XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by J_Cauthen »

I will immediately go in and change to combined brakes... thanks for the tips on that and on fall impacts!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Long, long overdue but I like how MS has cleaned up the UI on the XONE. The main screen looks less cluttered and things are better grouped together. Game updates and download queues have their own group as well. About time, nice job.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Project Cars 2 free in April with Games with Gold.

VERY good game once you get controller settings set up, which can be a real b*tch. I spent hours getting mine right for me and a variety of cars -- happy to share them.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

pk500 wrote:Project Cars 2 free in April with Games with Gold.

VERY good game once you get controller settings set up, which can be a real b*tch. I spent hours getting mine right for me and a variety of cars -- happy to share them.
And...son of a b*tch. LOL. Just bought it on the PC last week for something new, and it is a brutally challenging game w/ the assists off.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
pk500 wrote:Project Cars 2 free in April with Games with Gold.

And...son of a b*tch. LOL. Just bought it on the PC last week for something new, and it is a brutally challenging game w/ the assists off.
Yeah, forgot to mention: This game is the furthest thing from an arcade racing experience on a console. It's an unforgiving but rewarding challenge.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Resident Evil 2 Remake is $20 on XBLive. I haven't played a RE game in a very long time.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Inside Xbox Presents First Look Xbox Series X Gameplay - Live at 8am PT/11am ET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REwzQraW7K4

Presented in 4K on Youtube. Dirt 5 looked like an over the top version of Forza Horizon 4 with changing seasons, day/night transitions, etc. Will have 4 player split screen. There was talk of sprint cars, although I did not see any. Assassins Creed Valhalla looked cool, but I have never been able to get into the Assasins Creed games. All titles seemed to be touting the "smart delivery" option of buy one title and have it available to use for Xbox One as well as series X. Nothing too earth shattering or making me want to pre-order a console, although I probably will anyway.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Pretty. But I wish some of the mighty horsepower in these new machines would create new experiences in gaming instead of just prettier graphics and faster load times.

I want something ground-breaking. Instead, the launch of these new systems feels a lot like remastered record albums. Better sound, but still the same songs.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:Pretty. But I wish some of the mighty horsepower in these new machines would create new experiences in gaming instead of just prettier graphics and faster load times.

I want something ground-breaking. Instead, the launch of these new systems feels a lot like remastered record albums. Better sound, but still the same songs.
That’s pretty much what Microsoft (and Sony) has said they are going for with the new systems Paul. Not much of that was in this “unveiling” but they Definitely are working on other features for the console. Now all we need is to hear more about them.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I agree with PK although a lot can be solved with successful "NEW" IP's. That's why this generation I preferred Sony because of their IP's and new IP's. Let's see what MS comes up with because they did signup a bunch of Game Studios so hopefully they will turn out some new game franchises and the point will be moot.

I will definitely buy a Series X but I'm in no rush as my OG XONE still works. The same goes for the PS5, I can wait a few years.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Rodster wrote:Let's see what MS comes up with because they did signup a bunch of Game Studios so hopefully they will turn out some new game franchises and the point will be moot.
I am with you on this one. This gen I have been predominantly Xbox. I do own a PS4 for The Show so I have gotten several of Sony’s 1st party games and they Definitely won this gen in that sense. Uncharted 4 was AMAZING. The Show is the best sports franchise out in my opinion. Horizon Zero Dawn - Incredible. I recently purchased God of War 3 for $14.99. Jesus, what a game. Spider-Man = wow. Their final 1st party game, The Last of Us 2 is due out in a few weeks. Quite simply, the original Last of Us is one of the best single player experiences ever. They remastered it for the PS4 and it was even better. If any of you have a PS4 and haven’t played The Last of Us...shame on you.

If Microsoft’s acquired studios even sniffs what Sony did this gen I will be pleased. They sure are trying. I believe they said in yesterday’s reveal that they will be showcasing work from the the new studios in July (maybe they said June). In my opinion, the build up to next gen has been won by MS - so far. Phil Spencer and his team have been on the ball. Sony’s “reveal” about a month ago was a jerk off session for tech geeks but for the everyday gamer it was very odd. Once Sony physically unveils the PS5 then we can really start talking.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If history repeats itself, then MS should have the upper hand this Gen. Each cycle the dominant player went into the following gen with a touch of arrogance. Sony did it coming from the success of the PS2 and lost. Microsoft tried harder with the 360 but was 2nd to Nintendo only because of the RROD nightmare. If not for the RROD, MS would probably have been #1. It was a ground breaking platform and console.

Sony then tried harder coming off the PS3 and MS had a touch of arrogance coming off the success of the X360 and tried some new ideas which fell flat with gamers (I give them credit for trying) and Sony won this round because they spun MS' decisions as bad ideas. So let's see if Sony shows a bit of arrogance and thinks it's got it in the bag this time around.

But in the end it comes down to the games and looking back, MS tried real hard bringing along a lot of Japanese developers with their RPG's which was still a fad back in 2006 with the 360. And really how many new IP's has MS had this gen? Sea of Thieves is the only one I can think of. Am I missing any notable ones?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

This could potentially be the first time I don't run out and purchase a next gen console. I just purchased a new desktop computer (my iMac has lasted 9 years) and that's primarily where I think most of my gaming will center around. If I can achieve similar visuals and better frame rates, then why do I necessarily need to rush out and purchase a new console? I guess I also need to justify my new purchase...lol.

Anyways, I think yesterday's reveal was rather sub par, but I'm also comparing what I've seen what is capable on the pc. Also, none of the games really appealed to my tastes (except Dirt 5). I think Xbox is going to put a stronger emphasis on first party games this time around, or at the very least have a better variety. I don't necessarily foresee either console jumping out of the gates very strongly due to the economic climate. But also, I think it might be some time in the next gen console's life that we see a significant jump in game play and visuals.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

New Unreal 5 engine looks incredible.. I believe this comes from an actual playable demo on the PS5 as well.

https://youtu.be/qC5KtatMcUw
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MizzouRah wrote:New Unreal 5 engine looks incredible.. I believe this comes from an actual playable demo on the PS5 as well.

https://youtu.be/qC5KtatMcUw
Wow. That blurs the line between virtual and reality. IMPRESSIVE. Thanks for sharing.

I don't know if that's the quality of the Unreal Engine or the PS5 graphics architecture or both. But that tech video looked more impressive than anything shown in the one-hour Xbox Series X preview last week.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If any has liked retro racer Horizon Chase Turbo, there's a knockoff just like it called Formula Retro Racer. It's made by a different developer.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

WRC 8 is coming to the XONE this July for free as part of XBL Gold membership. A couple of other games look decent as well in that group but most notable is WRC 8.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:49 am
WRC 8 is coming to the XONE this July for free as part of XBL Gold membership. A couple of other games look decent as well in that group but most notable is WRC 8.
Oooh, that's a nice add. Thanks for the tip, Rod!

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

Purchased Super Blast Tennis last night...it’s currently $7.49 for a few more days. Really fun little arcade tennis game and it appears to have a very deep career mode, not to mention mini games for training. It’s obviously not licensed but they have some of the top tennis players in the game...present and past including Borg and McEnroe, Steffi Graf, Martina...etc...names are changed by just a few letters to protect the innocent but the Avatars are spot on.
Didn’t see any talk about this game but this is without a doubt the most fun I’ve had with a tennis game in a long time.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

tjung0831 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 pm
Purchased Super Blast Tennis last night...it’s currently $7.49 for a few more days. Really fun little arcade tennis game and it appears to have a very deep career mode, not to mention mini games for training. It’s obviously not licensed but they have some of the top tennis players in the game...present and past including Borg and McEnroe, Steffi Graf, Martina...etc...names are changed by just a few letters to protect the innocent but the Avatars are spot on.
Didn’t see any talk about this game but this is without a doubt the most fun I’ve had with a tennis game in a long time.
Super Soccer Blast is pretty good as well...just a fun pick up and play game - especially for my 8 year old. There's a volleyball version as well I think.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Yeah, they can suck a dick
GT = Wilk5280

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

My favorite current game is Minecraft Dungeons...basically a 16 bit game. Why do I need a new console? Dammit...you're right, I'm a sucker. 70 dollar games be damned.

But that also means it makes my decision easier, Xbox over PS5 because of the free games like Minecraft/Forza/etc. w/ Gamepass assuming they will continue to release first party games on Gamepass as well.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Depends on the game for me. For example, I would easily pay $70 for a sequel to The Hunter: Call of the Wild since I have put literally hundreds of hours into that game. Same with a third Isle of Man TT game and The Division 3.

But a $70 sticker price would steer me even further away from impulse purchases of new games. As DB said, this price increase makes subscription-based, all-you-can-eat services like Xbox GamePass and EA Access look better than ever.

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by tjung0831 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 am
tjung0831 wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:49 pm
Super Soccer Blast is pretty good as well...just a fun pick up and play game - especially for my 8 year old. There's a volleyball version as well I think.
I actually purchased Super Blast soccer first, it’s ok, just needs a bit more atmosphere. Definitely not as deep as the Tennis game though. I’ll probably get their volleyball game when it goes on sale again.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM