Playstation Vita

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Playstation Vita

Post by Rodster »

Amazon is now taking preorders. :)

I ordered the Wifi version.

Wifi $249 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... ssgam08-20

Wifi + 3G $299 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... ssgam08-20

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Playstation Vita

Post by wco81 »

Price is good and it's a sexy piece of gear.

But if you already have a PS3, you're going to be able to play any Vita franchises on an HDTV.

I could pay $60 for Uncharted 3 or I could pay $300 for the Vita and its version of Uncharted. For people who have the type of commute that they can kill some time, or play some at work, it might be worth it. Despite the low price, it would have a better chance if it got apps. that let you do other things besides gaming -- might make it easier for some people to rationalize buying a game-centric device, especially if they have a smartphone already.

3DS may be an indicator of what Vita will face. Sales are below expectations and they're hoping things will change when some bigger games are released.

Slumberland
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Slumberland »

Done and done. Thanks for the link.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

Ok ...enlighten this old f*ck :wink: Is this the newest Psp ?

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

snaz16 wrote:Ok ...enlighten this old f*ck :wink: Is this the newest Psp ?
Ummmm let's see, YES ! :)

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Biggest no-brainer gaming purchase for me ever. Amazing price for an amazing device. Now the long wait begins.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

toonarmy wrote:Biggest no-brainer gaming purchase for me ever. Amazing price for an amazing device. Now the long wait begins.
As mentioned on numerous websites. Sony FINALLY got the message, it's the price stupid !

Hopefully the new PSP will have a better chance as opposed to the PSP Go. I've gotten more into portable gaming because it takes less space without having different devices. I also expect the screen to look incredible. I have a Zune HD and it too uses an OLED screen and they are NICE !

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:
toonarmy wrote:Biggest no-brainer gaming purchase for me ever. Amazing price for an amazing device. Now the long wait begins.
As mentioned on numerous websites. Sony FINALLY got the message, it's the price stupid !

Hopefully the new PSP will have a better chance as opposed to the PSP Go. I've gotten more into portable gaming because it takes less space without having different devices. I also expect the screen to look incredible. I have a Zune HD and it too uses an OLED screen and they are NICE !
The PSP Go was a poorly designed machine with niche appeal on the downslope of the PSP's life. Sony simply assed that one up royally and everyone knew it before the machine even hit shelves. I think the Vita is the opposite -- amazing design, broad appeal, new tech that blows away anything we have yet seen on a handheld. Plus, as you mentioned, a great price. I don't see how it can fail.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

toonarmy wrote:Plus, as you mentioned, a great price. I don't see how it can fail.
I know how. Sony is not exactly in the gaming communities good graces at the moment. A couple more security F ups in the next few months leading up to the release could certainly hurt it's mass appeal and ultimate success. Probably won't, but it certainly won't help.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

dbdynsty25 wrote:
toonarmy wrote:Plus, as you mentioned, a great price. I don't see how it can fail.
I know how. Sony is not exactly in the gaming communities good graces at the moment. A couple more security F ups in the next few months leading up to the release could certainly hurt it's mass appeal and ultimate success. Probably won't, but it certainly won't help.
Anything is possible but I think they are finally pricing this thing as opposed to the idiotic PS3 'fine dining experience' BS marketing. And while Sony has F'd it up big time at least I give them credit for trying to make it right even though they are doling out 4 year old games. :P

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Rodster wrote:
dbdynsty25 wrote:
Anything is possible but I think they are finally pricing this thing as opposed to the idiotic PS3 'fine dining experience' BS marketing. And while Sony has F'd it up big time at least I give them credit for trying to make it right even though they are doling out 4 year old games. :P
Great games and tech at a good price are what will sell systems. I think Sony looks to have all 3 in the case of the Vita. If they had gone the route of the PS3 and price this at 349-399 as a fine dining experience then I think they would have had a tough sell.

snaz16
Starting 5
Starting 5

Post by snaz16 »

So there is HD capability via hdmi or component hook up?

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

snaz16 wrote:So there is HD capability via hdmi or component hook up?
Apparently that's not settled yet. Sony would probably not have to do it, so that they don't encroach on the console business.

But if other mobile devices are offering this capability, they may be forced to.

backbreaker
Panda Cub
Panda Cub

Post by backbreaker »

snaz16 wrote:So there is HD capability via hdmi or component hook up?
I doubt that we will see a tv out for a while. Simply put it would kill the cloud save / transfarr feature. Engadet has a great video of the cloud save feature and it is kick ass I must say. My only downside to this feature is buying 2 copies of the game 1 for vista and 1 for PS3. Now if its bundle with the blu ray copy for 75 or 80 bucks maybe, you know how they do blu ray and digital movies.

Here's the video of PSvista and PS3 cloud save from engadget. I'm thinking The show, MW3, Madden, NBA 2K playing the portable version and saving(while vanpooling) and picking up where I left off. This will be the saving grace of in game saves.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/play ... nuous-cli/

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-hot-shots ... 3101.phtml
The short story is that it's still Hot Shots Golf. But know that it's so high-res that it's almost unbelievable. I asked why it looks so good. A developer told me that some of the models use up to four times the polygons that the PS3 version does. Some of the textures in the game are up to ten times the quality of those in the PS3 version. That's crazy. It is a really, really good looking game. The screenshots do not do it justice.

On the technology front, the developers have implemented lots of Vita-specific controls. Touching the screen lets you set the landing point for your ball. Swiping around the tee lets you scuff leaves out of the way. This is the first HSG game that lets you move your golfer around the tee, and it's done by sliding back and forth on the touchscreen. Flicking your finger across the back touchpad lets you switch camera views.
Looks like really cool stuff, not to mention it's a launch title.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Hot Shots Golf was better suited for the PSP. I never did like it for the PS3. I still have both HSG for the PSP. So i'll definitely buy it for the Vita.

pigpen81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by pigpen81 »

I just can't see pulling the trigger on one when the games will probably be between $20 and $40 when I can play really good quality games on my itouch/smartphone for $1

If the games were $10-$15 then I would probably bite.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

pigpen81 wrote:I just can't see pulling the trigger on one when the games will probably be between $20 and $40 when I can play really good quality games on my itouch/smartphone for $1

If the games were $10-$15 then I would probably bite.
I'm pretty sure you are not going to get PS3-quality games for $1 on the smartphone.

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

You're not going to get "PS3 quality" games on the Vita either.

No on the video out. So they made that mistake on the PSP and then one of the latest incarnations of the PSP they put in the video output.

So smart phones and tablets will start putting video out and will lap the Vita in graphics a generation or two after the Vita's release.

You might get better than Vita quality games for $10 or less eventually.

Feanor
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Feanor »

wco81 wrote:You're not going to get "PS3 quality" games on the Vita either.
Uncharted and Wipeout look near-PS3 quality to me, and they're launch titles. And Vita has a bunch of control options the PS3 doesn't so Vita games may be better than their PS3 counterparts in some instances. I have no personal interest in Little Big Planet, but the huge possibilities opened up for game and level creation by the two multi-touch, pressure sensitive touch screens on the Vita are obvious.

Smart phones and tablets will still not have dual analog sticks, face buttons and shoulder buttons in a generation or two when they will supposedly be lapping the PSV in terms of graphics, so I will still have no interest in playing more than the odd game or two on them. And hooking them up to my HDTV is totally unappealing when I could be hooking up a 360, PS3, PC or Wii U instead.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Again there's a big gap between a smartphone app/game and a game designed for a portable i.e. PSP/DS/3DS etc. I find app games to be fun at times and yes they are inexpensive but a high percentage are gutted or shallow.

I'm playing a soccer game on the Zune HD and it's fun but it's shallow and just meant as a diversion so you can have fun but be able to put it down at a moments notice. Games by companies like Nintendo and Sony offer higher production values.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

wco81 wrote:You're not going to get "PS3 quality" games on the Vita either.

No on the video out. So they made that mistake on the PSP and then one of the latest incarnations of the PSP they put in the video output.

So smart phones and tablets will start putting video out and will lap the Vita in graphics a generation or two after the Vita's release.

You might get better than Vita quality games for $10 or less eventually.
You must not be reading impressions from people from E3. Both Hot Shots and Little Big Planet are being reported as having better graphics than their PS3 counterparts, not to mention they are both more innovative and fun. If you read the blurb I posted earlier in the thread Hot Shots characters have 4x the polygons as those on the PS3 version, and the textures are 10x better quality. You're talking out of your ass again on this one.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

The Activision CEO was asked a similar question Portable gaming device vs Smartphone and iPad by Gamespot.
http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6318814/e3 ... Btitle%3B1

"GS: So Sony is doubling down on the core portable experience with Vita. But a lot of the buzz right now are with games on the iPad, iPhone, and tablets. Do you consider that true gaming or not?

EH: Well, it's a completely different experience. It's a completely different input device. And so the best games on that platform are the games that are being designed to take advantage of that input device's tool and that interface. You know, I think gaming is gaming. I think people paying money for interactive media is a great thing, and I think anything that gets people more interested in interactive media is good for the industry as a whole.

GS: But Activision hasn't really embraced it. Your friends over at EA are all over the iPad and iPhone. Why haven't you guys quite embraced it so fully?

EH: I think that what we're doing is we're trying to use social, mobile as ways to build our core business and to strengthen our corporate image. What we're trying not to do is play app roulette. There are hundreds of thousands of apps at a price point that's a very different proposition from a development standpoint, in a business model is a very different thing."

wco81
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by wco81 »

It is a big IF whether tablets will get good controllers. There's no technical impediment to pairing a bluetooth-based controller.

It's also uncertain how many people will bother to connect their phones and tablets to the big screens. Certainly HTPCs don't have as big a following because people may find it a hassle to bring their PC to the living room and run cable to it and sync it to their HDTVs.

I'll only say that there's incredible competition for mobile chips, far more than there ever was in desktops processors or console processors. Some people are speculating that it might be possible to cluster several SOCs to power a console or for things like servers. So they the bar will be raised every year and the mobile device makers will find ways to use that power.

Apps like Netflix or HBO Go may spur people to hook their iPads to the big screen. Once a large enough number of people do this, some games developers will make games that look good on HDTV and then controller support could follow.

Yes a lot of suppositions but there is way more innovation and competition going on in mobile devices than in any other CE segment.

Activision is doing well selling $60 games, specifically sequels to blockbusters. Mobile games may in general be more shallow but there's more variety and creativity as far as genres. But bigger games doesn't necessarily mean better gameplay or experiences.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

wco81 wrote:Mobile games may in general be more shallow but there's more variety and creativity as far as genres. But bigger games doesn't necessarily mean better gameplay or experiences.

True but I personally will take a known portable franchise over a game app and that's usually what I buy anyway. I am eagerly awaiting The Show on the PSP Vita. That's something that's worthy of a purchase of the device to me at least. And it's something that is not tailored to the game/app crowd.