OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by sportdan30 »

Rodster wrote:Google tablets and phones have a solid future with good support. The only problem going forward is that the N7 has been out for awhile now and the next version might be announced in the next 1-2 months.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/29/nexus-7-2-rel ... or-310636/
Damn you.....but thank you! I'll still go ahead and check it out tomorrow (very curious now), and if I like what I see I'll pick up the next update.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

sportdan30 wrote:
Rodster wrote:Google tablets and phones have a solid future with good support. The only problem going forward is that the N7 has been out for awhile now and the next version might be announced in the next 1-2 months.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/29/nexus-7-2-rel ... or-310636/
Damn you.....but thank you! I'll still go ahead and check it out tomorrow (very curious now), and if I like what I see I'll pick up the next update.
The thing about the nexus devices is that it likely will still be up to date even when and if a new one comes out. Always has the latest android software. So if your goal is mostly reading...the update...if there is one...won't matter much. Nexus hardware lasts much longer than other android hardware and at a fraction of the cost. Just pull the trigger. What's 200 bucks? Lol.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

You're right db and I wasn't trying to imply the opposite. It's just that IT IS new hardware if that means anything to someone who's looking to buy a Google tablet. The only thing I don't like about the rumored Nexus tablet is that it looks to be a 1080P tablet and keep it's current size. I'm not a big fan of the 16:9 format.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

Well, I finally settled on the Kindle Paperwhite and I absolutely love it so far. Had $100 plus in gift cards to Best Buy, so it really didn't cost me anything. Ok, it's only been one night, but this little thing is really impressive. Love reading with the lights off and of course direct light isn't an issue either. The size is just perfect and fits easily in my pants pocket. Now, I've read many people's complaints about uneven lighting (some having to return and rebuy up to three times). Thus far, I can't see or haven't noticed any issues. Thankfully, I have 60 days to return it back to Best Buy if there is an issue.

I went back and forth between the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, and the Kindle Paperwhite. I solely wanted a device for e-reading. I can be easily distracted, and I know that a tablet such as the iPad, Nexus 7, or Kindle HD would be too distracting. This device really suits me quite well and is a nice compliment to my iPad 3. Also, my 11 year old son has asked to take it to school. Apparently, a good number of kids have Kindles and they read from them during "reading time".

When the iPad Mini finally releases with a retina display, I'll upgrade from my iPad 3. I really am impressed with the Kindle size and an iPad in a similar size form factor will be just about perfect.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

So many awesome free e-books on Kindle as well. For a fantasy junkie it is a dream.

sportdan30 wrote:Well, I finally settled on the Kindle Paperwhite and I absolutely love it so far. Had $100 plus in gift cards to Best Buy, so it really didn't cost me anything. Ok, it's only been one night, but this little thing is really impressive. Love reading with the lights off and of course direct light isn't an issue either. The size is just perfect and fits easily in my pants pocket. Now, I've read many people's complaints about uneven lighting (some having to return and rebuy up to three times). Thus far, I can't see or haven't noticed any issues. Thankfully, I have 60 days to return it back to Best Buy if there is an issue.

I went back and forth between the Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD, and the Kindle Paperwhite. I solely wanted a device for e-reading. I can be easily distracted, and I know that a tablet such as the iPad, Nexus 7, or Kindle HD would be too distracting. This device really suits me quite well and is a nice compliment to my iPad 3. Also, my 11 year old son has asked to take it to school. Apparently, a good number of kids have Kindles and they read from them during "reading time".

When the iPad Mini finally releases with a retina display, I'll upgrade from my iPad 3. I really am impressed with the Kindle size and an iPad in a similar size form factor will be just about perfect.

JackB1
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by JackB1 »

Newegg has the Nexus 7 for $150. It's refurb, but still a great deal on this fantastic tablet.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

New Nexus 7 tablets announced this morning.

Prices are a little higher than the ones from last year but you get a lot more.

In particular, the 4G version has 32 GB of storage and LTE compatibility with AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile -- not sure if this is a first for a device to work on LTE for both AT&T and Verizon.

The LTE version of the iPad Mini with 32 GB is $559 or over $200 more.

The new Mini due this fall is not expected to have a Retina display, because it would hit battery life too much. New Nexus 7 has 1080p display so it will have the highest DPI among all the tablets. Will be interesting what kind of battery life it gets.

I like having tablet-specific apps., good build quality and good screen quality (not just resolution but color, viewing angles, etc).

However, that $200 difference is hard to overlook. iPads are selling well but they're going to lose share when Google and Amazon are willing to underprice by so much.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

wco81 wrote:
I like having tablet-specific apps., good build quality and good screen quality (not just resolution but color, viewing angles, etc).

However, that $200 difference is hard to overlook. iPads are selling well but they're going to lose share when Google and Amazon are willing to underprice by so much.
I'm still an apple fan, but after picking up a new nexus 7 yesterday I would say it beats the iPad mini. The screen is gorgeous, and the build quality and general feel is excellent. Most of the apps you need on a 7-inch device are on board and work well... And at the price point you just can't do better.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

wco81 wrote:However, that $200 difference is hard to overlook. iPads are selling well but they're going to lose share when Google and Amazon are willing to underprice by so much.
Not possible that apple stuff may be over priced? :D

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

XXXIV wrote:
wco81 wrote:However, that $200 difference is hard to overlook. iPads are selling well but they're going to lose share when Google and Amazon are willing to underprice by so much.
Not possible that apple stuff may be over priced? :D
Especially the mini which used two year old components anyway. Way overpriced. That said...I love mine. I'll still get a Nexus 7 once they release the LTE version.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Sport73 wrote:
wco81 wrote:

I'm still an apple fan, but after picking up a new nexus 7 yesterday I would say it beats the iPad mini. The screen is gorgeous, and the build quality and general feel is excellent. Most of the apps you need on a 7-inch device are on board and work well... And at the price point you just can't do better.
I don't think you can beat that price. I was new to Android this year with my HTC One and I must say I have been quite content with what Google has been doing. I was going to wait for the next iPad mini which apparently won't be retina ready and even if it was, Apple can't beat this price. I might take the bite this week, just wished it came in white color too.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Well, I finally took the plunge today. The store had a free shipping deal so ordered the 32GB version. Look forward to it when I receive it in a couple of days.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

fellas:
anyone have an opinion on the Hisense Sero 7 Pro? The reviews are high. And price is low at, $129

noticed, unlike the Nexus 7, it will take a micro SD card (32 gig)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hisense-Sero- ... A/25427874

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Please do not buy a budget Android tablet that isn't a Nexus 7. Seriously. Garbage...all of them. Skimp to cut costs. Google loses money on their Nexus 7's just to get them in the wild to make money offering their services. Other companies do not do that (there's no money in that)...so you know the components are sh*t inside them.

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

ok. Thanks for the word, DB

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

vinny-b wrote:ok. Thanks for the word, DB
To be fair, that one you linked is better than most, but still, the screen quality is horrible and you'll likely never get software updates. Just the downside to saving some money. If you can live with those items, then by all means, but I'd never buy one. :)

vinny-b
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by vinny-b »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
vinny-b wrote:ok. Thanks for the word, DB
To be fair, that one you linked is better than most, but still, the screen quality is horrible and you'll likely never get software updates. Just the downside to saving some money. If you can live with those items, then by all means, but I'd never buy one.
kewl. Being new to tablets (don't own one and haven't yet researched) i prefer the honest feedback. Thanks, brother

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

vinny-b wrote:
kewl. Being new to tablets (don't own one and haven't yet researched) i prefer the honest feedback. Thanks, brother
Yep. Same here. Thanks. I am thinking of diving in at Xmas time.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

The new Nexus 7 is a beauty to hold. My first Android tablet, a thin 7' 1920x1200 lcd display holding 32 GB of internal memory in my case. Reading is sharp and clear and overall very light to hold. Playing games may not be as vibrant color wise as the ipad while the rear speakers are decent. The back rubberized cover doesn't keep smudges of your finger prints and the camera takes fine pics overall. I still prefer my HTC for taking pics or simply just playing with the editing options but overall this is a fine little tablet that can fit your budget without breaking the bank.

The battery could be better I guess compared to my ipad but overall after playing with it for a few days this is a keeper and one that I will take on my travels as well.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

Those of you with the Nexus 7, kitkat 4.4 is available now.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I want a new Android 10 inch tablet to replace our ancient Galaxy Tab (the first one!). I keep waiting to see when/if the new Nexus 10 will be coming out before jumping the gun...... last rumour was it was coming out for Cyber Monday.

If not, I might just get impatient enough to get something else......
gamertag: Ace EZ

Once a Dragon, a Dragon for life!

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

Does anyone have a Sony Xperia Z tablet? BB has them on sale up here for $399 for the 16 gig. If a new N10 isn't announced on Monday as is rumoured, I might eye the Sony, though i've read mixed reviews on app loading time and battery life......

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Right now there are two android tablets worth a damn...Nexus 7 and the LG GPad 8.3. Other than that...way too overpriced and most have huge flaws. If the GPad 8.3 had an LTE option it would be #1 on my list.

Gangrel
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gangrel »

I kinda was holding out for a 10 inch tablet since we don't really travel with it or anything, but in the back of my mind the Nexus 7 is kicking around too if i am willing to give up the screen real estate.

I see Asus has the new TF701t out now too......

But ya, the new Note 10 2014 edition sells for $599!!! up here for the 32 gig version. Crazy.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

WTH is Google waiting for to release a new Nexus 10?