OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by Spooky »

I'm very curious about this device. I am in the market for a tablet and have been waiting for the new iPad. I am a pretty avid Apple/Mac user and finally got the funds for a tablet at the end of last year but figured I'd wait it out for the 'iPad 2'. Now I'm getting REALLY antsy and impatient (yes, i know the iPad 2 announcement is next Wednesday) but this Xoom has me very intrigued.

I have read about 15 reviews and I was very close to heading to Best Buy and picking it up (at least to try it out within the return period) until I read a couple things that concerned me. First was the fact the most reviewers seem to think that the screen/picture quality is not as great as the iPad. That is a major disappointment. I am very sensitive to screen quality especially after staring so much at my iPhone's retina display. Word is that the screen is a bit dull and colors are slight muted compared to the iPad. The other is the lack of tablet apps, mainly Netflix. I know it should be coming down the road but I was not aware that there is a lack of Android apps.

The thing that really draws me to the Xoom is the new Android interface. It looks SUPER slick and I think I may be tiring of the Apple iOS a bit. Since I have an iPhone I may want something a bit different for my tablet.

Have any of you had any hands on experience with the Xoom? Any interest in it?

DB...!?!?! Is this Android Honeycomb this shiznit or what...???
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Motorola Xoom

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It's simply as good as it gets right now as far as Android tablets go. There are still some interface tweaks that I feel need to make it more intuitive for the non-techy types, but as far as hardware goes, it simply destroys the iPad. If you want to be able to customize your device, you simply have to get out of the Apple infrastructure...that's all there is to it. The screen looks almost identical to the iPad screen and it's at a higher resolution, so I'm not sure what these "reviewers" are talking about. As far as apps go...don't worry about that...if it's missing, it'll be coming. I'm not sure how much tweaking has to be done to some of them for use on the bigger screens, so that might be the holdup at this point. Remember, the Xoom is the first Honeycomb tablet, so I definitely wouldn't worry about that.

I'm probably not a great person to talk to about tablets and their use tho...I don't have one and probably never will...but after using both the Xoom (sister got one yesterday), the Galaxy Tab (dad got one) and the iPad (my bosses)...the Xoom really is the first true Android tablet. The Galaxy Tab is just a phone without the phone as far as I'm concerned...the Android OS is exactly the same. Honeycomb really has changed the game and it's impressive for the first iteration of a tablet OS. I've got high hopes for the sustained success now...even though I probably will still never have one. These things are just too expensive for the amount I'd use them.

I saw the other day you can use a coupon code to get the device for 600 without a contract (it's 600 WITH a contract) so I don't see why anyone would do anything else. If you're interested, let me know and I'll find the blog I saw it on.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

dbdynsty25 wrote:It's simply as good as it gets right now as far as Android tablets go. There are still some interface tweaks that I feel need to make it more intuitive for the non-techy types, but as far as hardware goes, it simply destroys the iPad. If you want to be able to customize your device, you simply have to get out of the Apple infrastructure...that's all there is to it. The screen looks almost identical to the iPad screen and it's at a higher resolution, so I'm not sure what these "reviewers" are talking about. As far as apps go...don't worry about that...if it's missing, it'll be coming. I'm not sure how much tweaking has to be done to some of them for use on the bigger screens, so that might be the holdup at this point. Remember, the Xoom is the first Honeycomb tablet, so I definitely wouldn't worry about that.

I'm probably not a great person to talk to about tablets and their use tho...I don't have one and probably never will...but after using both the Xoom (sister got one yesterday), the Galaxy Tab (dad got one) and the iPad (my bosses)...the Xoom really is the first true Android tablet. The Galaxy Tab is just a phone without the phone as far as I'm concerned...the Android OS is exactly the same. Honeycomb really has changed the game and it's impressive for the first iteration of a tablet OS. I've got high hopes for the sustained success now...even though I probably will still never have one. These things are just too expensive for the amount I'd use them.

I saw the other day you can use a coupon code to get the device for 600 without a contract (it's 600 WITH a contract) so I don't see why anyone would do anything else. If you're interested, let me know and I'll find the blog I saw it on.
Thanks DB. I have to say I am very interested in that code! If you can find it please PM it to me.

I understand that the Honeycomb is the first true tablet OS for Android so I am not worried about being an early adopter. That said though, I have read about a lot of things that need pretty immediate attention such as lots of app crashing adn stuff. How is Android about updates? I've read mixed things.

Also, since I am a big Mac user, will I have a tough time loading and playing content on this device? I have all my music in iTunes and a ton of movies there as well. Plus all my photo's are in iPhoto.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Truthfully, if you're a big mac user and everything is in iTunes...your life will be easier with an iPad. There are ways to circumvent iTunes, but for me, everything I have is just on a hard drive and I access it through various methods (I prefer the Zune interface over iTunes every day of the week)...so I don't really have an issue at all getting stuff on the Android based hardware. Also, keep in mind, the Xoom has an MicroSD slot (that should be usable in the near future) so you literally can expand the hell out of your storage...you're not limited like you are on the iPad. But again, it's all about how much pain you want to go through to get information on the device.

Now...if iTunes is just the way you organize your music (meaning everything is in folders on your hard drive), then you'll be okay. The problem will pop up when you try to use stuff you PURCHASED in iTunes (music/movies/etc)...that stuff is really a pain in the ass because you have to de-DRM it (basically get rid of the copy protection that ties it to iTunes).

Android as an OS is updated constantly, but the problem lies in how quickly the manufacturer (ie. Samsung, Motorola, etc.) gets the update out to the end user with their tweaks. The real issue with apps crashing is all on the application developer's shoulders. Apps are CONSTANTLY updated and they get better and better with more features as we go along. it really is crazy how fast these guys update their stuff, so again, I wouldn't make that a determining factor.

Oh, and unfortunately the code no longer works. Motorola figured it out. LOL...it will now just give you 25% off accessories from their online store. Which still is nice.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/02/24/ti ... -contract/

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Thanks again DB!

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Only posting this because I saw this thread and noticed this story on my Google home page. Thought you should at least be aware of it, Spooky. Don't know if this is what you're looking at as I know nothing of the Xoom and if there are any different versions.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/mot ... -20110225/
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

ScoopBrady wrote:Only posting this because I saw this thread and noticed this story on my Google home page. Thought you should at least be aware of it, Spooky. Don't know if this is what you're looking at as I know nothing of the Xoom and if there are any different versions.

http://www.geek.com/articles/mobile/mot ... -20110225/
It's the same thing. And yes, 4G LTE is legit and it'll take about 6 days to get it upgraded for free by Motorola...assuming you want to access the web over cellular networks and not just over wifi.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

This is crazy...I literally just got a call in my office from one of the hospital administrators asking about the Xoom and iPads. I just read my posts to her. :)

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

Also hearing that the iPad 2 will only be a slight upgrade with a slightly faster processor and the cameras for FaceTime. Of course Apple could shock on Wednesday but I'm thinking they'll make the big leap on iPad 3.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I saw a commercial on this thing last night and I was like OMG. 8O

What's the price for this thing?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

800 off contract, 600 on contract w/ Verizon. It's about $200 too much in my eyes, but hardware wise, it's probably worth it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:800 off contract, 600 on contract w/ Verizon. It's about $200 too much in my eyes, but hardware wise, it's probably worth it.
Oh well they had me right up to the part about a Verizon contract. I sent Verizon Wireless a FU letter over a year ago. :twisted:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:800 off contract, 600 on contract w/ Verizon. It's about $200 too much in my eyes, but hardware wise, it's probably worth it.
Oh well they had me right up to the part about a Verizon contract. I sent Verizon Wireless a FU letter over a year ago. :twisted:
There's a wifi only version coming eventually...probably will be around 600-700 off contract if I had to guess. You don't HAVE to have a Verizon contract with the Xoom anyway...if you go wifi only, you're golden. Plus, as scoop linked to earlier, it's going to be upgraded to Verizon's 4G LTE network for free in a few months. Gonna be absolutely sick. If I do come around to getting one, it'll be after that comes stock in the device. I won't be able to send it away for a week!

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:There's a wifi only version coming eventually...probably will be around 600-700 off contract if I had to guess. You don't HAVE to have a Verizon contract with the Xoom anyway...if you go wifi only, you're golden. Plus, as scoop linked to earlier, it's going to be upgraded to Verizon's 4G LTE network for free in a few months. Gonna be absolutely sick. If I do come around to getting one, it'll be after that comes stock in the device. I won't be able to send it away for a week!
Whoa explain that part? So where or why does Verizon come into the picture? And I guess 4G is data access to their network? I really only need WiFi as I can take that mother with me to Mickey D's or any other WiFi hotspot. :)

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:There's a wifi only version coming eventually...probably will be around 600-700 off contract if I had to guess. You don't HAVE to have a Verizon contract with the Xoom anyway...if you go wifi only, you're golden. Plus, as scoop linked to earlier, it's going to be upgraded to Verizon's 4G LTE network for free in a few months. Gonna be absolutely sick. If I do come around to getting one, it'll be after that comes stock in the device. I won't be able to send it away for a week!
Whoa explain that part? So where or why does Verizon come into the picture? And I guess 4G is data access to their network? I really only need WiFi as I can take that mother with me to Mickey D's or any other WiFi hotspot. :)
There is only one model available at the moment. A Verizon version that has both Wifi and 3G EVDO data built in. You can buy the device without a contract for 800 dollars and you don't have to even speak with Verizon again, however you will be limited to accessing the internet from Wifi hotspots or for those of us with phones that support the wifi hotspot feature (hello Android, lol).

You can also purchase one for 600 WITH a contract through Verizon that will allow you to purchase packages of data (1GB for 20 bucks a month, 3GB for 30 and so on). In this case you can use the device anywhere with Verizon coverage, which is damn near everywhere. With this data package, when the 4G LTE modification is available (supposedly in a few months) you'll be able to send your device in to Motorola and they will upgrade the chipset inside the device for free and the cost will still be the same on a month to month basis. You will now have access to the brand new and shiny 4G Verizon network.

In the coming months, there will be a wifi only version that will be without Verizon branding and it should be a bit cheaper but there will be no cellular network option at all...strictly wifi.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Motorola is distributing this only through carriers. So you have a high unsubsidized price or a lower price with a contract that brings your minimal outlay to over $1000.

Tegra2 has been in development for awhile and is now coming to market. But Tegra3 is already on the horizon, maybe as early as later this year. Despite all this bake time, there are reports of stuttering, not being as smooth and snappy as the iPad, which only has a single-core A8 Cortex compared to the dual-core A9 integrated into the Tegra2.

Battery life is good but only about 2/3 that of the iPad, according to Mossberg's review.

It's good that someone came out with a 10-inch tablet but it's less likely people are going to want to carry this around as much, so 3G or 4G may not be a big selling point. Average selling price of iPad is around $600, suggesting people are mostly buying Wifi-only SKUs. But since Motorola is used to selling through carriers, rather than directly to the end-customer, they have to put a mobile connection on it when the market, especialy for larger tablets, may be more interested in using around the home.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:Motorola is distributing this only through carriers.
Wrong. Head into Best Buy and buy one unsubsidized from a carrier and pay 800 bucks.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It's available at Best Buy like other products tied to the mobile networks.

And for that $800 SKU, you have to subscribe to one month of service to activate the Wifi.

For all the hype going into CES, it doesn't sound like Motorola is expecting iPad-level sales on this, not starting at $600 with contract.

The BlackBerry Playbook is suppose to start at $500 and there is supposedly a 10-inch Asus tablet with Tegra2 which is suppose to be at $400. Playbook requires a Blackberry phone to get email though.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

wco81 wrote:And for that $800 SKU, you have to subscribe to one month of service to activate the Wifi.
No you do not. Check your facts. They scrapped that...nor do you need to do anything with Verizon at all to get one. 800 bucks, leave. Connect to Wifi.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

If they changed the policy, they didn't change the advertising. It was in this past week's Sunday ad.

And it's still online.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Computers-P ... 3400050016

See the asterisk next to "Compatible with Wifi Networks"

One month of service could be as little as $10. But it's the hassle of canceling the service.

Also, beware that BestBuy may impose a restocking fee for any returns.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

It has been modified...the ad is old and hasn't been changed. There is no activation required for purchasing a Xoom. Google more or call them if you don't believe me.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Doesn't matter, it's still an uncompetitive price.

Between Motorola and Samsung on the high end of the price range and those no-name $99 tablets, eventually someone will produce one at an attractive price and in sufficient volume to offer an alternative.

Or this may be discounted soon enough.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Silly question.. aka real life user NON fanboy bullshit question 8)

Is this thing anything like a real computer?

Is this thing going to give me a real computing experience or is it just another shitty iphone without the phone?

EDIT: I am trying real hard not to offend the fanboys. I just want to know if this thing gives me a real true 100% laptop experience the apple thingy didnt.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

XXXIV wrote:Silly question.. aka real life user NON fanboy bullshit question 8)

Is this thing anything like a real computer?

Is this thing going to give me a real computing experience or is it just another shitty iphone without the phone?
Why do you think I don't own any tablets? It's not...and I really don't see the need for one. I'll use em when I'm around em, but I can't justify the price at all.

And Wco...how is it overpriced? How much do you think an iPad 32gb (which isn't expandable of course) costs with At&t? I think they are ALL overpriced, but not when all of them are compared to each other.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

I was asking a serious question cause I dont have a clue !!!!!!!!!!!!

That does answer my question though 8)