OT: Prostate Cancer

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Prostate Cancer

Post by DivotMaker »

Thought I would start a new thread so that the Xbox One/PS4 thread could get back on topic.

Thank you ALL for the kind thoughts fellas......kinda feel like a Cumbaya moment or a group hug......I did find out today I also have cancer in my spine and T-7 vertebra and the pathologists are trying to find out if it is from the prostate, the melanoma I had removed from my back 2 years ago, or a new malignant growth area. The good news is that this is all being caught really early. I know way more about cancer than I ever wanted to know, trust me. If I could give back to each of you something that I learned is to get a physical exam at least yearly and stay on top of your PSA levels. My PSA in July of 2013 was 1.3. In January of this year, it had increased to 3.1 so I went for a full physical and by that time it had elevated to 4.0 which is the threshold for going to see a urologist. The urologist gave me the option after the digital rectal exam that showed everything normal to get a biopsy on the prostate to see for sure or wait 3-6 months. I chose the biopsy and that was not fun under local anesthetic. If your insurance will allow you to get this done under anesthesia, do so. It is unpleasant. Thank God my urologist recommended a CT and bone scan to see if the cancer had spread. The bone scan showed hot spots on my spine and left rib cage. So after haggling with my insurance company for a month, they finally approved an MRI of my upper body and the MRI clearly showed a mass growing in the T-7 thoracic vertebra area. It was at this time my sister got me in to MD Anderson due to contacts she has with members of the MDA Board of Directors.

After meeting with 4 of MD Anderson's finest doctors in their Genitourinary Cancer wing, my wife and I knew we were in the right place and they suggested a biopsy on the mass on the spine. The biopsy I had on the 18th of August has now confirmed additional cancer. This is another procedure that is not fun at all. Having a 20 gauge, 4 inch needle injected into your back and ultimatly taking samples of the bone area on the vertebra is painful and when they hit the bone with the needle it felt like I was hit with a 220 volt charge of electricity.

Again, please do not take your health for granted....get that yearly physical and at least yearly PSA reading on your blood. Once you get to 50, get a rectal exam and PSA reading yearly. It does not sound like fun, but it COULD save your life. Don't let cancer get a foothold in your body. The saying is that if you are male and live long enough, it is not IF you will get prostate cancer, it is WHEN. I go in next Thursday to discuss treatment options (surgery/radiation) some interesting alternative medicine options that I am currently on and I am a candidate for a current clinical trial that is showing great promise. Also heard of a new FDA-approved procedure using MRI and lasers to destroy cancer cells with pinpoint accuracy therefore rendering full prostate removal by surgery and radiation treatment.

Probably way more than any of you wanted to know about this, but if this thread helps just one of you to not have to go through what I am going through physically and emotionally, it will all be so worth it!

Thank you all again for the incredible words of support. I won't forget your kind comments nor each of you as individuals ever......

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Prostate Cancer

Post by pk500 »

Dude:

I appreciate your candor, courage and advice, sentiments I'm sure echoed by everyone in here. Your positive attitude is VERY refreshing and inspirational.

Take that approach into your treatment and whip this thing's ass.

Remember you're far from being alone during this journey. You've got family and friends who love you, and you've got tens of knuckleheads here who are pulling for you like Clydesdales in front of the Budweiser beer wagon.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

You are in my thoughts and prayers DM.. you are a strong individual and I appreciate your post. (I normally skim through posts in the big threads)

I wish nothing but good news for you as you go through this.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

We are all 100% behind you!

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Thanks fellas, I'm truly touched and honored to be a part of this great community! What is truly telling is that we discuss video games and let it fly with our passions, but when things get real, this community comes together like no other I have seen. This is truly a special collection of individuals who become a true support structure for those facing tough times. Thank you for letting me share something very personal and be a part of this tremendous community....

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Divot,

I wouldn't usually just "me too" a post, but Paul's words were perfectly chosen. Keeping you in my prayers and wishing you all the best.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Ill be turning 50 here at the end of the year and finally got myself some health insurance so i will take your advice Divot thanks and good luck with your fight, stay positive mate.

TheTruth
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TheTruth »

Divot, you and your family will be in our prayers. And I also echo everyone's sentiments so far. Thanks for the advice on the PSA levels as well...never even heard of that before. Best wishes.
[b]Xbox Live Gamertag:[/b] [color=red]HOGZ TheTruth[/color] Wii: 7256 9991 5571 9701

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

F*ck Cancer. Good luck Divot...we'll all be thinking about you. Hopefully they caught it quick and can get rid of it once and for all.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Divot, you're an inspiration man. As PK said, kick cancer's ass. Leave no prisoners. God bless!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Divot you have a noble outlook given the circumstances. You know we are all here for you and will support you as you kick this thing's ass.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Stay strong, and above all else, stay positive. I truly feel that makes a world of difference in this fight you are undoubtedly going to beat. Power through this and it'll only make you stronger and a better person, if that's even possible. Good luck!

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I join in all the get well wishes and will keep you in my prayers.

And thank you for reaching out with good health advice. I'm in my 50's too and need to stay proactive.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

I hate to hear this but get well man.....I wish nothing but the best for you and your family. Thoughts and prayers to you.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Thanks for the great post and advice. Good thoughts headed your way!

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Tim,

As I posted in the other thread, I'll be praying for your complete and full recovery. Having a positive attitude is half the battle won towards your ultimate victory over cancer.

-MERACE

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

What a brave and insightful post Divot. Thank you.

My thoughts are with you during this time. WHEN you beat this thing we should celebrate with a real-life DSP golf tourney at the course of your choice!!!

-Victor
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Sorry to hear of your medical condition, Divot. Hopefully you can beat your form of cancer like Jim Kelly did. 8)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

A group hug is always good. Everything is secondary isn't it when you don't have 100% health. Stay strong, positive, I am sure you have the love of your close ones behind you and this community as you can see is pulling for you too. Be strong, you'll beat it.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Divot, sorry to hear about your health struggles. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Thanks for sharing the information. I know I am paying attention now and you never know...it may save a life some day.

Lee

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

All,

I have read every word in this thread and the previous one and I have to say I have a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye. I am overwhelmed at the kindness and support. I am forever grateful. I have been confident that I am going to kick cancer's ass, but seeing the words of encouragement from each of you has frankly blown my doors off and I know with the power of my Family and my Friends (that includes each of you in this community) and the incredible folks at MD Anderson, I will emerge from this free of cancer and a better person as a result. So many days in my life have sped by me because I have to admit many of those days I took for granted. I hope I can continue to slow down, take each moment as the gift that it is and just enjoy this life and make the most of it. Each one of you have inspired me beyond belief and I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. You all are THE REAL DEAL in my book!

Tim

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Tim:
You've got some serious stones, brother. That honesty, that grit...that's gonna serve you well as you send this crap packing. You have the prayers of some good men in here. God likes a fighter, too, so you're in REALLY good company. You can knock this out. You WILL. And lean on this group all you need to. Hang tough.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Divot, I look forward to the day you are cancer free and we can celebrate here at DSP!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Divot, sorry to hear the news, but wishing you the strength and determination to kick this thing.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

I know a few doctors from MD Anderson; people fly in from all over the world to get treated there. With the help of that world class facility and your tenacity I'm sure things will work out. May the worst part of your treatment be fighting the traffic getting to the Med Center.