XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:That's cute that you guys are still using DVD's.
Three words: Trade. In. Values.

Especially when BB is offering a 50 or 100 percent bonus on trade-ins. Combine that with a GCU membership, and you can get new games at a lovely price.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Also a good chance that a year from now, a 4K upgrade cycle could start. Not necessarily in games but in video.

Supposedly a good number of 4K TVs sold this year.

A year from now, there could be a 4K Blu Ray spec as well as ATSC 3.0 finalized, though it's not clear how many broadcasters would transmit 4K programming.

Amazon Video and Netflix are streaming some 4K content but 4K Blu Ray for ultimate quality and reliability -- no caps, no buffering, etc.

So discs may not be dead yet.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

I will be back on the XBox train after Santa visits tonight (we get to open family presents tomorrow). Mrs. Claus forbade me from opening up my present early.

Unbelievable deal: $350 for the XBox, $100 for my 360 trade in, and another $50 gift card which I used toward Forza HORIZON 2. GameStop also giving $50 store credit for my PS3, and I'm going to trade in all my 360 and PS3 games (suck on that, digital downloads).

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

pk500 wrote:

Especially when BB is offering a 50 or 100 percent bonus on trade-ins. Combine that with a GCU membership, and you can get new games at a lovely price.
This. Not to mention that both companies need to build larger HD's and improve on the downloads. Here's a good read why I haven't gone all digital yet. A year after, I am about 70% discs and the rest digital.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... -overhaul/

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Brando70 wrote:I will be back on the XBox train after Santa visits tonight (we get to open family presents tomorrow). Mrs. Claus forbade me from opening up my present early.

Unbelievable deal: $350 for the XBox, $100 for my 360 trade in, and another $50 gift card which I used toward Forza HORIZON 2. GameStop also giving $50 store credit for my PS3, and I'm going to trade in all my 360 and PS3 games (suck on that, digital downloads).
Congrats Brando, maybe DSP Poker nights are going to see a revival. Can't wait for the Division
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:I will be back on the XBox train after Santa visits tonight (we get to open family presents tomorrow). Mrs. Claus forbade me from opening up my present early.

Right on! The console pendulum certainly is swinging toward Redmond around here. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

http://www.polygon.com/2014/12/23/74407 ... gamers-can

I found this story interesting even though I don't know what to make of it. If there really is a hacker group working to shut down the script kiddies and keep the system online I'm all for it.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

10spro wrote:
pk500 wrote:

This. Not to mention that both companies need to build larger HD's and improve on the downloads. Here's a good read why I haven't gone all digital yet. A year after, I am about 70% discs and the rest digital.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... -overhaul/
I agree the HD's need to be bigger, but it really has nothing to do with going digital anymore, since every game has to be installed thanks to the shitty BluRay winning the format war. It's freaking slow, and you can't play games from it.

Download speeds are coming, and probably sooner than ;later. Charter upgraded me from 30 mbps down to 100 mbps without me asking, and did it for the same price.

I want to go all digital, but really, for single player games like Alien, Wolfenstien, Ryse, and even AC, it's still significantly cheaper to buy it on disc and sell it later. Same goes for my sports games, but honestly, my laziness takes over. I bounce from FIFA to Madden to NBA 2K to NHL all the time. I'd rather have the game I want in and ready to go. My single player games just stay in the tray until I finish them, so I still get the benefit. Well, until my wife and daughter cut in. But my daughter is in full blown Skyrim mode, so she hash;t been an issue.

For Halo, FH2, Titanfall and such, the games will be played for several years, so I don't care about trade-in at all.

So I'm buying a 2TB soon, and rolling on. That will last me a good long time.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

We traded in a ton of games today at Gamestop.. our library is getting lower as we move more and more into the digital age.

I'm with you PK, I'd rather just click on a game and have it play instead of messing with DVDs in and out of the console. I think that trend will grow and continue to grow as it becomes more and more popular. Like Blockbuster, I think Gamestops will at some point, become extinct.
XBL GT: MizzouRah0971

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

I love the ability to just goto the game I want without switching out discs. Losing the trade in opportunity sucks but the convenience is hard not to like.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Diablo25 wrote:I love the ability to just goto the game I want without switching out discs. Losing the trade in opportunity sucks but the convenience is hard not to like.
I love the idea of the easy switch as I hate taking out the discs( How lazy we have become :P ) but getting $35 for a game you havent played in two months? Cannot be beat.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

XXXIV wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:I love the ability to just goto the game I want without switching out discs. Losing the trade in opportunity sucks but the convenience is hard not to like.
I love the idea of the easy switch as I hate taking out the discs( How lazy we have become :P ) but getting $35 for a game you havent played in two months? Cannot be beat.
We had some x360 games we hadn't even opened yet. Gamesuck said we had to open them and bring them back next time.. wtf?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

I definitely see both points of view. There are times when I feel like a 89-year-old -- instead of 49-year-old -- getting off the couch to swap discs, especially when I'm "altered." But I sure like the lower retail prices of new games after trades at BB.

Neither side is wrong. I just like saving money more than I dislike hoisting my ass off the sofa. :)

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

pk500 wrote:I definitely see both points of view. There are times when I feel like a 89-year-old -- instead of 49-year-old -- getting off the couch to swap discs, especially when I'm "altered." But I sure like the lower retail prices of new games after trades at BB.

Neither side is wrong. I just like saving money more than I dislike hoisting my ass off the sofa. :)
Hey, get me a beer while you're up! :D

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

MizzouRah wrote:We had some x360 games we hadn't even opened yet. Gamesuck said we had to open them and bring them back next time.. wtf?
I hate that place. On the one occasion I'd attempted to bring back something unopened without a receipt, the guy backed up with his hands in the air like I was transporting an ebola sample.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I think part of the problem is that in the past people were bringing in stolen games. So I think this is just a way for them to get around that. I can't remember the last time I was in one of their stores.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

pk500 wrote:

Yeah, GCU at Best Buy has pretty much ensured that I am going to stay mostly with physical media for the next two years. I like to pickup the major sports titles, a racing title or two, and a few other games each year. Considering the 20% savings up front (plus rewards for purchases and $10 rewards for pre-orders of top titles) and say 20-40% on trade in/resale and that savings can mount up to as much as $300-350 a year. Plus, I can get price matches for 45 days as Elite Plus and have probably saved enough in the past year for a new game on those alone. Best Buy is 2 miles from my house so it's not a big deal and if you order online those price matches are a phone call.

I have purchased a few digital games but even then I try to stock up on XBL or PSN credit when stores have those "buy 1 gift card get another 25% off sales." Maybe some day when I've consistently reached the 401k annual fed max, paid off my mortgage, and have my children's college fully funded I can feel comfortable enough to go entirely digital but until then I'll just have to suck it up and move my fat ass. I totally get paying for convenience and maybe there are folks that game enough that it really is worth it but I choose to spend my discretionary income in other ways.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

UGC has completley changed my gaming habits. I"m buying more games now than before just because of that 20 percent discount. For games I need the first day, it comes in handy. For those I can wait for, it's a real steal. I bought Forza 2 Horizon when it was on sale for 35. With the UGC kicking in, it was like 25 bucks or something. So definitely going for discs still, even though I am lazy like everyone else and wouldn't mind the ease of not getting up to switch discs. But i'll take $$ over inconvenience.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Opened my XB1 today. Very impressed so far, I even like the look of the system a lot more than I thought. I definitely need to dig into the UI more to learn about all the bells and whistles. I tried hooking up my DTV but the picture was freezing up and there was no sound, so I need to troubleshoot that. Messed around in Forza Horizon 2, which was awesome and a gorgeous game.

I reactivated my Brando70 account, so I think I should still be on anyone's friends list as long as I wasn't deleted.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Welcome to the dark side.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

Brando70 wrote:Opened my XB1 today. Very impressed so far, I even like the look of the system a lot more than I thought. I definitely need to dig into the UI more to learn about all the bells and whistles. I tried hooking up my DTV but the picture was freezing up and there was no sound, so I need to troubleshoot that. Messed around in Forza Horizon 2, which was awesome and a gorgeous game.

I reactivated my Brando70 account, so I think I should still be on anyone's friends list as long as I wasn't deleted.
I would suggest getting into the preview program for this. I finally got around to messing around in the preview program app, where they want you to answer surveys and such. They have a list of "quests" that build up points for I don't know what. But the quests basically walk you through a ton of the features the OS has that you might not come across without looking. Most of it meant less to me because I've been driving down into the OS for a year, but for new users, it could be really helpful.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

XXXIV wrote:Welcome to the dark side.
:twisted:
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

The ui takes time. I am liking it much better now. I added some colors to make it look lively.

Mizzu - u still have nhl for xb1?

If fh2 is the only game I buy for xb1, I'd be happy with that. Fun game for the whole family.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Welcome new xboners! (Sorry... really)

You guys might want to consider EA Access to get an instant game library. A one year subscription for $30 gets you access to the following games: UFC, Battlefield 4, Need for Speed Rivals, FIFA 14, Madden 25, Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare and Peggle 2.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Pete1210 wrote:Welcome new xboners! (Sorry... really)

You guys might want to consider EA Access to get an instant game library. A one year subscription for $30 gets you access to the following games: UFC, Battlefield 4, Need for Speed Rivals, FIFA 14, Madden 25, Plants v Zombies Garden Warfare and Peggle 2.

I was thinking about this but not sure. The library of free games I've already played or isn't that interesting to me. But if I get it for a month, do I still get to play the current year titles for 6 hours each? or is that with a full subscription. I wouldn't mind playing the current titles just to see how they are on XBO vs PS4.