MLB 2012 Season

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2012 Season

Post by greggsand »

Chipper (despite wearing a d*****-y Affliction shirt in the presser) was right: the braves lost due to errors. That fly rule play just left a bad taste for everyone.

The cards chanting "infield fly" is funny. I think it shows they know they got away with one & is a dig at the umps. At least they acknowledge it. More spicy would be a "uggla" chant or something.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

sportdan30 wrote:Boggs was pitching, not Motte during the infield fly escapade.
Motte came in to pitch after the debris was up, so it would have been him making the appeal.

But I was wrong, as you only have to tag up on a caught pop-up. I was under the misunderstanding that you had to tag up if the ball hit the ground, too.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Horrible call, Braves definitely got screwed and I would have been pissed off.

Could have changed the game for sure.

I don't have confidence we can beat the Nationals, even without Strasburg, but you never know with the Cardinals.

GO ORIOLES!!! So happy for them!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Great win by the Cards today. Needed some of those hits in game one. Way to bounce back! Will only be able to see about half the game on Wednesday due to a 12 o'clock start.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I feel good about the Cards going up 2-1 with Carp on the mound. Doubly so with Beltran now on a roll.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Bad loss by my beloved Nats/Expos...... I think whoever wins the next one, takes the series. Not for the obvious 2-1 lead in a best of 5, but because the Nats only have 4 guys with post season experience..... I think the kids could be fragile.
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:I feel good about the Cards going up 2-1 with Carp on the mound. Doubly so with Beltran now on a roll.
Beltran on a roll in the post season is awfully repetitive. Dude always brings it once the calendar hits October. He just murders the Braves.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well pitched game by Carp! Glad to see him back on the mound. Good to see the offense keep rolling.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Cardinals just come to life during the playoffs. How about that Rosenthal?

Very impressed so far with this team.

TheGamer
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by TheGamer »

How did St.Louis end up with the first two games of this series at home? Even though the Nats get the last 3 at home if needed, I think they are getting jobbed not being able to get those first two games at home. Yeah I hate St. Louis, but winning the division and having to go to the wild card teams city to start the series is just wrong.
XBL gamertag:SecondACR Vet
PSN: BHoward1
http://community.2ksports.com/community ... id=1010465
http://twitter.com/ BradHowardSr

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

TheGamer wrote:How did St.Louis end up with the first two games of this series at home? Even though the Nats get the last 3 at home if needed, I think they are getting jobbed not being able to get those first two games at home. Yeah I hate St. Louis, but winning the division and having to go to the wild card teams city to start the series is just wrong.
Well, they got jobbed just like Cincinnati, Oakland, and New York.

The one game wildcard required them to eliminate a travel day in the first round. So instead of 2-2-1, it had to be 2-3 or 3-2. In this scenario, 2-3 is better than 3-2.

And seriously, they split in St. Louis, which gave them a HUGE advantage in the series. Even now, down 2-1, they get to try to come back by winning at home. If they lose tomorrow, what's the difference if they had lost two at home start? If they win, it's just like the split at each stadium, and get to play the clincher at home.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:And seriously, they split in St. Louis, which gave them a HUGE advantage in the series. Even now, down 2-1, they get to try to come back by winning at home. If they lose tomorrow, what's the difference if they had lost two at home start? If they win, it's just like the split at each stadium, and get to play the clincher at home.
Are you seriously trying to justify MLB's decision? That's just terrible. Yes, given the circumstances RIGHT NOW, Washington has an advantage, but before the series started, absolutely not. It's a stupid "new" system and needs to be tweaked next year, even if they don't eliminate the one game play-in for the wild cards.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Aristo wrote:And seriously, they split in St. Louis, which gave them a HUGE advantage in the series. Even now, down 2-1, they get to try to come back by winning at home. If they lose tomorrow, what's the difference if they had lost two at home start? If they win, it's just like the split at each stadium, and get to play the clincher at home.
Are you seriously trying to justify MLB's decision? That's just terrible. Yes, given the circumstances RIGHT NOW, Washington has an advantage, but before the series started, absolutely not. It's a stupid "new" system and needs to be tweaked next year, even if they don't eliminate the one game play-in for the wild cards.
Justify? No. I said 2-2-1 is better.

But it's fun to cry about the new system when teams you like lose and teams you hate win. Maybe we should put an asterisk next to the WS winner this year?

No one cried when Oakland got swept in Detroit. And no is crying for the Yankees. But dammit, Washington got screwed! :roll:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Justify? No. I said 2-2-1 is better.

But it's fun to cry about the new system when teams you like lose and teams you hate win. Maybe we should put an asterisk next to the WS winner this year?

No one cried when Oakland got swept in Detroit. And no is crying for the Yankees. But dammit, Washington got screwed! :roll:
Umm...go back a page or two, I'd rather have St. Louis beat Washington. I HATE Washington, so yeah, you're theory is incorrect. And who's crying anyway? The Braves, had they won, would have had the advantage and I still would call it stupid. This whole playoff system is stupid as far as I'm concerned, and I said that PRIOR to them even playing a game...so, yeah. Good call.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

2-2-1 would make much more sense. But I also see where Aristo is coming from. I don't think home field advantage is as big a factor in baseball as it is in other sports....but just my opinion.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

The division winners would probably want the extra game for the revenues.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I believe it goes back to the normal default 2-2-1 next season and beyond, they did it this year for time constraints or something.
Baseball could revert back to a 2-2-1 format in 2013, when the regular season is tentatively set to start on April 1, with a Sunday night game possible the previous day.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the 2-3 layout. You win 1 of 2 on the road and then you have the last 3 at home.

It also makes teams use their pitching staff more. I always hated seeing a team with 2 good pitchers sneak in to the playoffs and then get to pitch them due to all the days off.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Poor Jim Johnson!

F'n Yankees! Would love a Cards/Yanks match up though.

A-Rod gets pinch hit for....heheh....how many more years on that contract? :lol:
Last edited by sportdan30 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

How about those A's?

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

As a tigers fan I hide under the couch when the ball gets handed to Valverde.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

MizzouRah wrote:How about those A's?
been following baseball, from 1982. What the Oakland Athletics have done this year, is #1 unbelievable achievement have ever witnessed. Trading their top 2 starting pitchers in the off-season. Then trading their all-star reliever/closer in the off-season. Then when the regular season initiates, they lose their #1 to inury and their #2 to steroids (Colon). None of it matters. They win the division with 5 rookies in their starting rotation. And basically 5 rookies in their starting lineup!@!.

most unbelievable feat, ever seen in major league baseball.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I'm rooting for the A's to get to the World Series just so the Raiders have to keep playing on dirt.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

greggsand wrote:I'm rooting for the A's to get to the World Series just so the Raiders have to keep playing on dirt.
lol.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The home teams are now 1-7 in the NLCS. The Cards are hoping to make it 1-8 today.