MLB 12 The Show

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: MLB 12 The Show

Post by Brando70 »

Having played a few exhibitions, I'll definitely start on All-Star defaults, with Pulse Pitching and Zone Hitting. I'm leaving the splotch for now as I could use the little bit of extra help. Same goes for leaving guess pitch on, although I never use guess location. I also prefer Analog Throwing because it feels more intuitive to me, pushing in the direction corresponding to where I want to throw vs. pushing buttons.

I could see myself going back to Analog Pitching with all the indicators turned off and my house rule that I always have to move the left stick before throwing. However, it's still too easy to get fastballs over the plate, so for now I'm sticking with pulse. I like the outcomes and the strategy behind it even though the interface is not my favorite.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

I deleted my franchise as I just need some more time with the game, I can't hit for squat and pulse pitching, while fun.. is starting to frustrate me on AS default. I might start on veteran for everything.

What exactly is classic pitching and zone hitting? I don't really want the whole game controlled completely by ratings. I'm also going to switch to the catcher camera for pitching as there are way to many balls that go right past the infielders because by the time I react, the ball is either just out of reach or for some reason, under their glove. (this is using assist)

I'm going to try meter pitching tonight. I do like analog fielding with the meter off, that probably won't change for me, although I do have trouble figuring out how to jump and dive for balls.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Zone hitting and classic pitching is the easy way of pitching and hitting. The game calculates the power and accuracy of the pitch by how long you press and hold the button. Zone hitting calculates where you'll make contact depending on the pitch thrown and your player stats.

I always use classic pitching and zone hitting. For pitching I turn off the strike zone, makes it more realistic.

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Rodster, that's timing hitting. Zone hitting is using the left stick to "aim" where you're swinging and then clicking the regular, power, or contact swing buttons.

I like the analog hitting idea, but like DB has said, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm also really bad at it.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

ok, so zone is timing, but you guess the zone to increase your chances of getting good contact? What zone do you use, 1/4, 1/6, etc? Also, do you use guess pitch?

for classic pitching, you just point and then hold the button down, the longer you hold it, the harder it's thrown?

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Ok I am going to be a little dense here, but has Sony come out with a new roster update yet and if so, how in the heck do I go about downloading it?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:Ok I am going to be a little dense here, but has Sony come out with a new roster update yet and if so, how in the heck do I go about downloading it?
Not since the initial one when you boot up the game. The opening day rosters usually hit a week or two after the season starts, but you're better off hitting up OS and getting some of the user created rosters. They include a lot more rookies and whatnot.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Brando70 wrote:Rodster, that's timing hitting. Zone hitting is using the left stick to "aim" where you're swinging and then clicking the regular, power, or contact swing buttons.

I like the analog hitting idea, but like DB has said, it just doesn't feel right to me. I'm also really bad at it.
Yeah that's what I meant. I prefer timed hitting.

MizzouRah wrote: for classic pitching, you just point and then hold the button down, the longer you hold it, the harder it's thrown?
Yeah that's it but the longer you hold the button, your accuracy drops with it unless you are using a stud pitcher.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
Brando70 wrote:Rodster, that's timing hitting. Zone hitting is using the left stick to "aim" where you're swinging and then clicking the regular, power, or contact swing buttons.

Yeah that's what I meant. I prefer timed hitting.

MizzouRah wrote: for classic pitching, you just point and then hold the button down, the longer you hold it, the harder it's thrown?
Yeah that's it but the longer you hold the button, your accuracy drops with it unless you are using a stud pitcher.
Are you on veteran? How in the heck do you get hits? I either strikeout or hit it hard right to a player on the other team.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

MizzouRah wrote:Are you on veteran? How in the heck do you get hits? I either strikeout or hit it hard right to a player on the other team.
Yeah I play on veteran. If you're using timed hitting you just have to learn to time the ball. I find timing the ball a lot easier in the Show than in MLB 2K. But since that's how i've played both games the same way hitting wise i've gotten used to timed hitting.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Last night I continued my RTTS with a game promoting breast cancer awareness. All of the players used pink bats.. Great touch!
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Darkbandit wrote:Ok I am going to be a little dense here, but has Sony come out with a new roster update yet and if so, how in the heck do I go about downloading it?
Not since the initial one when you boot up the game. The opening day rosters usually hit a week or two after the season starts, but you're better off hitting up OS and getting some of the user created rosters. They include a lot more rookies and whatnot.
Probably will go that route, I wasnt sure if I was missing something or not.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Rodster wrote:
MizzouRah wrote:Are you on veteran? How in the heck do you get hits? I either strikeout or hit it hard right to a player on the other team.
Yeah I play on veteran. If you're using timed hitting you just have to learn to time the ball. I find timing the ball a lot easier in the Show than in MLB 2K. But since that's how i've played both games the same way hitting wise i've gotten used to timed hitting.
See, I think hitting in 2k12 much easier and I even use "analog" with that game. In fact, all around.. I find MLB 2k12 easier to play and I walk more hitters. The Show is just a harder game for me, and I probably just need more time with it. I'll put everything on veteran and work from there, I'm just not comfortable with this game yet.

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

MizzouRah wrote:Anyone else start a franchise yet? What settings are you using, how is your team doing, what moves have you made?
I started my Tribe season the day I bought the game. I'm 10-16 so far. All Star, default, timing hitting, classic pitching.

I'm not a real stickler for perfectly accurate rosters. The way I see it, once the injuries start kicking in (in R/L and in The Show) the rosters aren't going to be identical anyways.

Plus, in my The Show season, Fausto Carmona is STILL Fausto Carmona and is pitching quite well. :D

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

To those that hit too much, too little, always hit hrs, never hit one, etc. Remember that there is a lot of statistical variation in this game.

You especially see it if you play a season. Weird things happen where I won't hit a hr for 6 games after hitting 4 in a game, or a pitcher will walk me 7 times in a game after thinking I need to adjust the sliders for more walks.

Give it a while before you make any conclusions.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

lexbur wrote:Plus, in my The Show season, Fausto Carmona is STILL Fausto Carmona and is pitching quite well.
ok kewl. Didn't know MLB 12 had an arcade mode

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

vinny-b wrote:
lexbur wrote:Plus, in my The Show season, Fausto Carmona is STILL Fausto Carmona and is pitching quite well.
Lol. I'm surprised how well he's pitched for me. In fact, my whole rotation has been the bizarro rotation so far. The two guys at the top of the rotation who are supposed to be the studs (Jimenez and Masterson) have been terrible, they're a combined 1-9 so far, both have ERAs over 6. And the last three guys (Tomlin, Lowe and Carmona) have been decent.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

lexbur wrote:
vinny-b wrote:
Lol. I'm surprised how well he's pitched for me. In fact, my whole rotation has been the bizarro rotation so far. The two guys at the top of the rotation who are supposed to be the studs (Jimenez and Masterson) have been terrible, they're a combined 1-9 so far, both have ERAs over 6. And the last three guys (Tomlin, Lowe and Carmona) have been decent.
happy you havin fun with the game, Lex.

expect my Gamefly version will arrive today.

btw: who have your key offense players been? Sizemore rebound?

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

vinny-b wrote:btw: who have your key offense players been? Sizemore rebound?
Sizemore strikes out too much, just like R/L. Brantley, Choo and Santana are all hitting well. And Kipnis was hitting almost .400 until he got hurt (60-day DL).

But Travis Hafner's been a BEAST! .350, 10 HRs, 25 RBI through 26 games. Apparently the guys at San Diego Studio think he can play every day. Hell, I'll go along with that. :D

Enjoy your Gamefly version!

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Vin-

Enjoy the game. Curious of your take on RTTS. Remember you were disappointed last year.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

AJColossal wrote:Vin-

Enjoy the game. Curious of your take on RTTS. Remember you were disappointed last year.
thanks, AJ. It didn't arrive yet

had planned to take the year off from this title. However, the feedback from all of you on this board have been too positive. Apparently new physics model really makes a difference. In addition, from checkin videos on youtube, the presentation looks likes its taken a step forward too

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

I just switched to Pure Analog hitting... It might be my imagination but I feel as if i'm seeing different ball physics when the ball comes off the bat using this mode. Anyone else think anything similar?
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

Kinght over at OS updated today that the full minor league rosters are 85-90% complete. Really looking forward to getting those and starting a franchise.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

FifaInspected wrote:I just switched to Pure Analog hitting... It might be my imagination but I feel as if i'm seeing different ball physics when the ball comes off the bat using this mode. Anyone else think anything similar?
I've been using the analog for hitting since day 1 on the Vita. It just seems more natural and fluid to me.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

FifaInspected wrote:I just switched to Pure Analog hitting... It might be my imagination but I feel as if i'm seeing different ball physics when the ball comes off the bat using this mode. Anyone else think anything similar?
I was using the normal analog.. pure analog was way too tough for me! :)