OT: WebOS Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: WebOS Tablet Thread

Post by Naples39 »

I guess I wasn't clear. I was saying that, on an absolute level, the iPad2 is clearly a superior product. As far as value, the TP at $100 is a great buy.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

So you spent $170 on a Touchpad so you could feel better about having an iPad?

There was no way my inner PK was going to spend $500+ on a tablet of any kind, but for $150 I got a nice one that does all the things I initially wanted one for. The performance of the TP is not bad at all, and all I've done to it so far to improve performance is turn off some of the logging.

I'm comfortable and content with a Touchpad and and extra $450 in my bank account :)
-Matt

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

More hood news for us TP owners.

More OTA updates coming to the Touchpad.

http://m.engadget.com/default/article.d ... postPage=1

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

matthewk wrote:So you spent $170 on a Touchpad so you could feel better about having an iPad?

There was no way my inner PK was going to spend $500+ on a tablet of any kind, but for $150 I got a nice one that does all the things I initially wanted one for. The performance of the TP is not bad at all, and all I've done to it so far to improve performance is turn off some of the logging.

I'm comfortable and content with a Touchpad and and extra $450 in my bank account :)
Same here. My "inner PK" is fine with the $99 spent and my "outer PK" loves watching Rugby on surfthechannel.com while pretending to watch "The Bachelor" with the misses :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

matthewk wrote:So you spent $170 on a Touchpad so you could feel better about having an iPad?

Agreed but it comes down to what you like. If you are pro Apple or like the iPad everything else will be inferior. If you go into the purchase as Tablet neutral then the TouchPad is far and away the winner. It's how one approaches the HP TouchPad. I have a friend who like you would never spend $500 on a Tablet but for $150 would buy one in a heartbeat.

I own a Galaxy Tab and love it. I'll probably give the iPad 3 a whirl next time around but I approach Tablets as Android first everything else second.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:More hood news for us TP owners.

If they issue an update to WebOS, will we need to rerun all our tweaks with Preware?

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

JackB1 wrote:

If they issue an update to WebOS, will we need to rerun all our tweaks with Preware?
Good question.

Maybe the patches will have to be updated by the developers too.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

jLp vAkEr0 wrote:
JackB1 wrote:

Good question.

Maybe the patches will have to be updated by the developers too.
Or maybe there won't be any need for those :!:

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

interesting....

just got this email from HP

"Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in the HP TouchPad and webOS. The overwhelming demand for this product in recent days has made it difficult to fulfill your request at the present time, and we are working to make more available as soon as possible. While we do not yet have specific details, we know it will be at least a few weeks before we have a limited quantity available again. We will keep you informed as we have more specifics that we can communicate, and we encourage you to join the conversation here for the latest information. "

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Last edited by JackB1 on Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I got to that screen and my 2 choices are Skype and Connect Phone. What am I missing? :?

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:I got to that screen and my 2 choices are Skype and Connect Phone. What am I missing? :?
I think u log into Skype and then you get the dialpad.

Enter this into the dialer:
##LOGS# (##5647#)

Hit the green Dial button.
On the subsequent Collect Logs screen, select Change Logging Levels
Hit the Set Logging To Minimal and confirm

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Here is the best, most comprehensive guide to getting your new Touchpad up and running FAST:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touchpa ... guide.html

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Well this is a cut-rate price, because HP was in a hurry to get out of the business, so they're selling it for way below cost. Just the parts alone are worth more than $99 or $149.

But I can't make the time to chase one down at the BB or keep watching various sites.

It seems a lot of people got the TP who never would have considered a tablet otherwise, not even the Nook Color at $250. Lot of these people may be in the market for a new one, as the battery stops holding a charge or it gets nicked up or other tablets offer new features and services.

By then, the price of entry may have come down, but a lot of new users will have become used to using tablets, even many who considered it a "toy" -- a criticism based on tablets being better for consumption than creation. OK, it's for use on the couch and in bed, away from the desk. How many people are creating stuff at home after working all day?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

F308GTB
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by F308GTB »

Rodster wrote: Agreed but it comes down to what you like. If you are pro Apple or like the iPad everything else will be inferior. If you go into the purchase as Tablet neutral then the TouchPad is far and away the winner. It's how one approaches the HP TouchPad. I have a friend who like you would never spend $500 on a Tablet but for $150 would buy one in a heartbeat.
Yeah but an Apple fanatic would buy the next iWhatever, and even if it just slices bread, it will be the best slicer of all time, ginsu knives be damned!

For me, $150 for the 32 fit the bill. For $600 I can get a low/medium-end laptop for more serious stuff. I wouldn't pay that much for a "lie in bed and surf" device. Before I got the TP, I was even using my Zune HD for a little casual surfing. The TP is what it is - cheap access to the 'net.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

For those who have movies or tv shows on .avi format, I recommend you download KalemSoft media Player.

Here's the link for the latest demo released yesterday.

http://www.kalemsoft.com/site/downloads2.html

It plays avi, mp4, mkv files and the latest update added .rm and rmvb support.

I tried the last 2 formats and the video lags a bit, but on the other formats it works perfectly.

Highly recommend it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I set the logging to minimal and I did notice an immediate improvement. I did not install any preware, why? Because HP is releasing another OTA and I have a feeling they will remove all the logging. If not at that point i'll install preware but i'll wait for HP's next update before deciding.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Rodster wrote:I set the logging to minimal and I did notice an immediate improvement. I did not install any preware, why? Because HP is releasing another OTA and I have a feeling they will remove all the logging. If not at that point i'll install preware but i'll wait for HP's next update before deciding.
Glad you got that working. I did it too and it did make things run faster. I did install Preware and all the recommended patches too.
If the new OTA Update undo's all the Preware stuff, it's very easy to just reinstall the patches. You could just install Preware now,
and not install any patches yet. That way you have it ready to go for whenever. Plus, who knows how long it will be until the update.

The great thing about a WebOS device, is that it's nearly impossible to brick it. If you ever want to get your device back to factory default
state, just run the WebOS Doctor.......http://ws.hpwebos.com/webosdoctor/sorry.htm

I really hope someone picks up WebOS and runs with it. They must have sold over a million TP's in the past few weeks and rumours have it,
that HP will have some more in the upcoming weeks.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Article:
Touchpad better than Android

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/h ... -container

On a sidenote: Any overclock their TP yet or thinking about it? Supposidly the device has been approved to
run up to 1.5Ghz safely. You need to install Uberkernel and Govna to get it overclocked.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

If the next update is what I think it is. It will disable and muffle all the background logging. Yeah maybe Preware will be needed for other things such as removing the touch ripple (which btw I do love that feature) and overclocking but i'm hedging my bets the next update will fix the remaining performance bottlenecks such as logging.

At this point the TouchPad is fast enough and it runs on the warm side so nit sure if I want to overclock it. IIRC HP sold over 5 million TP's with their fire sale.
JackB1 wrote:Article:
Touchpad better than Android

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/h ... -container

On a sidenote: Any overclock their TP yet or thinking about it? Supposidly the device has been approved to
run up to 1.5Ghz safely. You need to install Uberkernel and Govna to get it overclocked.
I still think Android is better and has much more potential than WebOS but that's just me. Even if the CPU can be safely superclocked to 1.5Ghz i'll leave it running stock. Long term I have my questions of reliability.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

You guys are having to do quite a bit of tweaking to get this thing to run normally. Sounds awesome.

matthewk
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by matthewk »

-Matt

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:You guys are having to do quite a bit of tweaking to get this thing to run normally. Sounds awesome.
db you're just bitter. :P
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Naples39 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:You guys are having to do quite a bit of tweaking to get this thing to run normally. Sounds awesome.
db you're just bitter. :P
Why because I have a superior device? Nah.

I only want one so my wife stops taking mine...I'm cool without one for myself...believe me.