OT: Diablo III Release 05-15-12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Diablo III Release 05-15-12

Post by MizzouRah »

TCrouch wrote:Yeah, I could 1-hit him on Normal :lol:

Well, maybe not. But I could certainly off him in a matter of seconds. Think my Barb has about 7,000 DPS now.
Show off! :lol:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

DB,

I'll be on late night Central time tonight and I'll see if I can help you out with my monk. It's been awhile since I played, but I'm sure we'll be able to knock him out without too much trouble.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Alright...probably won't be able to get on until like 1030 or 1100 PST. So whatever time that is in Central. LOL...I hate time zones.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Alright...probably won't be able to get on until like 1030 or 1100 PST. So whatever time that is in Central. LOL...I hate time zones.
No problem. I've been meaning to work on my wizard anyway, so I'll be around.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Alright...probably won't be able to get on until like 1030 or 1100 PST. So whatever time that is in Central. LOL...I hate time zones.
Is that a euphemism?

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:
Is that a euphemism?
The world will never know...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Probably not gonna play tonight Rob...tired as hell and gonna go to bed shortly. Maybe later this week.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Probably not gonna play tonight Rob...tired as hell and gonna go to bed shortly. Maybe later this week.
No problem. Just holler.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

I finished this last night on the 360 (just on normal). I must give a massive thanks to Terry and everyone else on the Game of the Year thread that raved about the console version - it's brilliant. Having direct control makes it feel like a brand new game. Even if you've played it on PC I think it's worth checking out. Without the auction house the drops are much, much better.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Macca! I've played that game more than any other the past year, by far. I still fire it up from time to time, and once the expansion launches, it will be time to dive back into it again.

It's still probably the best bang-for-my-buck title I purchased on 360 in its lifetime.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Amazon is selling the PC version for $19.99 if anyone is interested.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Expansion released today with a new class (Crusader, sort of like a Paladin), new act, new mode (Adventure mode so you can just bounce around and claim bounties without having to replay the same story missions over and over), new loot tables, new craftsman, new transmogrification stuff to make one piece of gear look like another.

If you are not completely burned out on Diablo, it's worth a look again. I played a Barbarian from 1 to 60 using the new loot table and found something like 25 legendaries. I only found 2 in all the time I played on PC on the release version. My Crusader is only up to 23 currently, but it's definitely what the game was missing. That prototypical, plate-wearing medieval tank appearance.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I ordered Diablo III the PC version from Amazon for $20. Gamespot said that Diablo III may only get released on the PS4 even though the game was developed for both systems.

Does the PC version still require online connection?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yep, it does.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

...and Adventure Mode (which you can only access after defeating the new Act with any character) is awesome...

Opens up the entire map, and you get multiple bounties (5, I believe) on any Act--1 through 5. If you clear a bounty, you get a STAGGERING amount of XP and gold. Clear all 5 and you get a special loot chest to open and you get more XP and gold. On top of this, you get blood shards that you can turn into an NPC for top-tier gear for your level, and nephalem rift shards that you can combine to open up a nephalem rift--essentially a 100% randomized dungeon. You could have monsters from Act 5 in an area that uses textures from Act 2, randomized bosses, loot, etc. When you log back in for another session, the bounties all refresh so it's not like "complete this quest and move on" type of stuff.

Bottom line, they just introduced an incredible "end game" type of gameplay, rather than having to replay the campaign over and over to hit the level cap. The new difficulties (Normal, Hard, Expert, Master, and Torment with a slider) are tuned to give you +75%, +100%, +200% xp and magic find, etc. I'm playing solo on Expert and went from level 48 to 51 doing nothing but 5 bounties during my lunch hour.

Absolutely, positively reopened that "must kill, must loot" need again. This is much closer to what people envisioned for Diablo 3 before the Auction House stuff, I'm betting.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

I am new to Diablo and have owned the 360 version for awhile but had never put much time into it until now. I'm totally hooked. What a great game. Some questions on the xbox version -

-For local co-op does every player have to be on their own profile? Seems a bit annoying to be forced to create additional profiles for my kids, friends, etc just for this game.

-If I start a new build is there any way to share what is in my stash from my first build? I assume if the answer to the first question is yes I'd have to create them on a separate profile. Not sure if its worth it. I currently have a level 20 barbarian, was considering trying out a wizard next.

-Finally is there a way to see an items stats before actually picking it up and adding to inventory? Looks like it is an option on the PC, not sure on xbox. Also on the PC it looks like it shows "stat changes if equipped" for inventory items. Does this exist on the 360 or am I stuck equipping an item and then looking back to see the attribute changes?

Thanks

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

1) Yes you have to have unique profiles as all items and loot are saved to the profile save.
2) Yes, the stash is automatically shared between every character you own. There's nothing to do but go open it on a different character and you'll see everything you saw on your other one. You cannot jump from profile to profile unless you trade while in-game with that profile, though.
3) No. But the 'quick look' in the lower right that appears when you pick stuff up is an at-a-glance view, where you can use the D-pad to see anywhere from 9 "down arrows" to 9 "up arrows" for the worst downgrade and best upgrade, respectively. It's a quick-view guide, but you cannot see attribute changes until you see the item.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

Thanks, appreciate it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

For those who have played both the last gen and current gen. Are the graphics bump from the 360 to XBONE and PS3 to PS4 really noticeable? Which version looks better PS4 or XONE? I'm still undecided which one to get.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Haven't seen XB1 vs. PS4, but from 360 to PS4 it's a noticeable improvement, yes. Not to mention all of the new systems that don't exist on the old version (Adventure Mode, Bounties, etc). It's not just a graphical upgrade--it includes the expansion that wasn't available on consoles until now.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TC I'll be on late tonight, well late my time probably diner time for you :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'm sure I'll be on. I'll leave the game open to friends--even if your toon is a lower level, your stats boost up to join in the game.

If I'm playing by myself, though, I can roll with a new character anyway.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Im probably picking this up this weekend.

I have it on the pc but Terry makes it sound too good to pass up.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Consider the source, though. I've leveled 4 toons to 70 on PC, maxed out all the crafters, etc.

Then I've leveled another few to 60 on consoles, maxed out THOSE crafters...and couldn't wait to purchase it again on PS4 to play the new systems on a controller (I'm weird, but I like their controller interface better than the mouse interface, oddly).

If you weren't all absorbed in the PC version, the console version isn't so dramatically different. It's just basically the PC version on a TV with a controller. The consoles just didn't have adventure mode before and the re-tuned drop rates and whatnot, which turns it into a different game. It brings it on par with the PC version, but doesn't necessarily surpass it.

Phototropic
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Phototropic »

I played the original on PC and couldn't get into it which was in part due to having to play on a laptop.

Then I bought the 360 version and played through the story once having a great time. I couldn't stomach replaying the story though.

Now I am playing on the PS4 and hooked. The monster density is so much higher than i remember last gen, so it is like I'm having a seizure at times (in a good way.) I am anticipating the bounties will solve my replayability problem.

Like Terry I much prefer the controller to mouse.