XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by 10spro »

Gangrel wrote:Has anyone created a DSP club yet with the new Xbox update?
Good idea Ace. While everyone is thinking about it, I joined the 'Grumpy Old Gamers club'. :twisted:

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Interesting article on the state of console sytems vs PC.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/1363 ... -pc-gaming

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

10spro wrote:Interesting article on the state of console sytems vs PC.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/16/1363 ... -pc-gaming
Hahaha.

Thanks for the laugh.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Don't know why you laugh. I've got the biggest, baddest PC you can get at the moment, and that PS4 Pro I bought puts up some really gorgeous visuals--the downside, of course, being that most of them are 30 frames per second.

But for the "average" gamer? $400 for a 4K-capable console (with a TV that you'd have to have, of course), or more than that in a SINGLE $700 GTX 1080? And I had to get 2 of those for my PC?

I love you, man, but that's quite a few times that you've said stuff that seem like you're looking down your nose at people who even think of getting the PS4 Pro. And until I saw Battlefield 1 running in 4K at high frames, I was skeptical. Games barely know what they're doing so far, but when you see NBA or BF1 running on a 4K display at frames that my behemoth of a PC would struggle to hit...it's not so far-fetched.

Not to mention once developers get used to this, there will be games that flat out-kill what the "normal" PC could run for a comparable budget. How many games on PC are poorly optimized at launch, or handicapped by a console port? If they have a one-size-fits-all spec that they can hit 4K without variable hardware and all of the unknowns with drivers/hardware/operating system that developers worry about on PC, it's really a big deal.

I never scoffed at it, but I've been skeptical. Then I saw a couple of games running on my PS4 Pro/4K TV (not even HDR compatible TV, I might add) and became a believer. But we won't REALLY know whether it's worth or not for probably a year, in my opinion.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss or scoff at it, though.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:I never scoffed at it, but I've been skeptical. Then I saw a couple of games running on my PS4 Pro/4K TV (not even HDR compatible TV, I might add) and became a believer. But we won't REALLY know whether it's worth or not for probably a year, in my opinion.
Yeah I couldn't tell if he was laughing sarcastically or what.

I'm actually having buyers remorse on my giant PC upgrade this summer given the graphical upgrade on NBA 2k17 alone! Obviously I still play games on the PC, like Battlefield 1 that can destroy anything a console can put out, and will for the forseeable future, but the gap isn't nearly as big as it was.

Anyone who doesn't want to spring 2500 on an uber gaming PC, should definitely look into the Pro. It's a fantastic machine that will only get better as developers get used to coding for it.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

We had a separate conversation in our Madden league chat about it, so I'm 99% sure he's not kidding.

I'm with you. If I'd have seen then what I see now, I probably wouldn't have dropped so much cash on that PC, honestly.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I thought it was a sarcastic laugh but I didn't see any intentions from the writer to undermine the PC gamers at all, if that's how he felt. If anything, he was emphasizing that the visuals gap has narrowed down and if anyone wants to give it a good stretch for their hard earned buck, the PS4 Pro and future Scorpion machines will do more than just fine considering you have invested into a good 4K TV. That's how I understood the article, but hey if anyone gets a good tickle because they don't have an issue upgrading to the latest video card every 6 months, sound, memory, etc, more power to them.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Graphics wise it's now a toss up between the consoles and PC games. The only difference where PC's have the advantage is the extra bells and whistles you get to add to the graphics settings. I'm quite happy with F1 2016 on the PC and PK said the XONE version looks great.

So the bottom line is if you don't own a PC you won't feel like you're missing much game on wither the XONE or PS4. That said I was tempted to upgrade my PC but i'm going with the Scorpio instead. Most games today are optimized to run on the consoles anyways.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm not looking down my nose at the PS4 Pro. I don't see the justification for one at this point but that's me. Besides this article eventually mentions the XB Scorpio.

I found the article a good laugh not because it was about the PS4 pro but because it's the usual doom and gloom to PC gaming which I would argue is as good as its ever been. When I think of the sheer number of titles available on Steam that will never see the light of day on a console it's crazy. I also found it particularly amusing that he used cost as a selling point but then went on to say he expects consoles to put out new graphics iterations at the pace of graphic card manufacturers. You going to drop $300-$400 every two years for a console graphics upgrade? I don't upgrade my graphics card anywhere near that rate.

So sorry I wasn't laughing at the Pro's graphics capabilities, just the article in general. I think PC gaming will be just fine for the foreseeable future.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Oh, PC gaming won't ever go anywhere. But for gamers who may be using old PC's (a few guys on this board, I'm sure), and maybe can't update to all the latest crap every few years--something like the PS4 Pro will probably convert them entirely. And you know as well as I do that staying "current" on the PC market is a lot more expensive than the cost of a console every few years.

I could have purchased a pretty nice Motorcycle or economical car for the cost of my past 2 PC's, which were only like 3 years apart (mainly because I don't deal with all the headaches of parting the rig out and putting it together myself anymore).

But I think the article points out one thing very accurately: the graphics gap has shrunk quite a bit with the new console. Nothing else. PC gaming won't go anywhere, and of course there are like 5 million more titles on Steam...but for the "normal" gamer who may only play the AAA titles? It's not as intimidating, nor as expensive to get a box that has "in the same ballpark" graphics as a damned good PC.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:Oh, PC gaming won't ever go anywhere. But for gamers who may be using old PC's (a few guys on this board, I'm sure), and maybe can't update to all the latest crap every few years--something like the PS4 Pro will probably convert them entirely. And you know as well as I do that staying "current" on the PC market is a lot more expensive than the cost of a console every few years.

I could have purchased a pretty nice Motorcycle or economical car for the cost of my past 2 PC's, which were only like 3 years apart (mainly because I don't deal with all the headaches of parting the rig out and putting it together myself anymore).

But I think the article points out one thing very accurately: the graphics gap has shrunk quite a bit with the new console. Nothing else. PC gaming won't go anywhere, and of course there are like 5 million more titles on Steam...but for the "normal" gamer who may only play the AAA titles? It's not as intimidating, nor as expensive to get a box that has "in the same ballpark" graphics as a damned good PC.
I don't disagree with anything you stated except for maybe your classification of a normal gamer. :D I was just laughing at the typical the PC is in trouble undertone of the article.

I'm not sure how you got from our other conversation that I was looking down my nose at PS4 Pro owners when I was simply saying I don't see the need for me to get one. Factors for that are simple, it will be likely a year or more before any games take full advantage of it. My PC is fine and the type of games I play are better represented on the PC and I can wait a year to see what Scorpio is. If I was spending most of my gaming time on the PS4 I would easily upgrade but since I barely turn it on then it doesn't justify it.

I really don't care what people game on, for me I need one of everything (minus Nintendo) because I want to be able to play anything I want.
Follow Me on:

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Not directly, but unless I'm recalling somebody else's comment here, there was also that "sucker" post before, and then our conversation, then this one. It turns into a pattern. Doesn't matter a bit regardless. You might not even know you're doing it. :lol:

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

TCrouch wrote:Not directly, but unless I'm recalling somebody else's comment here, there was also that "sucker" post before, and then our conversation, then this one. It turns into a pattern. Doesn't matter a bit regardless. You might not even know you're doing it. :lol:
SportsDan has a long and storied history of saying he won't buy something and then buying it. Go look at the PSVR thread for one example. The sucker comment was a joke based on that which apparently wasn't a good joke.

Just to be clear, buy whatever you want it is your money. Enjoy whatever you buy.
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:
TCrouch wrote:Not directly, but unless I'm recalling somebody else's comment here, there was also that "sucker" post before, and then our conversation, then this one. It turns into a pattern. Doesn't matter a bit regardless. You might not even know you're doing it. :lol:
SportsDan has a long and storied history of saying he won't buy something and then buying it. Go look at the PSVR thread for one example. The sucker comment was a joke based on that which apparently wasn't a good joke.

Just to be clear, buy whatever you want it is your money. Enjoy whatever you buy.
Just to be clear about the VR, it truly was not on my radar to purchase. Was I intrigued by it? Definitely, but I could have waited for a price drop a year or so down the line once more games were established. It was an early holiday gift for my son, one of which I paid half. I think it's a cool piece of technology that we'll get quite a bit of fun from.

No hard feelings though. Admittedly, I do buy things on impulse as I really do like shiny new toys. The PS4 Pro however was not one of them. I planned ahead of time to sell my release day PS4 and Wii U. I'm quite happy with my purchase. Whether or not you think I made a sensible choice doesn't affect me one way or another.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I had to get an XB1S since I just got a 4K TV and we'll need another one. I found a great bundle online at Walmart.

1TB XB!S Gears Bundle, with SWBF an extra Wired controller (no idea why) and and Ultra HD Movie of you choice for $299 and tax, plus free shipping.
Follow Me on:

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Solid Xbox Games with Gold lineup for December, highlighted by Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition for Xbox One and Burnout Paradise for Xbox 360, with backward compatibility for Xbox One:

https://majornelson.com/2016/11/22/xbox ... mber-2016/
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

pk500 wrote:Solid Xbox Games with Gold lineup for December, highlighted by Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition for Xbox One and Burnout Paradise for Xbox 360, with backward compatibility for Xbox One:

https://majornelson.com/2016/11/22/xbox ... mber-2016/
Sleeping Dogs...damn I loved that game!
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Looking forward to Sleeping Dogs! Played it briefly when it first came out and got busy with other things.

I'll pick up Burnout Paradise when I catch up on my game queue.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Pretty damn good bundle on the XBox store...Titanfall2 AND Battlefield 1 for $75. Thats a damn good deal for two great games.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

Do discs no longer need to be in the Xbox to play games? I was playing Forza Horizon 3 for an hour and then wanted to switch to another game. I took out the disc but it was another game disc in there. I activated the game again and it worked without the disc. I don't have the digital copy.

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

I noticed the same thing with NBA the other day, but now it requires the disk.
GT = Wilk5280

Dave
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Dave »

Lancer wrote:Do discs no longer need to be in the Xbox to play games? I was playing Forza Horizon 3 for an hour and then wanted to switch to another game. I took out the disc but it was another game disc in there. I activated the game again and it worked without the disc. I don't have the digital copy.
I was able to play Horizon on my downstairs Xbox without the disc today, didn't realize it until I saw the disc sitting on a table upstairs. Weird.
xbl/psn tag: dave2eleven

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Wilk5280 wrote:I noticed the same thing with NBA the other day, but now it requires the disk.
NBA 2K had a free weekend.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Just watched the PlayStation experience 2016. They unveiled a new Last of Us part two trailer that looked pretty cool. They said it's early in development though. They also unveiled an MLB 17 The Show trailer. The only new unveiling was a retro mode because Ken Griffey Junior is on the cover. It also looks like they updated road to the show mode with some more interaction à la the NBA 2K series. I'll post the trailer once its online.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Diablo25 wrote:They also unveiled an MLB 17 The Show trailer. The only new unveiling was a retro mode because Ken Griffey Junior is on the cover. It also looks like they updated road to the show mode with some more interaction à la the NBA 2K series. I'll post the trailer once its online.
Please oh please be in 4K. It and NBA 2k17 being the reasons I upgraded my Slim to a Pro. :)