Anger Management article about online gaming

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

After selling Top Spin today I was inspired with thoughts of what I´d like to see happen in online gaming. You can check it out here.
<BR>
<BR><!-- BBCode Start --><A HREF="http://www.scooponsports.com/anger120603.htm" TARGET="_blank">Online gaming rant</A><!-- BBCode End -->
<BR>
<BR>Your thoughts?
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

Scoop....good rants.
<BR>
<BR>Unfortunately online gaming brings out the cheese in most people who would rather win any way they can rather than honorably.
<BR>
<BR>I now exclusively only play online in Sim style leagues(NHL Extreme for one) and with DS guys on Poker nights and Links Tournamnets.
<BR>
<BR>Hopefully developers can add some fixes in next years versions....
<BR>
<BR>I for one would like to see a better risk/reward system that lowers rankings for players that use the top teams/players exclusively and rewards those who play with the Chargers, Predators, Clippers, Devil Rays, etc.
<BR>
<BR>I think it would help with the top team syndrome many of us have seen.
<BR>
<BR>Nice work!

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

I don´t like online games which force you to play through the singleplayer game to unlock stuff for use online either. I played through a lot of TEDIOUS singleplayer of Midnight Club 2 just to unlock some decent cars and finally I got fed up with it and sold it.
<BR>
<BR>But I understand why developers do it. If you can access all the levels, cars, tracks, etc. by going online, the longetivity of the game will be nonexistent. Then people could just rent the game, go online and never have to buy the game since they could see everything.
<BR>
<BR>Plus I´m sure they put most of their effort on the singleplayer modes so they want people to spend time on them.
<BR>
<BR>But some day, maybe they´ll realize that online is its own end, deserving of more attention in the design, then as mere extension of singleplayer modes.

Boom
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Boom »

Good rant with some very valid points.
<BR>
<BR>I didn´t own Top Spin for more than 48 hours, but I thought for sure you could go online and set games up for either created players or just pro players. Could be wrong, but I could have sworn I had that option when setting up a game.
<BR>
<BR>Links 2004 let´s you earn money by how well you play online. Granted it´s not much, but you do earn money that can be used toward purchasing attribute points offline.
<BR>
<BR>PGR2 allows you to earn Kudos online that can be used toward unlocking cars, but it does take a lot more kudos to level up online than it does offline.
<BR>
<BR>No matter what happens though, I think cheesers and annoying online gameplay will run rampant.
<BR>
<BR>For that very reason I never play just some random person online (other than in SOCOM II and that gets annoying as well).
<BR>
<BR>I´ve learned that one online gaming community really isn´t enough to find a game whenever I´m available so I´ve branched out a bit. Between here, OS and FGO I´ve got a pretty good base of online gamers that enjoy playing the same games I do in the same realistic manner I do.
<BR>
<BR>