XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's amazing a GT game still can't get in game AI right. What a circus it is on the track. I got booted off the course multiple times over a couple races. It's like they don't brake enough when they are behind you and they brake too much in front. So yeah...not sure about this one.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's amazing a GT game still can't get in game AI right. What a circus it is on the track. I got booted off the course multiple times over a couple races. It's like they don't brake enough when they are behind you and they brake too much in front. So yeah...not sure about this one.
I'll be finding out a little later for myself about this as I now see that the non PS Plus owners got access to the demo earlier this morning. I'm downloading it now. What you're describing sounds like the rinse & repeat formula that every GT game I've ever played uses. As PK500 has so aptly put it over the past two decades, it's a driving simulation, not a racing one. 8)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

J_Cauthen wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:It's amazing a GT game still can't get in game AI right. What a circus it is on the track. I got booted off the course multiple times over a couple races. It's like they don't brake enough when they are behind you and they brake too much in front. So yeah...not sure about this one.
I'll be finding out a little later for myself about this as I now see that the non PS Plus owners got access to the demo earlier this morning. I'm downloading it now. What you're describing sounds like the rinse & repeat formula that every GT game I've ever played uses. As PK500 has so aptly put it over the past two decades, it's a driving simulation, not a racing one. 8)
Yup, the GT series has always had pathetic AI and probably always will, which is why the game has begun to focus more on multiplayer. It's best known for it's graphics engine and driving model. For me the GT series just has this perfect weight transfer feel that just invites you to follow the race track line as you try and improve on your lap times.

The main problem for Gran Turismo is that it's been leapfrogged by the Forza series with it's own cutting edge graphics and "Drivatar AI". Now it's the reverse with Forza holding the crown for AI, graphics, track and car count. The driving model for Forza on a gamepad has also improved but I still slightly prefer GT.

It's doesn't matter however GT turns out as that's a system seller for Sony and their best selling franchise game. I'll probably wait for the GOTY edition or when it gets a massive discount.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I started getting my first real excitement for the Xbox One X this week. We are inside a month :D
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Diablo25 wrote:I started getting my first real excitement for the Xbox One X this week. We are inside a month :D
Ssssay... you can be my barometer for the gameplay and performance improvements we'll see with The Golf Club 2, via the XBox One X. I know I'll likely be buying an XBox One X eventually, but might expedite that process with your reaction with TGC 2. I have a feeling that Forza 7 on the X is going to set an unprecedented standard though... well, provided you're coupling it with a 4K display. 8)

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

My most wanted MUST see a visual improvement on the Xbox X in no particular order: TGC 2, NHL 18, BF1, Battlefront 2, FIFA 18, Madden 18. In other words games that I am currently playing or will be playing with the exception of Forza 7, which I just know it’ll shine.

My wallet is really getting thin for November as I plan to upgrade my iPhone too. :?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:My most wanted MUST see a visual improvement on the Xbox X in no particular order: TGC 2, NHL 18, BF1, Battlefront 2, FIFA 18, Madden 18. In other words games that I am currently playing or will be playing with the exception of Forza 7, which I just know it’ll shine.

My wallet is really getting thin for November as I plan to upgrade my iPhone too. :?
I thought TGC2 wasn’t getting the XB1X ‘treatment’?
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Diablo25 wrote:
10spro wrote:My most wanted MUST see a visual improvement on the Xbox X in no particular order: TGC 2, NHL 18, BF1, Battlefront 2, FIFA 18, Madden 18. In other words games that I am currently playing or will be playing with the exception of Forza 7, which I just know it’ll shine.

That would be a travesty. :evil:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Diablo25 wrote:

Technically everything upscales right?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

Danimal wrote:Technically everything upscales right?
If by upscaling you mean from 1080p to 2160p, yes. I don't know how much better an upscaled from 1080p to 2160p, an image would look, but I bet you'd be able to tell the difference in an A/B comparison.

From all I've read though, even if a game gets no specific "X" enhancement, it should benefit from faster load times and from frame rate improvements, on games such as The Golf Club 2, where you have to option to not have a locked frame rate.

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Diablo25 wrote:

All I have heard to this point is no, which is why I have cancelled my pre-order and will wait until there is a time TGC2 gets an update or TGC3 takes advantage of it right out of the box.

And my understanding is that PS4 Pro users have seen little to no benefit of that hardware on TGC2....

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Tempted to grab an Xbox One X. And considering I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days, it probably makes sense to sell my PS4 Pro. Is that crazy? Sony is obviously killing it with their exclusives this gen, but I honestly think I'd be fine with a streamlined library of Forza 7, Forza Horizon 3, other racers and a AAA title like Red Dead Redemption once in a while.

Here's my thinking:

-I sort of consider myself a serious casual driving fan in the sense that I love games that don't require a lot of tinkering and that can just be enjoyed in small spurts. I'm guessing Forza and Horizon are great for this? I'm gaming on a 4K OLED, so I'm thinking that Forza 7 will probably keep me entertained and impressed for a while.

-My other consideration is that I don't want to use a driving wheel at this time (I would if I had the proper setup mind you), so to me, the xbox controller looks better suited for driving. Is this a big "yes" or just a minor difference you think?

For the price difference between selling the PS4 Pro and grabbing the One X, I 'm thinking that it might be a worthwhile change. Anyone else doing this?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:For the price difference between selling the PS4 Pro and grabbing the One X, I 'm thinking that it might be a worthwhile change. Anyone else doing this?
How much are they giving you for a PS4 Pro? If you’re really a racing fan and the Xbox controller is definitely better for that genre, then I think your mind is pretty much set.

I still enjoy the PS4 a lot, not my default console but their first party games are pretty awesome along The Show of course.

J_Cauthen
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by J_Cauthen »

fanatic wrote:Tempted to grab an Xbox One X. And considering I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days, it probably makes sense to sell my PS4 Pro. Is that crazy? Sony is obviously killing it with their exclusives this gen, but I honestly think I'd be fine with a streamlined library of Forza 7, Forza Horizon 3, other racers and a AAA title like Red Dead Redemption once in a while.
Forza 7 alone might be enough to get me to make the change you're contemplating. I can't put my finger on it, but while it still looks great, Forza 7 on my XBox One looks to be little bit muted compared to Forza 6. I'd like to see Forza 7 in action on my PC with higher graphics settings, but it's not happening right now with there being an apparent optimization issue with 3GB video cards. Turn 10 says an update is underway to make this better.
-I sort of consider myself a serious casual driving fan in the sense that I love games that don't require a lot of tinkering and that can just be enjoyed in small spurts. I'm guessing Forza and Horizon are great for this? I'm gaming on a 4K OLED, so I'm thinking that Forza 7 will probably keep me entertained and impressed for a while.
You've sort of describe me, except I don't have a 4K OLED display.... yet. I'm serious enough about it that I have a Thrustmaster TX Leather Edition setup, but I'm not big into the tinkering and setup process. I have no doubt Forza 7 will keep you entertained, as they'll be enhancing and expanding their multiplayer options and adding more career mode features.
-My other consideration is that I don't want to use a driving wheel at this time (I would if I had the proper setup mind you), so to me, the xbox controller looks better suited for driving. Is this a big "yes" or just a minor difference you think?
I'm a terrible driver with either the XBox One controller or the DS4, but I'm worse with the DS4. What I find is that the higher position of the XBox One controller's left thumbstick on the controller body allows me make minor steering adjustments by simply rotating my thumb on top of the stick, while keeping my thumb mostly straight. The geometry of this arrangement makes this more manageable.
For the price difference between selling the PS4 Pro and grabbing the One X, I 'm thinking that it might be a worthwhile change. Anyone else doing this?
I'm having a hard time gauging the value of a PS4 Pro at this point. I hear that it did wonders for GT Sport, which got my attention. I see a greater potential for titles that are more appealing to me coming for the XBox One X than the PS4 Pro, but that sort of thing will vary from gamer to gamer.

How much does a used PS4 Pro go for right now? I'd think if you could get $300 to $325 for it, that would be a done deal.
Last edited by J_Cauthen on Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fanatic wrote:My other consideration is that I don't want to use a driving wheel at this time (I would if I had the proper setup mind you), so to me, the xbox controller looks better suited for driving. Is this a big "yes" or just a minor difference you think?
The other thing to note is that the better driving wheels (my preference, the Thrustmaster TX) are Xbox/PC only...so if you did eventually decide to get a wheel, there are a few more options w/ the Xbox.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote:
fanatic wrote:For the price difference between selling the PS4 Pro and grabbing the One X, I 'm thinking that it might be a worthwhile change. Anyone else doing this?
How much are they giving you for a PS4 Pro? If you’re really a racing fan and the Xbox controller is definitely better for that genre, then I think your mind is pretty much set.

I still enjoy the PS4 a lot, not my default console but their first party games are pretty awesome along The Show of course.
Hey - Looks like it will fetch around $400 on Kijiji (keep in mind, this is CDN $, where everything is $100 more expensive to begin with), which is pretty decent. I'll check in-store trade in values, but EB is offering only $200 I believe, which is nuts.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

J_Cauthen wrote: I'm a terrible driver with either the XBox One controller or the DS4, but I'm worse with the DS4. What I find is that the higher position of the XBox One controller's left thumbstick on the controller body allows me make minor steering adjustments by simply rotating my thumb on top of the stick, while keeping my thumb mostly straight. The geometry of this arrangement makes this more manageable.
Yep, that's what I'm thinking as well about the thumbstick placement. Thanks for confirming!
dbdynsty25 wrote:
fanatic wrote:My other consideration is that I don't want to use a driving wheel at this time (I would if I had the proper setup mind you), so to me, the xbox controller looks better suited for driving. Is this a big "yes" or just a minor difference you think?
The other thing to note is that the better driving wheels (my preference, the Thrustmaster TX) are Xbox/PC only...so if you did eventually decide to get a wheel, there are a few more options w/ the Xbox.
Good to know. Now all I need is one of those custom driving chairs and a fan to blow my what's left of my hair while I drive and I'll be set!

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

fanatic wrote:Tempted to grab an Xbox One X. And considering I don't have a lot of time for gaming these days, it probably makes sense to sell my PS4 Pro. Is that crazy? Sony is obviously killing it with their exclusives this gen, but I honestly think I'd be fine with a streamlined library of Forza 7, Forza Horizon 3, other racers and a AAA title like Red Dead Redemption once in a while.

Here's my thinking:

Like you, my gaming time is limited. I'm watching more Netflix these days than gaming. With that said, you're doing the right thing in consolidating. Me, I just can't seem to break away when it comes to choosing just one console. Even though I never make it through a full season of the The Show, I couldn't imagine not being able to play the latest version. And I just favor the Sony first party exclusives to Microsoft's by a large margin.

But...but....there's so much to like about the Xbox One as well. To me at least, it's a more solid and put together system, although I'm not a fan of the user interface. The controller in my opinion is much better geared for racing and fps titles. I don't think there's really an argument there. And then of course, the two main reasons I enjoy the One so much is because of Forza (Horizon and Motorsport) and EA Access. You'll get a ridiculous amount of hours with each game (Horizon 3 and Motorsport 7). To this day, I can't understand how Sony screwed up not agreeing to EA Access. It's an incredible value. I just love the early 10 hour trials of new games.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:
10spro wrote:

Hey - Looks like it will fetch around $400 on Kijiji (keep in mind, this is CDN $, where everything is $100 more expensive to begin with), which is pretty decent. I'll check in-store trade in values, but EB is offering only $200 I believe, which is nuts.
I think the $200 is for the Slim version, so check with them again. Having said that if you can get $400 CAD for the Pro I would sell it now and pay the approximately $300 inc taxes for the Xbox OX. Also try a MS store and see what they can give you for the Pro. I find their incentives are better than GS.

Still that pretty steep for a hobby that will concentrate just on racing.

Good luck on your decision.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

10spro wrote: Still that pretty steep for a hobby that will concentrate just on racing.

You finished on such a somber note there! I thought we were supposed to encourage each other to make reckless spending decisions on here :wink:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Just got the new XB1 dashboard. It's a big change, and I'm sure many will complain, but I think it does a nice job of really making the guide ultra useful. They moved the tabs to the top which actually makes much better use of the space. Just using the bumpers to move left and right allows formal the options of each tab to fit easily underneath. It also eliminated one the button presses to get to the home screen.

Really, the guide almost eliminates a need for the home screen now. I even deleted my pins for now.

One thing I wish they would bering back is the One Guide for apps. As we watch more Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Go, it would be nice to use the One Guide to launch those apps straight into the show or movie we want. Also, it's easier to browse multiple apps for something to watch without having to boot up and close each app. I'm guessing it was just never used much. But suddenly I found a need for it, and it is gone. :-(
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

fanatic wrote:
10spro wrote: Still that pretty steep for a hobby that will concentrate just on racing.

You finished on such a somber note there! I thought we were supposed to encourage each other to make reckless spending decisions on here :wink:
Ok, honestly? I would keep the PS4 Pro and buy the Xbox OX. Can’t go wrong. :wink:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So one of my XB1's got the fall dashboard update and now it doesn't recognized my external drive which is a bit of an issue since most of my games are on it. Anyone else have this issue or know of a fix?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Aristo wrote:Just got the new XB1 dashboard. It's a big change, and I'm sure many will complain, but I think it does a nice job of really making the guide ultra useful. They moved the tabs to the top which actually makes much better use of the space. Just using the bumpers to move left and right allows formal the options of each tab to fit easily underneath. It also eliminated one the button presses to get to the home screen.

Really, the guide almost eliminates a need for the home screen now. I even deleted my pins for now.

One thing I wish they would bering back is the One Guide for apps. As we watch more Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, and HBO Go, it would be nice to use the One Guide to launch those apps straight into the show or movie we want. Also, it's easier to browse multiple apps for something to watch without having to boot up and close each app. I'm guessing it was just never used much. But suddenly I found a need for it, and it is gone. :-(
Is this a preview program release or is it the regular release?
"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

vader29 wrote:
Aristo wrote:Just got the new XB1 dashboard. It's a big change, and I'm sure many will complain, but I think it does a nice job of really making the guide ultra useful. They moved the tabs to the top which actually makes much better use of the space. Just using the bumpers to move left and right allows formal the options of each tab to fit easily underneath. It also eliminated one the button presses to get to the home screen.

Is this a preview program release or is it the regular release?
Everyone should be getting the official update on the 17th. If you were a Beta tester, you would have gotten it already, as I got mine on Tuesday. It’s basically a cleaner way to browse. Check on your console info and updates and see if you can download it from there if you were a tester.