MLB 2k12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 2k12

Post by Diablo25 »

backbreaker wrote:Pasta Padre Not impressed so far of this years iteration of the game. Funny HR scene and what is up with the graphics damn 2012 and this looks like 2006 no exaggeration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chdYgVWygas
Yep, the game has been painfully mediocre for years. The only thing I find remotely appealing is the pitching interface and the way the hitting camera DOESN'T cut to another camera after contact...ie. after contact the hitting camera zooms back and up ala High Heat. I'd love to see that in The Show. Who knows, maybe it is this year.

Again, I sincerely hope EA brings back the MVP series so the 360 has a solid baseball game.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I'm debating on getting this for the 360, or PC. PC is cheaper, and probably has sharper graphics, but can someone with 2k11 on PC tell me if 2k keeps the rosters up to date, and did patches for the PC?

From what i read on OS, NBA2k12 still hasn't gotten a PC patch while the consoles have had 2 or 3.....
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Is there any kinect integration with MLB 2k12? I see the show has move integration.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I miss triple play actually.. :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

MizzouRah wrote:I miss triple play actually.. :)
Triple Play, MVP, whatever they want to call it, I'd be happy. In fact, I bet they would go with a new name to start fresh.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Diablo25 wrote:
Triple Play, MVP, whatever they want to call it, I'd be happy. In fact, I bet they would go with a new name to start fresh.
I think EA goes with MVP, as it still has a positive name in the community. Triple Play was generally thought of as pretty bad. It's why they switched names. It was the same thing as EA going to Elite for their NBA series. But that failed miserably.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I have fond memories of Triple Play! Between Triple Play and March Madness (EA's b-ball game), I was in gaming heaven once upon a time.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

sportdan30 wrote:
I have fond memories of Triple Play! Between Triple Play and March Madness (EA's b-ball game), I was in gaming heaven once upon a time.
Me too.. I liked MVP, but it wasn't as good as the High High series imo.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I am on the opposite side of the fence - not a PS3 owner so The Show is not an option. But I really like the batter - pitcher interface and I like the fielding in this game and I also see some promising improvements in the demo. And since for the second year in a row I have long since stopped playing the football games and never did get a basketball game, this is the only sports game in town besides hockey.

Has EA even announced that they are going to make a baseball game next year? I am not sure that the financial numbers are there for it to be a sure thing - for a company that has not even made a basketball game for the past few years. They may not be interested in the investment of getting back into the sport.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

kevinpars wrote:I am on the opposite side of the fence - not a PS3 owner so The Show is not an option. But I really like the batter - pitcher interface and I like the fielding in this game and I also see some promising improvements in the demo. And since for the second year in a row I have long since stopped playing the football games and never did get a basketball game, this is the only sports game in town besides hockey.

Has EA even announced that they are going to make a baseball game next year? I am not sure that the financial numbers are there for it to be a sure thing - for a company that has not even made a basketball game for the past few years. They may not be interested in the investment of getting back into the sport.

MVP Baseball 05 sold just under 2 million copies between PS2, XB and Game Cube.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

orthostud23
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by orthostud23 »

MLB 2k12 demo seemed a little more polished than last years game. Pitching/batter interface is where the moneys at!! I noticed a few different hit animations in the demo which was nice. Players still dont seem to "run" fluidly IMO.

I will be getting this game on the PC since its going on Amazon for $26.99 and I have $5 off from getting NBA 2k12 for $9.99. 2 games for $30 is a steal im my eyes.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

Gangrel wrote:I'm debating on getting this for the 360, or PC. PC is cheaper, and probably has sharper graphics, but can someone with 2k11 on PC tell me if 2k keeps the rosters up to date, and did patches for the PC?

From what i read on OS, NBA2k12 still hasn't gotten a PC patch while the consoles have had 2 or 3.....

From what I remember hearing about last years game, the PC versions are usually newer builds of the game, as the process to get console games approved takes much longer. I do know that 2K11 had at least one patch to it, and all of the online things such as rosters were kept up to date just like their console counterparts.

I'll be snagging it on PC this year myself.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

kevinpars wrote:I am on the opposite side of the fence - not a PS3 owner so The Show is not an option. But I really like the batter - pitcher interface and I like the fielding in this game and I also see some promising improvements in the demo. And since for the second year in a row I have long since stopped playing the football games and never did get a basketball game, this is the only sports game in town besides hockey.

I'm with you. I played 2K11 into February, only stopping with release of the 2K12 demo and impending release of the full game. I ended up spending far less time with NCAA 12 and NHL 12, and MLB 2K11 was my sports game of choice for the year. I absolutely love the pitcher/batter duels, as well as how intuitive all of the controls are. It's the first game in which I fel like I have strong control over all of my baserunners. And fielding has progressed really well from 2K10.

It's not that pretty to look at, especially when you know the other game is out there. But as someone that lamented the move to 3D that ruined so many sports games for years while they tried re-balance gameplay, I appreciate the emphasis on mechanics. VC had a rough go of it when they took over for Kush, and they have let some serious bugs make it to release each year. But it has still just been a fantastic game to sit down and play, detractors be damned.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

And for those getting it on PC, it is available as a pre-order from Amazon as a PC download. It costs $27, and will unlock for downloading at midnight tonight. Says its about 9GB. I already bought it and will fire up the download tonight!
2319!

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The only way I buy this game is if it runs on my MacBook air at a decent clip. Not holding my breath...tho I was able to play some Tiger Woods Online on it...so there's hope, even if the graphics end up looking like they are from 1999 when I turn off all the eye candy.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:First impressions are good. Yikes:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2012/03/05/ml ... mpressions
I'm taling his impressions with a gigantic gran of salt. I watched his gameplay videos, and I don't know how sport game blogger can be so bad at a playing this game. The basic mechanics have been the sam for years, but he played several games like he had no idea how it works. It was bizarre, really.

So he says that the game left his PH in to pitch, even after switching. That's bad. Really, really bad. But I also saw him fumble around and fail to sit both relievers down that he had warming up at the end of an inning. I mean, he clicked on them, and it asked, but he hit the wrong button. One sat, but the other he just left up. It was bizzarre.

He seemed to swing or take a pitch at random. He had no rhyme or reason to location or pitch type. that's all fine, but it's hard to take him serious when he says it is more stable and solid, but also more boring this year.

To be fair, DB, I doubt this game is going to do a thing for you. Especially if they have not nailed down AI use of their bullpen like they claim. But if that animation of Zambrano is a big deal, then this game is probably going to drive you nuts. 2K has some terrible animations like that. I usually just hit A and move forward. But if someone is coing from The Show, they will want to soak in all of the little stuff (that I don't think means squat). that makes stuff like that a dealbreaker.

Other than that, his gameplay videos made it look pretty good. Well, other than his stuttering around in the OF crap. It doesn't take that long to get a feel for the OF, and it works really well. And slight tweaks to the fielder speed will move the OF more before the CPU lets go. But you get a feel for how it works after just a few touches. I seriously thought he was trying to sandbag in order to make diving catches (and he did make a nice one with Rasmus).

If 2K sent him a game, they were idiots. And well, from their employ of Ronnie and their general marketing strategy, they are. If they had given Owen Good at Kotaku a copy, he has been critical of the game, but much more competent in his impressions.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I don't take any impressions all that seriously until I play it myself. Lets just say he went easy on the animations even when he blasted them. They are horrendous for a 2012 game...at least in the demo I played. I'll rent the game of course...I'm a baseball fiend...and I'll play the crap out of it for a few days and I'm sure I'll be thoroughly disgusted. There's something to be said for REALLY low expectations.

I'll steal someone else's phrase when it comes to the pitching that 2K guys love so much...I'd rather not play a game of missile command when I'm playing baseball. :) The game that is trying to immerse you in the game is completely destroying it by putting all of those targets and crazy graphics all over the place. I'd much rather go w/ Sony's approach. Turn off all indicators and the strike zone and go sick w/ classic pitching. That's how it SHOULD be done.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I agree that 2K gets carried away in the meters and flashing BS on the screen.

I do like the strike zone n 2K, when I never did in any other game. Pitching, you can run the sliders off enough that pinpoint aim is okay. You have to nail the gesture, and slight misses affects location. I go back and forth on if I want the hot and cold boxes up, though. Cleaner is better, but not having to look at the scouting report every at-bat is nice. But at least that can be turned off or on.

Hitting, I'd MUCH prefer to leave the strike zone off, but you lose the batter's eye hints when you do. This does a fantastic job of differentiating how hitting with Pujols is versus hitting with Jon Jay. Basically, it is giving a skill to better hitters, which is their ability to guess well. And sliders can adjust how much it affects any hitter.

But I can live with the simple circle meter for pitching, but it would be nice if nailing the timing didn't result in an explosion of color. But gameplay wise, the stuff all just works so well. It just looks like ass.

And I agree, his impressions mean very little to me, because tomorrow I will be playing it myself. But he actually blames the game for throwing to the wrong base. He just sucks. I've played the demo, and the last few years' versions. Throwing to the right base is not hard.

But hey, my impressions will be written off as too lenient, I'm sure. It's all a wash.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I turn off the strike zone, as I do in all baseball games, but I love the 2K pitching interface. The whole pitcher/batter duel just feels better to me than it does in The Show. And whats wrong with having to learn how to make a pitch? Why should pitching be more stat based yet batting be more skill based? (As crappy as I am at batting it should be the opposite!) I enjoyed the pitching interface of The Show last year more than any other, when using the stick, yet you still did the same motion for each pitch. I kind of like having to do a different motion to throw a different pitch. Much better to me than using the same motion to make a pitch as I do to play Tiger Woods Golf.

And I know I'm getting old, because the animations don't bother me one bit. Hell, I remember when a guys face was just a solid block. Whatever the problems are I either don't see them or they don't bother me.

Both games play a great game of ball, no doubt about it. Yet my ratio of playing the last couple of years (and yes I've bought both editions at launch for the past two years) has been probably 20% The Show and 80% 2K.
2319!

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The only thing I woud add is that 2K has let some real gameplay killing bugs make their way into the product year after year. Last year it was the broken fatigue that was only fixed in season play, and not playoff mode. And then they broke check swings with another patch.

2K10 had no errors in the game, which couldn't be patched in because they never did animations for them. 2K9 was just a mess of bugs and 2K8 released nearly unplayable with frame rate issues.

So 2K does make it really hard to root for or support them.

So far, impressions at OS are solid. It won't win a beauty contest, but folks are enjoying it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Gurantsu wrote:I turn off the strike zone, as I do in all baseball games, but I love the 2K pitching interface. The whole pitcher/batter duel just feels better to me than it does in The Show. And whats wrong with having to learn how to make a pitch? Why should pitching be more stat based yet batting be more skill based? (As crappy as I am at batting it should be the opposite!) I enjoyed the pitching interface of The Show last year more than any other, when using the stick, yet you still did the same motion for each pitch. I kind of like having to do a different motion to throw a different pitch. Much better to me than using the same motion to make a pitch as I do to play Tiger Woods Golf.

And I know I'm getting old, because the animations don't bother me one bit. Hell, I remember when a guys face was just a solid block. Whatever the problems are I either don't see them or they don't bother me.
I'm with you.. classic pitching is mega boring. I want to control all aspects of pitching, which 2k does so well. I hope MLB 12's pulse pitching is good, I'm counting on it. Baseball is boring enough on a console, so I hope The Show has similar pitching/hitting/fielding as 2k does. I also like how 2k's game gets right to the point.. I would imagine you could finish a game much quicker than in The Show, but this is my first year getting The Show day 1 over MLB 2k.

I'll pick up MLB 2k at some point I'm sure of it.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I hope I can find the PC version in a store here in Ottawa....... doesn't look like it's out on any download site I can access, as Amazon won't let us canucks download from the .com store, and the canadian site doesn't have downloadable games!
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I had some reward zone certificates I needed to use, so I'm getting MLB 2k12 as well. I always forget to check on those.. picked it up for around $35 total with ground shipping.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

MizzouRah wrote:
Gurantsu wrote:I turn off the strike zone, as I do in all baseball games, but I love the 2K pitching interface. The whole pitcher/batter duel just feels better to me than it does in The Show. And whats wrong with having to learn how to make a pitch? Why should pitching be more stat based yet batting be more skill based? (As crappy as I am at batting it should be the opposite!) I enjoyed the pitching interface of The Show last year more than any other, when using the stick, yet you still did the same motion for each pitch. I kind of like having to do a different motion to throw a different pitch. Much better to me than using the same motion to make a pitch as I do to play Tiger Woods Golf.

I'm with you.. classic pitching is mega boring. I want to control all aspects of pitching, which 2k does so well. I hope MLB 12's pulse pitching is good, I'm counting on it. Baseball is boring enough on a console, so I hope The Show has similar pitching/hitting/fielding as 2k does. I also like how 2k's game gets right to the point.. I would imagine you could finish a game much quicker than in The Show, but this is my first year getting The Show day 1 over MLB 2k.

I'll pick up MLB 2k at some point I'm sure of it.

You can knock out a game of The Show in like 25 minutes if you use fast play.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected