OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

DB whats the scoop on the N9?

Reviews have been lukewarm.

Seems like the build quality isn't on par for the price, specially compared to iPads and Galaxy Tabs.

Kinda weird considering that it's a HTC product. I think everyone was expecting something powerful, premium fill AND beautiful like the M7/M8.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I REALLY like it. Build quality of mine is perfect...no imperfections with the body or the screen.

As I said in my first impressions it's definitely easier to hold than the iPad Air 2...due to the curved soft touch back and the slightly angled sides. It's just easier...and they are essentially the same weight. The screen is quality...not nearly Galaxy Tab S quality, but still damn fine. One area the tablet lacks is fluidity. This will improve when the K1 processor is optimized further...no doubt about it. But the difference between 5.0 on the N9 and the preview build I'm running on my Moto X Pure Edition is night and day. The X bests it in nearly every way when it comes to speed. Hopefully they get that squared away on the N9.

All that said, my N9 is probably going to go back. Going back and forth between my Moto X and it is just annoying when you have to wait to do things you didn't have to on the X. I imagine that gap will increase even more when I get my Nexus 6 next week. So right now, the Air 2 is the full sized tablet I'm going to keep, even though it's regrettable. The size and feel of the N9 is more in my wheelhouse.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Galaxy Tab S 2 tablet specs look intriguing. Apparently they are switching to a 4:3 ratio and it'll be a 7.9" and 9.7" metal frame tablets.

http://www.gsmarena.com/97inch_samsung_ ... -11310.php

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Didn't want to start a thread on a device few are interested in but the Microsoft Surface 3 sounds pretty badass for it's price points of $499/599 with a free year of Office 365 and upgradeable to Windows 10. It has a MicroSD slot as well as USB ports for USB thumb drives. Supposedly MS is introducing a real f**ing keyboard for the Surface 3 that's backlit and you can hookup a mouse.

MS is trying to make this a true laptop replacement. I'm definitely interested in the Surface 3.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I found a damn good music streaming app that was just released, "MixRadio" from the UK. It has a real good bit rate. It's up there with iTunes Radio. They're pretty lenient on skips and you can create your own mix if you want.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/05/20/m ... d-android/

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Just wanted to pass along a game that recently came out called "Traffic Rider". It's from the same developer who did surprise, surprise "Traffic Racer". They are both quality endless runner games that nudge you for IAP's but it's not needed.

What separates Traffic Rider is that the graphics are top notch, silky smooth framerates on shitty hardware and the controls are spot on and it's first person view from the handle bars.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Anyone have a scoop on when Nvidia might release their Shield X1 tablet? I was about to buy the K1 on Amazon but someone left a comment that the X1 release is right around the corner but nothing shows up regarding their new gamers tablet.

The only thing I could dig up was something that TechCrunch wrote regarding the X1 mobile chip: "Nvidia’s own tests with the X1 show it performing at just about twice the rate of the Tegra K1 when it comes to 1080p offscreen performance, about 1.5x in 3Dmark 1.3 Icestorm Unlimited and almost twice the iPad Air 2 in the same metric, and about 1.5x in the BasemarkX 1.1 vs. both iPad and K1. But perhaps its most impressive performance improvements over comparable chipsets revolve around energy efficiency: The X1 offers about twice the performance as you increase power draw vs. the K1 architecture, and about 1.7x the performance of the A8X on average for the same power consumption."

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Any of you guys that are using Project Fi still digging it? I'm now considering it after reading the basic plan is only $20 per month and $10 for 10GB of data that's rolled over if you don't use it.

Questions:

1) How's the reception? Any call drops?

2) Do you need to buy a SIM card from Google?

3) Do you need to buy $10 of 10GB of data?

4) Any additional fees?

5) Do they port over your number?

6) Do they have auto-Bill?

I've been with Straight Talk for the last 4 years and for $43 it's pretty solid since its on AT&T.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

gentlemen:

recently purchased I-phone 6 plus. However, i don't know a damm thing about smart phones (or apple products). Am trying to transfer mp4 videos from my laptop pc to the I-phone. It won't transfer. After checking google search at length, am pretty confused. Is this possible to transfer?

thanks for any help.

pk500
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pk500 »

Vinny:

There are third-party apps that handle this, but the most common method is to use iTunes through your PC. Note I didn't say easiest, as iTunes remains a bloated piece of sh*tware, IMO, even though I have become the world's biggest Apple devotee over the last 2 1/2 years.

Apple makes fantastic hardware. Its software ranges from mediocre to excellent, with iTunes on the bottom end of that scale. It's a mess.
"You know why I love boxers? I love them because they face fear. And they face it alone." - Nick Charles

"First on the throttle, last on the brakes." - @MotoGP Twitter signature

XBL Gamertag: pk4425

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

You can try the VLC app, which will play many different types of media.

VLC and other video players will let you transfer via http. So it will let you enter the IP address of the iPhone on the local network on the browser of your PC and you should be able to drag and drop files there.

Other players like Infuse don't support videos with AC-3 or DTS soundtracks unless you pay for the pro version because they license the codecs. But VLC plays them.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

PK and wco:

thanks for the tips!