XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Rodster »

Leebo33 wrote:Wasn't the Thompson drive issue with the Xbox fairly prevalent or am I just an unlucky bastard? 0/2 with my first two Microsoft consoles and keeping my fingers crossed on the XBO. Just the fact that I am stupid enough to throw money at Microsoft given my own history shows how much I loved both the Xbox and especially the 360 when the freakin' things were working.
Yup those were a problem but Sony has put out several turds as well. The first Playstation in '96 was known to overheat and many resorted to turning over the PSX to play games. The original PS2's were known for gears in the tray stripping out so the tray wouldn't open, they were also known for defective lens where they couldn't read the blue DVD's. The PS3 was also known for defective BR lens going out so it wouldn't read any discs in the drive and they also suffered from the YLOD syndrome.

Eventually Sony got around to fixing the problems with new models. So to say MS only puts out faulty hardware, well that's not true because so does Sony. Eventually they get around to addressing it with new revisions of the hardware, It's all part of being an early adopter.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Eventually Sony got around to fixing the problems with new models. So to say MS only puts out faulty hardware, well that's not true because so does Sony. Eventually they get around to addressing it with new revisions of the hardware, It's all part of being an early adopter.
There's a big difference tho. Yes, every electronic device has failures, some more than others. Then there are some that are so epically bad, that it can't be ignored. I'd venture a guess that a good 75-90% of the first year or two run of Xbox 360s died...obviously there's no way to prove that, but anecdotally, everyone on this board (it seems) has had to get theirs replaced (and some like me, 5 times). So...while a lot of people have had issues with other consoles, that's to be expected. The 360 was the first game system that I had to have replaced (and I had the PS1, two PS2s and two PS3s). So yeah...everyone has failures, but with the 360 it was nearly a guarantee.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well I put in game discs tonight and started swapping in and out discs, DVD's, etc and no errors. So I have no clue if it was fluke or not. I'll likely just return it to Amazon and order a non-Day One, honestly I don't even know WTF the day one got me besides a controllers that says day 1. Because I'm sure if I don't then the thing will stop working completely next week.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

The achievement and controller is all you get for Day One. The consoles are exactly the same.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Eventually Sony got around to fixing the problems with new models. So to say MS only puts out faulty hardware, well that's not true because so does Sony. Eventually they get around to addressing it with new revisions of the hardware, It's all part of being an early adopter.
There's a big difference tho. Yes, every electronic device has failures, some more than others. Then there are some that are so epically bad, that it can't be ignored. I'd venture a guess that a good 75-90% of the first year or two run of Xbox 360s died...obviously there's no way to prove that, but anecdotally, everyone on this board (it seems) has had to get theirs replaced (and some like me, 5 times). So...while a lot of people have had issues with other consoles, that's to be expected. The 360 was the first game system that I had to have replaced (and I had the PS1, two PS2s and two PS3s). So yeah...everyone has failures, but with the 360 it was nearly a guarantee.
I bought a 360 within the first year of release and it never failed me other than having to get the DVD drive replaced after at least 3 or so years. I had it until about a year ago when I sold it. I suppose I was pretty lucky.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Well I returned my XB1 with Amazon and ordered a new one. I didn't want to take a chance, here is hoping this one is flawless
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

LAking wrote:I bought a 360 within the first year of release and it never failed me other than having to get the DVD drive replaced after at least 3 or so years. I had it until about a year ago when I sold it. I suppose I was pretty lucky.
Lol. It was perfect except when it stopped working. I see.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

I haven't used my XB1's disc drive for more than maybe 15 minutes tops so far. All my games are digital downloads. At this pace it would take me months before I realized my drive was bad. Ugh.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Heehee.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmyHjoL5ok#t=35[/youtube]

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmyHjoL5ok#t=35[/youtube]

Seriously? I give up!?!?!/
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

Spooky wrote:Heehee.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmyHjoL5ok#t=35[/youtube]

[youtube]www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTmyHjoL5ok#t=35[/youtube]

Seriously? I give up!?!?!/
You just needed to take the "s" out of the https

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
LAking wrote:I bought a 360 within the first year of release and it never failed me other than having to get the DVD drive replaced after at least 3 or so years. I had it until about a year ago when I sold it. I suppose I was pretty lucky.
Lol. It was perfect except when it stopped working. I see.
It's perfectly normal for an optical drive to fail after 3 or more years of heavy use. It's a mechanical piece of hardware, after all. I shipped it to MS and got the same console back and it never failed me after that. So yeah, it was a very reliable console, all things considered.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well there are rumors of a white X1 without any optical drive, which would be cheaper.

Apparently this configuration has been produced and given to employees. So MS just has to produce more and then sell them.

Of course you can't trade games on a download-only device so it'll be interesting to see if GameStop carries it or pushes it.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Aristo wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:They made two consoles...one was probably the biggest consumer electronic failure ever from a reliability/build quality standpoint. That perception carries a ton of weight.
Exactly. But it is not an accurate perception.
I know one study that says the perception is completely accurate:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xbox-3 ... 0-6216691/

Almost a 24% failure rate in this study compared to 10 percent for PS3 for the launch units. There's a reason why MS took the unprecedented step of extending the warranty for three years, and it wasn't because the RROD was just a fairy tale.

I loved my 360 and XBox and played both a lot. But they were not well-built electronics, even by shoddy console standards. My first XBox bit it within a month of buying it, and my original 360 got the RROD as well. Even when I got a replacement 360, that thing sounded like a plane taking off from a carrier every time the disc drive spun up. I ditched that for an Elite and it was still louder than hell when the disc spun up. On the other hand, I never had issues with my launch-day PS2 and my 40G PS3.

Also, the original XBox had one of the worst controllers ever. I was so glad I didn't buy one until after the controller S was released.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

24% seems extremely low. There's no way that can be accurate given the rate of attrition on this site (~100%). :roll: Maybe we just use our consoles too much.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:24% seems extremely low. There's no way that can be accurate given the rate of attrition on this site (~100%). :roll: Maybe we just use our consoles too much.
Ha, that's what I thought too. Also was surprised at the 10% for the PS3 -- given how much it cost, having 1 out of 10 give up the ghost is way too high. Even with the PS4 launch issues, the QA and build quality for both consoles seem significantly improved compared to the 360 and PS3 launches.

MERACE
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by MERACE »

I'm trying to decide which next-gen console to purchase as I don't have the funds for both consoles. :?

For the guys that have purchased both consoles, if you had to get rid of one, which would it be and why?

Thanks,

-MERACE

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

MERACE wrote:I'm trying to decide which next-gen console to purchase as I don't have the funds for both consoles. :?

For the guys that have purchased both consoles, if you had to get rid of one, which would it be and why?

Thanks,

-MERACE
I'm not trying to be a d***** but I think that has been covered multiple times in this gigantic thread. I would get rid of my XB1 without blinking an eye before my PS4 and this is coming from a pro Xbox guy before this started.
Follow Me on:

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I finally spent some real time with Powerstar Golf tonight, and that is a fun game of golf. It far exceeded any expectations I had. The clincher is how well done Rivals Mode is. Plus, I've had no problem accumulating 15K XP to grab packs for free. The game is a ton of fun, and you really only need to spend money on Booster packs if you are crazy impatient.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:
MERACE wrote:I'm trying to decide which next-gen console to purchase as I don't have the funds for both consoles. :?

Thanks,

-MERACE
I'm not trying to be a d***** but I think that has been covered multiple times in this gigantic thread. I would get rid of my XB1 without blinking an eye before my PS4 and this is coming from a pro Xbox guy before this started.
Yup...exactly. PS4 if I can only have one. It's not even close. Hell, I don't even have any games for my XB1 right now...it's a workout, skype and breaking bad (wife hasn't seen it yet) machine at this point.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Yep Merace, as I was telling during hockey the trick is to get the Dragons on the same boat, but owning both consoles presently, I would stick with the PS4.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

10spro wrote:Yep Merace, as I was telling during hockey the trick is to get the Dragons on the same boat, but owning both consoles presently, I would stick with the PS4.
Clearly I'm very much in the minority, but I almost never turn my PS4 on, whereas I play the Xbone just about every day. There just aren't any games pulling me to PS4 so far. FIFA on Xbone gives me zero reason to wish I had it on PS4, nor does Battlefield, and of course Forza is exclusive. That said, I have yet to even open my PS4 copy of Assassin's Creed, and once the price drops I will probably pick up Tomb Raider on PS4 simply due to the idea that it's the superior version. But as I said, with FIFA or Madden or Battlefield, I never one time have thought "damn, I really wish I'd chosen PS4 for these games."

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

After 6 weeks of having both systems it's pretty much shaking out how I expected. I'm playing PS4 much more because my Xbone is in the basement as the hub of entertainment in a room that people are only in 25% of the time. My kids are still much more interested in Minecraft than any game on Xbone. And when we are in the basement we are much more likely to be playing foosball, darts or watching TV. I play the PS4 upstairs in the bedroom or I can carry it in one hand down to the basement and set it up in 5 seconds if I want to play on a bigger TV. I can't do the opposite with the Xbone because it is just too big. I don't think the differences in game versions are that big of a deal, but since the only debate is if the Xbone versions are at best equal then I am going PS4.

However, even with that all said the Xbone is indispensable in my household for Xbox fitness and Zumba World Party alone. Xbox fitness is buggy (there is nothing worse than getting kicked to the main screen 40 minutes into a 49 minute workout) but it is fantastic. I've lost 15 pounds this year already.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Zeppo wrote:
10spro wrote:Yep Merace, as I was telling during hockey the trick is to get the Dragons on the same boat, but owning both consoles presently, I would stick with the PS4.
Clearly I'm very much in the minority, but I almost never turn my PS4 on, whereas I play the Xbone just about every day. There just aren't any games pulling me to PS4 so far. FIFA on Xbone gives me zero reason to wish I had it on PS4, nor does Battlefield, and of course Forza is exclusive. That said, I have yet to even open my PS4 copy of Assassin's Creed, and once the price drops I will probably pick up Tomb Raider on PS4 simply due to the idea that it's the superior version. But as I said, with FIFA or Madden or Battlefield, I never one time have thought "damn, I really wish I'd chosen PS4 for these games."
Zep you are muddying the waters. :P

I am still in no hurry to buy one. No games I want except Forza. Next games I want are Dark Souls II and the South Park game. Both will be on the old 360.

Probably(hopefully) will wait til NHL 15 hits. I will get both eventually but I will only need the one where the Dragons are. Masochist that I am.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Yup...exactly. PS4 if I can only have one. It's not even close. Hell, I don't even have any games for my XB1 right now...it's a workout, skype and breaking bad (wife hasn't seen it yet) machine at this point.
Since the Xbox One is all that and has the same games as the PS4, plus a far better slate of exclusives now, and coming up over the next year, it seems like you would be making a case for it instead. It sure doesn't make me feel like I am missing anything by not getting a PS4.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

To muddy the waters even further;

I have not turned on my XBOX ONE for several weeks since I finished Peggle 2 and that crappy top-down Halo game. I have a $500 Best Buy gift card earmarked for a PS4 but have no interest in picking one up until Infamous comes out and even then I'll probably wait a month or two.

Instead, I'm playing my 360 (Diablo III!!! Ohmigod what a difference direct control makes!!) and my PC. There are some really, really good 360 direct download deals each week on XBL.