XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by Danimal »

So finally hooked up my XB1 and am not having great success with the voice commands.

I also am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how you tell it to stop watching TV. I can snap it once it is on but short of powering off my DTV receiver I can figure out how to tell it to stop watching
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Diablo25 wrote:
Sudz wrote:I watched Macca's videos for BF4. Does it really look that cloudy and shitty or is it due to the video?
The video definitely gets 'washed out' when it gets uploaded. It's obviously compressed. The game looks gorgeous on the console. That being said, the PS4 is the stronger system but graphically there isn't that wide of a gap. I have both and the graphics are near identical.
That's one game I don't have on both---I only have BF4 on the Xbox, and in the opening level of the campaign where you're running across the little construction site or whatever, that looked like ass IMO. I thought it would have been an absolutely gorgeous 360 game, but for XB1, I don't think so. If the PS4 version looks like that, too, then it must just be the game engine.

It's unfair to compare it due to BF4 being wide open maps and CoD Ghosts being a lot more linear, but Ghosts looks about ten times better on my PS4 than BF4 does on the XB1. Wonder if Ghosts looks significantly better than BF4 on the XB1, too?

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

TCrouch wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:
Sudz wrote:I watched Macca's videos for BF4. Does it really look that cloudy and shitty or is it due to the video?
The video definitely gets 'washed out' when it gets uploaded. It's obviously compressed. The game looks gorgeous on the console. That being said, the PS4 is the stronger system but graphically there isn't that wide of a gap. I have both and the graphics are near identical.
That's one game I don't have on both---I only have BF4 on the Xbox, and in the opening level of the campaign where you're running across the little construction site or whatever, that looked like ass IMO. I thought it would have been an absolutely gorgeous 360 game, but for XB1, I don't think so. If the PS4 version looks like that, too, then it must just be the game engine.

It's unfair to compare it due to BF4 being wide open maps and CoD Ghosts being a lot more linear, but Ghosts looks about ten times better on my PS4 than BF4 does on the XB1. Wonder if Ghosts looks significantly better than BF4 on the XB1, too?
I also have Ghosts on the PS4 and it is pretty. Frame rates, etc. always seemed better on COD last gen (when compared to BF4). KillZone looks awesome on the PS4. First party games usually do. My point is simple. The games look great on both consoles. The upload videos definitely strip textures, etc. you can't judge the games on those videos. Period. I'd be willing to bet if you were handed a generic controller and were told to guess what system you were playing it would be tough to tell. Not impossible but tough. I don't waste too much energy on it. Both systems will have beautiful games. Just my 2 cents.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

In the opening level of the campaign where you're doing that construction site--do you think that looks good?

I'm just trying to get a baseline for our discussion here :)

Because the only games I have on both are not first party (obviously), and those are decidedly different. I could absolutely, without a doubt tell you which version I was playing in seconds. BF4 is one I only have on one system, though.

Ryse, on the other hand, is maybe the best looking game I've ever seen. So it's not that the XB1 can't do it. It's that third party companies don't seem to want to give a sh*t to devoting the extra time on multi-platform games. They just code the same thing on both systems, turn on AA and AF on PS4, and ship that crap out the door (so far).
Last edited by TCrouch on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

TCrouch wrote:In the opening level of the campaign where you're doing that construction site--do you think that looks good?

I'm just trying to get a baseline for our discussion here :)
I've only played online. I haven't touched the campaign yet. The comparison videos on all the sites look almost identical. Hell, I actually thought the colors on the XB1 version looked better. It's so close it's pretty much a non issue...to me at least.
Last edited by Diablo25 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Ah, ok. Thanks anyway!

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Danimal wrote:So finally hooked up my XB1 and am not having great success with the voice commands.

I also am pulling my hair out trying to figure out how you tell it to stop watching TV. I can snap it once it is on but short of powering off my DTV receiver I can figure out how to tell it to stop watching
Dan,

Re-run the voice calibration and this time crank the music. I'm talking teenage headbanger level. It will make the machine much more sensitive to the commands. In fact one of the things that has surprised me about the voice commands is how conversational they can be. No need to raise my voice at all.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Thanks Rob I'll try that if I can find it.

I accidentally put in my wrong skype ID and I can't find a way to change that either. My first 2 hours with the XB1 haven't been as nice as the PS4
Follow Me on:

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

RobVarak wrote:
Danimal wrote:So finally hooked up my XB1 and am not having great success with the voice commands.

Dan,

Re-run the voice calibration and this time crank the music. I'm talking teenage headbanger level. It will make the machine much more sensitive to the commands. In fact one of the things that has surprised me about the voice commands is how conversational they can be. No need to raise my voice at all.
I second this. I cranked up the audio during calibration (if you turn it up too loud, it will tell you turn it down & start again). Works much better now.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Danimal wrote:Thanks Rob I'll try that if I can find it.

I accidentally put in my wrong skype ID and I can't find a way to change that either. My first 2 hours with the XB1 haven't been as nice as the PS4
Yeah, and you aren't gonna be Skyping on the PS4, either, are ya??? :D
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

greggsand wrote:I second this. I cranked up the audio during calibration (if you turn it up too loud, it will tell you turn it down & start again). Works much better now.
Yes, this. It's much more receptive now. Also, it takes a little behavior training to know what you can say and where. The onboard training bit helps.

That said, watching TV is an app, and you can always use "Xbox, go home" to return to your dash. Even so, TV will continue to play in the large central box as it is your most recent app. Selecting something else like a game or any other dashboard app, like the store, or anything, really, will get rid of it.

Edit: After going to the dashboard, you can highlight the 'TV' app window, bring up the context menu with the "menu" (start) button and select "quit"

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

No it doesn't look that bad, a couple of things;

i. YouTube sets the default playback resolution to shitty 360p or something. Play the videos back but set it to 720p if you haven't.
ii. Even at 720p it's still a crappy capture compared to the real thing.

There's a much better capture comparing PS4 and XBONE versions of BF4 done by Digital Foundry, again set the resolution to the highest (1080p) when you play it back.

That said, the PC version absolutely destroys the XBONE version. Not only the resolution but the visual effects, textures, particle effects, lighting and even the colors pop more on the PC version. IMO BF4 on the PC looks way better than any of the next-gen launch titles. I mentioned in my review that the tropical thunderstorm on the Paracel Storm map is jaw dropping on the PC, on the XBONE it's just some choppy water.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

GameSeven wrote: One thing I've noticed that is interesting for XBO...

Where I used to (on 360) be able to easily set up a local profile for my youngest (nearly 7), I now had to create an outlook.com email "for her" that will just be dormant for all intents and purposes.

*But*, here is a good thing... Since it auto recognizes her, by way of of Kinect, as long as she is signed in, the whole App Store front end changes, even if I'm the active user. Ryse and Eminem give way to Zoo Tycoon and Little Mermaid.
I thought I'd play around with this and set up a profile for my daughter who is 3 and a half years old - blew her and my wife's mind when she walks in front of the TV and it logged her in. So cool.

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Macca00 wrote:
No it doesn't look that bad, a couple of things;

i. YouTube sets the default playback resolution to shitty 360p or something. Play the videos back but set it to 720p if you haven't.
ii. Even at 720p it's still a crappy capture compared to the real thing.

There's a much better capture comparing PS4 and XBONE versions of BF4 done by Digital Foundry, again set the resolution to the highest (1080p) when you play it back.

That said, the PC version absolutely destroys the XBONE version. Not only the resolution but the visual effects, textures, particle effects, lighting and even the colors pop more on the PC version. IMO BF4 on the PC looks way better than any of the next-gen launch titles. I mentioned in my review that the tropical thunderstorm on the Paracel Storm map is jaw dropping on the PC, on the XBONE it's just some choppy water.
Is this right? the XO one seems crisper to me and the ps4 has the cloudy filter from what im hearing here they have the videos reversed.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

(Also posted in For Sale)

I've already grown weary of the wife's complaining about my having both systems and using the XBox to control TV. So, I thought I'd offer here first before heading to eBay for a (hopefully) big profit...or changing my mind...

For Sale:

Xbox One
Play & Charge Kit

The only games I bought were Forza and Zoo Tycoon but both as downloads so I guess they are not transferable.

PM me if interested.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Thanks to everyone for answering my question about DTV and the XB1.. I really appreciate it.

I sold my ps3 to my brother and once I pick a next gen system (I'm still torn) I'll also trade in my x360 and games, so I should be able to get 4-5 games to start off with.

Great thread though.. excellent information for someone like me who still hasn't made up his mind yet. :)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Eat, drink and game!

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, I finally got to setting up the 'One' but I did have problems getting the video and audio while trying to watch TV. Either it came on and off, and the audio was distorted or nothing at all. I do have a Karman/Harmon A/V receiver and had the HDMI out from the Xbox to it while the TV box HDMI was hooked up to the HDMI in from the Xbox. Just played Fifa and the sound and picture was crystal clear but just could not watch TV. At this point, I can't think of anything else that I've done wrong, tried setting the HDMI audio to uncompressed but no cigar.

If any of you gurus have any suggestions, I am all ears...

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The wife was kind enough to pick up a PS+ membership at Walmart for $30. I probably should have had her get two.....oh well.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

sportdan30 wrote:The wife was kind enough to pick up a PS+ membership at Walmart for $30. I probably should have had her get two.....oh well.
I grabbed two. They said I could buy as many as I wanted at that price, but I'm sure I have to die sooner or later. 8)
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Murph wrote:
sportdan30 wrote:The wife was kind enough to pick up a PS+ membership at Walmart for $30. I probably should have had her get two.....oh well.
I grabbed two. They said I could buy as many as I wanted at that price, but I'm sure I have to die sooner or later. 8)
:lol:

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

10spro wrote:Well, I finally got to setting up the 'One' but I did have problems getting the video and audio while trying to watch TV. Either it came on and off, and the audio was distorted or nothing at all. I do have a Karman/Harmon A/V receiver and had the HDMI out from the Xbox to it while the TV box HDMI was hooked up to the HDMI in from the Xbox. Just played Fifa and the sound and picture was crystal clear but just could not watch TV. At this point, I can't think of anything else that I've done wrong, tried setting the HDMI audio to uncompressed but no cigar.

If any of you gurus have any suggestions, I am all ears...
There is a very helpful, albeit typically nerdy and dense, thread at AVS forum containing a lot of tips and fixes for XB1 installs. I'd check there. Too bourboned to link, but it's not hard to find. :)
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So the whole NFL App on XB1 doesn't work with DTV?

I am impressed with the Fitness stuff on XB1 but the TV integration is getting old quick,
Follow Me on:

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Danimal wrote:So the whole NFL App on XB1 doesn't work with DTV?

I am impressed with the Fitness stuff on XB1 but the TV integration is getting old quick,
This may sum up some of your frustrations:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-576 ... fe-easier/

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Danimal wrote:So the whole NFL App on XB1 doesn't work with DTV?
Much like the ESPN3 service, it's tied to certain providers. Considering how cozy DTV and NFL are, it's odd that DTV isn't one of them.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Played a PS4 last night at Target. I now understand the raves over the PS4 controller. Very comfy.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425