MLB 2k12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

MLB 2k12

Post by FifaInspected »

Anyone else find the lack of information about this game a bit odd?

I know you can buy the bundle of MLB and NBA for $69.00....
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2k12

Post by pigpen81 »

I've been checking for info daily and am now so put off I will probably skip it until a decent sale.

Don't have time/energy to game right now anyway except for a quick 18 holes on TW Wii every few days. :(

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I've seen a bunch of screen shots, a trailer, and a fact sheet posted over at OS and at Pastapadre.com.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I won't get it unless the reviews/impressions are good. Already have MLB 12 The Show preordered.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I think i'm going to skip it this year anyway. Too many years of 2K baseball for me, need a break.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I'm going with The Show, but found the lack info / buzz interesting.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I'd say it is 50/50 as to whether we see an MLB2K13. It really depends on stuff we don't know.

I have no idea how much more 2K's license costs them than SCEA's, so I don't know if they can profit with a cheaper deal. 2K11's sales on the 360 and PS3 was not far off of Sony's sales of MLB 12 on the PS3. But I suspect Sony has been willing to lose money on The Show all along, as it not only sells PS3s to baseball fans, but it looks so amazing it sells PS3s to folks that won't even be buying the game.

2K can only justify selling a baseball game if the game itself is profitable, and baseball games don't sell. At the same time, I fully expect EA to jump back into the market even though they face the same dilema. Peter Moore will want baseball as part of his line-up, even if it is mostly to market EA Sports as a brand. So 2K has to consider this, as well.

That said, 2K11 was a good fun game with too many bugs, and graphics and animations that fall far short of their competition. But the gameplay was there, and 2K12 is a day one purchase for me if all they do is address bugs and glitches. Getting NBA 2K12 for $10 is a nice bonus. It will skew the sales numbers, and possibly make the baseball game look more successful than it really is. That might be a move to help promote the game next year, in their first year with a competitive economic model. Or it may just be there to bump up sales of a lagging NBA 2K12.

Personally, I think it looks like 2K12 is going to be tighter version of 2K11. The added features are bare minimum enhancements of systems already in place. I'd like to think it is the game they wish they sold last year, but ran out of time to develop. In other words, Sony has nothing to worry about yet.

I'm actually looking forward to what will come the following year. I hope EA gets back in, and 2K continues to develop their game. I'm not holding my breath, as we may go a year withut a proper MLB game on the 360. I'm not convinced EA will be ready for next year. At least, I've not seen anything to indicate they are working on a game yet.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Aristo wrote:I'd say it is 50/50 as to whether we see an MLB2K13. It really depends on stuff we don't know.

I have no idea how much more 2K's license costs them than SCEA's
I don't believe Sony paid for any License. I think the MLB agreement was ANY first party developer (Sony, MS or Nintendo) can make an MLB game. 3rd party developers are a no no....ie. EA.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

I've been a huge "Show" fan,and will be again, with that said I've been playing the sh!t out of the pc version,with all the stadium mods,etc. and switched to "classic" (i.e. button) mode with ckmarsh's sliders over at OS. I'll get the pc version once again as a compliment with the "Show",as it might be the last pc nontext playing baseball title we see.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Diablo25 wrote:
Aristo wrote:I'd say it is 50/50 as to whether we see an MLB2K13. It really depends on stuff we don't know.

I have no idea how much more 2K's license costs them than SCEA's
I don't believe Sony paid for any License. I think the MLB agreement was ANY first party developer (Sony, MS or Nintendo) can make an MLB game. 3rd party developers are a no no....ie. EA.
You have to pay to use MLB properties and the likenesses of players. 2K paid extra to for an exclusive deal. they would have had to pay even more if they wanted to exclude 1st parties like EA did with football. But 2K was acting out of emotion, and really just trying to screw EA after they lost the NFL 2K series.

But baseball is not football. It's pretty weak as videogame license. 2K never recouped their fees, and their weak contract gave SCEA the room to dominate.

But SCEA pays something to both MLB and the MLBPA.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Just getting a sense that we're seeing the death rattles of this series now.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

According to VGChartz 2k11 sold 500,000 units between the PS3 and 360. If you include all formats (wii, ps2, psp, ds, pc) 2K11 sold 830,000 units. The Show 11 sold 470,000 units for the PS3 alone. It will be interesting to see the numbers for this year, with the Vita being added and the bundle of NBA and MLB.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

That just underscores how baseball games will never be a system seller to anyone but guys like us. If 2K signs this license again they would be insane.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Kotaku had a good story on this issue last Saturday.

Having Made This Bed, Will MLB 2K Lie In It Next Year?
"I think that they are done with baseball, unless MLB is willing to take
sharply reduced terms," said Michael Pachter, the noted games industry analyst for Wedbush Securities. "The last deal cost Take-Two $30 million a year in losses, and they can't renew it without a $30 million reduction in royalty—even then they would just break even."
Consider this: At no time last year, not even in its launch week, was MLB 2K11 on Xbox Live's weekly top 20 list of games played. I'm not sure I've ever seen any edition of the game on that list, to be honest. So what? Well, consider every other simulation sports title shows up there at some point, and many usually appear there all year long. In the middle of July, with MLB and the MLS the only major professional team sports in season, FIFA 11, NBA 2K11, Madden NFL 11 and NHL 11 all made the top 20.

This isn't just online multiplayer—this is connected users playing any mode of the game. Also, remember this is the only baseball game on the Xbox 360, so it's not like there's a fragmenting of the audience across two or more titles. The Major League Baseball audience on the Xbox 360 is now literally smaller than the National Hockey League's in the middle of the summer. That will come into the discussion when MLB opens the bidding on its next Xbox 360 license.

Furthermore, anyone picking up that license has an absolutely Sisyphean task awaiting them in the PlayStation 3 market. MLB 2K's repeated shortcomings, and frankly, its poorer visual quality by comparison, have helped make MLB The Show into a striking rarity: a sports video game capable of selling a console. A diehard baseball fan without a PlayStation 3 has had only one satisfactory option: buy one. Those with a PS3 are extremely unlikely ever to move.

Only in name would an exclusive third-party license, which MLB is said to want again, involve the PlayStation 3. I'm not even sure nostalgia for EA Sports' MVP brand, goodwill built on a previous console generation, could make much of a dent in the dominance Sony's MLB The Show exerts over that platform. That will definitely factor into the risk a publisher is willing to take and the amount it's willing to pay. And that's assuming there's any label other than EA Sports who is ready to take over and ship a product by next March.
Despite how dour that sunds, the article does point out that 2K has created some interesting tools for creating this game, and has plans for 2K13. But plans and money are two different things.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

I so wish this was coming out on 3DS. It's criminal that that system has no MLB game.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I'm rooting for EA to get back into the baseball arena. MVP was a solid game before the BS licensing deals went down. I'd LOVE to see what they would come out with on the 360. I've tried 2K every year and it just seems to fall short every time. MVP had/still has a loyal following and I'm sure EA could do better than 2K.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Diablo25 wrote:I'm rooting for EA to get back into the baseball arena. MVP was a solid game before the BS licensing deals went down. I'd LOVE to see what they would come out with on the 360. I've tried 2K every year and it just seems to fall short every time. MVP had/still has a loyal following and I'm sure EA could do better than 2K.
As long as they don't do an exclusive deal that shuts out SCEA and the "Show". It would be just like EA to shut everyone out.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I don't think anyone will pay for a baseball exclusive. Like these articles point out, it's not worth it.

It's also a tough battle against The Show. That's the first franchise since NFL 2k that I would consider a system seller.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Brando70 wrote:I don't think anyone will pay for a baseball exclusive. Like these articles point out, it's not worth it.

It's also a tough battle against The Show. That's the first franchise since NFL 2k that I would consider a system seller.
And that's the crux of it. EA and 2K have to make money on the game. Sony can consider part of The Show's cost as marketing the PS3 and PSP. People wonder why no one can match The Show, and that's why.

You know what we really need is for Microsoft to finally resurrect the High Heat series they own. But at this point, how long would it take to catch up? Until they do, it would just be a glaring example of where the PS3 might be better than the 360.

My guess is that Peter Moore is going to consider resurrecting the MVP series as an important part of the EA Sports brand. While it would not surprise me if they even went so far as to go exclusive to choke SCEA out, I imagine they will be willing to go head-to-head.

And don't forget this bit of news:
MLB: The Show dev leaves to become creative director on Madden

Yeah, he's working on Madden! :wink:

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I can't see High Heat coming back on consoles. It appeals to a purist who is basically looking for a baseball sim that allows some interaction from the user. It didn't do well when it was leaps and bounds ahead of any baseball game in existence, and now it would be hard pressed to top The Show in combining realism, playability, and graphics.

The MLB and NBA gaming markets are kind of a monopoly of excellence. There is room for improvement with The Show and NBA 2k, but they are about as good as sports games get. Spending the amount of resources it takes to make a modern sports game is probably not worth it when the bar is already set so high.

JRod
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JRod »

High Heat. 8O

I still wish Links was being made. Still a better overall golf game than Tiger.

Anyway, you know the direction MLB 2k should have taken the same direction NBA 2k took with it's classic focus.

Baseball is just as much about the history, maybe even more so. This could have tipped the battle to their side but MLB 2k, for years, always seemed to be a mediocre effort.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Good point. MLB 2K8 had a great card game component, where you unlocked cards during play which you could then use to create a team to play with online. If they had expanded on that to create and Ultimate team mode, they might have made enough cash to really compete. I may have issues with EA's Ultimate Team modes, but everything I have read indicates that they print money.

2K does have two classic All-Star teams, but it is pretty much a throw away mode. I would buy All-Star Baseball 2K12 that functions similar to the APFB 2K8 game. Baseball is a much better sport for this kind of nostalgia and team building.

As it is, EA will probably use Ultimate Team to drive extra revenue for its eventual resurrection of the MVP series. That is revenue 2K just left on the table.

I wonder what it acronym will be since MUT, FUT, and HUT are all taken. Would they really do BUT?

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I saw that you can get HH 04 for XB BC for a dollar at GS.

I may want to play that instead. I dont know if there is an xb community that does rosters, but I'd still be fine w/ 04 rosters since that game played so well.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Ah, High Heat...the good old days. That game was so good. I bought it and Half Life when i got my firs PC back in the day. The anticipation for it every year for about 3 years was untouched. I was obsessed with it. Damn, I miss it.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!