XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

bdunn13
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by bdunn13 »

I had some severe issues with 2K yesterday.... I played a game late Sat night then went to play one yesterday morning. "MyGM" would not load, it would just lock up. I tried to create a new one but it would lock up creating a new one too... So I deleted the old one.. and that didn't help...

I ended up having to uninstall and re-install the game. That finally fixed it... So i had to start over.. If I would have kept my file, I would have been okay..

I have simmed a ton of games and played a few.. prob 10 or so. I might be the worst 2K player ever.. I have not won a single game yet. I haven't played the series in years and I am just awful.... I think my biggest problem is the controls are so complex... so much control. It seems like the shot buttons change and controls change on me.. with all the button combos. I am a turnover machine.
XBL: bdunn13
PSN: bdunn13

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

Definitely some PSN problems last night, but once it calmed down, I had a blast with NBA and Resogun.

In 2K, once you play around with the camera a bit, the 5 on 5 gameplay looks absolutely gorgeous. I lost on All-Star difficulty by about 10 points using the Warriors vs Clippers. Remembered why I loved this series so much.

Tried using the Vita for a bit, but wasn't that smooth. Hoping that the PSN issues are the cause.

Resogun is also a top-notch launch game. I've never been much for twin-stick shooters, but this one really sucked me in. I think I have to read the online manual (if there is one), because there's just way too much I don't understand yet. But the basics are really fun and it looks impressive with all the particles flying around and such.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I FINALLY found some PS4 demos.. So far Fifa and some other game. I found them using the iphone app.

also, i sent some friend requests. I'm vibrantorange.

fanatic
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by fanatic »

So, Need for Speed has received a 9 from Eurogamer and some other nice reviews as well.

Anyone played this yet? Might have to grab it on the way home tonight.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Sudz wrote:I FINALLY found some PS4 demos.. So far Fifa and some other game. I found them using the iphone app.

I saw that a demo for NBA Live is coming out today I believe. So, demos can be set to download using the iPhone app?

Ahhhhh...so you are vibrantorange.....???? I was wondering who the heck they were! :D

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I don't think I quit playing for most of the weekend--and most of it was spent in Madden, which actually managed to grow on me the more I play it, rather than the reverse. I very rarely completely shut down the CPU, as the AI is far more advanced than in any of their previous games, IMO. The players behave so intelligently for the most part, that I'm finding myself playing "real" defense, instead of lone wolf do-it-all defense like I typically do in games. The past couple at least kept me from running around like a freak as the FS and abandoning zones, but this is a step further.

For example, trying to contain Arian Foster had me reading the offensive line, seeing the fullback kick out, and I jumped outside as quick as I could with the LB--got the FB's attention, kept Foster on my inside, and turned him back into my defense. I didn't switch, and the DL shed their blocks and made the stop. Any outside runs, my focus now is where it should be--force the ballcarrier back inside and do not let them get the edge. I feel like the other 10 guys on the field don't require as much handholding anymore.

But after so many games of playing it, I decided to go 100% coach mode. I started a season with the Raiders, and found that coaching was completely believable. Running backs look for their lanes, you can get the defense to bite with good playcalling, and it wasn't the debacle I'd seen in past years. I knocked off the Colts 21-17 on full 15-minute quarters in the opener, and then lost to the Jags (the JAGS!) 34-24 after I lost both Pryor and McFadden in the fourth quarter of the Colts game--2 of their touchdowns were on turnovers when newly-signed Vince Young threw a pair of picks right out of the gates and a quick 14-0 deficit. I reined the offense back in and went run-heavy and made a game out of it, but I was fighting uphill the entire day.

When I went to Denver, playing against Manning was every bit as frustrating as I imagine it would be in real life. I'd fake blitzes and call everything under the sun, but he'd routinely find the open guy or zip one past a nearby defender. I think Demaryius Thomas had something like 17 catches for almost 200 yards. None of my corners could cover him, and I lost huge. Like, 45 to 17 huge. I just had absolutely no answer for the Broncos offense.

All in all, I am very, VERY pleased with Madden on the field. The only things that bug me are the penalties still being MIA, and running attacks not being as lethal as I'd hoped (ballcarriers will frequently get 20+ carries for 60 to 70 yards, which is better than a few years back, where they'd get 10 yards). I'm stunned at how much I enjoy playing it, considering I have already played more games on PS4 than I played on 360 in total.

With Killzone, it's all been said--it's gorgeous. The swipe pad stuff to change the Owl's behavior is a little unusual, but I'm assuming I'll get used to it the longer I have the PS4. It's a shooter, though, which means it didn't get my full attention other than to experience the first 4 or 5 chapters. Same with Call of Duty Ghosts. It's unbelievably pretty, but it's another shooter. It will be the last game I actually sit down to play on the system. I got it mainly because my teenage son loves COD online play and that's pretty much it.

NBA's mammoth install meant I didn't actually complete it until Sunday. I didn't want to sit around playing Heat/Spurs for 30 minutes while it installed, so I didn't really play that one much until me and a buddy played a game last night. It was a looker, but we were both clueless as to what to do. So I did what I always do--wiggle the RS around with Kobe until I find a bit of separation and hit jumpers. I'm a huge cheesed*ck in NBA, I guess. I don't know the sport like I do others, so I can't even pretend to try to do something realistic. I just run around like an idiot and force things with my superstar. Then they leave the floor and I am lost, allowing the other team back in the game until Kobe comes back on the court. :lol:

And Assassin's Creed--much like Madden, the changes aren't as drastic as I'd expected. The textures are much higher-quality, and the weather effects are worlds better. The open ocean has much more detail, and the foliage is better animated. But you won't look at it and say "oh THAT'S next gen!" like you will with Killzone, NBA, or CoD. But those tiny touches like the bushes moving as you pass through (and under) them in stalking zones really make the game feel more alive. And ship battles are worlds better than the 360 version, simply because your cannons let loose this massive cloud of smoke that you have to try to see through. In heated fights, the entire area is covered in white smoke, and simply finding targets through it is incredible. It's barely a wisp on 360, as I never noticed having to fight for visibility on the last system. On PS4, it's VERY noticeable.

All in all, I am incredibly pleased with the system after the weekend.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

fanatic wrote:So, Need for Speed has received a 9 from Eurogamer and some other nice reviews as well.

Anyone played this yet? Might have to grab it on the way home tonight.
I played it most of the weekend and I sold it. It's just not my cup of tea. The interface is extremely clunky, which ultimately made me hate turning it on. I'm a huge interface guy and if I dread turning your game on because I don't want to deal with your horrific interface, well you failed as a developer.

The racing is standard NFS...drive fast, drift, try not to crash. I thought Most Wanted was LIGHT YEARS better than this one from a gameplay point of view. The goals were laid out for you for each car you got. This one, well, sometimes you pick goals, and sometimes they are picked for you. It's weird, and confusing.

The game is pretty good looking, tho not jaw dropping. The particle effects flying through the air at ALL TIMES is extremely distracting and pointless. I understand if you go off road or you are rubbing railings or other cars for there to be particle effects, by why when I'm just idling in the middle of the street? I think they tried to get too cute with it.

So basically...it's a rental. NFS never last more than a few days for me anyway (same with most games that are unapologetically arcade racers) so it's not that surprising.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I'm a huge interface guy and if I dread turning your game on because I don't want to deal with your horrific interface, well you failed as a developer.
You just explained my experience with GTA V. Which is why it is now traded in.

DB - why are you not in my line of work? Seems like your calling...
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

dbdynsty25 wrote:After not being 100% enthralled w the ps4 I............

Huh?? Wasn't this the best thing since sliced bread Friday - Saturday night? All the posts were positive. Wow, just Wow.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Inuyasha wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:After not being 100% enthralled w the ps4 I............

Huh?? Wasn't this the best thing since sliced bread Friday - Saturday night? All the posts were positive. Wow, just Wow.
Have you not read my specific posts? All I've been doing is complaining, lol.

Here, I'll help. My first post about the system:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Not impressed with the interface so far, that's for damn sure. What a mess it is overall. Logically, it makes little sense. The install of game updates is clunky as hell...the install of games when you first put them in is even worse. All of the games notify you that they are installing in different ways so it's not universal. Ugh. Bad first impression system wise.
Last edited by dbdynsty25 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Spooky wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:I'm a huge interface guy and if I dread turning your game on because I don't want to deal with your horrific interface, well you failed as a developer.

I really wish I liked writing software more, because you're right, I'm a bit too passionate about interface design. I just absolutely hate programming. I just cannot get into it, or I probably would have. That said, I still get to do interfaces with some of the database design I do. So I get a little bit of it in Hospital IT. :)

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Spooky wrote:

I really wish I liked writing software more, because you're right, I'm a bit too passionate about interface design. I just absolutely hate programming. I just cannot get into it, or I probably would have. That said, I still get to do interfaces with some of the database design I do. So I get a little bit of it in Hospital IT. :)
Just FYI - I do ZERO programming/coding. Hate that stuff as well. I am strictly a UI (user interface) designer/architect. Not to be confused with a Visual Designer either. Think of my role just like an architect for houses but for software or web sites. Layout, button placement, interactions, etc... Then that gets handed off to Visual Design to make it all pretty (think of them as the interior decorators). Then they hand off to AppDev to code it and make it a reality.

As a matter of fact - the UI Designer role exists mainly because most companies left the UI up to the developers for years and it yielded less than desirable results. No offense to any developers, but most of you think on a totally different level than your average end user. :wink:

Anyway - It's a great field of work for people that think like you and me.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

sportdan30 wrote:
Sudz wrote:I FINALLY found some PS4 demos.. So far Fifa and some other game. I found them using the iphone app.

I saw that a demo for NBA Live is coming out today I believe. So, demos can be set to download using the iPhone app?

Ahhhhh...so you are vibrantorange.....???? I was wondering who the heck they were! :D
yeah, sent them via my phone.

and yep... you can set it to download via the app.

Games>TRY>SORT BY

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

It's taken me a couple days, but I've grown to like the simple, seamless, and responsive layout of the PS4 UI. Yeah, it's not as "sexy" as the Xbox One UI, as it's a gaming console first and foremost, and I don't think there's any question about that after playing it for a few days.

Game reviews are starting to come in for the Xbox One

Dead Rising review ...... Looks entertaining and fun

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/18/ ... g-3-review

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

sportdan30 wrote:It's taken me a couple days, but I've grown to like the simple, seamless, and responsive layout of the PS4 UI. Yeah, it's not as "sexy" as the Xbox One UI, as it's a gaming console first and foremost, and I don't think there's any question about that after playing it for a few days.

That is good to hear. That is what I"m looking for. Something that is a gaming machine first then all the other stuff after. Let's see how XBO is later this week. I still find it hard to understand why they don't have it playable for demo's like PS4. Are they hiding something? Dont know. But from the marketing MS has done so far, seems like XBO is more of an do it all entertainment system and a gaming machine second. We will see after Friday and I will read the impressions on here.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Well, no issues with my PS4 other than it runs very warm in places and just messing with the UI. PSN is just slooooooooooooow but no disconnects and I had to do the software update via USB. Are you allowed to keep Resogun after the 1 month PSN+ expires?

I found the UI decent that's if you live in Sony's world, not bad but not great either. At least its fast and smooth.

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

Rodster wrote:Well, no issues with my PS4 other than it runs very warm in places and just messing with the UI. PSN is just slooooooooooooow but no disconnects and I had to do the software update via USB. Are you allowed to keep Resogun after the 1 month PSN+ expires?
I think the free games are only available as long as you have the PSN+ membership.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

grtwhtsk wrote:
Rodster wrote:Well, no issues with my PS4 other than it runs very warm in places and just messing with the UI. PSN is just slooooooooooooow but no disconnects and I had to do the software update via USB. Are you allowed to keep Resogun after the 1 month PSN+ expires?
I think the free games are only available as long as you have the PSN+ membership.
That's correct.

I can see the PS4 sitting in a game room or basement and the Xbox One in the family room as it's more of an entertainment hub (especially given the voice commands for tv). They compliment one another well IMO, and are different enough to warrant purchasing both. I just won't until I can come up with a little more scratch! :lol:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The PS4 appears to run cooler when laying flat. I tried it and there is a noticeable difference.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/11/pl ... -position/

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

btw....what happened to that OUYA system? Did that ever get off the ground floor?

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:The PS4 appears to run cooler when laying flat. I tried it and there is a noticeable difference.

http://www.justpushstart.com/2013/11/pl ... -position/
I've never laid any of my consoles in the vertical position. With two dogs and two kids, I'm just not taking that chance. With that said, I did find that it ran fairly warm at times while laying flat. It also may have been that I was feeling it when a game was booting up or installing. I just found it a little strange that there is a venting system that essentially blows warm air on the power chord, and the chord is almost positioned in the middle. That didn't seem to be the case with the PS3. I thought the power chord was positioned on one of the far sides of the console. In any case, it's pretty whisper quiet which I really like.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

Despite the fact that I'm a 40-year-old with a job that has me on the road constantly with nearly no time to game, I went ahead and pre-ordered both the PS4 and X-bone (connects to the thigh bone I think) because my lust for gadgets and technology is stronger and less-rational than my logical recognition that I'm paying $1,000 for stuff I will barely use.

That said, the PS4 has impressed me so far. The graphics are not mind-blowing, but the switching between games and the home screen, the sharing/steaming features, and the remote-play via Vita have been really cool in the past couple days. NBA2k is the one game that really turns heads, my neighbors couldn't believe it...

The XBox One media features have me entertained, even though I already feel weird when I ask Siri for something when other people can hear me, and I have some loyalty to MS because the original Xbox got me back into gaming big-time and the 360 was stellar (except RROD) in terms of online services etc.

I will share a compare/contrast this weekend, and it's possible one of the units could be for sale if I come to my senses, but I'm leaning toward keeping both because of exclusives and different features.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

GameSeven
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by GameSeven »

I stopped by Best Buy for an unrelated purchase and was finally able to get hands on with the DS4. Sadly, the PS4 it was connected to was frozen, but I did like the feel of the new controller. I still prefer the stick layout and general feel of the 360 controller better, but the DS4 is definitely a marked improvement IMHO.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I pre-ordered NBA 2K14 a while back with some trade-ins and picked up my copy today. XB1 game case is smaller, same size as blu-ray movie case.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:It's taken me a couple days, but I've grown to like the simple, seamless, and responsive layout of the PS4 UI. Yeah, it's not as "sexy" as the Xbox One UI, as it's a gaming console first and foremost, and I don't think there's any question about that after playing it for a few days.
Calling the UI ok because the machine is a gaming first system is at best an excuse and frankly makes no sense. The forced downloads / installs while you can play (a severely limited game) IMO were not portrayed pre-launch properly. The UI is confusing at times, why does it auto download a patch but not install it? Why do I need to go to share something before I can set up my sharing accounts? Some of the decision are curious at best.

I really am enjoying the PS4 and shockingly Madden (although not as much as Terry) but it's ok to enjoy something and still point out its weaknesses.

Your constant implication that the Xbox One, something no one has seen yet, is not a gaming console "first" is just that an assumption. What is the XB1 has a really slick interface that also makes it really easy to play games? What will you say then?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation