OT: Petition to get Vin Scully to announce this year's WS

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

OT: Petition to get Vin Scully to announce this year's WS

Post by AJColossal »

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ScullyWS/

I've seen this circulating around Twitter and I thought I would pass it along. I guess along the lines of the FB campaign to get Betty White to host SNL, this is an online petition to get Vin Scully to announce this year's World Series.

I'm sure many of you know and appreciate Vin. He was the voice of the WS on NBC when many of us were growing up, and now does some of the Dodger games when his travel schedule permits. He is now 83 (!), does the broadcast by himself, and is still a marvel and a joy to listen to.

I'm sure absolutely nothing will come of this, and we will be subject to the complete borefest of the usual Fox WS broadcast, but even the most remote thought of this happening, at least once more, makes me happy just to think about.

And seriously, if you have any interest in the game, you owe it to yourself to listen to this man broadcast a baseball game at least once more while we still have him.

LAking
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: OT: Petition to get Vin Scully to announce this year's W

Post by LAking »

I'm all for this. It would be great to have him do a national broadcast one last time before he retires. Also, he does more than some of the Dodger games. As long as they aren't traveling to the eastern time zone he does the games. He just doesn't want to deal with the travel at his age.
"Be tolerant of those who describe a sporting moment as their best ever. We do not lack imagination, nor have we had sad and barren lives; it is just that real life is paler, duller, and contains less potential for unexpected delirium." -Nick Hornby

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

He is the voice of baseball, hands down. Listening to him do a game is comforting, relaxing and just feels right.
XBL-Naples39; Steam-scrub47; GameCenter-MasterOnion39;

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

My favorite too.

Kirk Gibson

"Hig fly ball into right field she is gone!"...then silence for the crowd and the moment....then back to Vin.

Lancer
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Lancer »

I don't know if the network suits would allow this style. These days, to attract the younger demographic of viewers, you have to have guys like Kevin Harlan and Gus Johnson who scream every other play to make a ordinary play sound exciting. I think those days of Scully and relaxing watching a baseball game are long gone in the network's eyes.

Would Joe Buck step back for Scully? I doubt it.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

On a similar note, I don't know why The Show people don't digitize his entire vocabulary for posterity and then make him the default announcer in their game for the rest of time.

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Lancer wrote:I don't know if the network suits would allow this style. These days, to attract the younger demographic of viewers, you have to have guys like Kevin Harlan and Gus Johnson who scream every other play to make a ordinary play sound exciting. I think those days of Scully and relaxing watching a baseball game are long gone in the network's eyes.

Would Joe Buck step back for Scully? I doubt it.
I can see there being some excitement about Scully returning to the WS. Baseball can use the excitement, especially in a ho-hum year with regards to interesting storylines.

I agree, though. There are way too many legalities involved with contracts, etc. where I really can't see how this could work.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Ugh...as much as it's sacrilegious to say...Scully is a bore. Talks to slow and thinks he's interesting when he's not. I don't give a F*ck if Magglio Ordonez' name has two Gs in it. That was yesterdays exciting announcement during the game (or was that two days ago?) either way boring.

Naples, if by comforting, relaxing and feeling right...you mean napping, then yup. You're right. :)

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Ugh...as much as it's sacrilegious to say...Scully is a bore. Talks to slow and thinks he's interesting when he's not. I don't give a F*ck if Magglio Ordonez' name has two Gs in it. That was yesterdays exciting announcement during the game (or was that two days ago?) either way boring.

Naples, if by comforting, relaxing and feeling right...you mean napping, then yup. You're right. :)
I know you prefer this style of announcing and presentation;

AJColossal
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by AJColossal »

Naples39 wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:Ugh...as much as it's sacrilegious to say...Scully is a bore. Talks to slow and thinks he's interesting when he's not. I don't give a F*ck if Magglio Ordonez' name has two Gs in it. That was yesterdays exciting announcement during the game (or was that two days ago?) either way boring.

I know you prefer this style of announcing and presentation;
He actually is going to do color with Vin.

Gurantsu
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Gurantsu »

I would almost take 3 hours of static over Buck and McGarver. Those two are terrible.
2319!

Gamertag: "Gurantsu"

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Gurantsu wrote:I would almost take 3 hours of static over Buck and McGarver. Those two are terrible.
+1

Naples39
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Naples39 »

I don't have a problem with Buck, but McCarver is quite annoying imo.

Teal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Teal »

Scully for WS, and petition Keith Jackson to come back and call every college FB matchup...WHOA, NELLY!
www.trailheadoutfitters.org
trailheadoutfitters.wordpress.com
facebook.com/Intentional.Fatherhood

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

Vin Scully is a walking sleeping pill for me, i love him but damn im asleep 5 minutes later.

XXXIV
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by XXXIV »

Jimmydeicide wrote: i love him but damn im asleep 5 minutes later.
Thats what she said...

Jimmydeicide
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Jimmydeicide »

XXXIV wrote:
Jimmydeicide wrote: i love him but damn im asleep 5 minutes later.
Thats what she said...
:D

greggsand
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by greggsand »

Scully amazes me in that he's the last of "one man in the booth" era. Growing up on Jack Buck then moving to LA in the 90's, I feel pretty lucky to have heard these guys. Scully's age def makes him more "sleepy" lately as some has said here, but once jack buck died (and chick hern), I'm enjoying it while it lasts - flaws & all. If fox, in some way, worked him into the booth for a game (or even an inning), the world series would be no worse for it - that's for sure.
My Tesla referral code - get free supercharger miles!! https://ts.la/gregg43474

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

It doesn't matter to me who FOX puts in the booth for this year's World Series. The games in Cleveland I hope to be at, and the games the Tribe will play in the NL park I'll probably be in some noisy, crowded bar where you won't even be able to hear the announcers anyways. :D

fatheadX
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Post by fatheadX »

I was in Albuquerque last week and they get the Dodgers radio broadcasts (Isotopes are the Dodgers AAA affiliate again). I got to listen to several innings of Scully and it was great. I just love a one man booth and he still does it so well. I find that I almost always like the play-by-play guy and ALWAYS dislike the color man. When the broadcast switched to Steiner and his cohort, I immediately thought the color guy was doing 'moron ex-player' schtick. When I realized it was Rick Monday, I decided maybe he wasn't so bad. However, I can't think of a single second banana in the booth I like to listen to. Of course, I have to endure George Frazier here in Colorado, so that can't help...

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

lexbur wrote:It doesn't matter to me who FOX puts in the booth for this year's World Series. The games in Cleveland I hope to be at, and the games the Tribe will play in the NL park I'll probably be in some noisy, crowded bar where you won't even be able to hear the announcers anyways. :D
The Show 2012 says Cleveland doesn't make it. :)

lexbur
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by lexbur »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
lexbur wrote:It doesn't matter to me who FOX puts in the booth for this year's World Series. The games in Cleveland I hope to be at, and the games the Tribe will play in the NL park I'll probably be in some noisy, crowded bar where you won't even be able to hear the announcers anyways. :D
The Show 2012 says Cleveland doesn't make it. :)
That's tempting, but I think I'll pass this time. I always seem to get in trouble when I bet with my heart instead of my head. :D