OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Finally got my shipping notice and it includes the oem flip cover case from asus. So guess your apple loving friend was wrong. Lol.

jLp vAkEr0
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by jLp vAkEr0 »

7" is the perfect tablet size for my taste.

I haven't ordered a N7 yet 'cause im waiting for Apple's move.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Smaller size would be easier to use in bed, carry around (probably fit some coat pockets).

But since you could carry it around more easily, it would be nice to have a SKU with mobile radio.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Finally got my shipping notice and it includes the oem flip cover case from asus. So guess your apple loving friend was wrong. Lol.
I'm curious how you were able to order the case? The day the Nexus 7 went up for pre-sale all i've seen is "Coming Soon" and Notify Me via email. :?

https://play.google.com/store/devices/d ... ccessories

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I'll sell you mine if you want it. Device fits in my old Samsung slip case that I like so much.

This screen ain't all that impressive. Too yellow for my tastes compared to the iPad 3 and my other devices like the GS3 and the Galaxy Nexus. Maybe I'll get used to it.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Seriously how the hell did you get a Google case? I like the screen, I have no issues with it.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Seriously how the hell did you get a Google case? I like the screen, I have no issues with it.
No idea bro...just bought it and the 16gb the day of the announcement and voila...it arrived on my doorstep today. But seriously, if you want mine, I'll sell it to ya.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Damn I guess you got lucky. On Monday my Apple hating friend was told by a Google rep that was checking on his order that Office Depot and the other retailers were not supposed to sell the Nexus 7 last Saturday so maybe I got lucky too.

Does that Nexus 7 cover put the device to sleep like on the iPad? I found a Nexus 7 cover on Amazon I like but I don't think it uses sleep/wake up mode.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:Damn I guess you got lucky. On Monday my Apple hating friend was told by a Google rep that was checking on his order that Office Depot and the other retailers were not supposed to sell the Nexus 7 last Saturday so maybe I got lucky too.

Does that Nexus 7 cover put the device to sleep like on the iPad? I found a Nexus 7 cover on Amazon I like but I don't think it uses sleep/wake up mode.
Nope. Far as I know none of them do support that yet.

I'm definitely not enamored with this thing. Its great for the price and beats the hell out of anything else in the price range but I expected something better I guess. The hype was too much for me I guess.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Do you think it possibly could be an issue with the screen itself? The one I have doesn't appear yellow at all..

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:I'm definitely not enamored with this thing. Its great for the price and beats the hell out of anything else in the price range but I expected something better I guess. The hype was too much for me I guess.
There are some cases for sale on Amazon that have that feature. So is it just the screen you don't like? Where are you seeing this yellow tint? I don't notice it on my unit.

DB the Transformer Infinity TF700 are out. (10.1" ICS Tegra 3 Tablet) 1920x1200 resolution. I was at BB this Monday and was told ASUS will update it with JB.

I haven't decided on buying your case because I found one on Amazon that I like. It doesn't have the magnet feature either but I can covert it into a stand. I don't want to hold you up in case you had plans to put it on Ebay.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

Someone posted in another forum the idea of buying a holder for commemorative plates to use as a tablet holder. They're under $5 from Amazon. Doesn't cover up the tablet but it holds the tablet upright.

I picked up a Rocketfish stand from Best Buy a couple of months ago when it was on sale for $10 (instead of $30 regular price).

I keep a folio type of cover on the iPad while using the stand. The cover folds to a stand too but the separate stand is much better.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:Do you think it possibly could be an issue with the screen itself? The one I have doesn't appear yellow at all..
Its just the screen tech. Screens have different hues. My Nexus is blueish and my gs3 seems to be a bit oversaturated and greyish and the Nexus 7 is just yellow. My indifference is just because of the hype from the reviewers. Greatest android tablet ever and all that. It is but I still just think its decent. It is definitely worth the price and especially anyone who wants the 7 inch form factor. I will definitely keep It because its good to have a seven incher (wife wishes she got 7 as well lol) around for reading and movies.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Yah, I know about the hues and whatnot, I was just wondering if there might have been a batch of bad screens.

Sport73
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Sport73 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Its just the screen tech. Screens have different hues. My Nexus is blueish and my gs3 seems to be a bit oversaturated and greyish and the Nexus 7 is just yellow. My indifference is just because of the hype from the reviewers. Greatest android tablet ever and all that. It is but I still just think its decent. It is definitely worth the price and especially anyone who wants the 7 inch form factor. I will definitely keep It because its good to have a seven incher (wife wishes she got 7 as well lol) around for reading and movies.
I'm indifferent as well. Having had a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for a few months, I see the Nexus 7 as a nice upgrade in hardware design, speed, and consistency (thanks to stock Android). It does not, however, transform the utility of the tablet or overcome some of the weaknesses inherent in the platform at this time. The simple fact is that there is a severe lack of quality, well-designed, and tablet-ready applications for Android. Maybe the Nexus 7 will encourage development of apps that better use the screen real-estate, and maybe the visual style will inspire developers to put some time and attention into updating the so-often UGLY UI of their Android applications.

Even widgets (the key advantage of Android over iOS) are weak on the Nexus 7, with too few designed to fit elegantly on the 7" screen. You end up with some that are large and really made for 10" screens, and most too small made for 4" screens. Only the Nexus-specific Google Play widgets are designed to be attractive on this form factor.

The 7" form-factor is great for reading, bed-time, carrying around casually etc., so this device/size has a future, but the work doesn't end with the release of a good device - they need the software.
Sport73

"Can't we all just get along? I'll turn this car around RIGHT now!"

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The lack of tablet specific apps means virtually nothing on a 7 inch tablet in my opinion. There just isn't enough screen real estate to worry about specific apps not fully utilizing the screen. My issue is that the thing is just bland for the most part. I've got the left side screen raising issue that I will need to be replaced so that is bothersome. That seems to be fairly widespread. Unless you're ultra anal like I am about my devices I suggest you not Google it. Haha.

One thing that worries me is that Google is pushing the Nexus name on the everyday consumer instead of the developer and hacker community like it was intended originally. By doing this they are mainstreaming the device and potentially watering down the device community. Sure they will sell a bunch of devices so I suppose its a good move but we will see what it does to the nexus name. Hopefully they don't really come out with four different Nexus phone devices this fall. That will really destroy the brand. Time will tell.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

The great thing about ICS and JB is that they finally created a browsing experience that is equal to the iPad. The chrome browser has finally caught up to mobile safari so that is a huge plus w the new OS. The Android browser was such garbage in Gingerbread and Honeycomb its great that they started developing Chrome at the same time and actually got it right.

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Chrome for Android phones is freakin' great!
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:The lack of tablet specific apps means virtually nothing on a 7 inch tablet in my opinion. There just isn't enough screen real estate to worry about specific apps not fully utilizing the screen. My issue is that the thing is just bland for the most part. I've got the left side screen raising issue that I will need to be replaced so that is bothersome.
If you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have known it was there lol. If I run my finger along the left side and hold the device flat and hold it at eye level is when I can barely see it. It's not going back for that lol unless the screen comes unglued. The Folio case I ordered will make me forget it was ever mentioned.

But this is not unusual. My Galaxy Tab 10.1 suffers from Newton rings. Many of the new iPad's are being exchanged for yellow/blue/pink tint as well as dust trapped underneath the screen and dead pixels. I don't think screen issues belong just to ASUS.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Who said it was only an Asus issue? I had to exchange my iPad 3 because of a screen issue so I am aware that no device is immune to defects. Just expect my devices that I spend good money on to be perfect. That's not too much to ask. I don't use cases so I feel the little ridge and the creaking every time I pick the thing up. Not acceptable to me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Who said it was only an Asus issue? I had to exchange my iPad 3 because of a screen issue so I am aware that no device is immune to defects. Just expect my devices that I spend good money on to be perfect. That's not too much to ask. I don't use cases so I feel the little ridge and the creaking every time I pick the thing up. Not acceptable to me.
Totally disagree with the exception of it not being acceptable to you. Mass production devices are always hit and miss. Fortunately my iPad screen has no issues at least I have not seen any. My Sammy has Newton Rings screen issues and now my Nexus 7 has an ever so slight lift on the left side.

None of that bothers me and it's not worth my time trying to find the perfect one in the batch. Unless Ferrari is hand building each device and they are inspected and rejected for not meeting their perfection standards then no mass produced electronics will guarantee perfection and are always a crap shoot. And the lift on the left side of the Nexus 7 screen is miniscule to me.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yeah doing a search this is a common ASUS problem, their Transformer Primes have similar issues. It's the glue on the left side that has not totally adhered. I pressed down on the left side of the screen and it's now flush.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I must be one of the lucky ones then who hasn't had an issue yet

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DB give this a try. I took mine apart and tightened the back screws and it's flush again. I'll keep an eye out to see if it lifts again. :)

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7 ... ed-101898/

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:DB give this a try. I took mine apart and tightened the back screws and it's flush again. I'll keep an eye out to see if it lifts again. :)

http://www.androidauthority.com/nexus-7 ... ed-101898/
You don't think I've already done that? Come on man...it comes back.

And I do expect a piece of electronic equipment I buy to be perfect. Maybe I'm in the minority. But it is what it is and I'll keep returning sh*t until I get one that is perfect. No company builds a device knowing there could be issues (well except apple and antenna gate, lol) and starts sending them out. Costs them millions of dollars (ie Microsoft and their lovely 360). So, I could care less if it's an Asus thing, a google thing or whatever, if you don't use glue or adhesive that can hold down the screen then you're using the wrong manufacturer. It's negligent. Cuz what happens is that now you have an opening into the internals where dust and other particles can get in. Not acceptable to me and it damn well shouldn't be to anyone else. The only way they fix it is if we complain and by the looks of it, I'm not alone.