XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Spooky »

TCrouch wrote:Hitting the share button allows you to upload things it's recorded.

for more info:

http://howto.cnet.com/8301-11310_39-576 ... station-4/

"Recording
The PlayStation 4 is always recording gameplay, whether you like it or not. The system will create a video clip of the previous 15 minutes of your gameplay once you hit the Share button. This clip can then be edited, saved, and shared with others from the share menu.

Audio from your microphone can be enabled on video clips by entering the share settings and selecting the video clip settings."

If you hit share, you can choose to edit the video clip. So it's recording everything. I've only livestreamed and haven't tried to upload video shots, but based on everything I've read, you just double-tap share to start a specific record point, or edit the previous 15 minutes to create a clip of your desired spot.
Thanks TC. That's how I understood it working on the PS4 as well. The XB1 is always recording as well but just the last 5 minutes of gameplay not 15. But what I was really curious about is if the PS4 saves highlight clips automatically (no user initiation) like the XB1 does?
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

They only allow uploading to Facebook though, no Youtube, DropBox or whatever.

Not everyone wants to deal with FB ...

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Spooky wrote:Thanks TC. That's how I understood it working on the PS4 as well. The XB1 is always recording as well but just the last 5 minutes of gameplay not 15. But what I was really curious about is if the PS4 saves highlight clips automatically (no user initiation) like the XB1 does?
I see some "upload failed" messages from time to time, but I don't know if that's an actual video or not. To my knowledge, you'd have to hit the share button to save the clip, or it's going to drop off the back end since it's not saving little snippets here and there like the XB1 does.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

wco81 wrote:They only allow uploading to Facebook though, no Youtube, DropBox or whatever.

Not everyone wants to deal with FB ...
Exactly. Sony says that will change in the future with an update. I hope it's soon.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

The downside for now is the PS4 only allows export of thoise video clips to Facebook. I have no idea what XB1 allows besides Skydrive. It's just pretty stupid that neither support Youtube. I also think the PS4 editing features are not that great and were a little hard to find at first.

I do like it saves screen shots to twitter though.

EDIT: If I only had read the whole thread. :)
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I did hear though that there is a way to upload to FB and then download it back to your local drive.

Then you could edit it more easily on a computer and then upload to where you really want it?

Lot of work though to share video games clips. I don't mind viewing some to see what a game is like before buying but I have little interest in making and sharing clips.

A more useful feature would be some kind of spectator mode. Some games like BF4 have them but sports games do not, though there's no reason they couldn't have OTP slots filled by people who would just spectate. However, FIFA and Madden really don't give you such options or the flexibility for people to allow or kick out unwanted parties.

Hell give spectators the ability to save clips and then upload.

Some of the EA games let you save clips to the easports.com site, which is pretty horrible as far as logging in. I can understand MS not liking the idea of sending its users to Youtube but Sony really shouldn't have any problems doing so.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I thought the XBox One was supposed to be the console with draconian online check-ins? Just went to continue my career in NBA2k on the PS4 and it said I couldn't continue without logging into PSN, and I can't log in to PSN because my password has apparently 'expired'. Resetting it requires receipt of an email that Sony claims can take "up to 24 hours to receive".

So I have a $400 paperweight for the next 24 hours.

Bullshit.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I think I will be going the HDMI splitter route in order to bypass the Xbone while watching TV. I am already NOT getting all the features as advertised and the Mrs is not happy at all.

Has any of you try to split the cables and is there any loss in signals? Apparently, there's a difference between a $50 dollar splitter and the higher end one around $120.

Yes, this Xbone is causing this household more money than originally planned.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Has anyone figured out how to log back into the PS4 after resetting the password? I reset my password from the Playstation website and every time I go to log into the PS4 it ask me I need to reset my password. What a PIA these consoles have become. :twisted:

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

10spro wrote:I think I will be going the HDMI splitter route in order to bypass the Xbone while watching TV. I am already NOT getting all the features as advertised and the Mrs is not happy at all.

Has any of you try to split the cables and is there any loss in signals? Apparently, there's a difference between a $50 dollar splitter and the higher end one around $120.

I got a cheapo $20 or so splitter that's working fine (so far). I honestly can't identify any signal loss through either the leg that goes through the One or around.

OOS at Amazon at the moment, but I got it with two 3' HDMI cables for a hair under $30

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HXFARS

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I do not understand why MS made this s*** so hard for people or why they messed with Live. Messing with Live is beyond stupid. It is what defined the last generation.

I do not understand why people who bought a ps4 cause it was cheaper would spend money on the camera. Defeats the purpose no?

I just dont understand..... :?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

GameSeven wrote:
10spro wrote:I think I will be going the HDMI splitter route in order to bypass the Xbone while watching TV. I am already NOT getting all the features as advertised and the Mrs is not happy at all.

I got a cheapo $20 or so splitter that's working fine (so far). I honestly can't identify any signal loss through either the leg that goes through the One or around.

OOS at Amazon at the moment, but I got it with two 3' HDMI cables for a hair under $30

Cool Seven, I'll just get the basic one then. Watching TV never got so complicated, at least for the wife but since there are some key TV integration still not working here, I just wished that MS did not release the Xbone here and have all the patches and media agreements done first. Or at least to notify the general public north of the border that those things would be fixed in a near future instead of us doing the homework ourselves.

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

10spro wrote:
GameSeven wrote:

Cool Seven, I'll just get the basic one then. Watching TV never got so complicated, at least for the wife but since there are some key TV integration still not working here, I just wished that MS did not release the Xbone here and have all the patches and media agreements done first. Or at least to notify the general public north of the border that those things would be fixed in a near future instead of us doing the homework ourselves.
I not sure I understand. Why is watching TV complicated? What I do is "go to TV" on the Xbone, and from that point watching TV is exactly the same as it always has been. The only thing that is different is the audio because the Xbone won't pass through the original Dolby Digital signal from the cable box, but in every other way watching TV is exactly the same as it was before I plugged in the Xbone - same remote, same guide on the cable box, same list on the DVR section of the cable box, etc etc.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

XXXIV wrote: I do not understand why people who bought a ps4 cause it was cheaper would spend money on the camera. Defeats the purpose no?
This baffles me. It was pretty much the rally cry of the PS fans back when the 2 systems were announced. Now people are buying them so they can record themselves playing video games.

I really don't get it either.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Danimal wrote:
XXXIV wrote: I do not understand why people who bought a ps4 cause it was cheaper would spend money on the camera. Defeats the purpose no?
This baffles me. It was pretty much the rally cry of the PS fans back when the 2 systems were announced. Now people are buying them so they can record themselves playing video games.

I really don't get it either.
Agreed. Go into the live broadcasts on the PS4 and watch some of the "Live Shows" people are doing. It's actually pretty pathetic. I get broadcasting your game but some people are just streaming themselves on the couch showing the world how uneducated and ignorant they are.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

GameSeven wrote:

Monoprice has all that stuff for even cheaper.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Zeppo, as I posted a couple of days ago, one of the key features in the Xbone is the integration of the 'One Guide' feature with a cable/satellite company which is non existent here, therefore the lack of voice commands to instruct Xbone what to watch, what not. We still have to rely on our TV guide straight from the cable box instead of the Xbone. Fair enough. Certain features are not available here yet, so in my wife's and young kids minds there's an extra step to watching TV now, which is by activating the Xbone at the same time while not understanding the interface, not to mention how to use the controller.

So right now, the Kinect voice and Xbone controller navigation won't work with our TV receiver. Therefore, my need for a splitter to bypass the Xbone in order for them to use the regular TV remote and do what they were used to doing, until those features work properly in Canada.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Not sure if this has been mentioned but this is an intriguing game due some time in 2014:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/09/09/capco ... deep-down/

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

At least MS is aware of these issues and hope to rectify some of them.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... m-features

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

10spro wrote:At least MS is aware of these issues and hope to rectify some of them.

I'm pretty shocked this laundry list of features ISN'T available in the Xbone:

Top Xbox One feature requests
Xbox Guide functionality to return
Friends as a tab on the home screen
Notifications when friends come online, you receive a friend request
Hard drive management screen
USB support for storage/media
View (and easily rate) recent players
Smarter Kinect phrases ('Play Forza', with disambiguation for duplicates)
Party chat to be simplified, on by default in parties
Set game chat to TV, headset (or both)
Controller battery indicator
System-wide controller options (rumble off, layout save)
Voice messages
Background music
Custom backgrounds
Ability to see Xbox One games/achievements on Xbox 360

Development and software updates hopefully will add these functions.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

pk500 wrote:
10spro wrote:At least MS is aware of these issues and hope to rectify some of them.

I'm pretty shocked this laundry list of features ISN'T available in the Xbone:

Top Xbox One feature requests
Xbox Guide functionality to return
Friends as a tab on the home screen
Notifications when friends come online, you receive a friend request
Hard drive management screen
USB support for storage/media
View (and easily rate) recent players
Smarter Kinect phrases ('Play Forza', with disambiguation for duplicates)
Party chat to be simplified, on by default in parties
Set game chat to TV, headset (or both)
Controller battery indicator
System-wide controller options (rumble off, layout save)
Voice messages
Background music
Custom backgrounds
Ability to see Xbox One games/achievements on Xbox 360

Development and software updates hopefully will add these functions.
Wow. yeah - those make things look really bad. My gaming life is so limited right now that I have not run into most of those yet. I don't think I have even tried to meet up with a friend and join a game yet.

Personally I'm glad I am not seeing notifications every time a friend comes online or I get a friend request. I think it's smart since MS is aiming to be more of a media machine. But, what they really should have done was given us a substantial set of notification options to choose ourselves. So those that don't want to be bothered by anything when they are watching Netflix with their spouse can be in peace but those that don't want to miss a moment of possible action could see everything all the time.

I also really like that I can use my Kinect for in game voice chatting and it seems to work surprisingly well BUT it is astonishing that there is not option to mute it when gaming. Even when I use my headset it's typically muted 80% of the time until I want to say something. The fact that there is no mute option for Kinect also means that any conversation in the room will trigger it. So weird.

As of right now though, I am considering these growing pains and still feel that they pale in comparison to the ambitious and neat features that the XB1 is trying to bring to the table.

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

You can mute the Kinect but they need to make it easier to switch it on and off.

Go to settings - Kinect - untick "Use Kinect Microphone For Chat"

Also - I mainly lurk here (been for years) but if anyone wants to add me on XBL my tag is bakes716. As a warning I generally suck at most games.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Bakes wrote:You can mute the Kinect but they need to make it easier to switch it on and off.

Also - I mainly lurk here (been for years) but if anyone wants to add me on XBL my tag is bakes716. As a warning I generally suck at most games.
Thanks Bakes. I knew about that setting. I was really referring to the ability to mute on the fly. When I'm playing BF4 and using the Kinect as my chat mic and my wife comes in to talk about what's for dinner, I really don't need the rest of the gaming community involved.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
GameSeven wrote:

Monoprice has all that stuff for even cheaper.
With shipping compared to Prime, monoprice was higher for my small order, but yeah, I typically buy this stuff there.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Bakes wrote:You can mute the Kinect but they need to make it easier to switch it on and off.

I agree that more control over Kinect through state commands is necessary.

I rather like the Youtube app for casting videos from a paired device to the TV. However, and perhaps this is the app not the Kinect per se, it is frequent that the app thinks you are beginning a command and puts a variety of voice options on the screen, obscuring the view unless you for either several seconds or until you say "stop listening". And this must be happening with either background noise or noise from the video, because it frequently occurs with nothing *close to* an "Xbox" voice prompt.

Something like a "Xbox, enable/disable voice" command would be useful to get Kinect to be dormant when you know you don't want voice command interruption.