Playstation Vita

Welcome to the Digital Sportspage forum.

Moderators: Bill_Abner, ScoopBrady

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Re: Playstation Vita

Post by Spooky »

Danimal wrote:I was really expecting some positive reactions, especially from the Sony contingent here on DSP. While the impression haven't been negative they have certainly curtailed my desire to run out and get one next week.
Are you reading the same thread I am? Sure, no one is freaking out about how amazing it is - but I think the early adopters are being cautiously optimistic (and wisely so) and excited.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

Spooky wrote: Are you reading the same thread I am? Sure, no one is freaking out about how amazing it is - but I think the early adopters are being cautiously optimistic (and wisely so) and excited.
I assume we're reading the same thread since we are talking to each other :D Also you pretty much making my point if die hard Sony fans aren't drooling over it that make me wonder.

Anyway here is what I get out of this thread and impressions from others I know

- Hardware is nice, most people don't care for the back touch and some of the ergonomics.
- Games look visually stunning. Which I think we all understand is the biggest selling point of the system however it's not MY biggest selling point.
- Launch games are ok but there is not a system seller in the bunch.
- People would prefer to download games which means investing another $100 in a decent sized proprietary memory stick.

Before the impressions I was buying one next week, that still may happen but haveb't had one friend who got one tell me "you need to run out and buy this so you can play X"
Follow Me on:
YouTube - www.youtube.com/maxpixelation/
Twitch - twitch.tv/maximumpixelation
Twitter - twitter.com/maxpixelation

Spooky
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Spooky »

Danimal wrote:
Spooky wrote: Are you reading the same thread I am? Sure, no one is freaking out about how amazing it is - but I think the early adopters are being cautiously optimistic (and wisely so) and excited.
I assume we're reading the same thread since we are talking to each other :D Also you pretty much making my point if die hard Sony fans aren't drooling over it that make me wonder.

Anyway here is what I get out of this thread and impressions from others I know

- Hardware is nice, most people don't care for the back touch and some of the ergonomics.
- Games look visually stunning. Which I think we all understand is the biggest selling point of the system however it's not MY biggest selling point.
- Launch games are ok but there is not a system seller in the bunch.
- People would prefer to download games which means investing another $100 in a decent sized proprietary memory stick.

Before the impressions I was buying one next week, that still may happen but haveb't had one friend who got one tell me "you need to run out and buy this so you can play X"
Fair enough. Good points.
XBL Gamertag: Spooky Disco

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

I think the main issue is that it's not THAT much different than the original PSP. Yes, it's faster...yes the graphics are better...but ultimately it's a PSP. It's the same situation as going from the iPad to the iPad 2...the wow factor just isn't there. It's an improvement to be sure and the main reason I got it is for The Show...and being able to take my season on the road w/ me and to have it sync up at home on my PS3. THAT is a system seller to me and without that feature being used until 3/6 when it comes out...I don't know how excited I'm going to be.

I played about ten/fifteen minutes of each of my games last night.

Rayman - my favorite of my launch games...just so damn good. It's the perfect game to show the power of the Vita. Awesome graphics, great control and a damn fine game. Luckily I didn't play a TON of the console version so I'll see all the new stuff on the Vita.

Fifa - really awesome for a handheld. Control is great, graphics are good, and I can see this staying in my system for quite a while.

Uncharted - ridiculously good for a handheld. A little difficult to grasp all of the controls on such a small control pad after just recently playing the third installment on the PS3, but can definitely see how awesome this system can be. And it being only a launch title...we're in for a treat going forward with 2nd and 3rd gen games.

Hot Shots Golf - seemed cool...graphics just meh...kind of boring but I didn't get into the meat of the game or anything. Not sure how much play time it'll get going forward, so I'll probably just sell it once The Show comes out.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

DB,

You bring up my biggest selling point playing the Show. I don't travel much for my job anymore so I keep going back and forth is it worth the money for me to sneak in a game of the show during my lunch hour. If I was positive other sports games would follow suit then I would not hesitate but there is no guarantee any other developer is going to use this feature.

I don't know I can't make up my mind :)
Follow Me on:

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

Looks like Lockerz.com is legit. The just shipped F1 2012 which cost me $27. After reading some of the impressions I now wish I hadn't placed my order lol.

Blublub
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Blublub »

Agree with DB completely. The pros vastly overwhelm the cons but for those of us used to the PSP the novelty is not all that great. There's a ton of capability built into the system and the more I get familiar with what it can do the more I'm liking it. There is absolutely no denying it's an amazing amount of handheld technology for the price.

In terms of software, it may be true that there doesn't seem to really be a system-seller in the launch titles, but Uncharted has to come very very close if you're even remotely interested in that sort of game. I think it's been unfairly slighted in many of the reviews for using too many of the Vita's gadgets for control and for not including cinematic cut scenes. Almost all of the new controls can be disabled for the traditional uncharted buttons and sticks (the charcoal rubbings, melee battles and machete seem to be the exception). Some of the uses of the back screen and gyro are really very cool and useful, like "holding" and rotating found objects. I really haven't missed the sweeping cutscenes and wonder if they wouldn't be more of a hindrance than anything on a handheld. At the end of the day, though, it still has that unmistakable Uncharted feel, including the stellar voice acting and scripting.

Sure, the proprietary and expensive memory cards are a REAL drag, but prices HAVE to come down as production ramps up. I am getting a little bored switching between FIFA and Uncharted and am looking forward to giving F1, Katamari and Virtual Tennis a go. I'm definitely holding off on getting anything new until the three-for-two Target sale this weekend.

I wish I knew if PES was going to be released - I've seen it listed on some lists of upcoming titles but can't seem to find anything definitive. I'd wager they will wait until the regular 2013 edition at the end of the summer. Until then the PSP version of 2012 plays very nicely in emulation.

Speaking of which, I gotta say the PSP games play brilliantly - the upscaling is VERY well done and they end up looking better than ever on the new bigger screen. There's talk that some will add support for the second analog stick, which would be a nice bonus.

As much as I'm tempted by Hot Shots Golf, i just never got into the anime thing. Anyone heard whether there are any plans for TW to be ported? I've seen nothing at all on this front, not even rumors.

Edit - anyone have the chance to try Little Deviants? Given the lukewarm reviews, I'm hesitant to open the case in the First Edition package in case I can sell it for anything at all.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I log more hours with handhelds than consoles and I can safely say that the Vita has more than met my expectations thus far. I played Uncharted for 4 hours late last night and had a blast. I actually kind of like the charcoal rubbing, photography, lock combination, etc. stuff. I also like how you can quickly flip in and out of the journal. I am mainly using the old-style controls unless it makes me do the touch screen stuff. I am enjoying this Uncharted as much as the other Uncharted games on the PS3. I've owned about every handheld system ever made and the Vita is the first handheld that I've played that feels remotely close to a console experience. I think the dual sticks, huge gorgeous screen, and quality of games are the reasons.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I am now addicted to Lumines, Wipeout, and Hot Shots. All three of these games are total quality and great fun. I've also messed around with the non-game Vita stuff and think it's very cool. I love the way the system is set up, and I absolutely love that I can click the off button and when I click it back on the game is right there where I left it (PSP did this too). I'm getting spoiled with the cart-based games on the 3DS and Vita. Loading off a disc seems kind of archaic now. Looking over the scores of the huge number of release games I wonder if there has ever been a launch with this number of quality games? I already own 5 games and have my eye on several more, and this is just at launch. The Vita is smooth as hell and I think Sony really did something special here.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

The Vita still very much intrigues me, however I'm going to wait on purchasing for two reasons. I'm interested to see what kid friendly games come down the pipeline and to what extent. I know for me personally, I won't play the Vita much when at home because I'd much prefer playing on the big screen. However, I could see both my son and daughter enjoying playing the Vita in their room or in the family room where I game on the console. The other reason for waiting of course is the price. Eventually, if it falls below or right around the $200 price, I'd be more inclined to purchase. Hopefully, by that time there will be a greater selection of games and the games I'm interested in will be priced lower as well. And perhaps memory pricing will be less expensive as well.

Overall, it sounds like it has a lot of upside. I'm looking forward to jumping in eventually.

sportdan30
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by sportdan30 »

toonarmy wrote:I log more hours with handhelds than consoles and I can safely say that the Vita has more than met my expectations thus far. I played Uncharted for 4 hours late last night and had a blast. I actually kind of like the charcoal rubbing, photography, lock combination, etc. stuff. I also like how you can quickly flip in and out of the journal. I am mainly using the old-style controls unless it makes me do the touch screen stuff. I am enjoying this Uncharted as much as the other Uncharted games on the PS3. I've owned about every handheld system ever made and the Vita is the first handheld that I've played that feels remotely close to a console experience. I think the dual sticks, huge gorgeous screen, and quality of games are the reasons.

BTW, I'm pretty sure I am now addicted to Lumines, Wipeout, and Hot Shots. All three of these games are total quality and great fun. I've also messed around with the non-game Vita stuff and think it's very cool. I love the way the system is set up, and I absolutely love that I can click the off button and when I click it back on the game is right there where I left it (PSP did this too). I'm getting spoiled with the cart-based games on the 3DS and Vita. Loading off a disc seems kind of archaic now. Looking over the scores of the huge number of release games I wonder if there has ever been a launch with this number of quality games? I already own 5 games and have my eye on several more, and this is just at launch. The Vita is smooth as hell and I think Sony really did something special here.
Of the two handhelds, 3DS and Vita, which impressed you more from the initial launch?

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

sportdan30 wrote:
toonarmy wrote:I log more hours with handhelds than consoles and I can safely say that the Vita has more than met my expectations thus far. I played Uncharted for 4 hours late last night and had a blast. I actually kind of like the charcoal rubbing, photography, lock combination, etc. stuff. I also like how you can quickly flip in and out of the journal. I am mainly using the old-style controls unless it makes me do the touch screen stuff. I am enjoying this Uncharted as much as the other Uncharted games on the PS3. I've owned about every handheld system ever made and the Vita is the first handheld that I've played that feels remotely close to a console experience. I think the dual sticks, huge gorgeous screen, and quality of games are the reasons.

Of the two handhelds, 3DS and Vita, which impressed you more from the initial launch?
The Vita has impressed me more at launch simply because of the tech, screen, and number of games. I really like the 3DS a ton and am enjoying a number of games on it, but it still has a handheld feel to it. In other words, despite the cool 3D stuff, it still feels like the traditional handheld experience. The Vita really does give off a pint-sized console experience -- like it's a mini-PS3. I've read some criticism of the Vita from people who say what's the point of playing familiar franchises on the Vita when you can play them on a big TV. They feel like the Vita is nothing more than a small PS3 essentially. My feeling on that is "Great!". I more than welcome having a big vibrant screen with near console quality games. Despite Sony trying to appeal to a more mass audience with all of the functions of the Vita and social networking things, it's still a gaming device first and foremost. In that respect it delivers the goods IMO.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

So how does it work in playing your PSP games. Maybe I am just not informed enough but you need to buy and download old PSP games to play them right?
Follow Me on:

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

Danimal wrote:So how does it work in playing your PSP games. Maybe I am just not informed enough but you need to buy and download old PSP games to play them right?
There are about 275 PSP games available now for download directly to the Vita in the PSN store that you get on your Vita. For games that are not among those 275 (hundreds others), you can DL them to the PS3 from the PSN store then transfer them from the PS3 to the Vita. You can also take games on the PSP GO or PSP and transfer them to the PS3 then transfer from there to the Vita. It's fairly fast and seamless.

Danimal
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Danimal »

toonarmy wrote:
Danimal wrote:So how does it work in playing your PSP games. Maybe I am just not informed enough but you need to buy and download old PSP games to play them right?
There are about 275 PSP games available now for download directly to the Vita in the PSN store that you get on your Vita. For games that are not among those 275 (hundreds others), you can DL them to the PS3 from the PSN store then transfer them from the PS3 to the Vita. You can also take games on the PSP GO or PSP and transfer them to the PS3 then transfer from there to the Vita. It's fairly fast and seamless.
Thanks but i have to rebuy the games right? If so any idea of the cost?
Follow Me on:

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Danimal wrote:Thanks but i have to rebuy the games right? If so any idea of the cost?
I believe if you've already purchased the game via PSN, you'll be able to re-download it. However, if you're talking about PSP games from physical media...you won't be able to transfer those games. Sony cancelled that in the US and UK.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

db is correct. If you've paid for it on PSN already then it's free, however if it's a UMD game that you want on your Vita then you have to purchase the digital copy on PSN. It sucks that Sony never came out with a kit that allows people to convert UMDs to digital so that they could be played on the GO, and of course the Vita. I guess they were worried that people would be able to share UMDs and go hog wild.

Rodster
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by Rodster »

PS Vita Japanese devs jumping ship 'largely exaggerated' - Sony

http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps-vita-de ... ny-6350538

While i'll give Sony the benefit of the doubt on this one. There has to be some truth to it.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

I did 12 races in online career tonight in Wipeout. Race length varied from 1 to 10 laps. Online racing is very smooth and I never had any stuttering. The online race career looks like it is quite lengthy, which is a good thing. A couple of the tracks are really tough with some nasty hairpins.

ScoopBrady
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by ScoopBrady »

I got more of a chance to play with the Vita last night and I love it.

I played some Little Deviants and it is definitely a training ground for what the console is capable of control-wise. It's basically a bunch of mini games that are perfect for quick gaming sessions. One of the games I played last night had 6 windows that would open randomly. If there was a robot inside you needed to push him out from behind. So if he was facing you then you had to use the rear touchscreen and if he was facing the back you used the front. They mixed in kids and if you pushed them you incurred a time penalty. As the levels progressed they started throwing some of the Little Deviants in the windows as well as kids dressed as robots. It was actually pretty fun and a good way to get used to that back touchscreen.

I played some ModNation Racers and was pleased to see that all of the mods available in the PS3 version are available on the Vita as well. I can't wait to start making my own mods using the touchscreen. The load times are a little long (just like the PS3 version) but it controls very well and looks good. Plus it has all of those mods and new Vita ones being made.

Finally, I played more Uncharted: Golden Abyss. If you are a big fan of the Uncharted series like I am then this is your system seller right here. This game is fantastic. It looks great and it brings some new touches to gameplay. You can climb ledges like you do on the PS3 or you can trace a path and Nate will follow it. You can use the back touchscreen to climb up and down vines or the accelerometer to swing or aim.

This piece of hardware really is impressive. It is everything I hoped for in the next PSP and then some. Rumor has it that a future firmware release will enable remote play for all PS3 games. That would be awesome.
I am a patient boy.
I wait, I wait, I wait, I wait.
My time is water down a drain.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

IGN has an interesting article up that explains that Sony is going to allow Vita users to DL and play some PS3 games on the Vita for one price:
Sony has announced that when PlayStation Vita launches on 22 February you will be able to download MotorStorm RC, Hustle Kings, Top Darts, WipEout HD and HD Fury DLC for WipEout 2048 and Capcom's, Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 DLC on the PlayStation Store that will let you play them on both PS3 and PS Vita for one price.

And if you already own any of the above games on your PS3, you will be able to download the equivalent software to your PS Vita for free, and vice versa. So there's no longer any need to purchase the same content twice.
That's flippin awesome! It will be cool to play Wipout HD and Fury on the Vita.

Full article: http://vita.ign.com/articles/121/1218886p1.html

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

I finally had my chance to pick up my pre-order today as my travels lately held me back from Vita's release date. I already own the original phat PSP and I had the chance to play with the Vita before, so when I opened the bundle it wasn't much of a surprise other than feeling 'Damn Sony, this is where the original PSP should have been all about'.

I am downright smitten. From the lightness of the VIta to the beautiful screen, this is the best handheld ever made. The analog sticks are very responsive, and I can't wait to try a good shooter with it. The bundle came with 'Uncharted' as part of the promotion BB had in Canada along 'Little Deviants' which my kid can't put down and I also picked up Fifa, VT and HSG. The lighting and water effects on 'Uncharted' along the environment and details are something to experience.

With all the phones and tablets out there, where the price of the software is much more affordable, my fear is that this beautiful handheld arrived a bit late to the party and it may not gather the consumer traction it deserves. While the visuals were outstanding on games like VT and Uncharted, it still not quite at par to the level of the PS3.

Navigating through the screen was fun, intuitive and quite responsive and I look forward to use remote play more often in the future as the current liaise with the PS3 is a bit limited. The browser is OK, not the best, I like the Maps app and I am sure that in future updates, more apps will be added to the screen.

My only complain so far are the little hatches where you need to open them and install your games, memory card, cable etc as they are quite finicky and I just struggled with them. Unless I have a thin little bladed knife, I just can't open them with my nails. One accessory I may invest in a future is a screen protector, but I'll see how the screen behaves after I put a few more hours to it, as it's just beautiful as it is.

So aside some minor quibbles, this is the handheld that any serious gamer should own and Sony should have come up with maybe two, three years ago. It's going to be up to the quality of the software and pricing for this machine to shine. And that's where the public may just turn aside and go with the cheaper games on their phones and tablets. I want to be wrong and say the VIta will end up as the king of handhelds but I am also a realist, and with today's economy and the ever strong emergence of companies like Samsung and Apple, the Japanese company may find a long hard battle ahead. The PS store is cool and all that but the digital games must come close to the pricing being offer in other app stores.

In the meantime, I know I am going to be a happy camper and this baby is going to be in my cabin bag whenever I travel.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Get a screen protector. The official sony ones. They fit perfectly and don't reduce the screen quality...all while minimizing fingerprints and obviously scratches. I remember the original PSP was really easy to scratch...so I'd imagine this one, with you touching the screen all the time will scratch easier. It's worth the ten bucks or so.

toonarmy
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by toonarmy »

10spro wrote:My only complain so far are the little hatches where you need to open them and install your games, memory card, cable etc as they are quite finicky and I just struggled with them. Unless I have a thin little bladed knife, I just can't open them with my nails.
Haha. When I first got the Vita I had the darndest time getting those open. After opening them a lot I can now do it without much problem, but it was definitely frustrating at first. I hope those little tethers do not easily break.

dbdynsty25
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by dbdynsty25 »

Wow, Virtua Tennis on the Vita is good. Played the demo at Best Buy and came home and downloaded it right away. Impressive as hell on a handheld.

The system impresses me more and more each day. March 6th and the Show can't get here soon enough. So stoked for that.

10spro
DSP-Funk All-Star
DSP-Funk All-Star

Post by 10spro »

dbdynsty25 wrote:Wow, Virtua Tennis on the Vita is good. Played the demo at Best Buy and came home and downloaded it right away. Impressive as hell on a handheld.

The system impresses me more and more each day. March 6th and the Show can't get here soon enough. So stoked for that.
Yes and I have been ditching this game for the past few years. Looks like the career mode is deep too. Player models are very sharp. My only gripe is the camera angle focused on the far court when the ball is about to be hit, haven't checked if there are other camera options though.