Grand Theft Auto V

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Post by Danimal »

This is literally the biggest forum effect purchase ever for me. I always by the GTA games and I'm bored with them in 3 or 4 days. However I don't think it is possible to pass this one up.
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Well, if no one else wants to step up and create the DSP crew (xbox 360), I will.

Should we just go with DSP as the crew name, or something more gangsta? :D
XBL/PSN: Pete1210

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

DSP IS gangsta :P

RallyMonkey
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by RallyMonkey »

Danimal wrote:This is literally the biggest forum effect purchase ever for me. I always by the GTA games and I'm bored with them in 3 or 4 days. However I don't think it is possible to pass this one up.
My thoughts exactly

Brando70
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Brando70 »

XXXIV wrote:DSP IS gangsta :P
Digital Shot Penetration?

Drop Shot Posse?

Defective Shotgun Pellets?

Done Swearing, Paul?

Don't Speak Politics?

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brando70 wrote:Done Swearing, Paul?
LOLOL! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

F*ck you. NEVER!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Brando70 wrote: Drop Shot Posse?
I like that one.

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

Danimal wrote:I always by the GTA games and I'm bored with them in 3 or 4 days.
To be honest, Dan, I don't think that's going to change with GTA V at least until the multiplayer DLC is released. At the end of the day it's still an open-world game and as a result is stuck with the problem that none of the mechanics (driving, shooting, fighting etc) are going to be as good as a game that is dedicated to one of those things. I think if you found the mission structure in the other GTA games to be boring, I don't see this one being much different.

Online on the other hand is a different story but in a month the shooters (COD, BF4) come out so I don't know what the shelf life will be.
Brando70 wrote:There's always the visceral thrill at first of going on a mayhem spree, but long term, it's had for me to stay interested when the only goal is to be the biggest, most ruthless asshole in the game world.
I hardly ever go on random mayhem sprees outside of what you're required to do in missions but I agree that the ludonarrative dissonance in GTA is a big issue. I'm playing through GTA IV (again, 3rd time) and in the story beats Niko is a man trying to find peace, away from his violent past in the Balkans and yet in the last mission I re-created a scene from Heat and shot about 20 cops.

At least in Saints Row 3 and 4 you're 'supposed' to be a raving lunatic so when you shoot anything that moves its not a stretch.
Brando70 wrote:......I have never enjoyed playing a criminal.
MERACE wrote: I was wondering and hoping that there is an option in the game (or possibly added on later) to play as the "good guys" (like you can in RDR) and even take on the role of law enforcement officer?
Have you guys played Sleeping Dogs? You play an undercover cop in that one and are docked points for killing civilians - it's a small concession to 'realism' but one nonetheless. It also takes place in Hong Kong which is very different.
bdunn13 wrote:You guys mostly excited about the online or offline mode?
Offline/Single Player for sure.

I'm all about the game world and the atmosphere. I must have spent 80+ hrs in Liberty City between GTA IV and the expansions and still love just cruising around the city listening to the radio or getting out on foot and discovering new areas. Just 2 nights ago I found that behind that the warehouse on the scrapyard in northern Algonquin there are three guys sitting at one of those plastic garden tables taking a break - one is reading a book and the other two are just having lunch. It's a tiny detail but something I'm really a nerd for.

Even though they were improved in the GTA IV expansions I still finding the shooting and combat mechanics to be borderline sh!tty. I just love the world and the characters.

That said, RDR did have good combat (and a great narrative) so I'm hoping it'll be better here

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

Macca00 wrote:Even though they were improved in the GTA IV expansions I still finding the shooting and combat mechanics to be borderline sh!tty. I just love the world and the characters.

That said, RDR did have good combat (and a great narrative) so I'm hoping it'll be better here
Improvements in shooting (and driving) were promised. One article mentioned Rockstar applying shooting mechanics from both RDR and Max Payne 3. We will see soon enough!

Here's an article about how the story and missions will play out with three playable characters instead of one:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/12/471985 ... r-of-three

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

I'm pretty much with the seeming consensus here that these games loose their appeal after a while. I think I completed GTA3 and Vice City but I never even tried San Andreas and probably played through about two thirds of the story of GTA IV.

But for those first few weeks with GTA IV I was absolutely enthralled. There's something about the thick atmosphere that these games lay on that I just love. The radio stations, cruising around with the day - night cycle, exploring the sights, it's just great stuff.

Personally I very much enjoyed the better coop missions in GTA IV. There's something very cool about being with friends in the GTA world and its many insane possibilities that made the fairly straightforward and simplistic missions fun as hell, even though we did them over and over and over again. I didn't enjoy nearly as much running around in free roam MP as I did doing the structured missions. So for me, I am very much looking forward to the MP assuming I can find a way to get together with othe DSPers online and that the promises of extensive structured missions are fulfilled.

But that's not to say that I'm not excited for the single player as well. Even if my interest doesn't last throughout the entire story, I know I will get more than my money's worth as far as I'm willing to go.
Last edited by Zeppo on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Murph
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Murph »

Zeppo wrote:I'm pretty much with the seeming consensus here that these games loose their appeal after a while. I think I completed GTA3 and Vice City but I never even tried San Andreas and probably played through about two thirds of the story of GTA IV.
Whoa! San Andreas was probably my favorite of the series. I'm hoping that changes on Tueday.
XBL: Murph1
PSN: Murph_1

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Murph wrote:
Zeppo wrote:I'm pretty much with the seeming consensus here that these games loose their appeal after a while. I think I completed GTA3 and Vice City but I never even tried San Andreas and probably played through about two thirds of the story of GTA IV.
Whoa! San Andreas was probably my favorite of the series. I'm hoping that changes on Tueday.
Agree, Murph. I LOVED San Andreas. Played it on the PC.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Macca00 wrote:
Danimal wrote:I always by the GTA games and I'm bored with them in 3 or 4 days.
To be honest, Dan, I don't think that's going to change with GTA V at least until the multiplayer DLC is released. At the end of the day it's still an open-world game and as a result is stuck with the problem that none of the mechanics (driving, shooting, fighting etc) are going to be as good as a game that is dedicated to one of those things. I think if you found the mission structure in the other GTA games to be boring, I don't see this one being much different.
Well I loved Sleeping Dogs and RDR so it's not the type of game or the engine. I'm also not turned off by being a criminal, I loved the Payday game. I can't put my finger on it, I think it might be because there is so much to do I just get overwhelmed and turned off.
Follow Me on:

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Loved all the GTA games . The only one I didnt play through all the way was San Andreas( Not cause it wasnt bad ass). Even played through the expansions to GTA IV.

GTA is AWESOME! :D

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

XXXIV wrote: GTA is AWESOME! :D

I love you, man!

:)

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Just learned my local Best Buy is having a midnight launch. I might go uber-geek for the first time and attend to get my pre-ordered copy.

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:Just learned my local Best Buy is having a midnight launch. I might go uber-geek for the first time and attend to get my pre-ordered copy.
Do it! Be prepared to feel like a loser though :). The only midnight launch I ever attended was for the Dreamcast. It was at my local GameStop and it was an eye opener :). Some of the people I met there were on the low end of the gene pool...but they were gamers so I gave them props!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Zeppo
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Zeppo »

Don't bother, PK. I did it once or twice, maybe for Halo 3 and something else like Madden PS2 way way back when, and even though I could walk to the store in less than five minutes, by the time I got home I was in no mood to pop the game in and start playing. I just wanted to go straight to bed. Don't forget, it takes a long time to get through the line before you finally get to the cash register.

And what's the point of popping the game in for five minutes when you get home before hopping into bed at 1:30 or 2 AM? The first time you play it, you will want to dig in and enjoy it for a good hour or so. Also, I expect the start of the game to have some lengthy expositional cut scenes before you can even push a button, and those kinds of beginnings are excruciating when you feel crunched for time.

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

I created a crew for us. Also I would welcome any GTA V gamers on your xbox live friends list to join, figuring that most of us here have the same type of mature players on our friends list. This way we'll have a decent size crew and hopefully lots of good times running around Los Santos.

The crew name is Drop Shot Posse. (thanks Brando70). I had to use four letter as a tag, so its DSPG. I had to choose a motto and could spend way too much time trying to think of something, so I just adopted the motto of the Queen's Park F.C.: "Ludere Causa Ludendi" – to play for the sake of playing.

The crew is by invite only and the invites are sent out on the website, http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/. So you would have to join there if you haven't already (and you should link you gamertag). Then I can send you a friends invite on the Rockstar Social Club and invite to the Crew.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Zeppo wrote:Don't bother, PK. I did it once or twice, maybe for Halo 3 and something else like Madden PS2 way way back when, and even though I could walk to the store in less than five minutes, by the time I got home I was in no mood to pop the game in and start playing. I just wanted to go straight to bed. Don't forget, it takes a long time to get through the line before you finally get to the cash register.

And what's the point of popping the game in for five minutes when you get home before hopping into bed at 1:30 or 2 AM? The first time you play it, you will want to dig in and enjoy it for a good hour or so. Also, I expect the start of the game to have some lengthy expositional cut scenes before you can even push a button, and those kinds of beginnings are excruciating when you feel crunched for time.
Thanks. Yeah, I probably won't go at midnight. My son's skates need sharpening, and the local hockey pro shop is near the closest Best Buy. So I'll just combine those errands into one trip.

News flash: I'm cheap like that. :)

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

mike95 wrote:I created a crew for us. Also I would welcome any GTA V gamers on your xbox live friends list to join, figuring that most of us here have the same type of mature players on our friends list. This way we'll have a decent size crew and hopefully lots of good times running around Los Santos.

The crew name is Drop Shot Posse. (thanks Brando70). I had to use four letter as a tag, so its DSPG. I had to choose a motto and could spend way too much time trying to think of something, so I just adopted the motto of the Queen's Park F.C.: "Ludere Causa Ludendi" – to play for the sake of playing.

The crew is by invite only and the invites are sent out on the website, http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/. So you would have to join there if you haven't already (and you should link you gamertag). Then I can send you a friends invite on the Rockstar Social Club and invite to the Crew.
Done!
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Macca00
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Macca00 »

mike95 wrote:I created a crew for us. Also I would welcome any GTA V gamers on your xbox live friends list to join, figuring that most of us here have the same type of mature players on our friends list. This way we'll have a decent size crew and hopefully lots of good times running around Los Santos.

Great stuff! I requested an invite.

bulls23
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by bulls23 »

Brando70 wrote:
XXXIV wrote:DSP IS gangsta :P
Digital Shot Penetration?

Drop Shot Posse?

Defective Shotgun Pellets?

Done Swearing, Paul?

Don't Speak Politics?
LMAO This made me spit out my Mad Dog 20/20

Sudz
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sudz »

Do i need to link my account on the web or can i do it in the game?

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

For whatever reason it is not letting me link my Xbox account.
Follow Me on: