NHL 13

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

NHL 13

Post by Sudz »

New features have been posted:

http://www.puckgamer.com/nhl-13-new-features/

Not much meat here....

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: NHL 13

Post by Naples39 »

Thanks for the link.
· True Performance Skating – A game-changing innovation for the franchise that adds physics-driven skating and over 1000 new animations. True Performance Skating authentically replicates the explosiveness, momentum and top end speed displayed by today’s NHL players. True Performance Skating combined with the Skill Stick, finally gives gamers access to the entire toolset of an NHL player, delivering unprecedented control and unlocking a level of creativity never before possible in a hockey videogame.
I've been a critic of the skating model in the past, mainly that it allowed to many 360s, though it has gradually improved. This could be a good thing.
· EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q. – An innovative new A.I. system that governs the behaviors of players, goalies and team systems. In previous NHL games, players were only aware of skaters in their immediate proximity and goalies could only react to the player in control of the puck. With EA SPORTS Hockey I.Q., all players are now fully aware of every other player on the ice, resulting in quicker, smarter and more true-to-life decision-making. EA SPORTS Hockey IQ also delivers the deepest and most customizable set of real-world hockey systems and strategies ever for the franchise.
I don't play this game 1p at all, mainly because I think it's boring an uninteresting. ALL of my time in NHL 12 is online games with EASHL and HUT. Maybe this will make it more interesting.
· Improvements to core offline and online modes, including Hockey Ultimate Team, Be a Pro, EA SPORTS Hockey League, a refined on-ice presentation, and more.
No comment. That could mean a thousand things.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

we shall see... doesn't look like much to me, but of course we need to see actual footage of the game in action..

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Wished they picked a new commentary team other than Thorne and Clement.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Honestly, I really like Thorne and Clement. I just wish they had fresher commentary.

The NHL series is the only EA game that doesn't have stilted sounding commentary. I'm assuming that the direction Thorne got from 2K paid off for EA.

I'm not saying that Thorne could not be improved upon, but the list of guys that have tried to do sports commentary for sports games, but failed, is pretty extensive. I'm happier to keep the guys who do a nice job.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Aristo wrote:Honestly, I really like Thorne and Clement. I just wish they had fresher commentary.

The NHL series is the only EA game that doesn't have stilted sounding commentary. I'm assuming that the direction Thorne got from 2K paid off for EA.

I'm not saying that Thorne could not be improved upon, but the list of guys that have tried to do sports commentary for sports games, but failed, is pretty extensive. I'm happier to keep the guys who do a nice job.
While I am not necessarily saying that T & C are bad, they wearing growing stale on me. Would have loved to see J. Hughson and R. Ferraro for a change.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

MizzouRah wrote:Now we get some MEAT!

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nhl_1 ... hl-13.aspx
I wonder a little bit when they mention speed bursts and holding L-trigger to skate backwards, as if those are new additions. Either way, a lot of good ideas, but it's all subtle things affecting feel and balance. It will be hard to weigh the value of this until you actually play the new game.
7. EA has tweaked goaltender performance to open up the five hole for more scoring opportunities.
11. The new AI system helps players understand situations as they develop on the ice and react to them accordingly. For example, thanks to the new EA Sports Hockey IQ, goalies are much more aware of situations like odd-man rushes. Before, goalies only knew where the puck was. Now, they anticipate player positioning and react realistically to 2-on-1s, 3-on-1s, and 2-on-0s. They may cheat and play more out of the net to challenge a shooter, or sit back to avoid giving a trailing player an open net. Now that they are willing to cheat, desperation saves and scrambling goaltenders are much more common.
Hooray for 5-hole! If it were up to me, I'd make goalies much leakier here but balance that by making it much harder for shooters to pick a corner over the glove hand. I get tired of everyone shooting high all the time.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

Naples39 wrote: Hooray for 5-hole! If it were up to me, I'd make goalies much leakier here but balance that by making it much harder for shooters to pick a corner over the glove hand. I get tired of everyone shooting high all the time.
Or how about more shots being terrible. Like in FIFA too many shots right on net.
[url=http://sensiblecoasters.wordpress.com/][b]Sensible Coasters - A critique of sports games, reviews, gaming sites and news. Questionably Proofread![/b][/url]

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Trailer.

XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Looking good.

webcast: http://www.easports.com/nhl/promo/nhl-webcast

The skating engine looks fantastic!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I think this is looking more and more like the update everyone hoped NHL 12 would have been.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote:I think this is looking more and more like the update everyone hoped NHL 12 would have been.
Yep.. like 2007, I think EA got all they could get out of that engine for the past 6 years. It's pretty much the trend with EA sports games though. :)

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

MizzouRah wrote:
Aristo wrote:I think this is looking more and more like the update everyone hoped NHL 12 would have been.
Yep.. like 2007, I think EA got all they could get out of that engine for the past 6 years. It's pretty much the trend with EA sports games though. :)
Well, this console generation is going long, and I can't blame any company for waiting to crank out a serious upgrade to an engine until the next gen. In the end, I have to say the NHL 12 broke more than it improved. It was still a fun game, but had more irritants than NHL 11.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Aristo wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:
Well, this console generation is going long, and I can't blame any company for waiting to crank out a serious upgrade to an engine until the next gen. In the end, I have to say the NHL 12 broke more than it improved. It was still a fun game, but had more irritants than NHL 11.
Totally agree and I've been playing the heck out of NHL 11, NHL 12 was returned for credit via Amazon.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

just voted for C. Giroux to be in the cover of the game for 2013. The other finalist is P. Rinne.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

10spro wrote:just voted for C. Giroux to be in the cover of the game for 2013. The other finalist is P. Rinne.
The EA cover jinx! I am so glad Malkin didn't make it to the final round. :P
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I have zero excitement for this game. I'm a single-player sports gamer, for the most part, and I've given up on EA's promises of improved AI.

The single-player AI -- especially the positional AI -- for NHL 12 sucked without MASSIVE slider adjustments, and I'm just not devoted enough anymore to gaming to spend hours upon hours to tinker a game to get it playing even close to the real sport on the ice. I could care less about whether skating looks realistic if that great skating model doesn't put people into the right places on the ice at the right time.

Hope you enjoy this one, fellas. But I've finally given up on EA hockey.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:I have zero excitement for this game. I'm a single-player sports gamer, for the most part, and I've given up on EA's promises of improved AI.

The single-player AI -- especially the positional AI -- for NHL 12 sucked without MASSIVE slider adjustments, and I'm just not devoted enough anymore to gaming to spend hours upon hours to tinker a game to get it playing even close to the real sport on the ice. I could care less about whether skating looks realistic if that great skating model doesn't put people into the right places on the ice at the right time.

Hope you enjoy this one, fellas. But I've finally given up on EA hockey.
OK, forget about single player. And in typical EA fashion before each sports game they trumpet vast improvements here and there. Smoke and mirrors if you will, but you got to get this game at least for some OTP action.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

And they have actually worked on the ai this year so we will see.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I just treat this game like playing pick up hockey. Fire up the xbox, play a few OTP games, and call it a night. No worries about seasons, trades, AI....Believe it or not I still play 12 a few nights a week, but I think I will force myself to sell and take a break before 13 comes out.

My problem with the AI in 12 is that there was no rhythm to the AI. Stop, start, then a sudden inexplicable pass or shot. It just felt so robotic and uninteresting.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Jimmydeicide wrote:And they have actually worked on the ai this year so we will see.
I've heard that before. Fool me once, I'm a sucker. Fool me 11 times, I'm a f*cking moron.

No, thanks.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:OK, forget about single player. And in typical EA fashion before each sports game they trumpet vast improvements here and there. Smoke and mirrors if you will, but you got to get this game at least for some OTP action.
This game probably will end up in our household because my youngest son loved it. But I have zero interest in it, offline or online. I didn't enjoy OTP last year when I played with you guys.

I know: It's my problem, not yours. But I'm just sick and tired of the AI limitations of most team sports games, whether played online or offline.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Skating engine looking much improved.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star