OT: Diablo III Release 05-15-12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Diablo III Release 05-15-12

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Teal...if you're not a fan of mouse control...you'll hate diablo...man what a pain it is to get use to playing and controlling with a mouse. Insanely difficult if it's your first time. Game is worth it though it seems.
I miss playing first-person shooters with a mouse since I returned to consoles last November. No gamepad can give you the control and accuracy of a mouse while playing FPS games on the PC.
I think you are misquoting me. Lol. Diablo isnt a fps...it's an isometric view where you control everything with the mouse. You click to run and move your guy as well as attacking and stuff like that. Not a traditional fps like you're thinking of. So when I say it is tough...that's why. I completely agree that fps should be done with a mouse. Lol.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Man this game is f'n hard. I am in some random mine after defeating the skeleton king in the first act and I can't seem to do any real damage in the mines. I have no idea what to do next cuz I can imagine I'm just going to get too frustrated with this game.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

What class are you? You want to grab gear that's specialized for your class. When I hit a wall like that, I've even backed out and gone to the auction house to get new stuff for gold.

For example, I can search for any armor with +strength or +vitality attributes, with a maximum buyout of 1000 gold, rare items. It gives me a massive list of items people are selling, and I can equip an entire new set pretty quickly. If you're at that point and not using a weapon that's 20+ DPS, though, you're probably going to struggle.

That's right where the beta ended (Skeleton King), so it got a lot more difficult for me right after that, too.

You could always let me join your game, too--with two people it's a much different experience.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Man this game is f'n hard. I am in some random mine after defeating the skeleton king in the first act and I can't seem to do any real damage in the mines. I have no idea what to do next cuz I can imagine I'm just going to get too frustrated with this game.
Are you bringing a companion along with you? I find that even the CPU guys are a huge help as well. I'm just beyond that point myself, but the only time I've died at all was the skeleton king.

Enjoyed my first taste of co-op with Terry last night. Felt like the game was 3x as fast though. Not entirely clear about the loot. There are separate drops in each of our games?
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Yep, separate drops. Other players can't see stuff on your screen unless you pick it up and drop it.

Terry - congrats on the monster barbarian. Saw you tearing it up last night but my 6th level monk wasn't going to join in.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

EZ--thanks! I have to admit, I was totally wrong about sword-and-board being useless. I ran into a particularly nasty boss that had me rethink my entire strategy. I now keep a bigass shield on hand with a 1H vitality weapon just in case haha

And Rob, it got much faster because the guy I was playing with you had a nasty weapon on him, so he was ripping through stuff really quickly. The game definitely gets more hectic with more people in it, but you start figuring it out the more you play. You play a bit differently in a party, too, as your role in a group might be different than your role while out soloing.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

RobVarak wrote: Enjoyed my first taste of co-op with Terry last night. Felt like the game was 3x as fast though. Not entirely clear about the loot. There are separate drops in each of our games?
That's because Terry runs off like a bat out of hell and you're always trying to find him! Co-op for Terry is I'm going here you follow me! :)

Yeah whatever loot drops on your screen in co-op is yours short of the healing pots I think.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

TCrouch wrote:EZ--thanks! I have to admit, I was totally wrong about sword-and-board being useless. I ran into a particularly nasty boss that had me rethink my entire strategy. I now keep a bigass shield on hand with a 1H vitality weapon just in case haha

And Rob, it got much faster because the guy I was playing with you had a nasty weapon on him, so he was ripping through stuff really quickly. The game definitely gets more hectic with more people in it, but you start figuring it out the more you play. You play a bit differently in a party, too, as your role in a group might be different than your role while out soloing.
Terry, in your article, I noted your comment about your "chiding" of me in our game a couple of days ago. I was reading the article next to my wife and said "Hey! He's talking about me!" :D

I started a new game with my two sons last night and by level 10, I had a bad-ass 92 pt Shield for my newly rolled Barbarian. I definitely needed to pull it out for the bigger bosses....

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Leadfoot - it was neat dropping in on your family grouping. You were mowing things down with such speed it was something to behold.

Leadfoot5
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by Leadfoot5 »

EZSnappin wrote:Leadfoot - it was neat dropping in on your family grouping. You were mowing things down with such speed it was something to behold.
Thanks! Yeah, my kids are 18 and 15 and have a lot more experience with these games than I do. They were rockin' with the Witch Doctor and Wizard while I just stood around and bashed stuff with my Barbarian. :)

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Danimal wrote:
RobVarak wrote: Enjoyed my first taste of co-op with Terry last night. Felt like the game was 3x as fast though. Not entirely clear about the loot. There are separate drops in each of our games?
That's because Terry runs off like a bat out of hell and you're always trying to find him! Co-op for Terry is I'm going here you follow me! :)

Yeah whatever loot drops on your screen in co-op is yours short of the healing pots I think.
You realize that in Diablo, everybody in the party gets the same xp no matter who kills it or how it works, right? There are times when I sit and wait, and the one time in our co-op session a couple nights ago where the exit could be anywhere, so it sometimes helps to split up and scout.

Co-op means killing sh*t faster in Diablo for the rewards. Not sure if this is a dig at me or not, but I can kill hordes of sh*t really fast, so I usually don't stand around waiting for people if I can kill stuff that's right in front of me, and I already know where to go next.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:What class are you? You want to grab gear that's specialized for your class. When I hit a wall like that, I've even backed out and gone to the auction house to get new stuff for gold.

For example, I can search for any armor with +strength or +vitality attributes, with a maximum buyout of 1000 gold, rare items. It gives me a massive list of items people are selling, and I can equip an entire new set pretty quickly. If you're at that point and not using a weapon that's 20+ DPS, though, you're probably going to struggle.
I'm a demon hunter...and it's tough in the caves where then are tons of bats and those crazy burrowing frogs...I can't fire fast enough and my rapid fire bow/arrow is way too slow to regenerate and it is weak on top of that. So I'll have to take your advice and go back to town and buy some new gear. I believe all of my stuff is in the teens as far as their damage ratings go.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, as far as classes go, I think Demon Hunter is actually the easiest if you have the right gear. For comparison, mine is only level 17, but he's got a 151.09 damage rating--230 dexterity, and a pair of Hand crossbows that do 28.0 and 26.5 DPS each.

I go into a cave and start firing off hungering shot and stuff is dead in 1 or 2 hits tops. One thing you have to get used to when using something like hungering shot is redirecting the shots at your other targets. I might start firing at one mob, but then as I am attacking I'm mousing over the next target, so when the shot pierces through, it directs to my next monster. You won't struggle much if you find +DEX gear and a decent weapon. I actually have a lvl 12 bow that I think does 27.X DPS if you want it.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Terry's barbarian is a thing of beauty. A flash of a ginormous axe, and all the bad guys are replaced with a quivering red goo.

I'm digging my monk. He's got some sweet moves that can really handle groups well. My favorite is when I use a sort of tornado to pull the baddies right next to me, then use my special roundhouse kick that sends them all flying away again. He also has a couple minor healing skills, and even one that is like a ranged punch.

I also like how you can change your skills on the fly, so based on the group you're in you can switch them around.

Lots of simple loot grabbing fun.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:
You realize that in Diablo, everybody in the party gets the same xp no matter who kills it or how it works, right?
Dude I was just poking some fun hence the :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I let Terry run all over the map blowing s*** up while I stood in place and tried to figure out the emotes. :lol:

All my WoW skills have thoroughly disintegrated.

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's really sad how much I didn't know about how to play this damn game. Terry dropped in on my game about midnight last night and an hour and a half later I've got a bunch of rare gear and am kicking ass. LOL. Thanks again man for all the tips/tricks.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Glad it helped out :)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Bad news? Bronchitis is keeping me inside for the nicest weekend of the year.

Good news? Bronchitis is keeping me inside for the nicest weekend of the year.

Wife and kids are off socializing, which means D3 and the Cubs-Sox on the radio. As good a night as you can have with bronchitis, I think.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Great times last night, Rob!

I started out playing on Hardcore today, and lemme tell ya--the tension it creates is much deeper than on Normal. Plus, the stash and inventory doesn't carry over at all, so you can't stack your character out with awesome gear to start. You have to basically play it for the first time all over again. Diggin' it, though.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:Great times last night, Rob!

I started out playing on Hardcore today, and lemme tell ya--the tension it creates is much deeper than on Normal. Plus, the stash and inventory doesn't carry over at all, so you can't stack your character out with awesome gear to start. You have to basically play it for the first time all over again. Diggin' it, though.
Then I'm really screwed since I barely just made it through act I. LOL.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

hah...it's really no different, it's just if you die, that's it. No respawn. That creates a bigger pucker factor running around when you get swarmed. Much more careful play style than the run-n-gun that's so easy on normal mode.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

TCrouch wrote:Great times last night, Rob!
Definitely. You were a freaking thermonuclear device! LOL I was just doing crowd control and enjoying the show you were putting on.

I was cranking through levels so fast that I didn't even have a chance to re-spec! Lots of fun.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

I think this Joystiq review really gets it absolutely right. I was playing with db last night and he asked me if it was boring playing co-op on levels that I've already completed. In most games it absolutely would be. But in Diablo, the levels and plot are utterly superficial. They're simply the substrate upon which the game happens.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/21/diabl ... e-jackpot/

I'm loving the game to death, althought I have to say it becomes a bit challenging as a monk in the higher levels. My DPS is so high now that I can take out mobs with 1-2 shots, denying me the precious, precious spirit I need to go nuclear. I'm actually going to respec today to swap some DPS for health and protection just to get more balance.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:I was playing with db last night and he asked me if it was boring playing co-op on levels that I've already completed. In most games it absolutely would be. But in Diablo, the levels and plot are utterly superficial. They're simply the substrate upon which the game happens.
Funny...you bailed about 8 seconds before I went into the Magna (I think that's the chicks name) boss fight. LOL...so thanks for that. I handled her tho, so no biggie. All thanks to Terry's equipment drop for me. :)