080p.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Looks like it's better to add HBO thru YOUTUBE TV than Standalone. At least with YTTV it gives you 13 HBO channels like comcast did.

BTW, I went to Costco and they have some ROKU TV's for sale.

There was a 55 inch for $279 but the brand was Roku.

https://www.costco.com/roku-55%e2%80%9d ... 40043.html

I got a TCL some years ago from there with Roku and it's great. I may want to upgrade my living room old panny. What do you guys think of this tv :

https://www.costco.com/tcl-65%22-class- ... 82386.html

$299 for 65 inch. I'd use it only to watch tv/movies . Probably not video games unless I switch the ps5 or xbx

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

cancelled comcast today. finally cut the cord!

the rep on the phone was being a jerk asking me to stay. i told him i've called the last 3 months trying to get a deal and was rejected every time. everytime my bill would still go up.

returned the equipment too and got the receipt.

---

still getting use to youtube tv. I must say the xfinity interface is so much more user friendly. But saving $200/mo by switching to youtube tv is still worth it. Another pleasant surprise was if you have chase freedom credit card, you get $20 credit a month for youtube tv. Not sure how long they'll have this deal last but that's nice. Also the youtube tv gave me a free month and 10 bucks off for the first 3 mo each.

I also found some free channels on roku tv as well that i didnt know about. A lot of good stuff out there for free. Like it has all the local channels from every major city. It's got streaming channels for a lot of old shows I like like Johnny Carsons, Dick Van Dyke, Carol Burnett, Alfred Hitchcock, plus tons more.

The only show other than live sports I really watch on tv is Law and Order Organized Crime. All the other stuff are old movies and tv shows.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

The toughest thing for me to adjust to when I cut the cord and switched to YouTube TV in 2019 was the concept you can't delete shows off your DVR when done. You simply mark them as watched; they don't show up in your new recordings, but they stay in your library. That drove my anal-retentive, detail-oriented self nuts.

But then I wrapped my head around that I have an on-demand library of EVERYTHING I have recorded over the last nine months, with no storage limits, and I saw the light. Pretty damn cool.

One feature you'll LOVE on YouTubeTV is that you don't need to add extra time when recording sports to account for possible overtime, rain delays, etc. YTTV does it automatically and will record until the event is over.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

pk500 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:39 pm
The toughest thing for me to adjust to when I cut the cord and switched to YouTube TV in 2019 was the concept you can't delete shows off your DVR when done. You simply mark them as watched; they don't show up in your new recordings, but they stay in your library. That drove my anal-retentive, detail-oriented self nuts.

But then I wrapped my head around that I have an on-demand library of EVERYTHING I have recorded over the last nine months, with no storage limits, and I saw the light. Pretty damn cool.

One feature you'll LOVE on YouTubeTV is that you don't need to add extra time when recording sports to account for possible overtime, rain delays, etc. YTTV does it automatically and will record until the event is over.
i haven't really figured out the recording yet. Like I set a recording for Law and Order and it records all the repeats from 20 years ago too. I guess it doesn't have an option to just record new episodes. Like you said, I guess that's ok. I will mess with it more this weekend.

But I do like that the live sports is faster than Xfinity.

I do like some channels that I had to pay for at Xfinity are free on YTTV. I thought I'd miss MLB Tv but the Roku Live channel carries it for free. So I can just switch over. Missing HIstory Channel but the only thing I really watched there was Mountain Men.

The Roku remote is really clunky. it's like some sega genesis mega button code you have to press just to bring the channels guide up. But I'm very happy I got rid of Xfinity.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Additional YouTube TV info...

If you haven't already, you can organize your channels in whatever order you would like. You can also remove channels you are not interested in. All can be done from your phone, computer, tablet, etc.

New feature with some of the remotes (Apple TV, Roku, some Firesticks), if you press and hold the middle button, it will return to the previous channel.

1080p enhanced is slowly rolling out for members.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

sportdan30 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:59 am
Additional YouTube TV info...

If you haven't already, you can organize your channels in whatever order you would like. You can also remove channels you are not interested in. All can be done from your phone, computer, tablet, etc.

New feature with some of the remotes (Apple TV, Roku, some Firesticks), if you press and hold the middle button, it will return to the previous channel.

1080p enhanced is slowly rolling out for members.
I saw most programs for me are 1080p.

I haven't signed on for HBO yet but probably will this weekend. Do the HBO channels get added to the list of channels? or is it you have to go thru another app?

I messed with the channel order to mimic xfinity. I put all the kid channels at the end since I don't watch those.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:25 pm
I haven't signed on for HBO yet but probably will this weekend. Do the HBO channels get added to the list of channels? or is it you have to go thru another app?
If you sign up for premium channels through YTTV, they will show in your channel list. No external app needed. At least that's the way it was when I subscribed to Showtime through YTTV.

But know that channels added to your account or new channels added for everyone on YTTV don't automatically appear in your channel guide or list. You need to go and manually add them to your list in whatever order you like through the phone app, I believe.

Some may see that as a negative. I see it as a positive, as the vast majority of new, niche channels added don't interest me.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Heck of a deal Danimal if you're still looking for a tv......

https://www.ign.com/articles/best-tv-de ... t-best-buy

jLp_VaKer0
Mario Mendoza

Post by jLp_VaKer0 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:13 pm
Heck of a deal Danimal if you're still looking for a tv......

https://www.ign.com/articles/best-tv-de ... t-best-buy
That is a ridiculous deal for a QD-OLED (confirmed if it's a USA unit).

According to Rtings review https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/s89c-oled it gets even more brighter than the LG C3,

Of course, since it's a Samsung, no Dolby Vision (it has HDR10+), but still, heck of a deal.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I ended up buying a roku 4k that comes with the voice remote for my other non-smart tv.

wow , it's so much more responsive than the roku that came with my TCL tv.

it makes a huge difference!

I guess the roku installed on the tv is just laggy by nature.

the roku 4k has an offer for free AMC+ and STarz for a month. I don't like signing up for these because I end up forgetting to cancel before the free trial ends. Any of you have these channels? Are they any good?

-----

So for the youtube TV recording, I see why you guys like it doesn't delete.

I recorded some of my fav movies that are playing on AMC like Goodfellas and Bronx Tale and it's nice to know they'll be there forever if I ever want to watch them.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Lancer wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:13 pm
I recorded some of my fav movies that are playing on AMC like Goodfellas and Bronx Tale and it's nice to know they'll be there forever if I ever want to watch them.
Not forever. Programs stay in your library for nine months and are deleted. But ... if you record a popular movie that's on TNT, AMC, TCM, etc., a few times per year, then you essentially will have it in your library forever because YTTV automatically records it every time if you have the movie set to record.

For example, I have "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "This Is Spinal Tap" and "Grand Prix" in my library basically forever because those movies are shown by various channels more than once per year.

But if you have a show/special/movie that's shown just once, you'll lose it after nine months. I think that's more than enough time to watch. And that's how Google can provide unlimited DVR space.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I recently discovered the multiview option which is pretty cool For something like march madness coming up it will be very useful to have 4 different games on one screen and ease to switch between them while the other 3 are still visible.

I think I've had YTTV for about a month now and it's good. the quality of the streams are excellent, and i'm paying way more less than cable. My fav right now is the add library mode - I've recorded so many movies now and have a backlog. And movies I saw only in theaters back in the day. Right now while I"m typing this I'm watching Hoosiers which I have not watched since it came out in 1986.

YTTV is great and all but I've realized I think if you just gave me the old school 3 big TV local channels, PBS, and a few UHF channels I'd be happy. It's sort of the same feeling when I had cable, so many channels but nothing REALLY I need to watch.

--

added - i dont remember if i posted this here or not, but if you have ATT Fiber and an AMEX card, you can get $40 AMEX credit for ATT Fiber if you use your AMEX card to pay/auto-pay.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Glad you're digging YTTV, dude. It is the best of the streaming cable replacements.

But yeah, I feel you on overwhelming glut of channels. Sure seems like I'm paying a lot for channels I never watch. The curse of the bundle.