XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by dbdynsty25 »

To all new PS+ users (because of the free month subscription included w/ the PS4), on black friday, they are discounting the year's subscription from 50 to 30 bucks. Time to subscribe.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/ ... d-ps-plus/

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:To all new PS+ users (because of the free month subscription included w/ the PS4), on black friday, they are discounting the year's subscription from 50 to 30 bucks. Time to subscribe.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/11/ ... d-ps-plus/
That's a sweet deal. Might grab two!

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

TCrouch wrote:I'll post more tomorrow, but I will say that I spent most of the weekend direct comparing games on the PS4 and the XBO. Those who say you won't really see a difference between the two just haven't really checked closely. The PS4 looks noticeably better on the same TV on the only 2 games that I have on both--Assassin's Creed 4 and Madden. Madden's lighting and saturation is off, and compared to the PS, you can see aliasing all over the place. When I look at the PS4 version, it's very smooth, the lighting is believable and the shadows look great. Madden on XB1 looks incrementally better than the 360 on an identical TV with the same settings.

Comparing AC4, the trees have this horrible 'shimmer' effect on the XB1, and again--jaggies all over compared to the PS4 version. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to me if I had never seen the PS4 versions, but it's VERY noticeable on side-by-side setups. Everything on the PS4 is crisper, smoother, but slightly washed-out looking. The color palettes are just different on the 2 systems. I'm already irritated by apparently not being able to make offline profiles on my XB1, and not being able to manage saves on my system (wanted to restart my Forza career, and, guess what? You can't. It's in the cloud, with no reset ability..so if you let your son and his buddy tear it up during a sleepover like I did, now all of their backwards-driving and wrecking is part of my drivatar. Great planning by the dev team to force us to lock into one permanent save).

Bottom line, I'm still in sort of disbelief, but I'm leaning toward playing anything that's not an exclusive on my PS4. The controller is great compared to the DS3, and after many hours on both systems, the PS4 has a noticeable advantage on what I've played. The only game that seems to rival it is Ryse, IMO.
Thanks for the impressions Terry. Sucks that things are uneven again this gen. I'll just stick to my ignorance is bliss approach and not do any detailed side by sides.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Spooky wrote:
TCrouch wrote:I'll post more tomorrow, but I will say that I spent most of the weekend direct comparing games on the PS4 and the XBO. Those who say you won't really see a difference between the two just haven't really checked closely. The PS4 looks noticeably better on the same TV on the only 2 games that I have on both--Assassin's Creed 4 and Madden. Madden's lighting and saturation is off, and compared to the PS, you can see aliasing all over the place. When I look at the PS4 version, it's very smooth, the lighting is believable and the shadows look great. Madden on XB1 looks incrementally better than the 360 on an identical TV with the same settings.

Comparing AC4, the trees have this horrible 'shimmer' effect on the XB1, and again--jaggies all over compared to the PS4 version. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to me if I had never seen the PS4 versions, but it's VERY noticeable on side-by-side setups. Everything on the PS4 is crisper, smoother, but slightly washed-out looking. The color palettes are just different on the 2 systems. I'm already irritated by apparently not being able to make offline profiles on my XB1, and not being able to manage saves on my system (wanted to restart my Forza career, and, guess what? You can't. It's in the cloud, with no reset ability..so if you let your son and his buddy tear it up during a sleepover like I did, now all of their backwards-driving and wrecking is part of my drivatar. Great planning by the dev team to force us to lock into one permanent save).

Bottom line, I'm still in sort of disbelief, but I'm leaning toward playing anything that's not an exclusive on my PS4. The controller is great compared to the DS3, and after many hours on both systems, the PS4 has a noticeable advantage on what I've played. The only game that seems to rival it is Ryse, IMO.
Thanks for the impressions Terry. Sucks that things are uneven again this gen. I'll just stick to my ignorance is bliss approach and not do any detailed side by sides.
I'm sure it won't stay that way. Hell, neither system has been out a month, and we all know that 1st generation games, especially launch games, are a pretty bad barometer.
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:I'm sure it won't stay that way. Hell, neither system has been out a month, and we all know that 1st generation games, especially launch games, are a pretty bad barometer.
Except that the PS4 has significantly more GPU power and faster RAM...so it'll likely be true going forward as well. It's just the way it's going to be this generation. But hey...you can't watch TV on your PS4.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Teal wrote:I'm sure it won't stay that way. Hell, neither system has been out a month, and we all know that 1st generation games, especially launch games, are a pretty bad barometer.
Except that the PS4 has significantly more GPU power and faster RAM...so it'll likely be true going forward as well. It's just the way it's going to be this generation. But hey...you can't watch TV on your PS4.

Yeah, the PS3 did, too, so it still ain't gonna matter much. Yeah, yeah, I know the PS4 is easier to program and yada, yada, but at the end of the day, it comes down to experiences, not numbers. I haven't heard anything about PS4's online experiences, and if it comes close to Xbox Live, and really...it's gonna come down to that...at least for me. That and, I suppose, exclusives somewhat, although that hasn't ever really mattered to me.

I'd be fine with a PS4 if the online experience could touch what XBL has given us over the years; I have my doubts it's there yet, because MS has a big head start on fine tuning and perfecting the online experience. BUT, again, I haven't heard anything. Anyone care to do the 411?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Teal wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Yeah, the PS3 did, too, so it still ain't gonna matter much. Yeah, yeah, I know the PS4 is easier to program and yada, yada, but at the end of the day, it comes down to experiences, not numbers. I haven't heard anything about PS4's online experiences, and if it comes close to Xbox Live, and really...it's gonna come down to that...at least for me. That and, I suppose, exclusives somewhat, although that hasn't ever really mattered to me.
The comparison Terry made was strictly a graphical comparison and your comment implied the same thing. So my statement still stands. I'm pretty sure no one is expecting Sony's online experience to even be in the same stratosphere as Xbox Live.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Yeah, for me--I have been getting more and more away from online play as months and years go by. My desire is to get the best looking and playing games for offline stuff. Hell, I bought Ghosts and BF4, with zero desire to play them online. I know I'm in the minority, but I play a shooter in campaign mode for bit and then move on. I think because I played shooters to death online on PC when online gaming was really first starting, it just burned me out. I've never had any desire to get started in that genre again, not to mention using sticks to look around instead of a mouse.

But last gen the consoles were fairly close in power, and the theory I had pre-launch is what I'm believing to be accurate now. Sure, games will get 'closer' as time passes, but what I'm seeing now just proves my point (to me at least) that games are being developed on the PS4 and then ported over to XBox One. When that happens, the XB1 version will ALWAYS be the inferior one if there are any issues at all. Skyrim on PS3 was a buggy mess compared to the 360, the EA Sports games always had issues on PS3 vs. 360, etc. So while the games may be closer this gen, the mere fact that they're both x86 architecture and the PS4 is more powerful means that developers can code the same game on both platforms--and then go in and turn on antialiasing and anisotropic filtering on the PS4 because they have extra GPU processing just leftover unused.

I would be willing to go so far as to say that PS4 games will routinely look better than their XB1 versions for that reason alone. For an online gamer? No idea. I've wanted to try online for a week+ now, but I have yet to do so outside of one game of NBA, which was laggy but playable. Was it the game, the connection, or PSN? No idea.

But I will say that, disregarding all of the "1080p vs upscaled 720/900p" gibberish--the eye test is noticeable for me. I really do wish I hadn't have done the side by side, because now it will be in my mind all the time. If you're looking at being online first and foremost, I think you won't care if the PS4 has a boost in AA and AF, because the online stuff you want will likely still be better on XB1. But from a visual standpoint, there's not much of a comparison to make for me as an offline gamer.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Teal wrote: I'd be fine with a PS4 if the online experience could touch what XBL has given us over the years; I have my doubts it's there yet, because MS has a big head start on fine tuning and perfecting the online experience. BUT, again, I haven't heard anything. Anyone care to do the 411?
From what I have been reading, I get the impression that the Xbox One version of XBL isn't touching what XBL has given us over the years. Aristo's comment earlier was one of the first folks that I have read that indicated that they like Live better on XBO than on 360.

I keep reading complaints like:

--Overall slowness and clunkiness with parties, friend lists, messages, etc
--No inviting friends to game from your friends list, or joining their game
--party handling no longer handled at system levels, so games need to code for it. May cause some kludgey experiences such as everyone leaving a party that was formed during one game to join a new party formed in a second game when games are switched
--no viewing of recent players

etc.

I'm sure it's still good, and what is not can always be tinkered with and fixed later, and perhaps even with these issues the service is still better than PSN's offering, but early impressions seems to indicate that XBL is a step back from the 360 on the One right now.

I'm the wrong guy to test it, though, or at least give PSN comparisons (I don't own the One as of yet) as I don't do much with parties, or chats with folks playing different games, etc.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Part of the issues with XBL on XB1 are due to having to learn the new interface.

My plan is enjoy some next gen gaming with XB1 while playing through my backlog on the 360, which will probably take at least a year.
In another year or two I should be XB1 only and ready to add a PS4. By then the PS4 graphics could be another nice bump up and I'll be feeling like its next gen all over again!
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Been playing Forza online. No issues here. Seems just like XBL to me.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

I'll never be able to do the 'side-by-side' comparison thing, because I've never been one to see the sense in owning multiple gaming systems. So my criteria have less to do with eye candy vs eye candy...I just won't care. Both are better looking than their older siblings. I owned a PS2 for a long time, and had no intention of switching consoles, until PK and some others starting talking about this XBL stuff, and I began to see Mix's XBL in action. Even when I pulled the trigger, I did so just because of the word of mouth over the online stuff. So yeah, that social component weighs in more to me than eye candy.

So the comparisons on that level are somewhat valuable to me, but not a whole lot. Video comparisons I've seen just don't bear out a difference that I consider significant. One is smoother, but the colors are more washed out; the other has better lighting, but more jaggies. I just think that's a wash. The exact same things were said of the respective systems in the last generation, to my memory. But as the consoles got into subsequent generations, the games got better, and better looking, same as they will this time.

Looks just aren't my criteria at this stage of the game, because they will change. Remarkably, if last gen is any indicator. As for the hiccups with Live on the One? Well, it's just another reason for me to hang on to what I have and join the next gen when they get all that ironed out.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Teal wrote: Well, it's just another reason for me to hang on to what I have and join the next gen when they get all that ironed out.
If i didn't now have two gamer children in the house wanting a new console, I would have been right there with you, Teal. :) Stay strong and wait for the system seller you are looking for, or price drops, or all of the above!

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Teal wrote:I'll never be able to do the 'side-by-side' comparison thing, because I've never been one to see the sense in owning multiple gaming systems.
The sense in multiple gaming systems is that I never could have played The Last of Us, any of the Uncharteds, or Beyond on my XBox. Nor could I have played Halo or Forza on my PS3.

I'll always have both for exclusives alone.

Since I'll have both, my comparisons were for anybody like me who was curious as to which one looks better...because I want to play the version that looks better to me, considering gameplay is equal on both platforms given the controllers are so similar. Obviously it doesn't matter to you. To others, it might. While you seem to think it trivial and not a big deal, to others, it actually might be.

A compressed video doesn't show the magnitude of the differences that my TV screens did. It's significantly better. But like I said, you obviously won't care. I do.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:The sense in multiple gaming systems is that I never could have played The Last of Us, any of the Uncharteds, or Beyond on my XBox. Nor could I have played Halo or Forza on my PS3.

I'll always have both for exclusives alone.

Since I'll have both, my comparisons were for anybody like me who was curious as to which one looks better...because I want to play the version that looks better to me, considering gameplay is equal on both platforms given the controllers are so similar. Obviously it doesn't matter to you. To others, it might. While you seem to think it trivial and not a big deal, to others, it actually might be.

A compressed video doesn't show the magnitude of the differences that my TV screens did. It's significantly better. But like I said, you obviously won't care. I do.
I'm with ya and agree that videos on the web don't do anything for me. When I could sit at my TV w/ both consoles hooked up and NBA 2k14 playing in demo mode, I could def see a difference in the quality of the textures and detail, and it's the LEAST different according to most comparisons I've read. I didn't bother buying any other games because I know where my single player gaming will take place this gen. I prefer the PS4 controller, and the better graphics. I'll still use the One for exclusives (Forza is prettier than anything I've seen on the PS4) and if there is a huge game around here on XBL...but other than that, the PS4 is pretty much where you and I are of the same opinion.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

webdanzer wrote:
Teal wrote: Well, it's just another reason for me to hang on to what I have and join the next gen when they get all that ironed out.
If i didn't now have two gamer children in the house wanting a new console, I would have been right there with you, Teal. :) Stay strong and wait for the system seller you are looking for, or price drops, or all of the above!

Mine want a new console, too...but they can learn the fine art of patience...lol

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Teal wrote:Yeah, the PS3 did, too, so it still ain't gonna matter much. Yeah, yeah, I know the PS4 is easier to program and yada, yada, but at the end of the day, it comes down to experiences, not numbers. I haven't heard anything about PS4's online experiences, and if it comes close to Xbox Live, and really...it's gonna come down to that...at least for me. That and, I suppose, exclusives somewhat, although that hasn't ever really mattered to me.
Live is the deal-maker for me, too, when I finally board this train. It's worth the extra $100.

PSN isn't going to catch up this generation in terms of network infrastructure, even if it lasts 10 years. MS knows Live is one of its trump cards. No matter how much it stresses the media center aspect of the One, MS will do what it takes to maintain and improve the Live infrastructure and experience.

PS3 owners pointed out PSN offers far better free games than XBL Gold. That's true. But I didn't subscribe to a console online service to get free games. I did it to enjoy great, dependable, interconnected online gaming experiences with my friends.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

vader29
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vader29 »

"Two rules man: Stay away from my f***in percocets and do you have any f***in percocets?" ~ Marco Belchier
https://www.ea.com/games/nhl/nhl-20/pro ... rm=xboxone

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

vader29 wrote:No swearing on Xbox One! :P

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/25/51435 ... r-swearing

PK's choice for the next gen is much clearer now. 8)

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

FWIW, those are users who publicly shared videos which included them swearing on the Kinect cam, not party chat, Skype users, private uploaded videos or any of the other things moron around the internet are screaming about this afternoon.

PK's safe.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Coming home from holidays tomorrow. Has anyone experienced any problems picking up the XOne? I know it's waiting for me to have it set up, but again I don't have this itch to do it ASAP, so I have no problems in re-selling it either.

Looking forward to do some next gen-gaming. Thus far, which game has impressed you the most on the PS4-Xbone?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

RobVarak wrote:FWIW, those are users who publicly shared videos which included them swearing on the Kinect cam, not party chat, Skype users, private uploaded videos or any of the other things moron around the internet are screaming about this afternoon.

PK's safe.
F*ck. Major damn exhale. :)
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

pk500 wrote:
RobVarak wrote:FWIW, those are users who publicly shared videos which included them swearing on the Kinect cam, not party chat, Skype users, private uploaded videos or any of the other things moron around the internet are screaming about this afternoon.

PK's safe.
F*ck. Major damn, f*cking, dicking, assing, shitholing, fucktarding exhale. :)
Fixed that for ya... :D

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

pk500 wrote: PSN isn't going to catch up this generation in terms of network infrastructure, even if it lasts 10 years. MS knows Live is one of its trump cards. No matter how much it stresses the media center aspect of the One, MS will do what it takes to maintain and improve the Live infrastructure and experience.

PS3 owners pointed out PSN offers far better free games than XBL Gold. That's true. But I didn't subscribe to a console online service to get free games. I did it to enjoy great, dependable, interconnected online gaming experiences with my friends.
I don't know if you can be so cavalier with this assumption, though, PK, based on what I've been reading. As far as friends and party online implementations go, the systems are as close as they have ever been, with Sony going forward and MS perhaps taking a step back. Ps4 may even win right out on speed and accessibility of things such as joining parties, messaging, etc

From penny arcade:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/11/25

I can pull of some pretty shocking stuff very quickly. Switching between games and apps and back to games is, frankly, next level s***. But the basics are lost: Friends and Parties, the thing they used to handle best, are incredibly slow. I found this shocking, but what do you say? If the last box is any indication, this isn’t the Xbox One owners will have even a year from now. Six months. But today? At this point? All the rhetorical oxygen has been burned away.

And then there is this *rumor* that has been quoted everywhere. Not confirmed or denied at this point:

“The system OS and network integration was written by a group of people who do not play games. They don’t understand why things were set up in the ways they were designed by J Allard back in ’05.”

So… what changed?

“Let me get into some technical detail regarding it – on 360, the OS handles all of the party and chat functionality. All you do is hook up the XBL VOiP OS API into your game, and it does most of the work for you. With it results in is a shared experience across multiple entertainment. If you’re watching movies or playing games, you can do it together. However, this system is entirely different on Xbox One. So, lets say me, you, and Thuway have xbox one’s that are online. We are signed in our profiles. Sitting at the home screen, we are considered to be in a “Xbox Party” on the server. There are no more ‘party leaders’. With that said if any one of us decide to start a game, the party is shifted over to that game’s party system. Each game now has their custom written VOIP.” (Pete note: shoutout to thuway!)

“In essence, it is almost EXACTLY how it was on the PS3...

http://doddscientifics.com/2013/10/28/x ... ch-launch/

This rumor came out originally before the One came out, and doom mongers ran with it, aggrandizing the negative implications, I believe. I certainly don't think XBL on the one is broken.

I just don't think you can assume dominance in ease of use and speed and such based on the last generation comparisons.

Now, reliability wise, I'm more likely to agree with you. I'd be very surprised if PSN is a more reliable or stable platform than XBL. But other aspects of comparison are still yet to be determined, I think.

I don't know if we have enough DSP 'partiers' who have both systems to put this kind of stuff through its paces yet, but I'm sure we'll get more first hand accounts of it in the upcoming weeks and months.