XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Xbox One AND PS4 Info

Post by Sport73 »

So, is the sentiment moving toward XB1?

I have a preorder for both units, but will only buy/keep one. I have been an XBox guy for the last 2 generations (I have a PS3 but moved it to my kid's playroom due to lack of use thanks to XBox Live).

I want the XB1 thanks to Live, the controller, TV features, Kinect, and familiarity.
I want the PS4 thanks to power, price, exclusives (especially MLB) and Vita companion (I never use the Vita but was hoping the PS4 might be a reason).

Help me decide?!?!

PS) the loser of my decision is available to any DSP member who didn't preorder.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Sport73 wrote:So, is the sentiment moving toward XB1?

I have a preorder for both units, but will only buy/keep one. I have been an XBox guy for the last 2 generations (I have a PS3 but moved it to my kid's playroom due to lack of use thanks to XBox Live).

I want the XB1 thanks to Live, the controller, TV features, Kinect, and familiarity.
I want the PS4 thanks to power, price, exclusives (especially MLB) and Vita companion (I never use the Vita but was hoping the PS4 might be a reason).

Help me decide?!?!

PS) the loser of my decision is available to any DSP member who didn't preorder.
If The Show is important to you, then that ends the discussion right there. If I had a Vita I also might lean more towards PS4.

If the PS4 is truly more powerful and shows better graphics down the road, that's even more reason for me to start with XB1. Then I can enjoy another upgrade in a few years with to PS4. :)
But I think over time the games will look similar on both, about as it is now.
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

sportdan30 wrote:MP3 Support, DLNA and more features to follow on 2nd PS4 update

http://couchjockeyz.com/mp3-support-dln ... s4-update/
Oh the PS4180 :) Had to be said.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Sport73 wrote:PS) the loser of my decision is available to any DSP member who didn't preorder.
I'll call dibs on that offer. I didn't preorder and really didn't have plans to pick one up until I can just walk into retail and grab one off the shelf.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

As if on cue, my original PS3 60 Gig with backwards compatibility sounded like and airplane was taking off while watching a blu-ray tonight. I better finish Dragons Crown and Last of Us quick.
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:As if on cue, my original PS3 60 Gig with backwards compatibility sounded like and airplane was taking off while watching a blu-ray tonight. I better finish Dragons Crown and Last of Us quick.
If you want to save it you need to change the thermal paste and any dust that's accumulated inside. If you're interested there's a company that does that service fairly reasonable $49. http://www.gophermods.com/PS3-Cleaning- ... 01-007.htm

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

Now that it is officially launch month I am really getting excited to get my mits on the new systems :D. All of the talk, positive and negative, is getting the 'rinse repeat' treatment and I've heard enough. Sounds corny but I'm excited to unbox the PS4 and start exploring.

I've finally gotten my launch game decisions finalized so let's do this.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Rodster wrote:
Danimal wrote:As if on cue, my original PS3 60 Gig with backwards compatibility sounded like and airplane was taking off while watching a blu-ray tonight. I better finish Dragons Crown and Last of Us quick.
If you want to save it you need to change the thermal paste and any dust that's accumulated inside. If you're interested there's a company that does that service fairly reasonable $49. http://www.gophermods.com/PS3-Cleaning- ... 01-007.htm
How do you know that is what is wrong with it?
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Danimal wrote:
Rodster wrote:
How do you know that is what is wrong with it?
Because it's a common problem and the reason why you get the YLOD on the Phat PS3 and RROD on the 360. The thermal paste dries up and the CPU and GPU get much hotter because the heat from those two components are not properly transferred to the heatsink. The PS3 has sensors that monitor temps at those critical points so it tells the fan to spin faster to get rid of the heat. The only way for that to happen is for the heat to get transferred to the heatsink.

What will eventually happen is the heat will crack the solder joints on the SMD and cause a YLOD. Electronic mfgs have moved away from lead based solder for environmental concerns, (60/40 resin core) lead based was the best because it could withstand high heat and was very flexible so solder joints were not as prone to crack and separate.

That business I linked has reflow (reheat solder connections) and reball (re-solder connections) equipment. If your Phat PS3 is still working you probably need the paste removed and reapplied, they use Arctic Silver 5 paste and they'll remove any accumulated dust inside the console which traps the heat.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Was in the mall and went by the Sony Store.

They had the PS4 with some demos. Only ones I recognized were FIFA and Knack. I'm assuming the other ones, which I didn't check out, were PSN games, not the $60 retail games.

They also had the PS3 version of FIFA right next to it.

The PS4 FIFA was sharper but I had to really look back and forth. In the default camera, you can almost make out the names on the jerseys (Real vs. Barca). The game is at night so each player cast shadows in 4 directions while the PS3 version, playing in daylight, cast only one shadow for each player.

The crowds could be made out in the stands.

After playing the PS4, I looked back at the PS3 and it really looked a smeary mess, especially the grass. Also the Sony LED TVs had motion smearing that LCD TVs have.

Knack looked good but the gameplay seemed pretty limited. Don't think I died, just kept taking hits but got to the enemies and just mashed square button a couple of times to kill them, including what I thought was a boss, a big mech.

There is a jump button but there's really no skill involved or doing moves. No Prince of Persia acrobatics.

Maybe the real game is more difficult and requires some more precision. It's suppose to have co-op play (not sure if it's online or offline-only). The demo also referred to a companion app.

Sony is suppose to be releasing a Playstation app, which some smaller developers are suppose to be able to use to enable some features of some kind.

X1 Madden is suppose to have Coach Glass but it doesn't sound like EA will be doing the same for the PS4 version. But there will be some way for PS4 games to use a tablet or phone, it sounds like. Though Sony is probably going to push Vita Remote Play more than anything else.

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

I'm buying an Xbone at launch and will probably get a Ps4 in a year and just snag all their exclusives at one time. Uncharted and Last of US, The show are just too good to miss out on.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:After playing the PS4, I looked back at the PS3 and it really looked a smeary mess, especially the grass. Also the Sony LED TVs had motion smearing that LCD TVs have.
Next-Gen FIFA is one of the games I can't wait to play. What were your thoughts on the PS4 controller and the touchpad/light bar or whatever they call it ?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I looked at the DS4 and noticed the design differences. But then using it, really didn't notice anything different. I prefer the design over the Xbox controller, couldn't deal with the left stick up where the D-pad is.

I don't know if the shoulder triggers are going to be better or worse yet. I noticed the sticks had a concave rather than convex top. The rubber covers on the DS3 sticks always wore out before anything else for me and I had to replace the DS3 twice. Hopefully the sticks on the DS4 last longer, because I'll be really annoyed at having to spend $60 to replace them every couple of years.

I don't think the touch pad did anything in the demos, didn't think to try it. I noticed the light bar changed between blue and red. That's for the Move or motion control thing if you buy the camera, I guess?

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

I've been really going nuts the last week trying to figure out which way to go here. I just naturally assumed I'd go XBO here, since I've been an XBox guy the past 2 generations. But then I keep having doubts creep in. The way Microsoft issued their policies, then backtracked, the way the focus seems to be on everything else BUT games--then seeing all of the footage for AC4 and other games being the PS4 had me worried.

I don't know if it's because of a total embargo from MS to show anything XBox One related for 3rd parties, or what? The info that Ghosts is 1080p on PS4 while it's upscaled 720p may not be a big deal, but it SOUNDS like a big deal, not to mention the power differences. All I keep thinking of is how so many games this generation were developed on 360, then ported to PS3...so you had debacles like the framerate-hindered, buggy mess that was Skyrim on PS3 vs. Xbox 360 due to the port. It just feels like this generation is going to flip it--games created for PS4 and ported to XBox One.

I did the only sane thing I could think of---buy both. It's the only way to be sure :|

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I think getting both is the way to go as well because you are covered for 1st party games.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

I'm getting both but I'll be at BGG Con from the 18th to the 24th so I'm unlikely to open either until the end of the month.
Follow Me on:

EZSnappin
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by EZSnappin »

Danimal wrote:I'm getting both but I'll be at BGG Con from the 18th to the 24th so I'm unlikely to open either until the end of the month.
Sir, if you are coming into Dallas from the convention zone let me know. We can grab a drink or something.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

TCrouch wrote:I've been really going nuts the last week trying to figure out which way to go here. I just naturally assumed I'd go XBO here, since I've been an XBox guy the past 2 generations. But then I keep having doubts creep in. The way Microsoft issued their policies, then backtracked, the way the focus seems to be on everything else BUT games--then seeing all of the footage for AC4 and other games being the PS4 had me worried.

I don't know if it's because of a total embargo from MS to show anything XBox One related for 3rd parties, or what? The info that Ghosts is 1080p on PS4 while it's upscaled 720p may not be a big deal, but it SOUNDS like a big deal, not to mention the power differences. All I keep thinking of is how so many games this generation were developed on 360, then ported to PS3...so you had debacles like the framerate-hindered, buggy mess that was Skyrim on PS3 vs. Xbox 360 due to the port. It just feels like this generation is going to flip it--games created for PS4 and ported to XBox One.

I did the only sane thing I could think of---buy both. It's the only way to be sure :|
You've just reiterated everything I've been saying since I decided to go PS4 only a few weeks back. If gaming is the first priority, it seems like the PS4 is the way to go right now.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

COD: Ghosts on PS4 reviewed - http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/5/505264 ... sts-review

Polygon gave it a 6.5 which is whatever - COD is COD, if you like it I'm sure you'll like this, the only concerning thing was this quote;
Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady framerate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.
Of course, Microsoft are doing that shady, no-XB1 review stuff that Terry mentioned but I would be interested to see if that version does run at a steady 60fps since it's only being internally rendered at 720 peee.

RobVarak
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RobVarak »

Macca00 wrote:
Much has been said about the fact that the PlayStation 4 version of the game runs at a native 1080p, and while that may be true, the game did struggle to maintain a steady framerate, especially in hectic multiplayer matches. The PS3 version of the game ran into similar problems, whereas the Xbox 360 version maintained a steady 60 frames per second.
I was just headed here to post this exact quote. lol

I wonder if the MS embargo isn't a serious mistake. Neither of these launches seem to be making a dent in the wider culture. There is no buzz whatsoever. I don't think either manufacturer can afford to do anything to diminish press at this point, as it sure feels like there may be some underwhelming launch numbers.

We've started getting Christmas catalogs in the mail, Target, TRU etc., and while the systems are included they are far from featured. Same things in stores (Gamestop excepted, of course).

I just expected a bigger marketing blitz, especially this close to the releases.
XBL Gamertag: RobVarak

"Ok I'm an elitist, but I have a healthy respect for people who don't measure up." --Aaron Sorkin

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Of course hectic multiplayer matches have nothing to do with the horrible PlayStation network latency and not graphical horsepower but that's not mentioned.

TCrouch
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by TCrouch »

dbdynsty25 wrote:You've just reiterated everything I've been saying since I decided to go PS4 only a few weeks back. If gaming is the first priority, it seems like the PS4 is the way to go right now.
I almost sent you some PM's for exactly that reason this past weekend. I had paid very little attention to the PS4 since its announcement, but the more I look around, the more my uneasiness grows with being XBox One-only. Didn't know if there was some more information I was unaware of, but it sounds like there isn't. Thanks.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Of course hectic multiplayer matches have nothing to do with the horrible PlayStation network latency and not graphical horsepower but that's not mentioned.
I don't think it is a network problem.
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/11/05/call- ... -g794d21b/
A key pillar of the Call of Duty experience has always been rock-solid 60 frames per seconds gameplay. On Xbox 360, Ghosts maintains this mandate. The PlayStation 4 version, however, has noticeable technical issues, sometimes slowing to a crawl, particularly during set-piece moments with multiple effects. One specific moment I was able to replicate multiple times on PS4 was a campaign scene that ran smoothly on Xbox 360 and PS3, while the game chugged On PlayStation 4. These frame rate hitches happen throughout the campaign on PS4 and, in a series known for its Hollywood-inspired bombast, it detracted from the experience.
And really, for the vast majority of CoD players, the idea that it is lame network ability is a bigger problem. Multiplayer is why they play, and that is far less likely to get fixed than graphical slowdowns due to code not being tight enough. Infinity Ward could patch the game to rid of the hiccups, but they are stuck with Sony's network.

Also from the Joystiq review:
Despite the touted advancements of its engine, Ghosts looks eerily familiar, even on PS4. The Xbox 360 and PS3 versions certainly look better than previous games in the series, but the PS4 visuals don't present the kind of stark improvement many will expect from a next-generation game.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

If there's a better thread for this to be in, feel free to repost.

A closer look at the Steam Box:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/4/50637 ... the-future
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

Leebo33
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Leebo33 »

I am pretty pumped for next Friday. I have a lot of vacation days to burn before the end of the year so I'm taking off. The PS4 will be my first pre-ordered console that I will be picking up on release day so I feel like a bit of a kid approaching Christmas. I'm going to take advantage of the Target B2G1 deal but I haven't decided yet on what games to get except NBA2K14. It will be a game time decision on Tuesday or whenever the games are available for purchase at Target.

I have a Xbox One also pre-ordered but I'm most likely going to sell it. The Xbox has had some great exclusives over the years but for some reason I've always been drawn more towards the Playstation exclusives like Ico, Shadow of the Colossus, The Show, Uncharted, Little Big Planet, Gran Turismo and in the past exclusives like Metal Gear, Final Fantasy, Ace Combat, etc. I'm also drawn to the PS4 first due to appearance, size/portability (still switch between a couple TVs), price, and the suspend feature (hopefully soon...grrrrr). I think and hope the Xbox One will be a great console and I'll have one sooner rather than later, but I'm not much of a TV watcher, don't have Kinect now and don't miss it, and don't game online much. I still have two Xbox 360s so I will still be on Live and still be able to play GTA, NHL 14, Rocksmith, and the kids will be playing Minecraft for many months to come. Getting the One just seems kind of redundant right now as I don't have a working Playstation console (near launch PS3 bit the dust a month or so ago).

I will be getting the PS4, but you never know...I could end up with both. I'd like to hold off though if for nothing else than to have something new to look forward to in the future.