XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Diablo25 »

Last edited by Diablo25 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: New Xbox AND PS4 To Be Unveiled at E3

Post by Rodster »

No surprise really. I don't understand why IGN says Sony would go back on their 10 year plan. That only pertained to how long the device would be supported. The PS2 was released in 2000 and the PS3 released in 2006. IGN should know better.

I really want to see these consoles embrace FULL HD 1080P this time and not upscaled images.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Doubt it.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Bring them out as soon as possible so that by the time I decide to buy them they will be cheap. The Gamecube is the last console I bought at or near launch. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the current gen of consoles and have a backlog of games that will tide me over for some time to come. If this rumor is true it should be one heck of a fun E3 this year.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I'd like to see them get on with it already. I have no intention of buying either at launch though, but the sooner the launch the sooner they become usable with mature ports.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:I'd like to see them get on with it already. I have no intention of buying either at launch though, but the sooner the launch the sooner they become usable with mature ports.
+1

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Trying to remember previous announcements and the launch date.

The shortest time between the public unveiling and the actual launch may have been the Xbox 360, which had that MTV show and then a launch like 6 months later.

Some have suggested MS and Sony may be pre announcing at least a year ahead to torpedo WiiU sales. Though it might not be the best thing for X360 and PS3 sales either.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

One thing is for sure. MS doesn't want Sony to get the jump on the next round and Sony doesn't want MS to release theirs first. I think the noise about E3 will show both consoles.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

At least Sony says no, officially. Per IGN. Didn't think so.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well of course they're going to deny that 5 months from now (or whenever the E3 is), they're going to announce a successor to the product that they're still selling and depend on for sales and profits.

If they said, "Yeah we're going to announce something so much better than the stuff we're selling now so stop buying our stuff" that would really be news.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:At least Sony says no, officially. Per IGN. Didn't think so.
Correct:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/26983 ... -kaz-hirai

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Great. It's a race to see who can get to market first.. Can't wait to see what replaces the RROD as the reason we end up sending our new consoles in for repair ;)
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Am totally up for a new Xbox to come out in late 2013 - by that time my PC will be obsolete for the high-end titles and I think we'd be more than ready for the next generation of consoles. Like I've said before, 64 player Battlefield 3 on Return to Karland with the increased map size, increased structural damage and the gorgeous visuals are the best advertisement for a new console generation you can get.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

BTW, has anyone checked out OnLive?

Supposedly it's playable now and is getting better all the time.

It's going to be available on tablets and will be integrated into Google TV by Vizio.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Lots of rumors making the rounds on the new Xbox;
-'six times as powerful'
-out fall 2013
-bluray
-will not play used games

Obviously the used games piece has everyone riled up. I think it's understandable, but it makes buying a $60 game with no way to re-sell pretty tough to swallow. 40 or 50 would be much more fair in such a case.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I can't see the Bluray rumor coming true as MS said they want to go cloud based and disc less so I can see a hybrid between disc and cloud until the tech matures for games. Wrt used games I remember a similar rumor with the PS3 that never came true.

If you can't play used games then I like your idea, drop the damn price of the new games to $30-50 max for exclusive 1st party games like Forza and Halo games. Multi-platform games should sell at $30-45 max.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Naples39 wrote:Obviously the used games piece has everyone riled up. I think it's understandable, but it makes buying a $60 game with no way to re-sell pretty tough to swallow. 40 or 50 would be much more fair in such a case.
A move by Microsoft to prevent play of used games wouldn't rile me up; it would drive me away from MS entirely. No sale. Hello, Sony PS4.

That's a preposterous idea by MS. Do auto manufacturers build a chip into car ignitions that prevent starting by second-hand owners?

Maybe MS needs to revise its economic model of selling hardware for pennies on the dollar and recouping those lost profits through software sales and licensing. I don't think consumers would mind spending $500 for a robust, high-horsepower console with full Internet connectivity and apps. People already are buying iPads at that price.

The next generation of machines probably will be the last with new games sold on physical media. MS and Sony will have customers by the balls within 10 years, offering new games only via download through XBL. It's handy for consumers who aren't tightwads and a bigger profit source for publishers and console manufacturers.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If they don't sell games on physical media, which is how retail stores make money on gaming products, why would they give shelf space for consoles, which they don't make money on?

Digital media is convenient but if they price it like physical media and you have no chance to recoup your costs by selling games you're done with, there will be more interest in piracy and overall sales could suffer.

A lot of people buy games now with the knowledge that they can get some of their money back by re-selling.

OTOH, if one console prevents used games and the other doesn't, publishers might flock to the first one and there might be a significant gap in 3rd-party support, which would of course drive console sales.

Or it could alienate some gamers from console gaming, drive them to PCs or go for more casual gamings on phones and tablets.

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by bdunn13 »

I agree PK - you can't change the mind of a consumer that is our age. However, you can change your business model and have consumers adapt over a long period of time (when a younger generation takes over as your primary customer base).

I also don't see this even being much (if any) more profitable for them. Where does a majority of the money go when games are sold? I would think EB / GS still have close to a monopoly on trade in. They get games, give store credit and have people buy new games with that money. So old money gets added to new money to get new games. I think you would see less games sold. Piracy could also go up since there would be more reward to not buy a game that would in fact cost the price your purchased it for and have no real value beyond that.

BD
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I call the whole rumor about BR and used games bullshit. MS isn't saying anything because it gets people talking about the next-gen Xbox. The same thing happened with the PS3 and used game. All it did was get people talking about the PS3 when the 360 was already being sold in stores. Sony stayed silent as any press was good press. Then we all found out the it turned out to be not true.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Increased digital distribution is obviously coming, and there's no re-sale of any of that. With something like the apple app store though, those prices are dirt cheap and constantly go on sale.

I suppose game companies would rather put their games on sale 2 months after release, than have people just go out and buy a used copy. On the other hand, it's been disappointing to me the XBLA games very rarely get marked down, even years after release.

There's lots of pitfalls here, so the devil will be in the details.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

The used game thing is bullshit. Guarantee it.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

wco81 wrote:If they don't sell games on physical media, which is how retail stores make money on gaming products, why would they give shelf space for consoles, which they don't make money on?
If the demand is there, it'll still get consumers into the doors. Not that different of a scenario than selling Apple products.

What will be curious is, if we go to digital, will the costs of games go down very much. I think iTunes is a tremendous rip-off as you pay $10 for a digital copy of an album when you can usually buy the CD for the same or even less. I think you'll see the same situation with games.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Steam my preferred Digital Distribution service offers the ability to trade some games with other Steam users. I'm pretty sure at this point that it is only Valve games but I could be wrong. Honestly Steam is on the cutting edge of DD but the publishers all want a piece of the pie and are making their own services so the whole DD model is going to become fractured to the extent it won't work.

I already have Steam, Impulse, Gog and at least 2 others on my PC and I can't keep track of what games are where. I've come to the conclusion if I can't get it off of Steam I am not buying it. I make a rare exception for example BF3 and probably ME3 but that's it.

I also think the used game thing is BS. I'm not so sure about the Blu-Ray at the time the PS3 and 360 came out you might recall the HD-DVD was the leader, then the studios decided to back Blu-Ray and all of us with HD DVD players have nice paper weights. I don't see how digital distribution is going to work from movies and games on a console unless space can be increased. Especially for movies who wants to own a digital only copy of a movie? Rental sure, to own now way.

I have 6 TB of space on my PC and the download speeds aren't restricted by shoddy networks (Hi PSN) so getting games etc is not an issue. I would never buy a digital version of a game off of Live outside of Arcade games and PSN well i have the 2 free games and those took so long to download on their crappy service I won't even buy their lite games.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Danimal wrote:I would never buy a digital version of a game off of Live outside of Arcade games.
Agreed. I will buy a physical copy of a game EVERY time instead of a digital download from Xbox Live because I know I can recoup some of the purchase price through a trade or sale, even if it's only $1 from the thieves at Gamestop.

I got Halo: Reach as a free digital download only because that's how it was packaged in the 250GB Xbox bundle I bought on Black Friday.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425