OT: Windows 8

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Windows 8

Post by Naples39 »

Anybody try this? It's available for a free download right now.

I downloaded it and made it a dual boot on my machine. It's pretty disorienting honestly. While the traditional desktop is there (but hidden away), it definitely feels very much like a tablet/phone OS. Maybe I'll play with it but I'm not sure I'm going to install a bunch of programs and use it predominantly anytime soon.

It has pretty heavy xbox integration--if your xbox is on you can control your xbox (navigate, launch games) from your PC.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Windows 8

Post by Diablo25 »

Yeah, you can tell they designed it with tablets in mind. I passed on the consumer preview
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I'm running it via VMWare on my MacBook Air, and despite being the Apple fanboy, I'm very impressed. Microsoft is innovating rather than copying Apple, and has a chance to retain/reclaim their OS dominance thanks to an attractive, fun to use, and innovative UX that suggests a single interface model can work from phone to tablet to desktop.

A lot hinges on developer support, MS execution, and polishing off rough edges in the overall gesture expectations, but MS is off to a good start and Android should be worried about being the also-ran in the tablet space.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Sport73 wrote:I'm running it via VMWare on my MacBook Air, and despite being the Apple fanboy, I'm very impressed. Microsoft is innovating rather than copying Apple, and has a chance to retain/reclaim their OS dominance thanks to an attractive, fun to use, and innovative UX that suggests a single interface model can work from phone to tablet to desktop.

A lot hinges on developer support, MS execution, and polishing off rough edges in the overall gesture expectations, but MS is off to a good start and Android should be worried about being the also-ran in the tablet space.
It's funny. I was listening to some podcast the other day and they made a good point. Android doesn't necessarily care if they are a dominant player in the tablet space. Their business won't live and die with the tablet. Microsoft and Apple need their tablets to be successful to sustain their businesses (Microsoft especially) so I don't think it is that big of a deal.

What's unfortunate for android is that it took them so long to get to this point on their tablet operating system with the slow ass rollout of ice cream sandwich. Played with the quad core transformer prime today w ics and it's soooooo much better than any of the honeycomb based tablets. The slow adoption of manufactures to get the OS to the hardware on the market is their main issue now. If people used ics as their first into to an android tablet then they'd be a lot more satisfied with the experience. It just shows me that the tablet market is not at the top of googles list.

Very interested to find a tablet that I can actually be productive on. Android and OS5 just don't cut it when it comes to work stuff. We will see I guess. I always am down for a new operating system to shake up the market.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'll jump on board when they release the retail product. DB any word if ICS is coming to my Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1? I've searched and all I could come up with is NO, YES or maybe, depending who's article you read. ;)

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

It's too bad MS killed off the courier. That was exactly what I need.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

This comes out in 2 weeks. I think I am going to upgrade, just to shake things up basically. Figures my office computer will finally be upgraded to Windows 7 at the same time I switch off it at home. :lol:

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Naples39 wrote:This comes out in 2 weeks. I think I am going to upgrade, just to shake things up basically. Figures my office computer will finally be upgraded to Windows 7 at the same time I switch off it at home. :lol:
I'll be upgrading my desktop when it arrives.

I'm interested to see how Surface debuts.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Anyone upgrade yet? I ran the compatibility utility and my Pc is pretty much ready. Only like one of my programs isn't compatible. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet. Any impressions?
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Played with it at the store...it's horrific. Windows ME all over again as far as I'm concerned. Windows 7 was/is fantastic, so I'll stick with that for a while.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I think I'm going to wait on it for now. Most of the reviews have been favorable. I like that MS is trying to make a change. Time will tell if its worth it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I tried in store at an Office Depot and I actually liked it. I thought I was going to utterly hate and thought the OS design was pretty cool. I an upgrade license for $15 so i'll drop it on one of my laptops and mess with it.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I installed it this weekend. $40 for an upgrade from win 7 home to windows 8 pro was too good a deal.

It's a bit disorienting, but the windows 7 desktop is still there. Sometimes it almost feels like you are running two operating systems at the same time, switching between metro and classic desktop. Fortunately you switch back and forth basically instantly. Until more apps get the 'metro' treatment, my computer will generally sit at the windows 7 desktop and it will be like nothing changed.

I also installed a tweak to get the start button back on the windows 7 desktop, which is removed by default.

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

I've read conflicting reports that the $40 upgrade replaces your Windows 7 installation and can't be installed as a dual boot and some say it can, installing it as a dual boot is the only way I would have interest in it.
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

vader29 wrote:I've read conflicting reports that the $40 upgrade replaces your Windows 7 installation and can't be installed as a dual boot and some say it can, installing it as a dual boot is the only way I would have interest in it.
I don't think it can be installed as a dual-boot, though I didn't look. Personally though, I don't see why would you need dual boot. If you run that upgrade all your apps stay, and can be run from the windows 7 desktop environment like nothing changed.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You can always do a fresh install with an upgrade disc (or file)...just takes a little registry work. :) Google it.

Or at least you could with Windows 7 and prior.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:You can always do a fresh install with an upgrade disc (or file)...just takes a little registry work. :) Google it.

The $40 price is for download only, and runs through an update assistant. I presume that severely limits your ability to pull tricks.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Naples39 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:You can always do a fresh install with an upgrade disc (or file)...just takes a little registry work. :) Google it.

The $40 price is for download only, and runs through an update assistant. I presume that severely limits your ability to pull tricks.
Severely limiting and preventing are two different phrases entirely. :) There always are ways around preventive measures.

AND BTW...I recommend NEVER upgrading software. Clean installs are ALWAYS better, especially when it comes to full OS installs. That's just fact.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Naples39 wrote:

Severely limiting and preventing are two different phrases entirely. :) There always are ways around preventive measures.

AND BTW...I recommend NEVER upgrading software. Clean installs are ALWAYS better, especially when it comes to full OS installs. That's just fact.
Yeah, I usually do clean installs too. I actually wipe my computer and reinstall the OS fresh every year or so, and I'm not sure I'll be able to do this with my $40 purchase...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Here is a nice little Windows 8 primer from the Verge.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/10/28/3562 ... w-to-guide
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

FatPitcher
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FatPitcher »

I'm loving Windows 8, personally. It's fast, stable, and looks pretty sharp. No more clutter of desktop icons and no tedious navigation of the Start menu. Win-Q, start typing in what I want to find, and it pops up instantly - much quicker than the Win 7 search, and it's specific to Apps, Settings (win-W) and files (win-F). If you like to get where you're going quick using keyboard shortcuts, it's fantastic.

I dislike the Metro internet explorer and use Chrome or desktop version of IE.

I think the Store interface is pretty cluttered, could definitely use better organization. Also better apps, only a few really useful ones so far.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Well, I went and upgraded to Windows 8 (was bored) and I really like it so far. It's going to take some getting used to but I'm impressed.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

FatPitcher wrote:I'm loving Windows 8, personally. It's fast, stable, and looks pretty sharp. No more clutter of desktop icons and no tedious navigation of the Start menu. Win-Q, start typing in what I want to find, and it pops up instantly - much quicker than the Win 7 search, and it's specific to Apps, Settings (win-W) and files (win-F). If you like to get where you're going quick using keyboard shortcuts, it's fantastic.

I think the Store interface is pretty cluttered, could definitely use better organization. Also better apps, only a few really useful ones so far.
I agree that a cluttered desktop is an outdated design. I'm looking forward to scrapping it, but my most used apps like Chrome don't support metro, so every time I use it, it sends me back to the desktop. Unless I am missing something?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Naples39 wrote:
FatPitcher wrote:I'm loving Windows 8, personally. It's fast, stable, and looks pretty sharp. No more clutter of desktop icons and no tedious navigation of the Start menu. Win-Q, start typing in what I want to find, and it pops up instantly - much quicker than the Win 7 search, and it's specific to Apps, Settings (win-W) and files (win-F). If you like to get where you're going quick using keyboard shortcuts, it's fantastic.

I agree that a cluttered desktop is an outdated design. I'm looking forward to scrapping it, but my most used apps like Chrome don't support metro, so every time I use it, it sends me back to the desktop. Unless I am missing something?
Nope, you aren't missing anything.

I couldn't figure out how to close apps at first but then I read you just "grab" the top of the app and drag down - boom. :)
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Anyone know if I can buy the Windows 8 Pro download and install it on my Macbook Pro VMWare that only has the Win8 Release Preview on it?

I have a license key for an old Windows XP install if needed, and I'm happy to do a clean install. Just not sure if I will be able to meet the licensing check since MS is so damn greedy about protecting the OS install.

Thanks,
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"