XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by sportdan30 »

For us non-Xbox One owners, I think it comes down to "you have to experience it to appreciate it". I think Snap TV is a useful and cool feature, but I don't know how much I'd really use it after a while. Sometimes while I'm sitting on the couch taking in game football game, I'll also be on my iPad. I literally have to tell myself to put the iPad away and just enjoy the game. I'm probably in the minority, but I get sensory overload and overwhelmed and unable to enjoy what I'm watching on tv if I'm involved in something else. If I'm watching a KU game or a Rams game, I like to be fully invested in the game, and not be overly concerned about needing a 3 point basket and a stop on the defensive end of the floor in 2K14. Maybe it also depends on the game you're playing. Now, if there's a game on tv I'm just somewhat interested in, then Snap Tv would be nice. But, I just feel there's a time to enjoy sports on tv, and there's a time to relax and enjoy a video game.

After a couple days of really being intrigued about the Xbox One (reading impressions, reviews, watching streams, etc), I can fully say I'm quite content with my decision going with one system. I absolutely love the PS4. The pull of wanting the Xbox One was very strong the last couple days, but fortunately it has passed. I have a horrible habit of impulse decisons and then having buyer's remorse. I simply don't have the time or funds for a second system right now.

I played a couple games of Fifa 14 last night with my son and we were on the same team. It was some of the most fun video game experience he and I have had in a long time.

I played NBA2K14 online last night against Pared from OS. Had a much better experience than a couple days ago with Leebo. The lag the other night was almost unbearable. It was much better last night. So, there's hope 2K's online experience is improving.

Having an issue with my receiver, and I don't know if it's related to my PS4 or not. I'll be playing and a good 30-45 minutes in to my game session, I'll lose picture. What's happening is that my receiver is shutting off for whatever reason. I don't know if it's a short or if somehow it got programed by myself or someone to shut off after a certain period of time. Going to watch the Rams game this afternoon and see if it happens during the game. A little concerning as I don't want to invest in a new receiver if I don't have to.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Sudz wrote:Powershot golf is pretty fun. Anyone else playing?
Probably will pull the trigger on this one today. Looking forward to playing it.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I have a 30 day free trial for Sony music unlimited. It's a free code if anyone is interested.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote:I like how in BF4 it automatically saves a clip when you level up (on the XBONE);

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... deo%2c.mp4

Same thing happens in FIFA at certain moments. Very awesome.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Leebo33 wrote:Has anyone setup sub accounts on PSN? It seems tougher than it should be. I have to agree that Sony can share my kids information and it requires a separate email other than my own? WTF? What would stop them from just signing into my account at the login screen anyway? My kids are 9 and 10 and wouldn't be purposely trying to do anything, but I'd like to shield them from even accidentally going on Playstation Live because of the rampant racism and sexual content I've seen in some of the broadcasts.

How do you guys handle this on XBL? I've never really worried about this before but my kids' friends are starting to get their own XBL accounts and it's only a matter of time before I need to do the same.
One thing I've noticed that is interesting for XBO...

Where I used to (on 360) be able to easily set up a local profile for my youngest (nearly 7), I now had to create an outlook.com email "for her" that will just be dormant for all intents and purposes.

*But*, here is a good thing... Since it auto recognizes her, by way of of Kinect, as long as she is signed in, the whole App Store front end changes, even if I'm the active user. Ryse and Eminem give way to Zoo Tycoon and Little Mermaid.

It also allows you to set a PIN for overriding certain restricted content. Believe it or not, I *think* the Kinect Sports Rivals demo required override, although I haven't seen anything content wise therein to worry about.

As an aside, while Kinect gaming can be considered tired by most, that title does a pretty darn good job highlighting improved fidelity of Kinect 2. And it's quite a beautiful game if only one level. Water and particle effects are quite impressive.

Phototropic
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Phototropic »

*But*, here is a good thing... Since it auto recognizes her, by way of of Kinect, as long as she is signed in, the whole App Store front end changes, even if I'm the active user. Ryse and Eminem give way to Zoo Tycoon and Little Mermaid.
That is awesome.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Just snapped Internet explorer to the side my screen with my fantasy football stat tracker web page open. Ready for some football! Awesome!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv80Cn_LoKI

Just some random FIFA clips I exported

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

greggsand wrote:Just snapped Internet explorer to the side my screen with my fantasy football stat tracker web page open. Ready for some football! Awesome!
I didn't think of that! Thanks for the idea.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

All of the impressions of the XBONE are neat, but it's all about the apps and not much about the gaming aspect of the console (which is pretty much what I expected). The fantasy football tracker is neat, i guess, but I have my iPad with me while watching the games. The snap-to and PIP is also a nice added feature, but again I can change back and forth easily with my remote (no PIP, but not sure I'd use it).

I'm not bagging on these features at all, but I guess I just don't have a compelling need for them. I'm sure they all add up to make a nice little package though.
GT = Wilk5280

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Wilk5280 wrote:All of the impressions of the XBONE are neat, but it's all about the apps and not much about the gaming aspect of the console (which is pretty much what I expected). The fantasy football tracker is neat, i guess, but I have my iPad with me while watching the games. The snap-to and PIP is also a nice added feature, but again I can change back and forth easily with my remote (no PIP, but not sure I'd use it).

I'm not bagging on these features at all, but I guess I just don't have a compelling need for them. I'm sure they all add up to make a nice little package though.
Would you like to hear more about NBA 2k, COD or Madden (Forza has it's own thread)? It plays games and looks great, but there's not much else to say about it gaming-wise. Other than Forza, the marquee games are on both systems - so the most interesting thing about it (right now) is everything "else" it does.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Wilk5280 wrote:All of the impressions of the XBONE are neat, but it's all about the apps and not much about the gaming aspect of the console (which is pretty much what I expected).
Well the gaming aspects aren't new to either console. They're new iterations of familiar franchises on both machines, so there's not much to say.

The exciting elements of both consoles so far are the apps, the sharing features etc. I'm seeing a lot of people really getting off on sharing video clips, for example. The ridiculous ease of doing so is a real innovation.

And none of these ad hoc solutions for the second screen options are as seamless and fun as snap, IMO.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

RobVarak wrote:And none of these ad hoc solutions for the second screen options are as seamless and fun as snap, IMO.
The two input PIP I've got is arguably better and easier to use if you're talking about gaming and tv. Now if you're talking internet or Skype then I'd have to agree.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

greggsand wrote:
Wilk5280 wrote:All of the impressions of the XBONE are neat, but it's all about the apps and not much about the gaming aspect of the console (which is pretty much what I expected). The fantasy football tracker is neat, i guess, but I have my iPad with me while watching the games. The snap-to and PIP is also a nice added feature, but again I can change back and forth easily with my remote (no PIP, but not sure I'd use it).

Would you like to hear more about NBA 2k, COD or Madden (Forza has it's own thread)? It plays games and looks great, but there's not much else to say about it gaming-wise. Other than Forza, the marquee games are on both systems - so the most interesting thing about it (right now) is everything "else" it does.
I'll also say that impressions from gamers versus reviewers for Ryse and DR3 are way more positive. I will end up with both of these eventually.

BF4 looks jaw droppingly fantastic. I didn't count pixels to compare with the PS4, but the game feels next gen.

Forza, beyond looking ant feeling fantastic (force feedback triggers are awesome), made me very, very happy last night. Drivatars, as they are implemented, at about the best idea ever. The idea that from the get-go, the AI I am driving against are my friends makes every race much more personally satisfying. We can debate how accurate they are or if trey are a true challenge. But despite coming in 7th in my first race, passing a friend's Drivatar at the finish line made me fist pump and force myself to keep quiet with my girls sleeping. It's just a fun way to race, and it was like a mental reminder every step of the way to not drive too aggressively. Those were no longer random AI I was ramming, but friends. And while they would not see me ram their car here, I knew that my Drivatar would show up in their game to do it later.

I'll let gear heads worry about how truly sim the racing is. The fact is, it is a fun way to race. Seriously, it's a brilliant way to make one feel like they are part of a larger community, even when they don't have time to show up and race head-to-head. It's better than score chasing and better than ghosts.

Madden, on the other hand, is just as meh in next gen as it was on the 360. For next gen sports gaming, I'm gonna have to go with NBA 2K14, of which I already have several folks on my friends list playing. to tell you the truth, if EA had not run 2K out of the football business, I really believe Madden would be seeing the same reaction as folks have for NBA Live. I played the demo, and it is just a lifeless game, that actually reminded me of my Madden experience.

You know what the One is lacking? A bunch of piddly indie games you could play in the PC you already own. Yeah, that's a good $400 investment! Watching Resogun and Super Motherlode doesn't exactly scream next gen. It screams free on the Vita soon, so don't waste your money. The Xbox has better launch games, but XBLA is really nowhere to be seen.

And XBL is just better on the One. My fear that no one was going to be there was alleviated when I saw dozens on my friend's list already playing One games. Voice chat is drastically improved. While I liked seeing what games everyone was playing on the 360, the Twitter like feed of friend's activity is even better.

I'd rather wait on a Halo game than try to rationalize Killzone as a much buy. It would end up on my, "when it goes on sale list." I'm excited for what Remedy is cooking up for Quantum Break, and Titanfall looks like, obviously, looks like a instant day one purchase.

And the TV and Kinect stuff has been great. Well, the One guide is a pointless joke, but that isn't really necessary to take advantage of what MS is doing.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

I've got the XBox One almost fully integrated into my system now, with my Harmony Smart Remote programmed to turn it on/off and control navigation/selections with long button presses while reserving the short button presses to control my TiVo.

It's far from perfect, but MS is on to something with this concept. The fact that I can switch from games to TV, to Netflix and back again, and/or use Snap to view two things at once finally makes a TV feel 'Smart' and the content sources of live TV, web, and gaming feel far less like the silos they've traditionally been.

The PS4 is the better 'pure gaming' box, but I'm keeping both because I want to see where MS takes this idea.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Phototropic wrote:
That is awesome.
Indeed. Thanks G7!

How is Zoo Tycoon? It's on my short list but the Wal-mart exclusivity hurts.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Made the mistake of hooking up the One in the main room and using Skype w the family. Guess I'm keeping the One. The wife is a huge fan. Was sick of holding her iPad when video chatting. So yeah...don't have a choice now. My console monogamy lasted all of a week.

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

I just did my first skype session on the one. The zoom & follow of the kinect was really cool. My folks said "how are you moving the camera around like that??!". I noticed every time they said "Xbox" the audio dimmed. I assume that's to keep the kinect from "kicking in" when others talk.

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

Leebo33 wrote:
Phototropic wrote:
That is awesome.
Indeed. Thanks G7!

How is Zoo Tycoon? It's on my short list but the Wal-mart exclusivity hurts.
Regrettably, I can't say. I should've been clearer that it's the XBL Store Ad for Zoo Tycoon that becomes prominent. I don't have it.

That said, I went even further with checking out the store while my daughter was logged in. Drilling down into the selections, you *still* can't see mature content. In fact, searching the store for Dead Rising 3, for example, turned up "no results found" while I had her logged in. But as soon as I logged her out and ran the search again, it returned all of the game related content for it.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

Sounds like most of the impressions on XBO are more for the gadgets and features rather than the games. Is that true? Would it be accurate to say that PS4 is just games while XBO is games+gadgetry?

That gadgetry worth the extra $100?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I'll post more tomorrow, but I will say that I spent most of the weekend direct comparing games on the PS4 and the XBO. Those who say you won't really see a difference between the two just haven't really checked closely. The PS4 looks noticeably better on the same TV on the only 2 games that I have on both--Assassin's Creed 4 and Madden. Madden's lighting and saturation is off, and compared to the PS, you can see aliasing all over the place. When I look at the PS4 version, it's very smooth, the lighting is believable and the shadows look great. Madden on XB1 looks incrementally better than the 360 on an identical TV with the same settings.

Comparing AC4, the trees have this horrible 'shimmer' effect on the XB1, and again--jaggies all over compared to the PS4 version. I don't think it would be that big of a deal to me if I had never seen the PS4 versions, but it's VERY noticeable on side-by-side setups. Everything on the PS4 is crisper, smoother, but slightly washed-out looking. The color palettes are just different on the 2 systems. I'm already irritated by apparently not being able to make offline profiles on my XB1, and not being able to manage saves on my system (wanted to restart my Forza career, and, guess what? You can't. It's in the cloud, with no reset ability..so if you let your son and his buddy tear it up during a sleepover like I did, now all of their backwards-driving and wrecking is part of my drivatar. Great planning by the dev team to force us to lock into one permanent save).

Bottom line, I'm still in sort of disbelief, but I'm leaning toward playing anything that's not an exclusive on my PS4. The controller is great compared to the DS3, and after many hours on both systems, the PS4 has a noticeable advantage on what I've played. The only game that seems to rival it is Ryse, IMO.

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

greggsand wrote:
Wilk5280 wrote:Would you like to hear more about NBA 2k, COD or Madden (Forza has it's own thread)? It plays games and looks great, but there's not much else to say about it gaming-wise. Other than Forza, the marquee games are on both systems - so the most interesting thing about it (right now) is everything "else" it does.
This isn't surprising. It was frequently mentioned that the Xbone had a much stronger launch lineup, but I knew reading between the lines that meant Xbone has Forza (and this advantage will be be neutralized to some folks in 5 months by The Show). Ryse has a 61 at Metacritic. Crimson Dragon 56. Dead Rising has a 78 but doesn't seem to be big here. Xbox fitness intrigues me but mainly because it is free. In the long run based on past history Xbox is going to have the advantage if you like to shoot people in the face and don't count the fact that some games are also on PC when considering exclusivity and Sony might have an advantage for action and adventure games (based on Naughty Dogs, LBP, etc).

By the time Halo or Uncharted hits the shelves a good portion of gamers will have both systems and can just go and play the back catalog at reduced prices. I can see consoles filling the stockings of a lot of gamers over the next year or two especially with a price drop.

So it is all about Kinect and TV like we knew it would be. I'm down to 30 days and hope to pickup a lot of tips between now and then so keep it coming!

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

TCrouch wrote: The PS4 looks noticeably better on the same TV...horrible 'shimmer' effect on the XB1, and again--jaggies all over compared to the PS4 version.

Bottom line, I'm still in sort of disbelief, but I'm leaning toward playing anything that's not an exclusive on my PS4. The controller is great compared to the DS3, and after many hours on both systems, the PS4 has a noticeable advantage on what I've played. The only game that seems to rival it is Ryse, IMO.
I tend to agree, though I wouldn't say the graphical difference appears as pronounced on my 65" Samsung TV or to my old eyes. Forza looks terrific, but generally the XB1 games exhibit aliasing/jaggies on fine lines, foliage, and windows/doors that don't exist on the PS4, though the XB1 sometimes also appears 'sharper' and more color-saturated in many instances. I also, in part out of habit, prefer the XB1 controller slightly over the DS4.

As noted, the XB1 is GAMES & GADGETRY, and is worth the $100 for that combo, but if you want the best pure gaming box the PS4 wins.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Bakes
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Bakes »

TCrouch wrote:I'm already irritated by apparently not being able to make offline profiles on my XB1, and not being able to manage saves on my system (wanted to restart my Forza career, and, guess what? You can't. It's in the cloud, with no reset ability..so if you let your son and his buddy tear it up during a sleepover like I did, now all of their backwards-driving and wrecking is part of my drivatar. Great planning by the dev team to force us to lock into one permanent save).
Don't own Forza yet but this is concerning. Saw this solution on another forum. Not sure if it works.

"When you see the Splash Screen (the screen with the orange McLaren P1 and text that says “Press A to Begin”), do the following: Hold down both shoulder buttons (LB + RB) while holding both triggers (LT + RT) and then press the Y (yellow) button at the same time. If done correctly, you should see a confirmation pop-up confirming that you want to reset your profile. Choose “Yes” from the menu and then press the A button to reset your profile. A successful profile reset should unblock you from proceeding through the game. WARNING: This profile reset will permanently reset your profile including: career progress, tokens, credits, liveries, etc. Only do this if you are absolutely sure you want to start over."

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

Thank you! I'll give it a shot. I had done a quick Google search when I tried to reset it and found nothing but a threat on the Forza forums with about 10 posts it in griping about the same thing. Wonder if a mod finally chimed in over there or something. I'll see if that works at lunch, thanks again!