OT: Android Tablet Thread

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Android Tablet Thread

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I am all over that Nexus 7 tablet...impressive features for the price for sure. What Kindle Fire? It'll be the perfect small tablet companion for reading and development work. The iPad is just too big and heavy to read on comfortably. But it's way better at browsing than all of the other Android offerings. Hopefully Chrome on the tablet is as good as it is on my Galaxy Nexus phone.

If you wanna check it out: http://www.theverge.com/2012/6/27/31209 ... t-hands-on

$199 for 8gb
$249 for 16gb

Available directly through the Google Play store. Ships in 2-3 weeks, with 4.1 Jelly Bean included. Love it.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

May be interested in this as a replacement for a Garmin. But there are reports that the ability to download maps for offline turn-by-turn use is limited to a small area, not a couple of hundred miles that one might need to travel in a day.

Price is great and you know it'll push Amazon to put out a more competitive Fire 2. And maybe get Apple to push out a smaller iPad as well.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

I got one of the tablets coming too DB

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:I got one of the tablets coming too DB
Jelly Bean is brilliant BTW...I installed the developer version that they gave out at Google i/o and it is SOOO damn good. Much smoother overall and they clearly optimized for the Nexus 7 and the Galaxy Nexus. It's an outstanding update to the Android OS...one of the biggest and most important yet.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Have they ported it yet to the S3 or no?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

They have but virtually all of the radios and features are not working. So its gonna be a while.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

Oh joy lol

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

DB..got my Nexus 7 today from Gamestop..love it so far.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:DB..got my Nexus 7 today from Gamestop..love it so far.
Sweet, glad to hear it...mine still hasn't even shipped from my Google Play store, first hour after release announcement pre-order. Not exactly happy about that, but I presume it's because I bought the stock cover/case for it too which I'm sure they are waiting for both to ship. My bad.

I have family in town for the next two weeks so it's not like I have a ton of time to play anyway. I'm good right now installing custom roms on my Nexus (JB 4.1.1) and GSIII. LOL...plenty of hacking going on already.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I was going to get a Nexus 7 today @ Office Depot, then come to find out that Asus released the Transformer Infinity 10.1 with a ridiculous 1920x1200 resolution. Now I want to see both in action at Best Buy.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Just bought a Nexus 7 from Office Depot and I haven't opened it yet. Does anyone know if the $25 coupon comes with every Nexus 7 or do you have to buy it from Google?

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I was going to get a Nexus 7 today @ Office Depot, then come to find out that Asus released the Transformer Infinity 10.1 with a ridiculous 1920x1200 resolution. Now I want to see both in action at Best Buy.
The DPI is almost identical from a 10" to a 7" in terms of the resolution so you won't be able to tell the difference.

And the 25 was direct from Google for Pre-orders.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

DB I just read on another site that once you link the device to your Gmail account you get the $25 credit. :)

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Yup just setup my Nexus 7, used my Gmail account and it gave my $25 credit. :)

It's doing a system update v4.1.1 which I read was already available. This is a sweet tablet. The screen is just plain gorgeous and Jelly Bean is liquid smooth just like iOS. So far very impressed. 8)

Wow one very cool feature is the zoom in effect. When you first zoom (2 taps) in it makes that area a bit larger. If you zoom in on DSP front page for forums again it zooms it in by about 100x so you see the text super larger. So essentially pinch to zoom doesn't look like it's require on the Nexus 7.

FifaInspected
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by FifaInspected »

Gosh... I had no idea this was coming. Is the verdict here so far that this thing is a sweet little package that out performs the Kindle Fire?

Can anyone share with me how it handles pictures? Being a photographer i'd love to use this to display my portfolio.

Unless someone gives me a reason not to buy it.. i'm sold.
PSN - Fifa-Inspected
XBOX - Fifa Inspected

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

FifaInspected wrote:Gosh... I had no idea this was coming. Is the verdict here so far that this thing is a sweet little package that out performs the Kindle Fire?

Can anyone share with me how it handles pictures? Being a photographer i'd love to use this to display my portfolio.

Unless someone gives me a reason not to buy it.. i'm sold.
It's the best android tablet on the market. If you use picasa to handle photos then it's fantastic for that use case. And unless you are married to the amazon infrastructure it absolutely obliterates it. Just read the reviews on the net. It's really the first android tablet that has been universally praised. The cost and performance ratio is fantastic. The only downside is the same downside with all android tablets. The lack of tablet specific apps. It's not as big of a deal on a 7" tablet compared to the 10" versions so that's one of the reasons it's gotten a bigger pass compared to the larger counterparts.

The again this all could change if apple does release their 7-8 incher...but still if there is any android tablet to get...this is the one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

I'm looking forward to buying the Nexus 7 case sold by Google. I was told that it's been held back because it infringes on Apples smart cover design. Hopefully if that's true they can find a way to sort that out.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:I'm looking forward to buying the Nexus 7 case sold by Google. I was told that it's been held back because it infringes on Apples smart cover design. Hopefully if that's true they can find a way to sort that out.
If that's the case then that's why my pre order still has yet to ship from the google play store. I haven't heard that though so ummm yeah. Where'd you hear that?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
Rodster wrote:I'm looking forward to buying the Nexus 7 case sold by Google. I was told that it's been held back because it infringes on Apples smart cover design. Hopefully if that's true they can find a way to sort that out.
If that's the case then that's why my pre order still has yet to ship from the google play store. I haven't heard that though so ummm yeah. Where'd you hear that?
A buddy of mine who hates Apple. :)

He heard that the Google case will use a magnet as well when you close the lid and will put the Nexus 7 to sleep.

His Nexus 7 preorder hasn't shown any updates but they are going out according to some on slickdeals. Some even have tracking numbers from Google.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Some things I noticed and liked.

1) You can disable screen lock in the options settings....awesome !

2) You'll have to enable auto-tilt in the settings

3) It has GPS as well as NFC enabled.

4) Click on the Chrome icon and up pops up a menu with other icons. There's a frame inside a frame icon to the right of the Home icon. Touch that and it brings up your recent activity list.

5) A nice assortment of widgets you can drag to the home screen.

6) And best of all. All of your previously purchased apps are available for download on the Nexus 7.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Rodster wrote:6) And best of all. All of your previously purchased apps are available for download on the Nexus 7.
Why is that best of all? It's like that on all devices from all manufacturers, apple, android, etc.

Darkbandit
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by Darkbandit »

To me the best thing about the tablet and I know that its a feature in JB is the Google Voice Search. I tried it out the other day asking about the weather to try it out and it beat out Siri by a mile. I know that its just a start, but I do look forward to seeing what more they have in store

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Darkbandit wrote:To me the best thing about the tablet and I know that its a feature in JB is the Google Voice Search. I tried it out the other day asking about the weather to try it out and it beat out Siri by a mile. I know that its just a start, but I do look forward to seeing what more they have in store
Yeah, Google Now is definitely better than Siri, but like Siri, I really don't see the practical use. I don't use it at all on my GNex.

MizzouRah
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by MizzouRah »

Anyone play Flow free? Damn that little game is quite addicting.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

MizzouRah wrote:Anyone play Flow free? Damn that little game is quite addicting.
Yup.