OT: WebOS Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: WebOS Tablet Thread

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:Sorry don't buy it. Last time I checked DSP is not the only website on the net. You can surf the web, read books play some games, listen to music on the TouchPad. You can do that until it quits working. For $150 it's still a fantastic buy and if they get Android on the HP TP then that will extend things even further.

And yes I do allegedly own a Galaxy Tab, still have the receipt to prove it. :)
Best $99 I ever spent...period.

Won't tire of it unless I tire of the web, photos and email.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JackB1 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Sorry don't buy it. Last time I checked DSP is not the only website on the net. You can surf the web, read books play some games, listen to music on the TouchPad. You can do that until it quits working. For $150 it's still a fantastic buy and if they get Android on the HP TP then that will extend things even further.

And yes I do allegedly own a Galaxy Tab, still have the receipt to prove it. :)
Best $99 I ever spent...period.

Won't tire of it unless I tire of the web, photos and email.
Exactly my point Jack. It's not like the device comes with an expiration date. Even if all the software dries up there should be no problem doing the basics with it for as long as you want. And at $99-150 it's a fantastic buy. :)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Don't understand why do you guys feel the need to keep making excuses for yourselves.

The TP for the current price is a plain steal.

If people want to keep comparing it with an iPad and a Galaxy 10.1 then God bless them.

I'll keep enjoying my bargain tablet, waiting for HP to keep its promise of maintaining support, and in the worst case, it should be a damn good Android tablet in the not so distant future, all for a whopping $150 (32gb).

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Don't understand why do you guys feel the need to keep making excuses for yourselves.

The TP for the current price is a plain steal.

If people want to keep comparing it with an iPad and a Galaxy 10.1 then God bless them.

I'll keep enjoying my bargain tablet, waiting for HP to keep its promise of maintaining support, and in the worst case, it should be a damn good Android tablet in the not so distant future, all for a whopping $150 (32gb).
It's just a few certain people (mostly one) that feel bad they paid over $600 for their Galaxy Tablet 3 month's ago and we basically got the same thing for $99.
Yes, the Android market is much better than the TP market, but let's face it...what's a tablet used for 90% of the time? Email & web browsing. And when the
Touchdroid project is ready, it WILL be just about the same exact thing. That's when the grapes will get really sour :)

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Sport73 wrote:Might be willing to sell my Touchpad for $215 if anyone's interested.
Let me know if you want to sell it. I'd like to get one for my dad.
-Matt

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

JackB1 wrote:but let's face it...what's a tablet used for 90% of the time? Email & web browsing.
You are correct sir which is why I said it doesn't matter if there are no more WebOS apps ever made again. I can do pretty much the same thing on the TouchPad than I can on the Galaxy Tablet which is 90% internet and email. But the Galaxy Tab does have nicer hardware and has overall better quality, the screen is one example as it puts the TouchPads screen to shame.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
JackB1 wrote:but let's face it...what's a tablet used for 90% of the time? Email & web browsing.
You are correct sir which is why I said it doesn't matter if there are no more WebOS apps ever made again. I can do pretty much the same thing on the TouchPad than I can on the Galaxy Tablet which is 90% internet and email. But the Galaxy Tab does have nicer hardware and has overall better quality, the screen is one example as it puts the TouchPads screen to shame.
Precisely. I'd only get one for my wife...I wouldn't torture myself...regardless of cost. If you guys are happy with your purchase, awesome. Kudos...you got a smoking deal. I have no idea how you can go back and forth Rod.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:
Precisely. I'd only get one for my wife...I wouldn't torture myself...regardless of cost. If you guys are happy with your purchase, awesome. Kudos...you got a smoking deal. I have no idea how you can go back and forth Rod.
It's an easy answer db, one runs Android the other is WebOS which is why i'm leaning on getting a iOS Tablet next. But if the TouchPad were not $150 I would not have considered it. But the TouchPad does a few things better than the Galaxy Tab.

1) It streams Live TV better

2) Wallpaper is not cropped and cut like on the Galaxy Tab.

Those are two off the top of my nugget.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:It's an easy answer db, one runs Android the other is WebOS which is why i'm leaning on getting a iOS Tablet next. But if the TouchPad were not $150 I would not have considered it. But the TouchPad does a few things better than the Galaxy Tab.

1) It streams Live TV better

2) Wallpaper is not cropped and cut like on the Galaxy Tab.

Those are two off the top of my nugget.
Apparently you haven't downloaded a program called: wallpaper wizardry for your tab. #2 eliminated.

And I don't stream live TV from my tab because well...I have four 47+ inch LCDs in my house. :)

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

matthewk wrote:
Sport73 wrote:Might be willing to sell my Touchpad for $215 if anyone's interested.
Let me know if you want to sell it. I'd like to get one for my dad.
Yes, though my 9-year old would use it but she's too tied to the apps on her iPod Touch.
Paypal is coreyod@msn.com and PM me your address.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

With better app. selection, email and web browsing might not be 90% of the use.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Went ahead and overclocked the TP to 1.5ghz and wow...

Used Uberkernel and Govnah.

It really makes a ton of difference.

The OS now acts smooth, the keyboard is WAY more responsive now, browsing is a lot more faster and so is app lauching. :mrgreen:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:Went ahead and overclocked the TP to 1.5ghz and wow...

Used Uberkernel and Govnah.

It really makes a ton of difference.

The OS now acts smooth, the keyboard is WAY more responsive now, browsing is a lot more faster and so is app lauching. :mrgreen:
Same here. Problem is you get used to the extra speed in a couple of days and then it feels the same :)

Did u tweak any settings in "Govnah" or did u just pick the 1.5OnDemand setting and that's it?

The typing is more responsive, much I just hate typing on any tablet. I am much more comfortable and faster typing on my iPhone or a real keyboard/PC.

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

Android up and running on Touchpad
Though TouchDroid is currently using Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread on its demo tablet, its ultimate goal is to support the current flavor of Honeycomb or even the upcoming Ice Cream Sandwich on a TouchPad. The team seems to be making quick progress as a little more than two weeks ago, its developers were still trying to drum up a TouchPad that they could use for testing.
Good news!
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Naples39 wrote:Android up and running on Touchpad
Though TouchDroid is currently using Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread on its demo tablet, its ultimate goal is to support the current flavor of Honeycomb or even the upcoming Ice Cream Sandwich on a TouchPad. The team seems to be making quick progress as a little more than two weeks ago, its developers were still trying to drum up a TouchPad that they could use for testing.
Good news!
I just posted this! (see 2 posts back)

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

HP Touchpad KB for $35 @ Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055QYJK6

Don't think this will last long at that price.

Just ordered one.

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:HP Touchpad KB for $35 @ Amazon..

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055QYJK6

Don't think this will last long at that price.

Just ordered one.
Nice thing to have but it is missing one key feature (or I haven't found it yet) - lack of a page up/down button. And the touchstone is the perfect match for it.

BTW, got an email from hp that said my order for my extra tp's is delayed 6 to 8 weeks. Oh well. Perhaps android will be running perfectly by the time it comes.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

Guess you're getting one of the last 100-200k made.

I'm waiting to find a good deal for the Touchstone since I already got the HP folio case ($20) and now the kb I ordered.

I tried the HP keyboard last week and I must say I was surprised at the quality and feel of it, but I wasn't going to spend $50+ on it.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

Where did you get the case for $20? I'm looking for a case, but the HP ones are selling for $40 on Amazon, and the other brands are getting very mixed reviews.
-Matt

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

matthewk wrote:Where did you get the case for $20? I'm looking for a case, but the HP ones are selling for $40 on Amazon, and the other brands are getting very mixed reviews.
Office Depot had them on clearance for $19, but they were harder to find than actual Touchpads.

I have a brand new HP one (I got 2 by accident). You can have it for $20 (+ 10 shipping) if u want. Just pm me if interested.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

matthewk wrote:Where did you get the case for $20? I'm looking for a case, but the HP ones are selling for $40 on Amazon, and the other brands are getting very mixed reviews.
Office Depot after the TP firesale.

Actually thats the price they'll give you at their stores IF they have them in stock.

Plus, their price for the KB and Touchstone are $30 and $40 respectively (best prices outhere), again IF you can find them at their stores.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Jack I'm interested. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Hope you guys like WebOS for a while. Even if they get Android working, gonna be tough to get the Market to work correctly.

http://www.androidcentral.com/touchpad- ... quite-dead?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I have no interest in Android for the TP only because I own a Galaxy Tab. Hope they get it working for those that want to run it on their TP's.