XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: New Xbox AND PS4 Info/Rumors

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
wco81 wrote:http://www.edge-online.com/news/the-nex ... ew-kinect/

Another rumor about no used games allowed.
Luckily I don't BUY used games, however, I sell games, so that might be a problem. Jerks.
Yeah I only buy new games as well but on occasion I buy used games. I thought the current EA Online Pass Play might evolve into this. It's actually the easiest way to do it. What does bother me is the mandatory online connection. If the internet or if their servers goes down forget playing offline. That part sucks.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

This rumor keeps coming up, but really...you'd have to be incredibly stupid and/or have zero business sense to implement such a thing. That's a death knell. If either Sony or Microsoft do something so mind-numbingly idiotic, they deserve what happens next. I just don't think it's gonna happen.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

That's the thing, how many people buy games at full price knowing they can sell and get some of that money back.

So it's a de facto price increase on games.

Speculation is that both MS and Sony will do it, that they have some kind of unwritten deal to both do it. Because if only one of them did it, they'd be risking losing customers to the other, though the WiiU doesn't block used games AFAIK.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:That's the thing, how many people buy games at full price knowing they can sell and get some of that money back.

So it's a de facto price increase on games.

Speculation is that both MS and Sony will do it, that they have some kind of unwritten deal to both do it. Because if only one of them did it, they'd be risking losing customers to the other, though the WiiU doesn't block used games AFAIK.
That wouldn't surprise me if the BR disc rumors are true. I can imagine the conversation:

MS: Hey Kaz we want to shutdown the used games market.
Sony: Ugh that's a bad idea but go ahead if you want. We'll give our customers that choice.
MS: Hey Kaz how about if we install your BR 50GB drives in our XBOX's
Sony: Let's roll.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I have my doubts that the used game restrictions will be as onerous as feared in next gen systems, but I'll say it again; the devil is in the details.

Steam on PC does not allow for used games, but provides excellent value and is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most with my new PC that is en route. Will MS or Sony create a digital delivery model as good as Steam? Doubtful, but I'm not jumping to conclusions yet on how this will play out.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Not a bad price if true.

I know myself and it will be almost impossible for me to not get one of the next gen machines at or near launch. I definitely am leaning toward MS. But if the PS4 comes out later this year and the new XBox doesn't make it out before the next gen version of The Show, my self-restraint will be put to the test.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:The PS4 will launch at $400.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/396151 ... bun-report
Definitely day 1 for me - I've become partial to Sony's offerings...I just love their exclusives and the elegant feel of their machines/interface.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:
10spro wrote:The PS4 will launch at $400.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/396151 ... bun-report
Definitely day 1 for me - I've become partial to Sony's offerings...I just love their exclusives and the elegant feel of their machines/interface.
Yeah, at this price I'll grab it too. I am sure that they are taking a hit but here's hoping that Sony is learning from their past mistakes.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

10spro wrote:Hope common sense prevails:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/06/analy ... next-xbox/
You hope so. A lot of people are spending money on mobile devices these days. While you can't get the same kind of gaming experience on mobile devices, they sell more of them in one year than the number of consoles sold in a generation. Possibly more than the number of consoles sold by MS and Sony in a generation.

That combined with cheap games makes it tricky for MS or Sony to put more restrictive policies on their products.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

How is it a day 1 purchases for anyone at this point? They haven't announced any details yet have they? Are there still people purely loyal to Sony because of the brand name? What if games are $100 and you can't play used games, still a day 1 purchase?

I love my 360 but with all these rumors floating around about used games, online only etc I may skip the next version if I don't like what I hear.

At this rate consoles are going to lose ground to the up and coming Steam boxes.
Last edited by Danimal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:
10spro wrote:Hope common sense prevails:

http://venturebeat.com/2013/02/06/analy ... next-xbox/
You hope so. A lot of people are spending money on mobile devices these days. While you can't get the same kind of gaming experience on mobile devices, they sell more of them in one year than the number of consoles sold in a generation. Possibly more than the number of consoles sold by MS and Sony in a generation.

That combined with cheap games makes it tricky for MS or Sony to put more restrictive policies on their products.
Not only are the games cheaper but it's super easy to buy and there are tons of free full games for the iPad and iPhone. Also you can play on multiple devices. I like having my iPad or Android tablet loaded with games. I still haven't gotten a Wii U and still have no desire to buy one which is a first for me as consoles are a day 1 purchase for me irregardless of who makes. I'm not excited by either the PS4 or the next Xbox. I'm on the fence if i'll buy them.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Maybe this will be my next gen "console"

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/6/395816 ... m-box-cake

"Based on what Valve has told us, its Steam box will — like a console — be something small and quiet that you can fit near your television while you kick back on the couch with a wireless controller. Like a PC, it will let you buy and download your games as many times as you want without needing any discs, and choose from a vast library of free game customizations... "

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/07/gabe- ... h-much-lo/

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go the Steam box route, or a low end gaming PC to hook up to the TV. Kinda tired of the Sony/Microsoft ecosystems, and Nintendo is sadly whatever at this point.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Whenever I tgry to go to that Joystiq url it redirects me to facebook with an error
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:Whenever I tgry to go to that Joystiq url it redirects me to facebook with an error
The internet is broken right now.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/7/396566 ... error-page

And it's fixed.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If the games prices and policies are the same, a $400 next-gen box should buy you a lot more bang for your buck then a current-gen console at $250 and probably some PCs at up to $600.

I don't have a gaming PC so it would be a big upgrade. There's some speculation that GTA5 being delayed to September would line it up with the new consoles.

The Steam box might be even a better value in terms of power but if you prefer the variety of genres on consoles, it may be too PC games-centric.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

No way will I get one at that price. Way out of my price range.

Maybe if the PS3 drops to $100 I can finally pick it up :)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I have a greater tolerance for higher prices on next-gen consoles because I use my 360 for far more than gaming, something I never expected. There is a price ceiling, but it's far taller than I imagined.

Still, it's very unlikely I'll buy any console at launch. I want to see all of the competition, including the Steam Box. Plus the launch title lineup never is that robust for new systems. One or two killer games, and the rest are mediocre. System game libraries are like wine and cigars -- they need time to mature.

The prospect of the mod community for PC games being available to thrive on the Steam Box has me pretty jazzed about that device. Mods are one of the three trump cards PC games hold over consoles, the others being better graphics and far more players in multiplayer modes.

I love this line from Gabe Newell of Valve about the possibility the Steam Box may fail in the market:

"If we're wrong, at least it will be spectacularly entertaining as a failure," he said.

Sounds a lot like the Dreamcast, the most brilliant failure in video gaming history. I still miss that system.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote: The Steam box might be even a better value in terms of power but if you prefer the variety of genres on consoles, it may be too PC games-centric.
This might honestly be the most silly statement you've ever made on DSP and believe me that is saying something for you.

Too PC centric. LMAO
Follow Me on:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Glad you've been paying attention.

Here are the most popular games today on Steam:

Current Players Peak Today Game

90,490 238,126 Dota 2
41,885 52,974 Team Fortress 2
32,538 49,589 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
24,268 28,013 Sid Meier's Civilization V
16,642 69,301 Football Manager 2013
14,820 57,779 Counter-Strike
13,337 15,572 Garry's Mod
12,238 26,362 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
10,562 12,056 Borderlands 2
9,804 36,129 Counter-Strike: Source

That's a PC-centric list of games.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

PC centric basically means no sports games. Lol.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

wco81 wrote:Glad you've been paying attention.

Here are the most popular games today on Steam:
Wait your argument that Steam is too pc-centric for gamers is based on the most popular games today. One of which is on sale 50% off. Yet you want to be taken seriously?

Top selling games from last week for consoles in USA

X360 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - available on Steam and looks better.
PS3 Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - PS3 exclusive
PS3 Call of Duty: Black Ops II - available on Steam
X360 Halo 4 - 360 exclusive, please keep it off the PC
X360 Far Cry 3 - available on Steam, looks 100 times better see Terry's screen shots
X360 NBA 2K13 20,677 - Available on Steam
Wii Just Dance 4 - Got me there totally worth having a console for this one! 8O
PS3 Far Cry 3 - See above
X360 Assassin's Creed III - available on Steam
PS3 DMC - available on Steam 49.99

So of the top 10 selling games from last week You have a PS3 exclusive, a 360 exclusive and a Dance game that aren't available on the pc-centric network.

Care to try again?
Follow Me on:

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

And what are the most popular games sold on Steam?

Or actually being played?

COD, AC and a few other games are on every platform. A lot of PC games developers have ported to consoles, far more than console games ported to the PC.

But hey if all you want is a games library heavy on FPS, RPGs and RTS games, then this Steam box is for you. Or just upgrade the PC you have already.