Microsoft Unveils "Surface" Tablets

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Microsoft Unveils "Surface" Tablets

Post by Diablo25 »

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Microsoft Unveils "Surface" Tablets

Post by Teal »

I LOVE the casing that doubles as a keyboard. I've yet to pull the trigger on a tablet...this just might make me finally get one.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Teal wrote:I LOVE the casing that doubles as a keyboard. I've yet to pull the trigger on a tablet...this just might make me finally get one.
I'm definitely intrigued. They are touting it as a full desktop PC that doubles as a tablet.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Very cool. But I must admit that I'm fickle as hell about the tactile sensation of keyboards.

Nothing tops the response of Thinkpad-style keyboard on a Lenovo lappy for fast, accurate typing, and this looks a long way away from that to me. But I just noticed that Microsoft also is releasing a Type Cover, which appears to better mirror the crisp click-clack of a Thinkpad keyboard.

Now we're talking.

Very intriguing concept. Any word on price point?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Very intriguing concept. Any word on price point?
The concept is outstanding. Price wise you can expect 550 for the base model most likely. Nothing is in stone and nothing has leaked but 549 for Windows RT and in the 749 range for the Pro version. Which is actually well priced since it is gonna compete from a spec point of view with the 1000 dollar Ultrabooks.

I'm very very impressed with their hardware and software at this point. Even at that price. It will essentially eliminate the advantages that the iPad has over Android. Apps. If you can run any native windows app it really blows away anything Apple can provide with their smartphone OS on a tablet.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
The concept is outstanding. Price wise you can expect 550 for the base model most likely. Nothing is in stone and nothing has leaked but 549 for Windows RT and in the 749 range for the Pro version. Which is actually well priced since it is gonna compete from a spec point of view with the 1000 dollar Ultrabooks.

I'm very very impressed with their hardware and software at this point. Even at that price. It will essentially eliminate the advantages that the iPad has over Android. Apps. If you can run any native windows app it really blows away anything Apple can provide with their smartphone OS on a tablet.
I'm intrigued by the device. And think MS has a chance with this one. (Still thought the Courier was one of the coolest concepts around.)

BUT if the most used apps are Instagram and Angry Birds what do you think the large portion of the population want?

I could see more this being a better solution than the iPad for students. But that's still such a small sector. It's basically not a computer but more than the iPad. Maybe there's a large enough market for it.

Apple has such a huge head start that it feels like the PS2 going up against the Xbox. Microsoft didn't really turn it around until they got ahead of Sony and did console gaming better.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

No one is gonna dump an iPad for the Surface...completely different market. The Surface is going after computer/laptop users not secondary device users. There's a huge difference, which is why they can price it in the 500-800 range. Put some PC like specs in it (which they are doing) and voila...you've taken marketshare away from devices like the MacBook air and the Ultrabooks that have ultimately failed to impress. That's the market.

Now, where MS f*cked up is the announcement timing. People are excited about Windows 8...no doubt. But when you announce a compelling device 3-4 months before a release you lose a ton of momentum, not to mention 3-4 months worth of potential buyers who need a new laptop, who go out and buy an ultrabook or a macbook air in the meantime. Yes, a lot of those users likely would have purchased a new laptop anyway and I suppose they could wait until these are released, but with the announcement this early, people just don't know when the thing is going to be released or the cost or anything, so how can you really plan for that?

Apple does it right...they announce something and within a few days you can either pre-order the thing or you can buy it outright. THAT is how it's done. Not this, "oh it'll be ready in the fall" bullsh*t. The excitement will wear off and they will lose sales. Big time error IMO.

The thing that concerns me about the Surface is the screen. What tech is it? What's the res? Can I get something? Likely it's going to be sub-par compared to the retina on the iPad so they didn't want to get skewered for it...which they would have. I guess it could also be that they haven't finalized it, but I'm leaning towards the former.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

dbdynsty25 wrote:?

Apple does it right...they announce something and within a few days you can either pre-order the thing or you can buy it outright. THAT is how it's done. Not this, "oh it'll be ready in the fall" bullsh*t. The excitement will wear off and they will lose sales. Big time error IMO.
100% agree. The fact apple "announces it" and an hour later you can go to apple.com & buy it is one of the greatest moves in the tech biz (take advantage of the hype, man). "Annoucing it" then leaving everyone to wonder what it cost? does it have a wireless carrier? Release date? Is really lame. So what, they have have another presser to announce the rest of it? Weird. My guess is the high-end model goes for $999, but then again, who knows? Maybe they are gadging public reaction to determine a price?
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:

So here's my question. It's running Windows 8, not WP8. But as a tablet, it will be a magnet for apps that might be able to do double duty on WP*. Can this help Microsoft with WP8's mindshare?

I already have an original iPad, but this suddenly becomes a possible replacement when I decide to upgrade.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I like its interactivity with other devices, including USB and HDMI ports. Also by acting as super powered controller it may add some life into the 360 giving users another peripheral device. I don't see MS selling the product for anything less than $600.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:So here's my question. It's running Windows 8, not WP8. But as a tablet, it will be a magnet for apps that might be able to do double duty on WP*. Can this help Microsoft with WP8's mindshare?

I already have an original iPad, but this suddenly becomes a possible replacement when I decide to upgrade.
There are two models. The RT model (click here for differentiation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_RT) which will be a slimmed down version of Windows (think Windows CE) and then a Windows Pro version as well. The Windows RT runs on Tablets and consoles and Windows 8 will be just that...the new version of Windows.

The Surface Pro will essentially be a full blown Ultrabook laptop running an i5/i7 Quad Core processor and have components just a like a normal laptop.

The Surface RT version will be the cheaper one that will be their entry level. It'll still have all the office and microsoft programs built in, but it'll still be more "tablet" than full blown computer. They didn't mention anything about Windows Phone, so I'd presume they'd have different versions for different devices just like the iPhone/iPad does right now. The RT version will run the Windows Store like the phones, so I'm just assuming the cross platform games/apps will be compatible.

Confusing I know...which is one of the errors I think they made today in the presentation. Since the "pro" version isn't out until a few months after, they should have announced it later given the fact that it's essentially a laptop anyway. But I guess the whole point was to make people excited about the product "line" and not a single model.

In short, the way I'm looking at it and understanding it at this point is Surface RT = iPad and Surface Pro = MacBook Air.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Copy and pasted this from another forum discussing this topic:
Specs for the Pro model:

Processor: Intel Core i5 (Ivy Bridge)
Weight: 903 grams
Thickness: 13.5 millimeters
Display: 10.6-inch ClearType Full HD (1080p) capactive touchpanel
Battery: 42Wh
I/O: microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Software: Windows 8 Pro
Accessories: Touch Cover, Type Cover, VaporMg Case & Stand, Pen with Palm Block
Capacity: 64GB / 128GB
Availability: "Three months after" the Windows 8 launch this fall
Pricing: To be determined

So 3 months after Win8 launches; it's going to be a while.
No link provided.....

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'm still trying to figure out what to make of this.

I guess it will come down to software. There are plenty of comparable keyboard cases for the ipad, though maybe not as sexy; http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31747_7-20 ... ard-cases/

USB and HDMI ports are nice, but until they show the price and the range of software it will run, it's going to be a tough sell against the entrenched iPad.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Had this been Apple, there would be no Surface RT.

It would be just Surface or Surface Pro.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

JRod wrote:Had this been Apple, there would be no Surface RT.

It would be just Surface or Surface Pro.
Not sure that's not the case. They announced them as Surface and Surface PRO....we're adding the RT connotation because of the version of windows it's running.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Now, where MS f*cked up is the announcement timing. People are excited about Windows 8...no doubt. But when you announce a compelling device 3-4 months before a release you lose a ton of momentum, not to mention 3-4 months worth of potential buyers who need a new laptop, who go out and buy an ultrabook or a macbook air in the meantime. Yes, a lot of those users likely would have purchased a new laptop anyway and I suppose they could wait until these are released, but with the announcement this early, people just don't know when the thing is going to be released or the cost or anything, so how can you really plan for that?

I disagree, and from a marketing standpoint, this approach makes sense. What this does is get a person who is thinking about a laptop to consider holding off on making a purchase. If someone needs a laptop right away, it's true that it probably won't make a difference. But building market awareness may make someone who is considering a new laptop hold off.

Apple is constantly rolling off new products and has a dedicated army of addic--, er, users who eagerly await their new products. That's why their approach works for them. They actually took this approach when they released the first iPod and the first iPhone -- there was buzz for months. When you are a competitor and unveiling a new product, it makes sense to have a buildup for a while to increase market awareness and get the consumer excited for its release. That actually takes momentum away from your competition (provided the product looks appealing).

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The thing that concerns me about the Surface is the screen. What tech is it? What's the res? Can I get something? Likely it's going to be sub-par compared to the retina on the iPad so they didn't want to get skewered for it...which they would have. I guess it could also be that they haven't finalized it, but I'm leaning towards the former.
Seems like it'll be 720p or 1366 x 768 for the RT, and 1080p for the Pro. Which I think is fine for a 10 inch screen, and will help with performance in more demanding games and applications.
Last edited by Feanor on Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Feanor wrote:Seems like it'll be 720p or 1380 x 768 for the RT, and 1080p for the Pro. Which I think is fine for a 10 inch screen, and will help with performance in more demanding games and applications.
If they launch the RT at 1366x720 (which is 720p) they will fail miserably. Not even funny. Both tablets have to be 1920x1080 (1080p) minimum. That's just a fact right now.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Brando70 wrote:I disagree, and from a marketing standpoint, this approach makes sense. What this does is get a person who is thinking about a laptop to consider holding off on making a purchase. If someone needs a laptop right away, it's true that it probably won't make a difference. But building market awareness may make someone who is considering a new laptop hold off.
Well I did say that was true. So you don't COMPLETELY disagree with me. LOL. I still think announcing something like this that they want to get to market successfully, they have to do it like Apple does. You bring up the iPod and iPhone but those are completely different because they were the FIRST products of their kind at the time. The Surface isn't...it's an evolution of a product that people will just say I don't need that, it's only slightly better than what I've got now. iPods and iPhones were game changers.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Feanor wrote:Seems like it'll be 720p or 1366 x 768 for the RT, and 1080p for the Pro. Which I think is fine for a 10 inch screen, and will help with performance in more demanding games and applications.
If they launch the RT at 1366x720 (which is 720p) they will fail miserably. Not even funny. Both tablets have to be 1920x1080 (1080p) minimum. That's just a fact right now.
Well then they'll fail because that has to be what "HD Display" and "Full HD Display" mean.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Feanor wrote:Well then they'll fail because that has to be what "HD Display" and "Full HD Display" mean.
They will fail then if that's what that really means. No one is going to buy something at 1/3 the resolution of the iPad "3" if the RT version really will be a crippled version of Windows 8. The world is aware of Retina Displays now (even though it's a completely made up term) and they won't accept less than that. Guess we'll see eventually. Which is another reason I think it's stupid not to make it available now. Too much time to speculate on things that weren't clear.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The basic "surface model will start at $499 while the one the one that comes with a black touch cover and doubles as a keyboard will go for $599. These are for the 32 GB models.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

10spro wrote:The basic "surface model will start at $499 while the one the one that comes with a black touch cover and doubles as a keyboard will go for $599. These are for the 32 GB models.
They are screwed. Touchpad/Playbook part 2.