XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:Nice additions to Xbox Game Pass for March. The best value in gaming just got better:

https://majornelson.com/2019/03/06/comi ... an-2-more/
That's probably why MS is releasing the XONE S Digital Edition (disc-less) supposedly in May. That's where gaming is heading, "all-digital".
I can't lie: The disc drive in my OG Xbox One is dying, and I'm very interested in a discless replacement, especially if it's $50 cheaper. I never watch DVD or Blu-Ray movies, so the disc only is used for games. And with Best Buy discontinuing Gamers Club Unlocked, the appeal of trading games with more credit is waning for me.
Soooo...even if the disc drive dies, you'd buy a replacement that has the same functionality as your current one? Not following.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Soooo...even if the disc drive dies, you'd buy a replacement that has the same functionality as your current one? Not following.
I can't lie, this cracked me the F up.

But at least he's going from OG to the S, so he could watch 4K digital movies or something. It's not like it's a totally lateral upgrade.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Soooo...even if the disc drive dies, you'd buy a replacement that has the same functionality as your current one? Not following.

But at least he's going from OG to the S, so he could watch 4K digital movies or something. It's not like it's a totally lateral upgrade.
It's even funnier because it's noted cheapskate PK. ;)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Yes. If the new unit was $50 to $75 cheaper, I would make the transition to all-digital. That's the future, anyways. And it's almost my present, as most of my collection comes from either Xbox Game Pass or EA Access. I'm buying fewer games at retail than ever. And with Best Buy ending its Gamers Club Unlocked program, I won't get the sweet 20 percent discount on new games and 10 percent boost on trades that continued to entice me to buy physical discs.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

TCrouch wrote:

I thought I made myself clear in my original post: I do not use the optical drive in my Xbox One for anything but games. I do not own a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc and haven't been to a video store in nearly 10 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this new disc-less Xbox is talking about the optical drive, not a hard disc. Correct?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The "All-Digital" XB S will be minus the optical drive but will still have a hard drive to store your digital purchases. You can also add an external USB 3.0 HDD to expand your storage capacity.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

pk500 wrote:
TCrouch wrote:

I thought I made myself clear in my original post: I do not use the optical drive in my Xbox One for anything but games. I do not own a DVD or a Blu-Ray disc and haven't been to a video store in nearly 10 years.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this new disc-less Xbox is talking about the optical drive, not a hard disc. Correct?
They're saying that even if your optical drive shits the bed completely and you decide to go all digital, you don't need this new diskless xbox one to do so. Your current xbox one has the ability to go all digital.
GT = Wilk5280

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Wilk5280 wrote:They're saying that even if your optical drive shits the bed completely and you decide to go all digital, you don't need this new diskless xbox one to do so. Your current xbox one has the ability to go all digital.
Exactly...even if the drive completely dies, and you continue to use the "broken" XBox as a digital-only device...you're still doing the exact same thing, without buying a new XBox.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Wilk5280 wrote:They're saying that even if your optical drive shits the bed completely and you decide to go all digital, you don't need this new diskless xbox one to do so. Your current xbox one has the ability to go all digital.
True. But it's an OG Xbox. I wouldn't mind the additional horsepower of an S, at a lower price.

My biggest debate is whether to save to get an X -- my ultimate goal -- or get the more budget-friendly S, with or without an optical drive.

I'll probably ride my OG Xbox until it dies. But the drive is getting more sketchy by the day. So my decision is coming soon.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

For games, the S does nothing substantially different. It "upscales" 1080p images to 4K, and I've got a couple of OG XBoxes, an Xbox One S, and an X in the house. I can't tell the difference between the S and OGs when gaming. It DOES have HDR, though, if you have an HDR TV.

Now, if you're going to upgrade the box, I see no reason you'd go for an S. The X gives you the actual horsepower for games that you'd use.

But I haven't looked at the price differences between them...I just know as far as the money spent goes, I don't think you'd see a single thing different between your OG and the S for game-related content.

That's just my opinion, of course. If I was spending a couple hundred on a new console, I'd just get the greatest upgrade, personally.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

If the next gen xbox had an all-digital (no drive) version, I'd totally get it. The only discs I throw in my 1X are my kids' (mostly disney) DVD's. With the new Disney streaming app coming, I'm hoping to get rid of my DVD's too.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I stopped buying DVD's and Blu-Rays movies a while ago. I just rent and stream now, I haven't jumped on the digital owner route yet because I'm just a little leery on where to buy from cause who knows what will go away. Netflix also has 4k movies now (not enough) and Dolby Atoms (even less) but they have them.

As for games i don't recall the last game I bought on a disc. I get everything digitally.

Remember when this generation started and that was the XB plan all along, but Sony killed them in the press conference, pussies cried about reselling their old discs and it was a big thing. Now almost everyone just buys digitally, they had the right idea back then people just weren't ready. Which is probably why their service with things like Game Pass and EA Access is ahead of Sony.

Once my hood gets fiberoptic in the next few months I'll be happier then a pig in s***, or a PK in the dollar store. :D
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I see Terry and DB's point. Makes no sense for me to get a new S without an optical drive when my existing OG Xbox could do the same -- especially since I'm still happily rocking a 720p Panasonic plasma TV from 2009.

Thanks for illuminating me, fellas.

I guess my desire for a new toy gnaws at my armor of refusing to spend money. Then again, I dropped $1,100 on a new mountain bike right after Christmas (don't GASP!) and also enjoyed a wonderful (yet incredibly low buck) trip with my daughter to the UK and Ireland before Christmas.

So those will be my toys until my OG Xbox sh*ts the bed, when I'll probably use the Jaws of Life to pry open the money clip, breathe deeply and find a good deal on an X. :)

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Give me a drive-less Xbox "2X" and use that space for better 'guts' (larger SSD, processors, bluetooth, etc...). I'm all in.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Google's new streaming service called "Stadia" sounds interesting. It'll allow you to pickup and play where you left off when you move to another device including mobile devices. Supposedly the streaming service is more powerful than the PS4 Pro and X1X combined. No mention of price for the service and the Stadia controller. They had AC Odyssey and Doom Eternal running on the service.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:Google's new streaming service called "Stadia" sounds interesting. It'll allow you to pickup and play where you left off when you move to another device including mobile devices. Supposedly the streaming service is more powerful than the PS4 Pro and X1X combined. No mention of price for the service and the Stadia controller. They had AC Odyssey and Doom Eternal running on the service.
A niche product -- at least for now -- because it probably will require very fast Internet speeds to accommodate instant streaming. Google conspicuously did NOT announce the minimum download speed required for this service, an important omission that probably tells you this service will be a bandwidth hog.

And what about those homeowners with fast speeds but data caps? Good luck with that.

I doubt this will become the Google+ of gaming. Google will make this work. But there are far more important questions than answers. I don't think Google crushed it out of the park with this presentation simply because of that one glaring omission.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_conti ... Uih5C5rOrA[/youtube]

If you want to see the presentation
Follow Me on:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So as someone who sat and listened to and glance at that long presentation while working I have to say they have some amazing ideas. I'm skeptical about a streaming gaming service but if anyone can pull it off it is Google. High speed internet is expanding rapidly, I'll have fiber optic within weeks, many places already have it. If you live in the sticks well your SOL but I think that number will continue to decrease.

Even being skeptical if you're actively routing for this to fail you either didn't watch the presentation or are just a complete idiot. If you could game on any device with no lag, 4k graphics and not have to pony up money for a new console or PC you wouldn't do it?

Pricing was not discussed at all, nor was the launch library. A sure fire way to build a user base is to allow any of my digital purchases from any platform to transfer over at no cost.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I never said I wanted the thing to fail. But Google omitted the two most important tech specs of the service from its presentation -- just how much bandwidth is required and how much will data will it inhale, and how much will the service cost?

Fiber service is far from being close to ubiquitous. Recent surveys show only 25 percent of American households have access to it. That number will climb, but it will take significant infrastructure investment from telecom companies or municipalities for it to reach critical mass quickly.

I live 20 minutes from Syracuse, which has 130,000 people. Onondaga County, where I live and which includes Syracuse, has 465,000 people. Verizon FIOS is not available in widespread areas of this county, including suburban areas and my semi-rural/suburban area. Must of us are still slumming with Spectrum cable internet.

Syracuse may not be Chicago or NYC, but it's not Appalachia or Mississippi, either. It's going to be awhile before fiber internet is the norm.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Wasn't implying you Pk but there are people on social media trashing this thing for no reason other then popular contrarian society we are now.

Yes all of those things were missing, I'm sure you will get that info at E3 or in the next few months. My area didn't have fiber before 6 months ago. Metronet came in in November and already large parts of the area are hooked up. My neighborhood is just starting to get it.

Even then I would think they are aiming lower for connection speeds, if you need fiber to use it they have cut themselves out already.

Regardless of the how much, how fast and how many games the ideas were simply next level IMO.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:I never said I wanted the thing to fail. But Google omitted the two most important tech specs of the service from its presentation -- just how much bandwidth is required and how much will data will it inhale, and how much will the service cost?
200mbps

Hands on: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... m-gdc-2019

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:I never said I wanted the thing to fail. But Google omitted the two most important tech specs of the service from its presentation -- just how much bandwidth is required and how much will data will it inhale, and how much will the service cost?
200mbps

That is what they tested on I don't see that is listed as a tech requirement
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:
Rodster wrote:
200mbps

That is what they tested on I don't see that is listed as a tech requirement
I hope Dan is right. If 200 mbps is the minimum connection speed, this thing will be niche as hell. Most basic residential cable internet service starts around 50 mbps. I pay extra for 100 mbps, and I'm with Spectrum, not some local-yokel Mom and Pops provider.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

pk500 wrote:I hope Dan is right.
I am, at least as far as this article goes unless I am missing something.

Not sure why he posted it like that.

I pay for 50 and I'm lucky if I get 25. With Fiber I'll get a Gig of speed. Can't wait.
Follow Me on:

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Eh, doesn't interest me in the slightest.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood