Hockey Night in DSP-Season 2011-12

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

tjung0831
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Hockey Night in DSP-Season 2011-12

Post by tjung0831 »

I would love to see the Bettman just come out and say if the PA doesn't accept the deal by October 25th, they will cancel the season. No need to leave the fans hanging on just to end up cancelling the season Jan 1st.
Tim

"tjungin it"

PS4 - tjung0831
Xbox - NHLTIM

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

tjung0831 wrote:I would love to see the Bettman just come out and say if the PA doesn't accept the deal by October 25th, they will cancel the season. No need to leave the fans hanging on just to end up cancelling the season Jan 1st.
Based on what transpired today, by that deadline you will see the cancellation of the AS game, winter classic and a chunk of the season gone ashtray for sure. But to call off the entire season, my guess is that they'll will continue to bridge the gap of what 50/50 really means for both parties for 2-3 more weeks at which point if nothing comes out once December starts, you can indeed kiss this season goodbye.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The players say their third proposal was for an immediate 50-50 split, but to honor all existing contracts. I don't think the players proposals are nearly as bad as the owners implied yesterday.

I'm not sure if this is a good sign or bad sign.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Naples39 wrote:The players say their third proposal was for an immediate 50-50 split, but to honor all existing contracts. I don't think the players proposals are nearly as bad as the owners implied yesterday.

I'm not sure if this is a good sign or bad sign.
Obviously those players that remained unsigned will take a big hit. What bugs me about the owners is that they themselves payed the ridiculous money under ridiculous contracts when they found a loophole in the last agreement, and now they want that bad investment back as part of the 50/50 share. The players want the equal profit shares to begin with the new contract while the owners want some of their money back.

If the owners are so adamant about getting their bad investment, why nobody focuses on the sad state in Arizona, Columbus, Florida who have bleeding $$$ for awhile now?

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Games already cancelled thru Nov 1st.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The way I see it, once you take out all of the rhetoric and posturing from both sides, they are close to an agreement. They should have been at this point a month ago, as everyone knew the players weren't going to settle for the ridiculous split the owners proposed, and they weren't going to get the 57% they were getting under the old agreement. The players gave up a ton in the CBA after the last lockout. They are willing to give up even more in their latest set of proposals. I don't see them buckling on the honoring of current contracts, though. The players who signed this summer may not have changed teams or signed contracts if they thought the contracts would not be honored as agreed upon. I am totally in their corner on that issue. Do the 50/50 split and iron out the particulars. Honor current contracts. Meet in the middle on all the other stuff. Start the season. Surely they can do this soon. I'm tired of reading about how the owners can sit this out until they get their way, and a lost season may even benefit the owners. Yeah, we'll see how much everyone benefits if we lose yet another season and fans do not return to the sport. Hardcore fans such as myself will always be there as long as there is a NHL, but new fans to the sport and casual fans may not be so inclined to forgive so readily since they will have an easier time moving on and finding some other outlet to throw their money and time at.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

10spro wrote:Games already cancelled thru Nov 1st.
Id like to see the owners and their scumbag stooge betman get cancelled.

They are such douchebags.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

As the current lock out continues, CBC has been running good old classic games of the past every Saturday night. Just finished watching Canucks-Flames game 7 of the first round of playoffs in 94. Ah, watching these guys just made me really miss the season for the first time.

Linden, Courtnall, Ronning, Bure, McLean.

How about this name for the FLames: Zarley Zalapski. But of course the guy who really could shoot the puck for them was Al Mcinnis.

That game in 94 had it all, speed, skill, fights and a thriller in OT. Very few whistles were blown as the refs really enjoyed this one too. Ah, the memories...

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

10spro wrote:As the current lock out continues, CBC has been running good old classic games of the past every Saturday night. Just finished watching Canucks-Flames game 7 of the first round of playoffs in 94. Ah, watching these guys just made me really miss the season for the first time.

Linden, Courtnall, Ronning, Bure, McLean.

How about this name for the FLames: Zarley Zalapski. But of course the guy who really could shoot the puck for them was Al Mcinnis.

That game in 94 had it all, speed, skill, fights and a thriller in OT. Very few whistles were blown as the refs really enjoyed this one too. Ah, the memories...
NHL 94 was a hell of a game on the Genesis too :)
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Diablo25 wrote:NHL 94 was a hell of a game on the Genesis too :)
ROENICK!
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

Diablo25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Diablo25 »

pk500 wrote:
Diablo25 wrote:NHL 94 was a hell of a game on the Genesis too :)
ROENICK!
Roe nick walked on water in that game! Coincidentally, one of the guys on the super team we played in the now infamous EASHL game last night was named Roenick. Schooled us.
XBLive Gamertag - Diablo25
PSN Name - EPDiablo25

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

The Brooklyn Islanders?
"New York Islanders & Barclays Center To Make Major Announcement"
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=644105

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Naples39 wrote:The Brooklyn Islanders?

Yep. Brooklyn it is.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

Pete1210
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Pete1210 »

FifaInspected wrote:
Naples39 wrote:The Brooklyn Islanders?

Yep. Brooklyn it is.
Just heard on the FAN, the official announcement was made by Islanders owner, Charles Wang, that the team is moving to Brooklyn in 2015.
At one time this would have upset me. I grew up a hardcore Isles fan from around 1974, watching (or listening on radio) as they went deeper into the playoffs each year, through the 4 year dynasty and then for some years after that. The team has been so irrelevant and managed so ineptly over the last 20 years that I lost interest.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Nassau was a sinking ship for the Isles with all the empty seats. Brooklyn has a capacity of just over 14.000, not great but with much easier transportation venues it will be enough of a start to make this franchise return to respectability.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Brooklyn is on the western tip of Long Island. I know that's heresy for all Brooklynites, but Rand McNally proves it's true.

So Brooklyn Islanders has a nice, accurate ring to it. :)

Wang is one of the worst owners in the NHL, but no one can blame him for this move. The Barclays Center is a showpiece in a rising part of America's largest city. Nassau Coliseum is one of the biggest dumps in the NHL, right up there with Rexall Place in Edmonton. :x
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I think it'll be great even for Rangers fans, which by the way obviously they don't mind such move so why would the whinny Leafs nation worry about a second team in the Ontario area such as Hamilton or Markham for that matter?

WillHunting
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by WillHunting »

10spro wrote:Nassau was a sinking ship for the Isles with all the empty seats. Brooklyn has a capacity of just over 14.000, not great but with much easier transportation venues it will be enough of a start to make this franchise return to respectability.
Up until August of this year, I live about 10 blocks from the Barclays stadium. Thank god I moved because traffic there will be absolute hell once NBA (and whenever NHL decides to pull its head out of its ass) season starts.
+++++++++++++++
Gamertag: The Praxis
+++++++++++++++

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by LAking »

WillHunting wrote:
10spro wrote:Nassau was a sinking ship for the Isles with all the empty seats. Brooklyn has a capacity of just over 14.000, not great but with much easier transportation venues it will be enough of a start to make this franchise return to respectability.
Up until August of this year, I live about 10 blocks from the Barclays stadium. Thank god I moved because traffic there will be absolute hell once NBA (and whenever NHL decides to pull its head out of its ass) season starts.
I'll be moving to NY as soon as two months and if not then by June at the latest. Right now Prospect Heights is near the top of my list of neighborhoods i'll be apartment hunting in. Should be very easy to get to Barclays. I'll get to watch the Kings play there once a year...yay.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The NHL is about to announce the cancellation of all games through November 30. I sure as hell thought that the sides would hammer something out by now in order to avoid this stupidity since they are not really all that far away in their proposals. Ryan Miller sums things up the best: "The two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades -- just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side."

Has any other commish in any sport had as many games cancelled during his tenure as Gary Bettman? That f***er makes over $8 million per year (over double what he made before the last lockout) and is easily the worst commissioner in all of pro sports. Three lockouts during one person's reign is just ridiculous and a complete and utter failure of leadership. I don't care which side is right or wrong in this instance. The fact that the NHL is going through this s*** again, and in the face of record revenue to boot, is f***in infuriating.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

toonarmy wrote:The NHL is about to announce the cancellation of all games through November 30. I sure as hell thought that the sides would hammer something out by now in order to avoid this stupidity since they are not really all that far away in their proposals. Ryan Miller sums things up the best: "The two sides are close enough to a deal that missing the bulk of a season is wrong and missing an entire season is not only insane, it is a blatant disregard for the sport, the fans and the culture we have grown over decades -- just to satisfy egos, not the needs of either side."

Has any other commish in any sport had as many games cancelled during his tenure as Gary Bettman? That f***er makes over $8 million per year (over double what he made before the last lockout) and is easily the worst commissioner in all of pro sports. Three lockouts during one person's reign is just ridiculous and a complete and utter failure of leadership. I don't care which side is right or wrong in this instance. The fact that the NHL is going through this s*** again, and in the face of record revenue to boot, is f***in infuriating.
I'm beginning to agree. This is incompetence. Forget who's right or wrong, 3 lockouts in 18 years is silly. On top of that, the owners got what they wanted last time, and they f***ed it up.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The league doesn't need a commish anymore but a "President" that corresponds to both owners and players alike and makes decisions accordingly. Bettman is feeling the heat I believe from some owners because he guaranteed them that the players salaries % would be dropped with a new CA. At this point, he obviously misjudged the PA's resolve and here we are in a battle of egos again. Fehr is a tough SOB too and in the end only those that really care about the game suffers: Us, the fans.

With the NO-vember cancellation now, I am pretty sure that the Winter Classic and AS game will be next. I always thought that an 82 games season was too much anyways, 70 is more to my liking but even if we are optimist for that number, these idiots have to seat down and talk. yet nothing is planned for now.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Naples39 wrote:
I'm beginning to agree. This is incompetence. Forget who's right or wrong, 3 lockouts in 18 years is silly. On top of that, the owners got what they wanted last time, and they f***ed it up.

Welcome aboard. :wink:

This guy needs to be gutted in the worst way. He is the epitome of filth in sport.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

The Winter Classic has now been officially cancelled. These clowns can go f*** themselves.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Time for some Larry Robinson highlights. What a bad ass mother f***er. Kick your ass, gut your ass and slice you up.