XBox One AND PS4 Discussion

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: New Xbox AND PS4 Info/Rumors

Post by XXXIV »

pigpen81 wrote:I think the that Microsoft has moved beyond what I am looking for in a gaming system.

They may have jumped the shark...We shall see.

I dont care if the next ones come out for two three more years. Id prefer it that way. Im very happy with what I have. Thanks.

kevinpars
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by kevinpars »

I am in no hurry to go to the next generation until I see games released that I need to own. I got the 360 close to release and was disappointed with Madden and really didn't find a game I loved until Oblivion and Dead Rising. I liked COD 2 but it was a pretty straightforward shooter. Honestly, I felt like EA failed this generation in sports games other than NHL. While I was a 360 player up until a few months ago, I would have to admit that The Show (current version) s the best sports game (big 4 sports) that I have played this generation.

Not willing to spend a lot on a new console at this point but maybe i am just getting old.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

It's what I've been saying from the early goings of this particular thread. I've been enjoying the current crop of games and while I welcome the next-Gen, I doubt I will be lining first in line to get the One or PS4. The announcement this week of the Xbone wasn't any earth shattering and it's clear that MS is gearing more towards the total home entertainment package. From a gamers point of view, the PS4 had more to reveal but at the end the day, I will be getting the console where my buddies seem to be more inclined to play in their living room.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

MS knows exactly what it's doing with this console, shifting it more toward an entertainment center.

Gaming has gone mobile. My sons don't even spend that much time gaming on our 360 anymore. They play on their iPads and iPods.

I don't game on the 360 that much anymore, either, even though I don't own a mobile device capable of gaming. But I wouldn't think of selling my 360 because it has become a vital entertainment hub in our house. Everyone except for my wife uses it as a conduit for streaming content through our HDTV in the basement.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

You can get good streaming boxes for $99 or less.

They won't have the fancy PIP and the use of voice commands or motion gestures to flip channels. But the Xbone will probably have to rely on IR blasters and likely the some subscription to use the features. MS probably couldn't believe their luck that people paid for XBL Gold and then spent more time using Netflix than using the other features, given the fact that there are dozens of other devices which will allow you to access Netflix without paying the XBL surcharge on top of the Netflix subscription.

So however much for the new console plus some kind of XBL subscription to flip channels on your TV with your voice or gestures.

I think if they really wanted to bring innovation to TV, they would have found a way to strike deals with the media companies to let you access any show on demand and pay only for those shows that you want to watch. But nobody has been able to get a deal like this. So what they have is some layer between your regular cable TV subscription or your streaming subscription and you. As long as you pay for the extra layer of flash.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Those streaming boxes don't give me the options to play games with friends when I want. I said my gaming time has declined -- not ended.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Vita can play all PS4 games via remote play..... I don't own a Vita but this is very cool. Wonder if there will be a PS4 bundle with the Vita?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/ ... -ps4-games

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

sportdan30 wrote:Vita can play all PS4 games via remote play..... I don't own a Vita but this is very cool. Wonder if there will be a PS4 bundle with the Vita?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/29/ ... -ps4-games
Definitely a good shot in the arm for the Vita.

Aristo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Aristo »

I have a Vita I haven't played in months. The idea of a $400+ add on to make it more relevant is kind of sad.
XBL Gamertag: JayhawkerStL

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

I don't see it that way. If you held on to your Vita or just recently purchased one, I don't see how this is anything but a positive for a handheld that has done poorly up to this point. Sure, they're basically mimicking Nintendo, but I think being able to play Madden, Fifa, NHL, Uncharted, Infamous, etc. etc. while someone else is watching tv is a nice feature. It's certainly better than Nintendo's big, uncomfortable game pad.

The only negative I see is the price. At this time or in the future, I'm not ready to invest in the Vita because of the price point. If they announce a price decrease to around what the DS XL is, I think I'd be a heck of a lot more interested.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

pk500 wrote:Those streaming boxes don't give me the options to play games with friends when I want. I said my gaming time has declined -- not ended.
Sure, if you were going to migrate with XBL all along, it didn't matter that much what they did with streaming and other video content. At a minimum, they could have kept things the same way they are now with X360.

But they're making this TV integration a key part of the feature set, because I think they rightly suspect that gaming alone won't sell, probably not even at the same rate as the current generation, because of the success of mobile devices as alternative electronic toys.

So there are some wild numbers being thrown about, like MS itself says 100 million units could be possible for Xbone. Some others are talking hundreds of millions, because they see how well phones and tablets are selling, so why shouldn't some do-everything box controlling your TV have similar success?

Basically they seem to be trying to lure the casual or non-gamers the way the Wii successfully lured them, to break out of the gaming console ghetto. If you're going to subscribe to XBL anyways because you'd be gaming enough, then these TV features are a nice bonus (assuming you get all the gaming and TV features with the same subscription). But if you're not a heavy gamer but intrigued by the TV features, then the idea of paying for a next-gen console and then paying some subscription on top to use those features is pretty hard to justify.

The negative for gamers may be the way they handle used games. Could mean you can't rent games nor even borrow them, without paying some fee, in addition to making it harder to sell games after you're done with them. But there's suspicion that Sony would impose some similar scheme, because the developers and publishers really want to get a piece of the used games pie.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

I heard in Gamestop today that the Xbox One is supposed to allow for HD video capture and screenshots for any game you are playing with no additional hardware needed. If true, that might actually be the biggest selling point for me strangely enough. It bugs the crap out of me that the current gen does not allow for that when I can use a $37 app like FRAPS on the PC to capture video or screenshots of any game while I am playing with little to no degradation in the framerate.
Last edited by DChaps on Wed May 29, 2013 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

DChaps wrote:I heard in Gamestop today that the Xbox One is supposed to allow for HD video capture and screenshots for any game you are playing with no additional hardware needed. If true, that might actually be the biggest selling point for me strangely enough. It bugs the crap out of me that the current gen does not allow for that when I can use a $50 app like FRAPS on the PC to capture video or screenshots of any game while I am playing with little to no degradation in the framerate.
Sony also talked up the ability to share clips from any game, at any time as well.

Didn't realize people were really into this. I saw $100 boxes advertised on Best Buy flyer for capturing gaming sessions.

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

wco81 wrote: Didn't realize people were really into this. I saw $100 boxes advertised on Best Buy flyer for capturing gaming sessions.
Most require a PC or laptop to connect them and you need to mess with your 360/TV setup, especially if you are using HDMI. It can be done, but it is a pain in the butt. I think Danimal recently purchased one of the better ones that does not require PC/laptop hookup to work but it costs as much as I paid for my 360 itself. If more games actually had historical stat tracking and leaderboards that could be accessed via the web, I would not necessarily need this functionality.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Man you guys don't listen to me.

http://gamerzone.avermedia.com/game_cap ... r_portable

No PC required captures 360 and PS3 to an SD card.

Here is some BF3 I captured on the 360

Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

DChaps
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DChaps »

Danimal wrote:Man you guys don't listen to me.
Well I do, hence the following :)
DChaps wrote:Most require a PC or laptop to connect them and you need to mess with your 360/TV setup, especially if you are using HDMI. It can be done, but it is a pain in the butt. I think Danimal recently purchased one of the better ones that does not require PC/laptop hookup to work but it costs as much as I paid for my 360 itself. If more games actually had historical stat tracking and leaderboards that could be accessed via the web, I would not necessarily need this functionality.
Nice video. Do you keep the Live Gamer Portable hooked up at all times? Are you finding any drawbacks in the setup?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DChaps wrote: Nice video. Do you keep the Live Gamer Portable hooked up at all times? Are you finding any drawbacks in the setup?
Doh sorry bother I am an igit.

I do not leave it hooked up all the time because it doesn't work if you try and watch a DVD or Blu-Ray on the PS3. I have no idea what they did to prevent that and frankly if I wanted to rip one of this I wouldn't be using this device.

The setup for the 360 and PS3 is easy if you're doing the PC free thing. Literally takes 2 minutes. If you want to live stream on the console you need to use a PC in conjunction with it. I also haven't figured out a way to get live commentary on the console without using a PC but that is not why I got it.

The PC setup is easy if you use HDMI. If you don't like me and you have DVI you need adapters cables and my usb headset wouldn't record. So as a single solution on the PC its kind of wonky. However if you have Xsplit which is what I currently use to record and do live streams on the PC it works in conunction with it and its great since the LGP does all the video processing and Xsplit takes care of the audio.

Anyway back to the regular thread
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Sony CEO plays down ‘media hub’ and says PlayStation 4 is for gamers

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/sony- ... or-gamers/
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Good to see they have turned the page. :wink:

DivotMaker
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by DivotMaker »

Murph wrote:Sony CEO plays down ‘media hub’ and says PlayStation 4 is for gamers

http://venturebeat.com/2013/05/30/sony- ... or-gamers/
As expected.....Kaz Hirai.....propaganda chief of the PS3. Expect more tit for tat from him. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth remembering all the outlandish claims he made regarding the PS3. I'll rely on what I see at E3 and the lead up to launch from those in the industry I trust instead of Sony or MS.....

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

http://www.gamespot.com/news/preowned-g ... er-6409422

Rentals:
"Microsoft says that there will be no option to loan or rent software at the launch of the Xbox One, but that it is "exploring the possibilities with our partners."

Used Games:
"Microsoft has said that the availability of preowned games on Xbox One will be decided by individual publishers, but that eligible Xbox One games will be able to be traded and resold without paying a fee. In our role as a game publisher," reads a statement from Microsoft, "Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Provided the individual publisher approves, disc-based Xbox One games are also able to be traded between friends, but only once per-game. There are no fees for trading titles between friends, Microsoft says, but users are required to have been friends on Xbox Live for at least 30 days before making a trade."

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

So sounds like no eBay or Craigslist.

Many countries support the notion of first-sale doctrine. Wonder how this scheme won't be in conflict with those laws.

Will Sony make the same stupid mistake?

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

I saw this on neogaf:

Bleh. Such an anti-consumer direction from MS. I really think I'm out.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Eurogamer has a different take on this which is even more interesting. It appears Microsoft along with the XBOX One are looking to turn the XBL live service into a sort of iTunes service if you will. So in essence you don't own your game, only the license. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... s-to-smile

Honestly, I think the big publishers are going to lean on Sony as well. Sony may say you can play offline but I don't think they will have support from EA and others if only MS is having the end user register their game license online.

Web, I feel the same way. It's an absolute NO for me on the Xbox One and there's a 90% chance i'll skip the PS4 as well. I still have WAY too many games for both the PS3 and 360 I can still play.

webdanzer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by webdanzer »

Same here. I have games here I can play for a long, long time. Heck, I still even play on the original xbox on occasion.

The hard part is going to be the kids and Christmas. I know my boys will want one, and my original thinking was to simply cede the household 'master gamer' mantle to them and get 'Dad' out of the console game, maybe playing a game or two on 'their' system now and then.

But now, I don't think I want to spend any money on this thing at all, let alone let it into my house.