XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Post by greggsand »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Not impressed with the interface so far, that's for damn sure. What a mess it is overall. Logically, it makes little sense. The install of game updates is clunky as hell...the install of games when you first put them in is even worse. All of the games notify you that they are installing in different ways so it's not universal. Ugh. Bad first impression system wise.
I watched a video of the UI was surprised at how uninteresting it was. Maybe the xbox1 will be more fluff than substance (and ps4 could enhance it in the future obviously), but give me some fluff!
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

End of a long first day on the PS4. Agreed on the few things you guys mentioned. Overall, I'm very impressed with the system. Can't wait to get back at it tomorrow.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Those are some sweet pics Dan! Love the detail and colors. Is it fairly easy to load them to DSP?

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I picked up Madden too. It's certainly better than I anticipated. My 10 year old son put it best when describing Madden's graphics as "not terrible" (while FIFA was "great" and NBA 2K14 was "amazing"). It seems to have an in-game save feature, but I can't find out how to do it on purpose within the game. If you just quit the application in a middle of a game the next time you come into the game you can resume where you left off. Pretty cool and I hope there is some way to save in franchise mode. I brought over my sliders from the 360 version and they seem to work fine.

I played a lot of FIFA last night with my youngest son. We had an absolute blast playing and we found ourselves going into the instant replay quite a bit. I got even more frustrated with the AI's desire to simply attack the middle on the ground (we were playing co-op), but at least they were good at it and the enjoyment I got out of playing offense more than made up for it.

The PSN outages were expected, but will be unacceptable if they last more than the weekend IMO. Hopefully the top brass at Sony are fully aware of the issues. I don't think they are stupid enough to say the experience would be like playing on Xbox Live if they thought it wasn't going to work.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Wow, those Madden guys sure do have freakishly long legs...

After an evening with the PS4 I can say I like it but can't help feeling a little underwhelmed.

Throughout, the PSN downtime was hugely annoying. This better not last.

I agree with DB completely on the dashboard interface - it's fast enough and all but makes absolutely no sense in terms of what gets a big icon and what ends up on the hidden top row. It feels like there is a lot more there somehow that I can't figure out how to access. Then there's the whole games-as-running-apps thing. It sucked on iOS and it sucks here. I can never tell exactly what's running and eating bandwidth and processor power.

My biggest disappointment was with Remote Play. Maybe it was because I was downloading so many updates in the background and the free PS+ titles, but I could rarely get it to work at all with FIFA and BF4 - mostly the screen went to a pixelated mess only a few seconds in only to quit a few seconds later. When it did work there is still enough latency that I can't imagine anyone using it for a sports or shooter other than for the initial novelty. Now if there were turn-based strategy titles that would be another matter, but we so seldom get these on consoles.

I do very much like the added animations and atmosphere of FIFA next-gen, but at its core are many of the same problems as FIFA 14 last-gen at various patch states, only in different combinations. The pace at default settings seems MUCH faster - definitely not a good thing, but this is offset somewhat by better responsiveness.

The controller rocks - the feel is better than any controller I've used on any platform. But what is up with the touch pad thing? It's doesn't seem to be a touch pad but more like a big button on some sort of rocker switch. It is cool how tapping it switches to a Sensible Soccer-like overhead view in FIFA, but one where the CPU takes momentary control of my side. I obviously have to RTFMs to figure some of this stuff out...

BF4 looks great, but has convinced me once and for all I'm too damned old for FPS. I tried one DM game online and died within two seconds of spawning. Over and over again.

My copy of NBA 2k doesn't get here until next week and I'm hoping it can rekindle the excitement.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Been watching some live streams of Madden and I may snag it. It looks pretty good.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:Those are some sweet pics Dan! Love the detail and colors. Is it fairly easy to load them to DSP?
You know how to save a picture out of the PS4 right?

So I typically go into replay in a game. Then save the pic with PS4 share.

I then share the pics to my twitter account. Go onto twitter right click and copy the url.

The you just use the IMg tags here and paste the url in between them. So yes it is pretty easy.

Videos not so much right now you can only save to facebook and if you broadcast with twitch right now it doesn't save the broadcast. Something to do with Sony's late adoption of Twitch it is suppose to be coming. If / When it does come it will be easy to get videos out of the PS4 to Youtube by having twitch archive your broadcasts and then hooking up your twitch account to your Youtube account.

I'm wondering what are people using for a mic / headset?
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

grtwhtsk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by grtwhtsk »

I am beyond frustrated with the network. I understand that there would be some downtime here and there, but getting knocked out of games is not good. I booted up NFS Rivals this morning and was having a great time.....till I got bumped out. Same thing happened yesterday while playing 2K14, Resogun, and Rivals. I sure hope all our gameplay is not tied in to the network and its many "downs." Although I like the machine, my PS4 experience to this point has not been enjoyable. :(

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

FYI, I tried my OLD iPhone headset and it worked with the new Dual Shock 4. The new EarPods don't work but the old iPhone headset did. Better than the stock earbud that comes with the PS4.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

It's been a mostly positive experience for me with a couple minor disappointments. I say minor because I expected issues with PSN coming into it. That doesn't make it OK, but I made sure I managed my expectations prior to launch in that regard.

I'll say it's been better than the 360 launch for me. Madden was an utter POS then. While not stellar now, it's an improvement and more fun than what current Gen offers. That wasn't the case last go around at launch.

BF4 is awesome. I'm blown away by this game and it has exceeded my expectations.

I dorked around with the playstation live streams last night. Watched some cat playing NBA Live. What an awesome feature. Want to get a good look at gamers playing a game you might be interested in? Well here you go. The best part is just how intuitive it is.
GT = Wilk5280

Wilk5280
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Wilk5280 »

Diablo25 wrote:FYI, I tried my OLD iPhone headset and it worked with the new Dual Shock 4. The new EarPods don't work but the old iPhone headset did. Better than the stock earbud that comes with the PS4.
Works for chat?
GT = Wilk5280

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

My youngest son and I stopped at the local Gamestop this morning after his hockey game, hoping to find a PS4 kiosk. No dice. But we did see a father and his kid returning a defective PS4. Felt bad for the kid.

Does Sony have a brewing RROD situation on its hands with the initial run of PS4 units?
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

pk500 wrote:My youngest son and I stopped at the local Gamestop this morning after his hockey game, hoping to find a PS4 kiosk. No dice. But we did see a father and his kid returning a defective PS4. Felt bad for the kid.

Does Sony have a brewing RROD situation on its hands with the initial run of PS4 units?
I linked an IGN story about overheating PS4's

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:FYI, I tried my OLD iPhone headset and it worked with the new Dual Shock 4. The new EarPods don't work but the old iPhone headset did. Better than the stock earbud that comes with the PS4.
Works for chat?
I think there has to be a microphone. I tried Bose ie2 without a microphone and it only works for sound. I tried another pair that I got from at Costco that has a microphone and when I was using it the voice commands were recognized so I'm assuming it would work for chat. I'm just not sure how to mute the mic without unplugging though.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Rodster wrote:
pk500 wrote:My youngest son and I stopped at the local Gamestop this morning after his hockey game, hoping to find a PS4 kiosk. No dice. But we did see a father and his kid returning a defective PS4. Felt bad for the kid.

I linked an IGN story about overheating PS4's
Saw that. And wondered if this was a media-induced sh*tstorm or a real problem after I saw the kid returning his defective PS4 this morning at the local Gamestop.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Wilk5280 wrote:
Works for chat?
I wasn't in chat but when I spoke to test it it showed up on screen. If you click L2 (I think) whenever a headset is plugged in an interface pops up from the bottom with some basic voice commands like POWER, LOG IN/OUT, etc. It worked for that stuff so I assume it'll work online.
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm getting more freezes than I'd like to see. Took me four restarts to get into my season game of nba 2k this morning. Hopefully it's just server issues.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hey fellas maybe this might explain the freezes.

PS4 1.50 system update causing stability issues with all games, EA alleges

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_1_50 ... leges.html

EA claims that the day one 1.50 update "results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

"This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player's console and their TV Screen."

The publisher says that "Sony is working to resolve the issue as quickly as they can," and that the issues can only be fixed via a new PS4 system update.

Update 1.50 released just prior to PS4's US launch last night and adds a variety of features to the console, including support for Remote Play, second screen devices, online multiplayer, Blu-ray disc playback and much more.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'm sure it is causing issues. Tho 2k isn't an EA game. Lol.

Hopefully it stabilizes because it's horrible frustrating right now. New sheen has already worn off really. I'm sure the One is going to see similar. It's just part of the landscape now.

Inuyasha
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Inuyasha »

So the honeymoon period only lasted 36 hours? Damn.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Inuyasha wrote:So the honeymoon period only lasted 36 hours? Damn.
Yep, looks like it's over for me too.......my son and his neighbors can't get enough of NBA2K14 and Madden! I'm regulated to the iPad..... :(

Yeah, some are experiencing some issues and that's to be expected, but I love this thing! Hopefully it all gets squared away. Can't wait to play some Show on here with this controller.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:Hey fellas maybe this might explain the freezes.

PS4 1.50 system update causing stability issues with all games, EA alleges

http://www.videogamer.com/news/ps4_1_50 ... leges.html

EA claims that the day one 1.50 update "results in stability issues while playing games on the system.

"This affects all games on the PS4, including EA titles, causing crashing/freezing and non-responsive connections between the player's console and their TV Screen."

The publisher says that "Sony is working to resolve the issue as quickly as they can," and that the issues can only be fixed via a new PS4 system update.

Update 1.50 released just prior to PS4's US launch last night and adds a variety of features to the console, including support for Remote Play, second screen devices, online multiplayer, Blu-ray disc playback and much more.
This was also posted on that link.....

UPDATE: Shortly after posting this story EA told Polygon that the message accusing PS4 system update 1.50 of causing stability issues was "posted in error". It has also removed the page from its support site.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I'm not seeing any freezes. BUt I'm not logged into PSN Plus either. I tried to redeem the 30-day voucher and it wants your credit card. What a scam.

I'll have to dig up the PSN Plus Card I got.

I played one game of Madden with real old rosters. You have to have PSN Plus to get updated rosters?

I can't tell if Madden has an update or not. I guess I got to try FIFA, which is suppose to have an update.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

wco81 wrote:I'm not seeing any freezes. BUt I'm not logged into PSN Plus either. I tried to redeem the 30-day voucher and it wants your credit card. What a scam.
Go to Settings\PSN\Account Information\Services List\PS+ and turn off the automatic renewal so they don't charge you when your membership is up automatically.